Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Return of Republic of Telly

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

An awful, awful show.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭passremarkable

Sully34 wrote: »
    First time Ive sat down to watch Republic of telly and to be honest I would rather take a hammer to the face than sit down and watch that rubbish again. What has gone wrong with Irish comedy,Dermot Morgan must be rolling in his grave. And dont get me started on that ****ing Savage Eye
    yea lot of it is tripe, there is a few segments that are funny in republic of telly amounting to about 2/3 mins telly, poor enough otherwise, your man bernard o shea is just not funny at all, his jokes are so obvious and just terrible.as for savage eye, its just a brutal show!!gone are the days when we used to look forward to friends and father ted on a monday nights

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,531 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Enjoyed the Ballbag remake letters and the Real Republic.

Rest was so-so.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Sully34

yea lot of it is tripe, there is a few segments that are funny in republic of telly amounting to about 2/3 mins telly, poor enough otherwise, your man bernard o shea is just not funny at all, his jokes are so obvious and just terrible.as for savage eye, its just a brutal show!!gone are the days when we used to look forward to friends and father ted on a monday nights
    I think the 2/3 minutes must be clips from other shows. Ive never seen a show so bad that you can tell the punchline before its even badly delivered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭el diablo

Savage Eye is great. The humour would go over the head of your typical Republic of Telly fan though.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭passremarkable

Sully34 wrote: »
    I think the 2/3 minutes must be clips from other shows. Ive never seen a show so bad that you can tell the punchline before its even badly delivered

yea think your bang on there, its so poor, its only funny when they show clips of the other shows.they should just scrap it at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Sully34

el diablo wrote: »
    Savage Eye is great. The humour would go over the head of your typical Republic of Telly fan though.
    I think it goes over the head of anyone over the age of four

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

They should stick to just taking the piss out of other shows and damo and ivor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,266 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

The swipe at boards would have been ok if they could counter the criticism by being funny for once this series. It's become a parody of itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

The swipe at boards would have been ok if they could counter the criticism by being funny for once this series. It's become a parody of itself.

I have to admit I did laugh at the Boards.ie reference

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Terrible show, who ever writes this **** must have some sort of mental retardation. I say even the most hardened culchie doesnt find martin muff funny or that horrible tractor sketch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

JM Skipton wrote: »

I have to admit I did laugh at the Boards.ie reference
    You only have to stumble into AH to see the point.

Was it on tonight?

Was it on tonight?

Yeah, I wasn't watching though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Yeah, I wasn't watching though.

You were lucky... awful does begin to describe it.

When you think about it, it's a double whammy of sh1te: Rosenstock followed by this crap and sadly, both home produced.

I do enjoy Friday Night Dinner that follows them though!

Just watched it on the player now. My lord what a pile of crap it is. What's worse is they know it themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

GOD HELP US ALL!!!!

Damo & Ivor have been given their own show. :(

https://www.facebook.com/damoandivor

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 454 ✭✭Israel_Dagg

Does anyone actually like it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

They should stick to just taking the piss out of other shows

I think this is actually what they do best and is usually the funniest bit each week. Even though it's essentially just a rehash of what Harry Hill used to do (although not as well as he did it).

Not sure whether they could stretch it out for a full 30 minutes though but they definitely need to do more of that and less of Bernard. Bernard's news is just painful.

• Advertisement

They need to drop that 24 hour camera on the street thing, Bernards news also.

The real republic is not too bad.

They need to drop that 24 hour camera on the street thing, Bernards news also.

The real republic is not too bad.

The whole show needs to be dropped. It has no redeeming features and then we have the idiot presenter laughing at his own crappy juvenile jokes.

I'd rather watch the Big Fat Kathleen Lynch Breakfast Show than this. :eek:

I'd rather watch the Big Fat Kathleen Lynch Breakfast Show than this.
    Steady on there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,318 ✭✭✭✭briany

The whole show needs to be dropped. It has no redeeming features and then we have the idiot presenter laughing at his own crappy juvenile jokes.

I'd rather watch the Big Fat Kathleen Lynch Breakfast Show than this. :eek:

It's given a forum to some decent Irish comedians. It makes fun of TV3 - the channel that's like if Channel 4 and Channel 5 had a baby that had apparently no budget and tasteless, parochial sensibilities. These are worthwhile things, IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

My lord what a pile of crap it is. What's worse is they know it themselves.

If they know it's crap, then why do they keep on making it?

Oh, wait...

euro-money-notes.jpg

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;););)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I like it and its better than the Big fat breakfast show and mario rosenstock show put together!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

I used to love watching Republic of Telly but Its not as good as it used to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I like a bit of smut and crudeness but it's gone too far imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,995 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

New series started back last Monday

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    exactly ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

I like Dermot having a sarcastic look at other Programmes, however what in the name of god was that video game stuff at the end? dreadful !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 silverdolphin

I'm not normally one to bitch on boards.ie, but I think most of you have a point. That 'Off the air' sketch (a parody of 'Off the Rails') was dreadful. The parts where Bernard spitted fruit and vomited on a woman was disgusting and vulgar, I don't know how anyone can find that funny. I think the show used to be good during Neil Delamere's stint, but now it's turned into the horsemeat lasagne of Irish comedy. Come to think of it, it's sad if this is representative of Irish comedy today. Where did all the funny Irish comedians go?

the show peaked when dermot took over from delamere....i believe then dermot and co got creative control over the show....that's when things started to die...
    at this stage as mentioned above the comedy look at tv shows is the only thing going for it

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭sleepyman

the show peaked when dermot took over from delamere....i believe then dermot and co got creative control over the show....that's when things started to die...
    at this stage as mentioned above the comedy look at tv shows is the only thing going for it

The video game thing was utter ****e.The only good thing was the tv review as other posters mentioned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Yep - the eighth series, and awfully soon after the seventh as well...

picard-facepalm.jpgpicard-facepalm.jpgpicard-facepalm.jpg

It's probably fair to say that by this stage, they've worn away the bottom of the barrel as a result of scraping it so much.

And it's probably fair to say that the automatons at Montrose will take completely the opposite view, and say that the show is still very good, very funny and very successful - just like Mrs Brown's Boys. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Just what will convince them to pull the plug?!

RTE probably think it's "hip" and "Zany"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Weak sauce.

More laughs in after hours......... and that's free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭I_smell_fear

I haven't seen either of this seasons shows which is largely due to the fact that it has been getting worse for a while now. I think the show should try and follow the SNL template more, having a decent set of writers behind the scenes. There's plenty of very good comedians in Ireland who could do a job there. It's okay having Jennifer Maguire and Dermot Whelan (but please stop laughing at your own 'hilarious' jokes) as performers on the show if they just got better joke writers. Instead they opt for the cheaper option of asking amateurs to send their videos in (which is fine when you get the rare decent idea/video).

Although I've noticed some of the Hardy Bucks lads have become involved in the show to some degree recently which might improve things. Following them on twitter and the likes they seem to be genuinely funny lads. I think the Hardy Bucks show almost seemed like a satire of that 'type of humour/Irish countryness' rather than showing their natural humour. Well I'm more or less basing that opinion on the sketches I've seen them involved in such as the 'Man Who Slipped On The Ice' and this one recently:

*Having read that, money is probably the main issue at RTE so maybe they're doing as much as they can within their limits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

I really like Dermot Whelan, especially on d'radio, but as this show declines, so does he. Needs to be scrapped or get a new format.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭choo choo man

Jason Todd wrote: »
    I really like Dermot Whelan, especially on d'radio, but as this show declines, so does he. Needs to be scrapped or get a new format.

I agree, this show gets worse season by season.

poor enough

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

I must be one of a few who likes it

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Cris Jones

Jordonvito wrote: »
    It's a pity, cos anyone that has gone to see a delamare show will tell you how brilliant and witty he is, compared to this scripted unimaginative excuse for a show.
    Hi, i like that you gave your opinion, I don't like The Republic of Telly. it really isn't any good.

Neil Delamere programme on St Patrick I didn't like either. He goes too far and isn't funny at the end of it. Just trying to make a name for himself..he won't be heard of in hundreds of years to come .. unlike Saint Patrick...

I was once told that i really should go see Delemere and that he was that funny the person in question would actually buy me a DVD of him to prove how funny he is! That got me thinking "this guy must be funny"!
    So i showed my mate some Stuart Lee and jim jeffries and it went so far over his head that I decided maybe delamere might not be for me!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

anyone watch the show last night? it's absolute cack but there was a skankwives sketch with some irish models, anyone know who the blonde one is? need to know for science

kAXE8ovl.jpg

anyone watch the show last night? it's absolute cack but there was a skankwives sketch with some irish models, anyone know who the blonde one is? need to know for science

9qKHlOH.jpg

Your one Nikita from Tallafornia was on some sketch

HAve to say i laughed quite a lot at the sketch last week from Mulingar...some young girl walking around the town, possibly the funniest character on the show this year!

Dermot is not coming back as presenter so who will take over now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Dermot is not coming back as presenter so who will take over now?

Really? Source?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭brian_t

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Really? Source?
    I had such a ball but I'm leaving the show. No more jokes left."

Republic of Telly continues without Dermot

• Advertisement

This show is pathetic. Time for it to die.

Advertisement