Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Return of Republic of Telly

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭SHREDDER

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Who's Baz related to in RTE?

He seems sound enough, I'd say he'd be good craic after a few pints. Easily steered into funny situations.

cypharius wrote: »
    It's by far the best show on RTE.

I wouldn't go that far now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

cypharius wrote: »
    It's by far the best show on RTE.

I'd rank it somewhere around the Angelus in terms of entertainment.

All I'll say is dodge ball!

The rubber bandits were funny enough, as was Damien Clarke. Fast and Furious had some decent chuckles. Aparst from that I was wincing at the faces of people in the crowd obviously laughing to the warm up man.

Some of the puzzled expressions in the crowd were beutiful. Why anyone would go and sit in the audience is beyond me, not just for this, but most of RTE's studio programmes. Who are these people.

"Is he Avvin a laugh!?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭el diablo

I'd rank it somewhere around the Angelus in terms of entertainment.
    Yes, somewhere between The Angelus, A Prayer Before Bedtime and Ear to the Ground.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

el diablo wrote: »
    Yes, somewhere between The Angelus, A Prayer Before Bedtime and Ear to the Ground.

I quite like Ear to the Ground at times. :o
    Crude, coarse and devoid of any humour.. When you have to use profanities to get a laugh you know there's a problem...

Dermot Whelan is very good at presenting, but everything else about the show is rubbish..

I trust your judgement JonathanAnon a quickly decided not to catch up on the player if I see on the TV I see it.

Elmo wrote: »
    I quite like Ear to the Ground at times. :o

Ok, I'll substitute Oireachtas Report for Ear to the Ground.

Ok, I'll substitute Oireachtas Report for Ear to the Ground.

I see your Oireachtas Report and raise you European Report or as I like to call it Consensus Report.

I see your Oireachtas Report and raise you European Report or as I like to call it Consensus Report.

I see your raise and I'm all in with Aertel Pages teletext at night :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭maxfresh

just watched the second episode on rte player not impressed the movie sketches are very poor and that jennifer maguire is just an annoying bint

I see your raise and I'm all in with Aertel Pages teletext at night :)

I see your Aertel pages with EuroNews and Telly Bingo.

I see your Aertel pages with EuroNews and Telly Bingo.

Telly Bingo....... this discussions equivalent of pocket aces.

Oh well, no money finish for me this time :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Same as usual... Bits pulled from other RTE programs, and general jokes are funny.. everything else is unfunny.. Rubber Bandits and Jennifer Maguire up next.. I'm heading to TV3 for Vincent as soon as he's on..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Kill it now

Why are people laughing at these inbred fúcking idiots in Temple Bar? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Anorexics are not funny. What's going on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Oooh... People are going to complain about the feline based humiliation.

Put on masks, talk with silly voices, and use coarse language.... Is this what qualifies as the best humour RTE can provide... my god..

hurry up Vincent..

It's shocking how bad this programme gets as the show goes on.

I mean its not "can't miss" TV by any stretch, but it usually starts with some promise and then denegrates into an unfunny crude Podge & Rodge.

Maguire is flupping useless. Well done you found a cat bed and a sex toy vagina. I hope you weren't paid hourly for that research.

Rubberbandits had their funny bits, just unfortunate the funny bits were the proverbial needle in the haystack of unfunny dirge.

Dermot Whelan can be a good presenter, but when he's saddled with this muck its just embarassing.

When Delamere was doing it, there was a lot more focus on television and ripping it out of the tv shows, or out of context clippings, but its just veered so far away from that tried and tested format now that its just hard to watch at points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I only watch it to see the few seconds of Rubber bandits, but last night i had to give up before they even came on....absolute horse****e,,,,,think it was that brefni C**nt that ruined it for me, just like batman ruined it last week....and that vampire ****e....what the f**k was that?

Get the comedians off RTE and start getting comedy writers........

(except for mcsavage....i'd like a 2nd series of savage eye)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

harry hill must be laughing at our misfortune honestly ever since dermot morgen died comedy in this country has gone to the dogs minus hardy bucks

I only watch it to see the few seconds of Rubber bandits, but last night i had to give up before they even came on....absolute horse****e,,,,,think it was that brefni C**nt that ruined it for me, just like batman ruined it last week....and that vampire ****e....what the f**k was that?

Get the comedians off RTE and start getting comedy writers........

(except for mcsavage....i'd like a 2nd series of savage eye)

Any news on another series of Savage Eye? definitely one of RTÉ'S better recent efforts.

Any news on another series of Savage Eye? definitely one of RTÉ'S better recent efforts.
    I have a feeling the 2nd series would difficult....strange how it's gone quiet...thought it would have been ready for this month.

Don't worry, Big Brother's Brian Dowling and Sheila Shick will be soon on to save Irish comedy chat shows. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 steo2009

i like Republic of Telly also,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Put on masks, talk with silly voices, and use coarse language.... Is this what qualifies as the best humour RTE can provide... my god..

hurry up Vincent..
    Not a fan of Bo Selcta or spitting image either then?

ScumLord wrote: »
    I used to like Spitting Image... never saw Bo Selecta...

Just wish they had kept the same format as last year.. focussing on reviewing the week's mistakes and funny bits on the telly, and funny headlines and stories in the newspapers.. About 80% of the current format is simply not funny... although a honourable mention for Whelan again, he's doing a good job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

the guy who voices the ad has a really funny trailer voice....never seen the show..

• Advertisement

ScumLord wrote: »
    You can hardly compare two gombeens with Quinnworth bags over their heads to either of those shows. :rolleyes:

Last season's format with Whelan presenting would be a lot better than this crap.

Rubber bandits are the funniest part of the show by a long shot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Why are people laughing at these inbred fúcking idiots in Temple Bar? :(

It was good that there were 2 lads as Limerick scumbags ripping the mickey out of Dublin. Usually it's the other way around...
    Not sure they work on tv, as they can't be vulgar enough!
    The programme was dire dire tv overall.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

My favourite sound is me balls slappin of Mairead Farrell's hoop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭teekayd25

Hopefully those simpletons with the Quinnsworth bags on their heads won't be on tonight. if so I'll be switching off. :confused:

You can hardly compare two gombeens with Quinnworth bags over their heads to either of those shows. :rolleyes:

The fact that they are playing *characters* appears to be completely lost on you. :)

I think the Rubberbandits wearing plastic bags is funny because

1. Possibly the only people crude / vulgar enough, or poor enough, to use plastic bags to conceal their identities would be Limerick scumbags

2. For all the posturing and bravado, they're not brave enough to do it without the bags, and probably for no reason other than they're scared that their mothers will find out :D

3. It might have been a Quinnsworth bag one night, but it was Centra the next . . . and last night one of them had a Mace bag! Maybe Londis next week . . .

4. What would one of these bags typically have been used to buy? 6 Dutch Gold? 40 Benson? A copy of FHM?
    Most likely all of the above . . . :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Jennifer Maguire really needs to change the way she does that "things that shouldnt be..." bit.
    It's just her asking retarded questions and showing pictures.

• Advertisement

Caliden wrote: »
    Jennifer Maguire really needs to change the way she does that "things that shouldnt be..." bit.
    It's just her asking retarded questions and showing pictures.
    I actually thought she had great potential on the last series, she can be quite sharp and is good at the random street interviews, but this series could very well ruin her career....Even yer mans face when he introduces "the things that should not be...." makes me angry.

teekayd25 wrote: »
    The fact that they are playing *characters* appears to be completely lost on you. :)

I think the Rubberbandits wearing plastic bags is funny because

1. Possibly the only people crude / vulgar enough, or poor enough, to use plastic bags to conceal their identities would be Limerick scumbags

2. For all the posturing and bravado, they're not brave enough to do it without the bags, and probably for no reason other than they're scared that their mothers will find out :D

3. It might have been a Quinnsworth bag one night, but it was Centra the next . . . and last night one of them had a Mace bag! Maybe Londis next week . . .

4. What would one of these bags typically have been used to buy? 6 Dutch Gold? 40 Benson? A copy of FHM?
    Most likely all of the above . . . :D
    The rubber bandits have been on the go a long time now, and they are actually very intelligent, sharp, funny guys. Personally i'd say the clue to the plastic bags is quite blatently in their name...
    I haven't had a chance to see their live show, but from what i have seen on youtube they are one of irelands best performers.
    THey actually sold out some london dates recently.

I haven't had a chance to see their live show, but from what i have seen on youtube they are one of irelands best performers.
    THey actually sold out some london dates recently.

What are you talking about? One of Irelands best performers???

They're playing the Twisted Pepper in Dublin which is tiny and the places they've played in London are bars/pubs, and considering their humour is very Irish I'd be sceptical that they sold out any of those places

Unless I'm missing something and they're being badly misrepresented on the Republic of Telly as rarely funny?

What are you talking about? One of Irelands best performers???

They're playing the Twisted Pepper in Dublin which is tiny and the places they've played in London are bars/pubs, and considering their humour is very Irish I'd be sceptical that they sold out any of those places

Unless I'm missing something and they're being badly misrepresented on the Republic of Telly as rarely funny?
    Would you think there are aspects of the republic of telly that are funnier than the bandits?

re: the twisted pepper i said "best" performers not "biggest"

Would you think there are aspects of the republic of telly that are funnier than the bandits?

re: the twisted pepper i said "best" performers not "biggest"

Fair point on the best v biggest, I suppose thats all down to opinion :)

Well I think the "news" part of the show is the funniest bit. The first 4 minutes where they report news and show clips out of context. Other than that, the next 26 minutes including the rubber bandits and especially Jennifer Maguire are brutal.

• Advertisement

Fair point on the best v biggest, I suppose thats all down to opinion :)

Well I think the "news" part of the show is the funniest bit. The first 4 minutes where they report news and show clips out of context. Other than that, the next 26 minutes including the rubber bandits and especially Jennifer Maguire are brutal.
    I'm basing this on what i have seen on youtube, I've always been a fan of their prank calls, and was aware they were a hip hop comedy duo, but of late they are displaying traits of serious professionalism, underneath the plastic bags are two well clued in "professional" comedians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

This is woeful stuff. Bring back Neil Delamere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭AOwannabe

Looks like the show has got in trouble today...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/nov/17/ireland-debt-crisis-resignation-hoax
    Ireland debt crisis: TV resignation hoax causes further anguish

Comic posing as reporter starts rumour of minister's 'resignation', prompting fears for Irish coalition's slim majority

A prankster posing as an Irish television reporter nearly precipitated a crisis inside the embattled Irish coalition government today.
    As members of the Dáil filed into parliament in Dublin's Kildare Street this morning, someone holding an RTE microphone asked them what they thought about the resignation of Irish health minister Mary Harney.
    Rumours then started to spread that Harney, a senior member of the Irish government, had resigned due to personal reasons and was leaving politics. Her alleged departure would have reduced the current Fianna Fáil/Green coalition's majority to just two inside the Dáil.
    At one stage in the morning, representatives of the opposition Fine Gael party were asking reporters if they had heard reports that Harney was about to walk away from the government.
    It later transpired, according to parties in the Dáil, that the "reporter" was working for the RTE comedy show Republic of Telly, which often plays hoaxes on the Irish public.
    However, this particular hoax has now sparked an internal row within RTE, the Guardian has learned: the station's political correspondent, David McCullagh, has made a formal complaint to RTE about the prank, which provoked considerable anger from the main political parties.

Just flicked in an saw Gay Byrne interview Dana that was funny

Haddockman wrote: »
    This is woeful stuff. Bring back Neil Delamere.

He was even worse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

They've also played The Academy and the Electric Picnic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Shane10

i laughed at it last night and i slate RTE as much as the rest of us. it was funny. Dermot Whelan is a poor comedian but hes very good at presenting this show, very natural. the bandits are funny, find myself waiting for them now. its growing on me, never really watched it when delamere presented it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Namabillion

Delemere was a lot better

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭PIORUN

Far Better this year. As much as I think Delamare is alright, I couldn't keep watching it when he was presenting.

I haven't watched this in a few weeks and it was actually going ok tonight till them country simpletons ( Rubber Bandits) came on. I've honestly no idea what their story is? Why were the audience laughing? :confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement