Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Return of Republic of Telly

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

ricero wrote: »
    it's a skid mark on Irish comedy this program the new host is even worse den d other lad. For some strange reason I get the feeling that cultchies would love this show

I love the fact you refer to "culchies", as if humour to come out of Dublin is somehow better and the height of class. Hmm, let me see - Ross O'Carroll Kelly, Brendan O'Carroll......enough said I think. I'm cringing just even typing their names.

Enjoyed this show I have to say, especially the rubberbandits :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

it's a skid mark on Irish comedy this program the new host is even worse den d other lad. For some strange reason I get the feeling that cultchies would love this show

RTE have taken a gamble recently in trying out fresh 'regional' comedic talent of late with giving the Hardy Bucks a mini-series and a vehicle for the Rubberbandits to show their talents and so far it has been hit and miss. The miss being the first Hardy Bucks episode, but they were always gonna be on a hiding to nothing especially as the first episode was really an introduction to the characters and I thought they tried to squeeze too much into the first episode. In fairness to them they made a huge improvement with the second episode as it contained more structure and quite a few gags.

The Rubberbandits exceeded my expectations and there tv debut was top quality. If you don't get it I suggest you take a peek outside your D4 comfort zone in order for you to get the humour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭el diablo

The Rubberbandits exceeded my expectations and there tv debut was top quality. If you don't get it I suggest you take a peek outside your D4 comfort zone in order for you to get the humour.

Stupid comment. What's D4 got to do with anything? :rolleyes: Those idiots with the plastic bags on their faces were rubbish. I couldn't even understand what they were trying to say...

Hardy Bucks is not a bad show though.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

el diablo wrote: »
    I couldn't even understand what they were trying to say...

So how do you know if they were funny or not?

Elmo wrote: »
    So how do you know if they were funny or not?
    I put on the Subtitles.

I put on the Subtitles.

:rolleyes: Do you talk to anyone outside your group of friends and family? because tbqh they weren't hard to follow at all. Were the funny? I thought pointing out the cops was funny, but I have seen them before and I don't generally thing they are funny.

:rolleyes: Do you talk to anyone outside your group of friends and family? because tbqh they weren't hard to follow at all. Were the funny? I thought pointing out the cops was funny, but I have seen them before and I don't generally thing they are funny.
    No, I don't think they were funny at all. I'm not really sure what you're getting at here.

Stupid comment. What's D4 got to do with anything? :rolleyes: Those idiots with the plastic bags on their faces were rubbish. I couldn't even understand what they were trying to say...

How's it a stupid comment? Your mate from Dublin South alluded to the fact that the sophisticated and superior folks in the Capital are too intelligent for this show whilst us 'culchie' muck savages would be wetting our O'Neills tracksuit pants in spasms of laughter. All I'm saying is you need to give it a chance if only for the Rubberbandits segment.

No, I don't think they were funny at all. I'm not really sure what you're getting at here.

I think it is strange that someone from Ireland can't understand other Irish peoples accents especially ones that aren't all that strong. And its as though you don't mix with people outside your own circle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,647 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Enjoyed it but not a patch on Blizzard of Odd.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

Enjoyed it but not a patch on Blizzard of Odd.

I was thinking that too, should definitely bring it back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Rubber Bandits bit was decent without being hilarious.

There's far too much pause for applause in this show. Here's Jennifer Maguire - twenty seconds of her walking down the stairs to applause. She does her list of 'things that shouldn't be', pausing after each one for applause.

Too much ruddy applause.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭rpurfield

jesus i used to watch this pretty regular but with the new presenter ill be swerving it big time.im forced to listen to his radio station in work and i honestly would do time for him and his side kick if i met him on the street.about as funny as a dose of the clap(when ya get it yourself)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

Neil Delamere is a brilliant comedian I only caught the last episode of RofT when he presented and thought it was hilarious
    the A team sketch and pulling the p!ss out of fair city and crystal swing:D

Agreed though Blizzard of Odd was, for me, the best thing since Don't Feed The Gondolas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭chiefbrody1974

@chiefbrody1974 this is why boards is so entertaining. Feel the hate. (I would say no offence but I am sure you won't mind :) )

:) none taken. Just read it back to myself, yeah I agree , quite the rant alright. I just hate how these eejits can etch a living for themselves with zero talent.

"we know about you chief, you dont like the water do you?". "Dats one bad hat harry"!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I din't know they where re-jigging the republic of telle, much, much better show. There where none of those awkward pauses where they seem to wait for you to get their horribly painful joke. It had much more pace to it so even bad jokes didn't seem as bad because they where already on the next thing.

Rubber bandits where the best thing on it. Giving the cops the finger while hiding it so they couldn't see, is just the kind of stupidity that kind of scumbag would do. .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I know all cultchies think all southside dubliners are posh and from d4. I admit hardy bucks is a very funny show but them rubber bandits are ****ing **** they make ms brown seen like comedic brillance I dno must be a munster thing

I know all cultchies think all southside dubliners are posh and from d4.

That's absolute nonsense. You'll probably find more Northsiders who think that than people from outside the Pale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Dermot Whelan I didn't think was all that bad presenting, but Delamere should have stayed on, he was doing very well.

Totally Wired I can't stand, they're just massively unfunny and that Star Wars sketch was about 75% too long.

Jennifer Maguire is doing things that were done some 10-15 years ago by Dennis Pennis and were funny then, now they're just awkward.

Rubber bandits were funny about 25% of the time they were on the screen, the rest was just forced "humour".

All in all, I enjoyed the first half of the show to a point, but then the second half of the show descended into a mostly unfunny clusterfúck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭SHREDDER

Well It started off with a few laugh out loud moments, then decended into a realm of banality. In the same way a national school student, would go off on a tangent. It just decended into ****e. What was with the incestuous undertones with crystal swing?

Some dodgey interaction with your man in the mine.

The last series was dire. That Mcguire one would do your fückin head in. She's on way too long, she's up her own arse and doesn't seem to be very charismatic.

I think oversaturation and milking the same gags till they becomes tedious seems all too common.

The starwars thing could have been cut short as well and they could have left with their dignity intact.

Why don't the bandits ditch the masks, they'd be funnier. Most humour is based on details in facial expressions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

SHREDDER wrote: »
    That Mcguire one would do your fückin head in. She's on way too long, she's up her own arse and doesn't seem to be very charismatic.

Agreed.What exactly is she good at or how exactly was she screened? She's talented at what exactly? Ripping off sketches from the 90s? She adds absolutely nothing to the show. I can't see a single redeeming feature about her. At least Mairéad Farrell last year asked questions that allowed the interviewees to be somewhat odd and bizarre leading to humour and some funny answers, but Maguire is just crap and is only good at the "oh ho ho ho I'm so funny, asking you questions with a double entendre" or the aforementioned 90s sketches like the Wahlberg "how was filming the Bourne films", something which I have seen Olivia Lee (another tw@t) do the EXACT same thing on Comedy Central do before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

At least Mairéad Farrell last year asked questions that allowed the interviewees to be somewhat odd and bizarre leading to humour and some funny answers.

Yeah Mairead Farrell is much better.. There's some warmth to her and she has genuine rapport with the people she meets, leading to so natural comedy.. The comparison of Jennifer Maguire to Denis Pennis above is quite accurate... Childish, "shock" questions... plus she's extremely cold and uncharismatic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭SHREDDER

At least Paul Kaye, (Dennis Pennis) Is very fuunny, his whole act was based on him being caustic. It's annoying, every time she cracks a quip she looks into the camera. She's no Daisy Donovan and that's word!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

Anyone remember 'Dont feed the gondolas' had Dara o Brien in it? now that was a show that would make me laugh, everything produced by RTE since that show has been utter crap including this one (especially this one!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭cypharius

Can anyone actualy name a single funny show on RTE at the moment? No? I didn't think so. The thread title should be "Return of another RTE show".

• Advertisement

cypharius wrote: »
    Can anyone actualy name a single funny show on RTE at the moment? No? I didn't think so. The thread title should be "Return of another RTE show".

Why? The thread isn't title Return of the Funniest show ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Tiny Explosions

The Frontline is usually good for a chuckle or two!:D

Tonight at 10.50, lookin forward to it.

Hopefully those simpletons with the Quinnsworth bags on their heads won't be on tonight. if so I'll be switching off. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Crude, coarse and devoid of any humour.. When you have to use profanities to get a laugh you know there's a problem...

Dermot Whelan is very good at presenting, but everything else about the show is rubbish..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,589 ✭✭✭baldbear

wow what a poor show. RTE have nothing funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭gnolan

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that anyone that found that in any way funny or entertaining was brought up improperly.

This show is the lowest of the low, it is KVI ginger nut biscuits and Yellow Pack toothpaste rolled into half an hour of utter shite.

The contrast between this and Harry Hill's TV Burp is stark. TV Burp takes a light hearted approach and makes fun of specific moments with fitting and suitable jokes. On the other hand Republic of Telly seems to come up with low brow and crude "jokes" and then search for something, anything that might fit that joke; the tail wagging the dog kind of thing.

What a crock of bottom-of-the-barrel-humourless shit!

For anyone who may have an inferiority complex...watch this programme, you'll come away feeling like you're better than all those involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

that was atrocious, watched all that just to see 2 mins of the rubber bandits...i feel cheated. What the f** was all that batman waste of time and money.

Crude, coarse and devoid of any humour.. When you have to use profanities to get a laugh you know there's a problem...

Dermot Whelan is very good at presenting, but everything else about the show is rubbish..

i thought he was terrible this week.

You know what I liked? Damo Clark in Copper's. That made me laugh.

It's by far the best show on RTE.

It's by far the best show on RTE.

School boy or college student?

School boy or college student?

I didn't say it was good. I hate it. But it's still better then the rest of the **** rte makes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 ballybunionlad

The part in Coppers was the only funny part of the show.

That Batman & Robin skit was some of the worst tv I've ever endured.

Neil Delamare got away from this crap for a good reason. (Not that he's funny anyway)

Ah no, RTE has some good stuff....

• Advertisement

Ah no, RTE has some good stuff....

Like what?

Like what?

Their current affairs and sports department consistently produce high quality programming.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Their current affairs and sports department consistently produce high quality programming.

Sarcasm I hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭paddyismaddy

is that the guy from the spar ad that was at the debs?

Sarcasm I hope.

Nope.

Do you actually watch current affairs programs or are you just saying 'everything RTE does is sh*te' without actually watching a wide variety of their programming?

RTE's soccer coverage is always great. Their World Cup coverage especially. Their soccer pundits are far better than BBC's.

The Frontline and Prime Time are excellent current affairs shows.

is that the guy from the spar ad that was at the debs?
    you may also recognise him from RTE classic "the roaring twenties"

What's really annoying is the edited laughter at every crap joke, the way the presenter laughs at everything his sidekicks say even if it's ****e ie spar boy,the look of smugness on the presenter after the batman clip as if he was saying...."now wasn't that hilarious"...no it wasn't........

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Nope.

Do you actually watch current affairs programs or are you just saying 'everything RTE does is sh*te' without actually watching a wide variety of their programming?

RTE's soccer coverage is always great. Their World Cup coverage especially. Their soccer pundits are far better than BBC's.

The Frontline and Prime Time are excellent current affairs shows.

The soccer coverage is great, I'll give you that. But the coverage of current events is horribly bias in favor of Fianna Fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 clawless

RTE shows terrible bias in many respects- if you are related to someone in RTE, you're in! There are so many talented young people in this country and yet RTE put that idiot Baz on tv! WRONG WRONG WRONG!

• Advertisement

clawless wrote: »
    RTE shows terrible bias in many respects- if you are related to someone in RTE, you're in! There are so many talented young people in this country and yet RTE put that idiot Baz on tv! WRONG WRONG WRONG!

Who's Baz related to in RTE?

Advertisement