Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Return of Republic of Telly

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

RayM wrote: »
    When asked about why they didn't offer it to RTE, Arthur Mathews said "It never even occurred to us... It would be like offering it to Waterford Glass."

I watched Republic of Telly tonight, for the first time since it started (because Alf Stewart from Home and Away was on it). It's not very good, is it? Classic RTE comedy - lots of 'craic' and 'banter', the odd decent joke, but poorly written and very poorly executed. Amateurish.

Whats Alf doing in Ireland at the moment anyway.Is he in a stage play or something just I seen him on the seven o'clock show on Thursday. He seems to be turning up everywhere.

And yea Republic of Telly was never really RTEs crown jewel but its a slight improvement on previous seasons mainly I'm guessing due to the exclusion of Jennifer maguire and less of those god awful skits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Very fun tonight after a few iffy shows.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I think they're really missing Jen.

All the sketches with the "Jen of the week" lack in story as if they only had the "jen in the week" for one day.

When you compare the sketches from this season to last there's a big step down in production values which I presume is from the lack of time with Jen.

The previous seasons sketches had much more of a story than this seasons.

For example this clip has much more of a story, background, and production value than anything off this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭James Delaney

@CheckMate 19.

Yeah i reckon all Irish Comedians are hanger-ons to rte.
    Halls Pictorial Wkly -,Now ders some pile of ****. How can rte pay for dat dribble - abs. Terrible - same crap for the past 3 years. How can Apres,Match Team lower themselves to that.

Rep. Of Telly is good - taking d piss outa rte. Its the BEST IRISH PRODUCED COMEDY - Fait play to them. Get rid of the rest.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Neil Delemare i don't think ever done why republic of telly.

He hosted the first season, when it was a clone of TV Burp, before the sketches took over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭Staplor

Bring back the Blizzard of Odd!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

Staplor wrote: »
    Bring back the Blizzard of Odd!!!

Jesus completely forgot about Blizzard of Odd, Ten years since it was last on now. Thats when there used to be something half decent on RTE 2 on a Monday or Tuesday night.

Even back in the Mid to Late ninety's the RTE 2 schedules had a pretty good line up with Game On, Larry Sanders Married with Children, I remember a Australian Cop show I enjoyed at the time called Murder Call although looking back at it now it did seem hammy. Ever episode seemed to end with the female cop getting a premonition about the episodes murder and immediately solving the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,985 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I did laugh at RTE Shore

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I thought last night's episode was the best of the season, everything seemed to work!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I thought last night's episode was the best of the season, everything seemed to work!

The news with the viper was a lot better than usual. Last nights was a big improvement as of late.

It was and I was surprised.

I was going to skip forward over it but thought I'd give it a go.

It's a pity he isn't able to keep the characteristics of The Viper from The Hardy Bucks too, he's not the same character anymore.

It was and I was surprised.

I was going to skip forward over it but thought I'd give it a go.

It's a pity he isn't able to keep the characteristics of The Viper from The Hardy Bucks too, he's not the same character anymore.

Couldn't agree with you more. If he could keep the same character it would be gold.

Hmmm I don't think that series will have a best of.

There was one very good episode, some ok ones, but the last two weren't great at all.

Hmmm I don't think that series will have a best of.

There was one very good episode, some ok ones, but the last two weren't great at all.

Yeah it was a very poor series and an absolutely brutal final episode. When they did close ups of the audience half of them weren't laughing let alone smiling.

No and the live band made no sense, just filler really.

The News Republic slot did seem to improve as the series went on though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Threads merged.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Checkmate19

Should be put to bet like alot of rte stuff. Also keep Jennifer Maguire off the tv she is not funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Should be put to bet like alot of rte stuff. Also keep Jennifer Maguire off the tv she is not funny.

I think it should be kept on the air and I love Jennifer McGuire

I think this season showed they do need Jen.

Anyway it's off air now until the Autumn/Winter so whatever problems they had this season I hope they can sort out by then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,266 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

i thought it peaked around 2011....it's really bad since

• Advertisement

Bridget and Eamon spin off sitcom commissioned so Jen is leaving ROT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Meh. :o:o;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

I didn't find any of those sketches funny!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

MrMac84 wrote: »
    I didn't find any of those sketches funny!

I though they were great. Especially the road trip where they went across the border without realising it

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

It's going to be tough to bring that to a 25 min show I think. The Hardy Bucks, for example, had full story lines, a big cast, and 15-20 min episodes on youtube before they transitioned to TV. Bridget and Eamonn though have a small cast, small stories, and at a max 5 min episodes.

Jen is not coming back for the next series of Republic of Telly and I fear if they go down the Jen of the Week avenue to replace her, like they did last season, that there won't be anything left for her to come back to. Last season was mostly a failure, unfortunately as I really like the show, so they should stick one full time replacement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

It's going to be tough to bring that to a 25 min show I think. The Hardy Bucks, for example, had full story lines, a big cast, and 15-20 min episodes on youtube before they transitioned to TV. Bridget and Eamonn though have a small cast, small stories, and at a max 5 min episodes.

Jen is not coming back for the next series of Republic of Telly and I fear if they go down the Jen of the Week avenue to replace her, like they did last season, that there won't be anything left for her to come back to. Last season was mostly a failure, unfortunately as I really like the show, so they should stick one full time replacement.

Out of curiosity, what have you based that on?

Just my opinion of watching it.

I didn't really laugh or enjoy it that much, nowhere near as much as previous seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,266 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

yeah i thought it was hilarious up to 2011 then it died altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Should just leave it be and wrap the show up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Jennifer Maguire is not funny full stop.Why do RTE keep giving her series?

• Advertisement

darkdubh wrote: »

I felt she always came across as a bit of a **** more than anything.

I don't know what she's like in real life, I don't care either, but her on screen character worked very well with the other two lads I thought.

darkdubh wrote: »

This might provide a clue:

:o:o:o:D;)

It's back in 2 weeks

Anyone know what they're going to do to replace Jen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,316 ✭✭✭✭briany

It's back in 2 weeks

Ah, I'm sure RTE can scare up some decent-looking D-list desperado. That'll probably be their angle, but they should probably get in a proper comedienne to make the show better, rather than someone who'd see it as a rung on the showbiz ladder.

It's back in 2 weeks

Joanne McNally will be taking over from Jennifer Maguire

At this stage, I'm beyond caring who presents it.

May as well be Tubridy. Or Alan Hughes. Or Panti. Or some complete stranger that they picked up off the street...

:o:o:o:o:o:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Oh christ this programme is gone beyond bad. What used to be a good satirical skit on TV is now just a haven for unfunny models, z list celebrities, childish sketches and unfunny presenters. And audience looking like they are being forced with the threat of interrogative west life music to laugh. I thought that with that 1diot Jennifer Maguire and Bernard o Shea gone it may pick up but that new presenter and her excruciating accent makes it worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,112 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

its a show that is aimed at can drinking, craic having students.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

PTH2009 wrote: »
    its a show that is aimed at can drinking, craic having students.

just type in Republic of telly into twitter and almost 90% of comments are negative and this i the demographic it is (or should be) looking to "entertain"..............

I enjoyed it anyway and much improved from last season too.

The Vipers bit is still a bit iffy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Duggie2012

beyond embarrassing..and i only seen about 2 minutes of it. thats all i could suffer. how can someone in a senior position watch this and let it go to air?? beyond belief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Carson10

Watched it last nite. Really bad, terrible. Not one bit funny. Out dated now.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Johnny Derpp

It's not like RTE to take something that's half decent and milk it to death.

Should have been let die long ago.

I can't be the only one who likes the show, granted last season was crap,..........can I?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 10 Fred Bobo

Ah the twink bit was very very funny ! Hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Could they not find anyone funnier than Joanne McNally?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I thought it was great.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Could they not find anyone funnier than Joanne McNally?

I know nothing about her but I think the show works best with a woman on it.

There's potential in the TV Licence Inspectors sketch too, made me laugh last night anyway, and looks like it's going to be a recurring one too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Checkmate19

This show is the pits like the fear etc. Rte are a major shambles when it come's to comedy. In fact rte are just becoming a total shambles. Meeting the macdonaghs, next week we have daniel o donnell bb road trip. Its putrid. Rte would not know comedy if it hit them in the face. Wonderly wagon etc is just geared towards people with zero brains. Anyone finding the republic of telly funny needs to check themselves into some sort of hosipal. How is Jennifer Maguire and that other gob****e in any way funny but given other show. License fee is being wasted on these gob****es.

• Advertisement
Advertisement