Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Return of Republic of Telly

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Thought it was very funny last night. Some very funny pieces and Tubridy seemed to be a good sport for the LLS sketch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,994 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

tallpaul wrote: »
    Thought it was very funny last night. Some very funny pieces and Tubridy seemed to be a good sport for the LLS sketch.

Will.I.Am is some pr*ck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

The Damo and Ivor thing will never be funny

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭DyldeBrill

Worst Comedy Show Evvvvvvverrrr!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭el diablo

Namlub wrote: »
    The Damo and Ivor thing will never be funny

Maybe so, but they're still vastly funnier than them Elastic Bandits. :rolleyes:

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

el diablo wrote: »
    Maybe so, but they're still vastly funnier than them Elastic Bandits. :rolleyes:

Elastic Bandits? Good one.
    Not saying either of them are sophisticated humour but Damo and Ivor is just a Ross O'Carroll Kelly rip-off five years too late and five times less funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

That's why Damo and Ivor have been picked up by Channel 4 for their own show I suppose then! :pac:

That's why Damo and Ivor have been picked up by Channel 4 for their own show I suppose then! :pac:

Ah that's great news. fair play to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

Anybody catch this last night?

Pretty impressive that they were able to film this in one shot.

Jesus, this show is pathetic. Or maybe I'm too old for this shít (I assume it's aimed at teenagers). :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm mindyour****ingbusiness and have to say I quite enjoy it. Probably shouldn't but its got a bit of the old late night Channel 4 about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭technocrat

Jennifer Maguire the most unfunny person on tv.
    Her sketch tonight as the tourist official was cringeworthy!

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭DubArk

Jesus, this show is pathetic. Or maybe I'm too old for this shít (I assume it's aimed at teenagers). :confused:

Maybe it's you're not old enough? ;)

• Advertisement

Not the best finale show last night

DubArk wrote: »
    Maybe it's you're not old enough? ;)

Yes. maybe that's it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭furiousox

What about that dress that "Jen" appeared in at the end...wow!

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 30 coffeeandshoes

I worked for Jen and I can pretty much confirm that yes, she is a twat. And a mean one at that.. Cost's nothing to be nice :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Bump for the start of yet another series - the seventh, if I'm right in thinking.

picard-facepalm1.jpg

And, as surprising as grass being green, the other horribly cheap and painfully unfunny comedy that Jennifer Maguire does airs immediately beforehand.

double-facepalm-picard-riker.jpg

If the folks at Montrose weren't ghastly dehumanised morons, they would know that they can do way better than this - and it wouldn't cost them a lot of money, either.

• Advertisement

Quite possible the biggest load of crap ever produced by RTÉ. I switched off after ten minutes.

I think this must be aimed at school kids/young students or maybe I'm just getting old. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

I actually kinda enjoyed some bits of last years. So I was somewhat looking forward to this. Jesus H, I must have been high on crack or it got a whole lot worse, but that was shockingly bad. That robogarda sounded like one of the rubberbandits, if so, hang yer head in shame lad! Caught 10 minutes of the Fear, wow, 40 minutes of cringetastic badness. Never again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,266 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

The Robocop was f**in hilarious!!

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭lods

The Robocop was f**in hilarious!!

No it wasn't. pretty **** show last night. besst bits were taking the piss out of masterchef

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

yeah that was the only half decent bit. they're at their best when taking the piss out of current rte programmes like they did last year with the afternoon show, fair city, and that pet rescue thing. wanderly ****in wagon? talk about scraping the barrel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Really enjoyed this last year, but was very poor last night.

That Robocop thing was brutal, and then they say if you want to see full Robocop version watch on website!! If that was the best 5 mins they could pull from however long it was, can't imagine how bad the rest was.

Need to up their game a bit to keep viewers.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Darth Floodric

Shocking show.hate to knock our own and I always root for Irish talent but this was absolutely tragic

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Chocoholic84

Best bits - taking the pee outta Masterchef.

Worst bit - when Dermot cracked that Christian Brothers joke. Disgusting & unfunny. He's gone way down in my estimation after that :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

They're filming in eyre square today. Saw them earlier

This show had a lot of promise. It seems to have died.

• Advertisement

not much chat about it so far this year! Don't think i even smiled watching last nights!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,531 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I watched today's one online in work at lunch today and I thought it was funny enough.

Much better (or consistent) then last two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Quite possible the biggest load of crap ever produced by RTÉ. I switched off after ten minutes.

I think this must be aimed at school kids/young students or maybe I'm just getting old. :)
    You've been telling us on pretty much every page how "crap" it is. If you dislike it so much, why keep coming back to watch it, and then coming on here bitching about it.

Just don't watch it. We don't need to hear you repeating yourself over and over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Hadn't seen this show in a year and two and decided to tune it for the most recent one..

.. good jesus, it's poor!

Is it just me or do the audience genuinely seem like they're not enjoying themselves? Everytime there's a joke made by Dermot Whelan, it focuses on a group of audience members that stare at each other or around and do the most exaggerated laugh possible.

Absolute trash!

Basq wrote: »
    Hadn't seen this show in a year and two and decided to tune it for the most recent one..

.. good jesus, it's poor!

Is it just me or do the audience genuinely seem like they're not enjoying themselves? Everytime there's a joke made by Dermot Whelan, it focuses on a group of audience members that stare at each other or around and do the most exaggerated laugh possible.

Absolute trash!
    I doubt any of the crowd reactions are related to the jokes, looks heavily edited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Gibbonw2

I just seen a video of a sketch on this show making light of paedophelia within the church and the Jimmy Saville affair. Crude, insensitive, unfunny and all funded by the taxpayer. Imagine making jokes on a state broadcaster circa 98 about Omagh or about the 2 kids killed by their father last year? What is the difference? Cheap, distasteful and ultimately unwitty.

grenache wrote: »
    You've been telling us on pretty much every page how "crap" it is. If you dislike it so much, why keep coming back to watch it, and then coming on here bitching about it.

Just don't watch it. We don't need to hear you repeating yourself over and over.

Maybe you should read my post again. It states that I switched off after ten minutes of the first episode this season and haven't it watched since..

Dermot must be happy Maura Derrane is back on tv now :p

Gibbonw2 wrote: »
    I just seen a video of a sketch on this show making light of paedophelia within the church and the Jimmy Saville affair. Crude, insensitive, unfunny and all funded by the taxpayer. Imagine making jokes on a state broadcaster circa 98 about Omagh or about the 2 kids killed by their father last year? What is the difference? Cheap, distasteful and ultimately unwitty.
    You're little analogy about omagh and infanticide makes no sense...

• Advertisement

My analogy isnt subjective. I am merely saying that serious sensitive issues like this shouldn't be used for cheap, crude 'humour' by a responsible state broadcaster. You cant compare crimes like the Omagh bomb, paedophelia and kidnapping etc but all were, are and will continue to be seriously sensitive issues which when highlighted in a joke become grossly offensive to most people. I just said that imagine a fictional scenario where Republic Of Telly did a sketch on the Omagh Bomb or MM being abducted. I over complicated it with the analogy but surely you get my point? If not, i'm not too bothered. If you find it funny, thats your perogative!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

It has certainly gotten worse over the years.

Ah, in fairness, from what i've seen, this is a one off. Most is innocent, childish humour with some funny bits when they take the pi$$ out of tv. The worst bits are the 'real republic' which is just a gag going on 3 years and the video on the street at night (again its the same drunken antics over and over). That jen one is intolerable also, comedy really isnt a path she should take and your man Bernard must be desperate for the shillings to characterise himself as that. But as i said thats all harmless, silly humour which some people find funny so so be it. I rarely watch it, if ever, but sharing an apartment, sometimes you dont have a choice. But making light of the paedophelia issue wasn't appropriate. Just my tuppence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Gibbonw2 wrote: »
    But making light of the paedophelia issue wasn't appropriate. Just my tuppence.

In fairness BBC Ulster did that themselves

Bernard is gas, lol'd at 50 shades of tea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭homeless student

40% of the show is pretty funny but some is painfully unfunny like the real republic and when they take the camera to whatever small town and let drunk people make a show of themselves CRINGE

• Advertisement

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Bernard is gas, lol'd at 50 shades of tea
    i find even mentioning 50 s o g means you have no material (not "you" liz, people on tv)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 454 ✭✭Israel_Dagg

...is absolutely shocking.

Not funny at all. Crowd don't look too amused either.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭RVD420

They took a swipe at boards too, describing one of their features "like boards.ie but without the typos or racism". :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭passremarkable

that martin muff character is dreadful, how do they let it go out on air

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Sully34

First time Ive sat down to watch Republic of telly and to be honest I would rather take a hammer to the face than sit down and watch that rubbish again. What has gone wrong with Irish comedy,Dermot Morgan must be rolling in his grave. And dont get me started on that ****ing Savage Eye

• Advertisement
Advertisement