Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Return of Republic of Telly

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

el diablo wrote: »
    This show is pathetic. Time for it to die.

It continued on just fine when Delamere left and I'm sure it will continue on now too...

The TV license inspector hounds the people of Ireland, to fund this guff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

brian_t wrote: »

Now why do I get the impression from that article that the folks at the Indo love this show, and are delighted that RTE are keeping it going...? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

That said, I do believe that they've lost count of how many series there have been - I make the next one the ninth rather than the sixth. ;)

The show began in autumn 2009, and ever since, there has been a series every autumn and every spring, as follows:

S1: autumn '09
    S2: spring '10
    S3: autumn '10 (Dermot took over from Neil Delamere this series)
    S4: spring '11
    S5: autumn '11
    S6: spring '12
    S7: autumn '12
    S8: spring '13

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Now why do I get the impression from that article that the folks at the Indo love this show, and are delighted that RTE are keeping it going...? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

That said, I do believe that they've lost count of how many series there have been - I make the next one the ninth rather than the sixth. ;)

The show began in autumn 2009, and ever since, there has been a series every autumn and every spring, as follows:

S1: autumn '09
    S2: spring '10
    S3: autumn '10 (Dermot took over from Neil Delamere this series)
    S4: spring '11
    S5: autumn '11
    S6: spring '12
    S7: autumn '12
    S8: spring '13

I think they count some of those as one season with a break in the middle.

As far as I know they're announcing the presenter today. It's not Bernard or Jennifer I heard, rather one of the guys that's appeared in a lot of their sketches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,112 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

AnonoBoy wrote: »

As far as I know they're announcing the presenter today. It's not Bernard or Jennifer I heard, rather one of the guys that's appeared in a lot of their sketches.

The Viper ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Following their success on the Republic of Telly, Damo and Ivor are back on RTÉ Two with a brand new comedy/drama alongside a stellar cast including Rik Mayall (The Young Ones), Ruth McCabe (Single-Handed), and Norma Sheehan (Moone Boy)."

PTH2009 wrote: »
    The Viper ??

Simcard apparently. Just got announced this morning.

evilivor wrote: »
    Following their success on the Republic of Telly, Damo and Ivor are back on RTÉ Two with a brand new comedy/drama alongside a stellar cast including Rik Mayall (The Young Ones), Ruth McCabe (Single-Handed), and Norma Sheehan (Moone Boy)."

Rik Mayall? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Rik Mayall? :confused:

Never heard of Rik Mayall?

Famous for The Young Ones & Bottom. He's quite good with a live audience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Simcard apparently. Just got announced this morning.

Also the fella who slipped on the ice.

• Advertisement

If so, then I can only presume that they count the six with Dermot as three two-parters (the first parts in the autumn and the second parts in the spring), and the two with Neil as separate.

Which is ever so slightly on the ridiculous side, IMHO. :o

(This is the Indo we're talking about here, after all. That said, I wouldn't be all that surprised if it turned out that that actually is how the folks at Montrose have been doing it... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;))

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Nobody knows how to count the seasons of Republic of Telly, as they've all been split series. However, to answer the question, Kevin McGahern from the Hardy Bucks is the new presenter of the Republic of Telly.

http://www.rte.ie/about/en/press-office/press-releases/2013/0808/467094-rte-television-launches-new-season/

icdg wrote: »
    Nobody knows how to count the seasons of Republic of Telly, as they've all been split series.

Well, if the two runs of episodes (careful wording there) with Neil were also counted as one series, then the series coming up would be the fifth - and hence the Indo would be wrong. ;)

I personally prefer to consider each run of episodes as a separate series, anyway - so I'm sticking with my claim that this next series will be the ninth. :o:);)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,995 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

icdg wrote: »
    Nobody knows how to count the seasons of Republic of Telly, as they've all been split series. However, to answer the question, Kevin McGahern from the Hardy Bucks is the new presenter of the Republic of Telly.

http://www.rte.ie/about/en/press-office/press-releases/2013/0808/467094-rte-television-launches-new-season/

I thought Bernard would get the job

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I thought Bernard would get the job

The problem with that (or Jennifer Maguire) is that neither of them are really themselves on the show any more, O'Shea never was at all and Maguire only really played it straight in the very early episodes. Both of them play characters now (neither of which are particularly likeable) which is grand in their current roles but had they took over the host's role they'd have to play it straight - playing it in their current characters would meant the show would die a very swift death. As it is I can't see it lasting beyond this season now.

Dempsey wrote: »
    Never heard of Rik Mayall?

Famous for The Young Ones & Bottom. He's quite good with a live audience.

Of course I've heard of him. Just surprised to see him roped into something as low-rent as Damo and Ivor (which incidentally isn't going to be a live show but some manner of god awful sitcom I think)

Ugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Of course I've heard of him. Just surprised to see him roped into something as low-rent as Damo and Ivor (which incidentally isn't going to be a live show but some manner of god awful sitcom I think)

Ugh.

So, the show is low-rent and godawful which you've already decided in spite of the fact that it hasn't aired yet and nobody has seen it. On top of that, your "ugh" would indicate some kind of dis-satisfaction that someone who's previous work you've possibly liked, is also in the show. That's some great logic.

So, the show is low-rent and godawful which you've already decided in spite of the fact that it hasn't aired yet and nobody has seen it.

I've seen the sketches on Republic of telly and disliked them. I'm guessing unless they change the writers and performers (which they haven't) then I will more than likely dislike this.

Not rocket science to figure it out.

Also - I wouldn't say that 'nobody' has seen it. There's advance word on these things - haven't seen it myself but have heard that it's pretty much more of the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭NoClues

Looking forward to this kicking off tonight, is it just Jennifer maguire and Bernard oshea presenting or who's that new guy(just saw the ad there)

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭TextureLikeSun

Dire dire dire :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Ahhh......no this isn't working anymore.......

The pub sketch wasn't bad, everything else so far tho. . I mean rubber bandits aren't funny.. any more

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭TextureLikeSun

I know im so let down :-\ what happened to Dermot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I miss Dermot

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭celtic tiger 2011

How is this ****e still on television. It was ****e ,it is ****e, and it always and forever will be ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭colinod0806

Was it just me or did the rubberbandits seem different to anyone else?

Rte are looking to increase the license fee so they can produce more quality programmes like this

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭SRFC

NoClues wrote: »
    The pub sketch wasn't bad, everything else so far tho. . I mean rubber bandits aren't funny.. any more

Never were,they are robbing a living if RTE is paying them any money for them sketches,

Pathetic show should be axed asap,dont mind bernard on his own rest is pure rubbish.

I don't see why this thread can't be merged with:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055828709

:o:o:);)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

New episode is up on the RTE Player, it's pretty damn good too, far better than I was expecting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Owen_S wrote: »
    New episode is up on the RTE Player, it's pretty damn good too, far better than I was expecting.

Good?????
    That was quite possibly the worst thing I have ever seen on Irish television. There wasn't a single moment that even got a smile from me, let alone a laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,266 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

major improvement on last year, sim card played a stormer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

Good?????
    That was quite possibly the worst thing I have ever seen on Irish television. There wasn't a single moment that even got a smile from me, let alone a laugh.

Haha worst thing on Irish television? You probably haven't seen Twink on the Late Late Show :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Owen_S wrote: »
    Haha worst thing on Irish television? You probably haven't seen Twink on the Late Late Show :pac:

Id rather watch that one covering Get Lucky for the rest of the day before watching Bernard o'Shea again

Watched it.

Think the new presenter is good.

Thought the sketches were hit and miss - the Irish Pub stuff was a bit weak. The quickfire gags worked better in the Parents in the 80s stuff they did last season.

Rubberbandits must be kicking themselves that their Channel 4 show fell through and they're back in Montrose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Rubberbandits must be kicking themselves that their Channel 4 show fell through and they're back in Montrose.

It's a pity. The stuff they produced for channel 4 was pretty good. They're great talents.

Watched it.

Think the new presenter is good.

Thought the sketches were hit and miss - the Irish Pub stuff was a bit weak. The quickfire gags worked better in the Parents in the 80s stuff they did last season.

are you for real? The bandits are a huge success critical and ticket sales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

ShagNastii wrote: »
    It's a pity. The stuff they produced for channel 4 was pretty good. They're great talents.

Liar Liar Danny Dyer, get him in a headlock!!

are you for real? The bandits are a huge success critical and ticket sales.

Yeah I know. I like 'em.

Doesn't change the fact that their Channel 4 series fell through does it? :confused:

Let's face it, if it hadn't we wouldn't be seeing them on Republic of Telly again.

Yeah I know. I like 'em.

Doesn't change the fact that their Channel 4 series fell through does it? :confused:

Let's face it, if it hadn't we wouldn't be seeing them on Republic of Telly again.
    I wasn't aware it "fell through"

(googles it ....jeeaysus you are right! sorry)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭el diablo

ShagNastii wrote: »

They're bleedin' brutal. Both are now working in Supermacs in Ballyhaunis apparently.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Eoin247

I never really watched the republic of telly before, and i never really saw much about the rubber bandits.

Their sketch the other night was awful though. Extremely cringey, unfunny and embarrasingly cliche. Are they always this bad?

The rest of the show was ok. Had a few laughs and the opening was brilliant.

Both are now working in Supermacs in Ballyhaunis apparently.

Oh yeah that's what they're doing alright. :rolleyes:

Eoin247 wrote: »
    I never really watched the republic of telly before, and i never really saw much about the rubber bandits.

Their sketch the other night was awful though. Extremely cringey, unfunny and embarrasingly cliche. Are they always this bad?

The rest of the show was ok. Had a few laughs and the opening was brilliant.
    They're not for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭el diablo

They're not for you.

Because he's not a sixteen year old schoolboy.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

Because he's not a sixteen year old schoolboy.
    their ch4 show contained quantum physics, a song about the chaos theory and some existentialism ...so if that's what the 16 year olds are into these days then fair play to them!

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Cartel Mike

I've seen this show maybe 3 times and I could only really stomach about 10 mins of it on Monday.

It pulls apart other cringy shows which is ironic as you could dedicate a full hour into breaking down just how brutal this is.
    What they're giving the audience or how therye getting them to laugh is anyone's guess. Sometimes people just laugh out of sheer embarrassment I guess.

The brits know how to make these kind of live light entertainment shows I think. We're just not very good at it. There are similar attempts from Northern Ireland which are just as cringy.
    You need a very witty script and a naturally funny presenter/comedian for a start. No offense to the guys who have presented this show but they don't have the right charisma or timing. And the script is often ear bleeding stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 silverdolphin

I watched a rerun of it last night and O'Shea's imitation (was it meant to be a parody?) of the Graham Norton Show was horrendous. Why "parody" something that is funnier than their own show? Do they seriously think they can be funnier than Graham Norton? Sorry to be harsh, but they shouldn't have done that, that was uncalled for. I don't think anything has changed. It's the same as last year. The new presenter looks like Dermot's twin brother. If there was less focus on RTE, maybe it would be a step in the right direction for the show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Watched it on sky plus. Liked the opening skit.the Bernard o Shea one was rubbish.. Rubberbandits not great either but all in all not bad. 6/10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Eoin247

I watched a rerun of it last night and O'Shea's imitation (was it meant to be a parody?) of the Graham Norton Show was horrendous. Why "parody" something that is funnier than their own show? Do they seriously think they can be funnier than Graham Norton? Sorry to be harsh, but they shouldn't have done that, that was uncalled for. I don't think anything has changed. It's the same as last year. The new presenter looks like Dermot's twin brother. If there was less focus on RTE, maybe it would be a step in the right direction for the show.

I agree that it was pretty bad. I think the first third of the show was the best and it just slid off the cliff from there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement