Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Return of Republic of Telly

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    What makes you think a warm-up comedian would be drunk while doing his job?

Who does warm up for Republic of Telly actually - anyone ever been to a recording of it?

I was just trying to say that he probably isn't sober - that doesn't exactly mean that he's drunk. :o:)

lufties wrote: »
    Thats quite a strange comment or perhaps I just don't get what you mean.

You probably just don't get what I mean, then. :o:)

If the audience didn't have low standards in comedy and/or weren't given free alcohol before the show, then surely they'd realise how bad the vast majority of the sketches are and wouldn't laugh and clap so much at them.

And the warm-up guy probably doesn't realise either how bad said sketches are as he goes about his job - which leads the cynic in me to suggest that he, too, might have had a beer or two before the show. (But I don't mean to suggest that he's had loads of beers - he certainly wouldn't be able to do his job then.) :o:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

And the warm-up guy probably doesn't realise either how bad said sketches are as he goes about his job - which leads the cynic in me to suggest that he, too, might have had a beer or two before the show.

The warm-up guy (whoever he is) is getting paid good money to warm the crowd up, what he thinks of the sketches doesn't make a difference to his job. I doubt he's having beers at all before he does it or why you think he would.

Sure even Winning Streak has a warm-up guy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

I was just trying to say that he probably isn't sober - that doesn't exactly mean that he's drunk. :o:)

You probably just don't get what I mean, then. :o:)

If the audience didn't have low standards in comedy and/or weren't given free alcohol before the show, then surely they'd realise how bad the vast majority of the sketches are and wouldn't laugh and clap so much at them.

And the warm-up guy probably doesn't realise either how bad said sketches are as he goes about his job - which leads the cynic in me to suggest that he, too, might have had a beer or two before the show. (But I don't mean to suggest that he's had loads of beers - he certainly wouldn't be able to do his job then.) :o:)

Ahhh, now I see what you mean...

Not :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Masseymad

i think the republic of telly is absolutly hilarious :)

The warm-up guy (whoever he is) is getting paid good money to warm the crowd up, what he thinks of the sketches doesn't make a difference to his job. I doubt he's having beers at all before he does it or why you think he would.

Sure even Winning Streak has a warm-up guy!
    lufties wrote: »
    Ahhh, now I see what you mean...

Not :confused:

*sigh*

The sketches are mostly crap.

Yet the audience still laugh at each and every one of them.

That means that they somehow find them funny, through either or both of the following:

(1) Having low standards in comedy, i.e. thinking that almost anything that passes off as comedy is funny.

(2) Being given free booze before the show, which makes them more likely to laugh at almost anything that passes off as comedy.

And the warm-up guy prompts the audience to laugh and clap after each and every sketch - no matter how funny the sketches actually are, and no matter that the audience will more than likely laugh and clap naturally, as a result of their low standards in comedy and/or the influence of booze.

As I said, I'm only making a cynical suggestion (as I do with many other poor TV shows) that he himself has one or two beers before the show - I'm not actually saying that he does do that.

And I'm happy for this cynical suggestion to be proved wrong.

I'm sorry for phrasing this comment the way I have - it's just that I really don't think that what I've said in my previous two comments should be that difficult to understand, regardless whether it's right or wrong.

:o:o:o:o:o:o:):)

Masseymad wrote: »
    i think the republic of telly is absolutly hilarious :)

Even after what I've said above, I respect your opinion.

I may not necessarily agree with it, but you're perfectly entitled to it. :)

That means that they somehow find them funny, through either or both of the following:

(1) Having low standards in comedy, i.e. thinking that almost anything that passes off as comedy is funny.

(2) Being given free booze before the show, which makes them more likely to laugh at almost anything that passes off as comedy.

I'd say it's both of these. I've never been to the Republic of Telly recording but I have been in the audience for other shows and got one glass of wine before it. Don't think they're slopping out four pints to each person or anything.
    As I said, I'm only making a cynical suggestion (as I do with many other poor TV shows) that he himself has one or two beers before the show - I'm not actually saying that he does do that.

Yeah I doubt that bit. For a comedian, a warm up gig is a nice regular paid gig and whether he likes the sketches or not has nothing to do with his job. He gets paid to get the crowd going, that's it.

Do you think everyone who works on Republic of Telly thinks it's hilarious? Cause that's definitely not true.

Do you think everyone who works on Republic of Telly thinks it's hilarious? Cause that's definitely not true.

If I implied at any stage that I thought that, then I didn't mean to. :o:)

I'd say there are plenty of Republic of Telly personnel who couldn't care less how funny it actually is. Their jobs don't involve going in front of the camera at all, though.

If I implied at any stage that I thought that, then I didn't mean to. :o:)

I'd say there are plenty of Republic of Telly personnel who couldn't care less how funny it actually is. Their jobs don't involve going in front of the camera at all, though.

The warm-up guy isn't in front of the camera either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Having a debate with the wife here. This weeks episode, Jen Mcguire doing the 80's sketch was frying a breakfast for Bernard. What was the white stuff she used on the frying pan instead of oil. It was a white block called? ( remember this was the 80's )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭July Rain

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Having a debate with the wife here. This weeks episode, Jen Mcguire doing the 80's sketch was frying a breakfast for Bernard. What was the white stuff she used on the frying pan instead of oil. It was a white block called? ( remember this was the 80's )

Lard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Lard. I think it's made if animal fat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Frytex

028%5C5011031083028%5CIDShot_225x225.jpg

or Cooken.

cookeen-pack-small.png

I was thinking stork maybe??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

It was fry tex. Mm tasty chips ;-)

deco nate wrote: »
    It was fry tex. Mm tasty chips ;-)

Anybody know Jennifer McGuire personally?? Maybe ask her!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

The show is still pretty funny at times. The main thing that drives me mad though is they don't properly mute down the audience laugh track during skits.

It's sometimes impossible to hear what's being said because of some gob****es guffawing.

If you watch The Daily Show you'll hear how they properly deal with it.

KerranJast wrote: »
    The show is still pretty funny at times. The main thing that drives me mad though is they don't properly mute down the audience laugh track during skits.

It's sometimes impossible to hear what's being said because of some gob****es guffawing.

If you watch The Daily Show you'll hear how they properly deal with it.

Who in the name of God watches the daily show :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

Who in the name of God watches the daily show :)
    Kudos :D I obviously meant the US Daily Show with Jon Stewart.

• Advertisement

KerranJast wrote: »
    Kudos :D I obviously meant the US Daily Show with Jon Stewart.

Ha, I only got DTP's joke when you said that...

Seriously I know it's not even remotely fair to compare, but I've been watching a lot of Colbert Reports this week. Dear God we have so much to learn...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Bernard arrived in to work today to film a sketch. Sound lad - had a bit of banter with him in the canteen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I see the mocking of the Today show continues which is good :D

Caught a little bit of it. I thought the bit making fun of a few ads was funny, in particular the one for the Ped Egg. I've always found that actual ad revolting and they did a brilliant job of that. But I also saw the sort of news sketch, which was just another opportunity to make some very cheap, predictable gags about guards being from the country and going to Coppers.

I honestly think, by the way, that this show should place a moratorium on jokes about Coppers. They seem to think it's the most intrinsically hilarious thing on earth, but, I have news for them: you are quite literally repeating the SAME JOKE pretty much every single week, for several YEARS now. It's like when they are stuck for a joke they just spitball for a while, lean back in their chairs, staring at the ceiling, tapping pens off their teeth and cleaning their glasses until someone says "**** it, throw in a Coppers joke about everyone going there being a Guard or a nurse and we'll head down to the canteen" *High fives all round*

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I see the mocking of the Today show continues which is good :D

It'll get very tired quite soon, though - rather like the Coppers jokes that Realt Dearg Sec points out.

Same if they keep on mocking Xpose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Missed this tonight. When does it repeat on rte 2?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭brian_t

MrMac84 wrote: »

Saturday evening @ 10.00pm

MrMac84 wrote: »

You really didn't miss much :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

You really didn't miss much :P

They had the camera confession thing 3 weeks ago In cork.. Did they show it tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭sok2005

I was going mad they cut across Hozier for Bernards song sketch. Lead guy has an amazing voice, at least give me a verse and chorus!!

sok2005 wrote: »
    I was going mad they cut across Hozier for Bernards song sketch. Lead guy has an amazing voice, at least give me a verse and chorus!!

Do you mean Kodaline?

I don't think they showed secret camera confessions from Cork last night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭sok2005

Do you mean Kodaline?

I don't think they showed secret camera confessions from Cork last night

That's the one, Kodaline!! Cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Jeeaaaysus i half watched the late late show anchorman interview, i really found it to painful to watch, but when i saw the republic of telly highlights of it,i had to pinch myself...jeepers it was the most cringe inducing thing i've ever seen on RTE....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Jeeaaaysus i half watched the late late show anchorman interview, i really found it to painful to watch, but when i saw the republic of telly highlights of it,i had to pinch myself...jeepers it was the most cringe inducing thing i've ever seen on RTE....

take it you didn't see Tubbers interview Tom Cruise like a love-struck teenager then? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 49 silverdolphin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8k9b6S26mA

The problem with this sketch is that the "child" is really an adult and talks like an adult. The teacher also looks younger than the child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭briany

The problem with this sketch is that the "child" is really an adult and talks like an adult. The teacher also looks younger than the child.

Isn't that the point? A bit of absurdity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Watch this and hilarity engulfs the human body

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 924 ✭✭✭jjf1974

ricero wrote: »
    Watch this and hilarity engulfs the human body

Hilarity ???

Pardon?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 silverdolphin

briany wrote: »
    Isn't that the point? A bit of absurdity?

It's hard to find it funny when it's an unrealistic portrayal of how the majority of senior infants talk. The sketch would've worked better if they had a real child and used childish humour with childish talk. It shouldn't have been too hard for them to create a sketch around that as kids can say hilarious things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

It's hard to find it funny when it's an unrealistic portrayal of how the majority of senior infants talk. The sketch would've worked better if they had a real child and used childish humour with childish talk. It shouldn't have been too hard for them to create a sketch around that as kids can say hilarious things.

The whole joke of the sketch was that this "child" was speaking like an opinionated adult. You'll find that many if not most jokes & sketches depend on an "unrealistic portrayal" of something or other. It's basic comedy.

Not that this particular sketch was funny or anything. It could have been funny if the acting/writing was better.

• Advertisement

It is back tomorrow night

It is back tomorrow night

And by the metric I'm still using, this series is the tenth. ;)

I see that no-one commented during the show, or in the 24 hours immediately following its broadcast.

Does this mean that most Boardsies have finally had enough of the thing and stopped watching it once and for all? ;);)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭briany

And by the metric I'm still using, this series is the tenth. ;)

I see that no-one commented during the show, or in the 24 hours immediately following its broadcast.

Does this mean that most Boardsies have finally had enough of the thing and stopped watching it once and for all? ;);)

It's almost as if they realised that with Internet access, they're no longer reliant on broadcast television for an evening's televisual entertainment and don't have to watch RoT. Ever. :pac:

Or everyone forgot.... Possible.

The show definitely peaked 2 years ago...I remember looking forward to every week... Now it's an awkward self important mess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

Gave it a go again, that Real Republic bit is painful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

this is just awful, presenter seems to be there because he's some trendy beardy guy with tussled hair, rte thinks thats what the youth/audience want.

how about jokes that are funny, rather than trying to be whacky thinking thats all it takes for good comedy

He's Sim card from the hardy bucks...he was at the county final!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Would look them to set themselves the challenge of not doing "aren't culchies different" and "remember the 80s" segments for a series.

Poor 100th episode

• Advertisement

Poor 100th episode

Almost a hundred too many. :o;)

Advertisement