Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Return of Republic of Telly

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Badger2009

Think this shows the real accent. Funny too!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14TFUu_PxA8&feature=related

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

el diablo wrote: »
    Christmas Number One, you have to be joking? Who's going to buy this shyte?

Give me Richie Kavanagh any day over these fúckwits. Can't stand their accents either. :D

Paddy Power making them odds on favourite!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

It's a slightly exaggerated version of their own accents. it's not "put-on".

Yeah I heard Prime Time from Southill last week and the accent is similar.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

krudler wrote: »
    the whole rubberbandits thing is truly lost on some people, they're not, repeat NOT skangers. they're playing fictional characters, playing up the Limerick scobe mannerisms and they do it brilliantly.
    Theyre from the Ennis Road area which is a fairly posh part of Limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I'm actually finding them quite amusing and their song is very addictive and funny.

I'll have to take back what I said about 100 posts back about them being useless etc!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

153y2rk.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

"They're from Limerick so that MUST be their real accent" - Just like everyone in Dublin talks like they're from Ballymun right? :rolleyes: The lack of intelligence, naivety and all-round general ignorance displayed by a couple of posters on here is truly arounding. Posters who i can only assume have never set foot in Limerick City.

As has been already stated they're just parodying skangers. They're actually from the North Circular Road / Ennis Road area of Limerick which is a very well-to-do area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

I've met them, they're sound, savvy and middle class, the accents are big exaggerations of their own.

Nice guys. Their plan is to get their own show...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I've met them, they're sound, savvy and middle class, the accents are big exaggerations of their own.

Nice guys. Their plan is to get their own show...
    we have a class system?

grenache wrote: »
    "They're from Limerick so that MUST be their real accent" - Just like everyone in Dublin talks like they're from Ballymun right? :rolleyes: The lack of intelligence, naivety and all-round general ignorance displayed by a couple of posters on here is truly arounding. Posters who i can only assume have never set foot in Limerick City.

As has been already stated they're just parodying skangers. They're actually from the North Circular Road / Ennis Road area of Limerick which is a very well-to-do area.
    I lived in Limerick for 2 years, and have been associated with Limerick for nearly 6 years, Limerick and parts of tipp have a distinct local sense of humour and it is hilarious, the bandits represent this very well. Not everyone can like everything but you are right when you speak of ignorance and naivety being displayed here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭el diablo

The new Richie Kavanagh, the country folk love this shít. Glad I'm out of the country at the moment.
    :rolleyes:

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

The new Richie Kavanagh, the country folk love this shít. Glad I'm out of the country at the moment.

The country folk is it? The boggers, culchies etc? Get over yourself. The rubberbandits are probably the only Irish comedy act that have ever had me in tears laughing.

I can't say the likes of Dublin comedians such as Ross O'Carroll Kelly, Katherine Lynch or Brendan O'Caroll have ever evoked more than a sigh of pure and utter despair from me when I've had to watch/listen to them for more than 20 seconds.

Not everyone in this country is going to get the humour behind RB, but for those who do it couldn't be done any better.

DarkJager wrote: »

I can't say the likes of Dublin comedians such as Ross O'Carroll Kelly, Katherine Lynch or Brendan O'Caroll have ever evoked more than a sigh of pure and utter despair from me when I've had to watch/listen to them for more than 20 seconds.

Ok, fair enough, each to their own. ;)

P.S. Katherine Lynch is from Roscommom or somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Mr Tim Buktoo

Im glad your out of the country too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭colinod0806

Im glad your out of the country too
    +1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

They from Limerick City. You appear to be of the perverse opinion that there are no other cities in Ireland apart from Dublin and that everyone who lives outside the Pale is some sort of primitive neanderthal :confused:

And yeah, Rubberbandits, Richie Kavanagh - i can totally see the likeness :D

Anyone who likes the Rubberbandits or the new song has to give today's Liveline a listen on RTE Radio Player.

Random caller with the support of Joan Burton and Joe Duffy of course having a go at the Rubberbandits song; and who comes on to defend the song..... Willie O'Dea himself, on air....and later by Blindboy from the Bandits themselves.

Absolute riot, give it a listen.

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/player_av.html?0,null,200,http://dynamic.rte.ie/quickaxs/209-r1-liveline.smil

Anyone who likes the Rubberbandits or the new song has to give today's Liveline a listen on RTE Radio Player.

Random caller with the support of Joan Burton and Joe Duffy of course having a go at the Rubberbandits song; and who comes on to defend the song..... Willie O'Dea himself, on air....and later by Blindboy from the Bandits themselves.

Absolute riot, give it a listen.

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/player_av.html?0,null,200,http://dynamic.rte.ie/quickaxs/209-r1-liveline.smil
    man the whole office here were in tears laughing at that!....bag of jokes...ha ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Mr Tim Buktoo

willie looking to get votes again

• Advertisement

willie looking to get votes again

He doesn't need to look I don't think.

Sort of TD who'll have already secured enough votes pre-today. His constituency loves him.

Great fun! Hope they'll address it tonight on Republic of Telly but its usually recorded on a Sunday or Tuesday so I doubt it will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Ok, fair enough, each to their own. ;)

P.S. Katherine Lynch is from Roscommom or somewhere.

Leitrim to be exact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

This show has improved. There are still some issues with it but it fairly watchable and enjoyable all the same. There isn't anything you haven't seen before but that shouldn't be a criticism of the show.

The Rubber Bandits song isn't bad, but I don't think its very funny. I don't get the plastic bags. Why do they have them come on to the set for only 2 - 3 minutes? along with Jennifer Maguire for things that shouldn't be but are.

The Enda Kenny Bedtime Story is good but over done.

Anyway if your really wanted you could be really critical, take a look at my TBBT thread and really it got me know where. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Elmo wrote: »
    The Rubber Bandits song isn't bad, but I don't think its very funny. I don't get the plastic bags.

I think they started with them because they didn't know if people in Limerick would appreciate them taking the piss. Safety first and all that.

Although it's quite obvious that one of them is Kevo who used to present PhysiQuiz.

This show has improved. There are still some issues with it but it fairly watchable and enjoyable all the same. There isn't anything you haven't seen before but that shouldn't be a criticism of the show.

The Rubber Bandits song isn't bad, but I don't think its very funny. I don't get the plastic bags. Why do they have them come on to the set for only 2 - 3 minutes? along with Jennifer Maguire for things that shouldn't be but are.

Anyway if your really wanted you could be really critical, take a look at my TBBT thread and really it got me know where. :(
    funny you mention the plastic bags...i never even gave them a seconds thought and i've been a fan well over a year!

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Although it's quite obvious that one of them is Kevo who used to present PhysiQuiz.

hahaaha... :D

the bandits are the only reason i watch this show.
    a funny bit last night was when the kids were getting interviewed.

• Advertisement

Not sure if that is true, I saw a picture of them in The Daily Mail (:o I didn't buy it) neither looked like Kevo.

Not sure if that is true, I saw a picture of them in The Daily Mail (:o I didn't buy it) neither looked like Kevo.

Kevo is like Daft Punk - he regularly employs actors to play the roles to keep the tabloids off his back.

Looks like he tricked them again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

The pic in the Daily Mail is not the Rubberbandits.;)

DarkJager wrote: »
    The pic in the Daily Mail is not the Rubberbandits.;)

Obviously - cause Kevo isn't in the pic.

Obviously - cause Kevo isn't in the pic.

:confused:

I don't know how to trust the Internet, or the Daily Mail, both aren't very reliable.

• Advertisement

I don't know how to trust the Internet, or the Daily Mail, both aren't very reliable.

Well you should never trust the Daily Mail anyways.

Please don't waste money on this anti-Irish rag. :rolleyes:

Please don't waste money on this anti-Irish rag. :rolleyes:

Bastarding anti-Irish paper passing off fake photos of the Rubberbandits.

I hope Kevo complains to the Press Ombudsman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Having met them I can confirm that the guys in the picture are...

Their roadies and yoke getters. A bandit would never attempt a dodgy tache like that.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

I can't believe people are actually on the radio giving out about the video/song/band. It's a pisstake people. A joke. A bit of a laugh. Anyone who can take this seriously needs a major sense of humour injection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

It's a slightly exaggerated version of their own accents. it's not "put-on".

massively exaggerated. trust me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

us country folk dont get the sheer comedic genius of Brendan O'Carroll or Katherine Lynch clearly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 danielmoran

funny you mention the plastic bags...i never even gave them a seconds thought and i've been a fan well over a year!
    The Rubber Bandits song isn't bad, but I don't think its very funny. I don't get the plastic bags.

The plastic bags represent concealed identity and are a gag about when people told you not to put plastic bags on your head when you are a child.

us country folk dont get the sheer comedic genius of Brendan O'Carroll or Katherine Lynch clearly.
    Since when is Katherine Lynch from Dublin? She's actually from Leitrim or Roscommon. And everyone knows that O'Carroll is shyte. You're the second person to make this exact same statement. :rolleyes:

And what about Dara O'Briain, Ed Byrne, David O'Doherty, David McSavage etc? Why do you mention Brendan O'Carroll and not this lot? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭gregers85

I think they started with them because they didn't know if people in Limerick would appreciate them taking the piss. Safety first and all that.

they wear the plastic bags because they started doing prank phone calls around limerick a few yrs ago. its to hide there identity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

gregers85 wrote: »
    they wear the plastic bags because they started doing prank phone calls around limerick a few yrs ago. its to hide there identity
    It's also a handy way of ensuring they don't go down to the shop and forget to bring a plastic bag.

Funnily enough you can hide your identity over the phone by just turning off caller ID. But I guess they needed to be extra careful because it was Limerick, yeah?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

You mean like this chap?
    fonejacker.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭colinod0806

goooooooooddd afternoon sir:D

Haddockman wrote: »
    You mean like this chap?
    fonejacker.jpg

I find him annoying and unfunny but I possible can't say that because he isn't from the back end of Ireland and possibly doesn't have a huge following of culchies following him. I suppose I should feel embarrassed for the English. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dannyriver

And what about Dara O'Briain, Ed Byrne, David O'Doherty, David McSavage etc? Why do you mention Brendan O'Carroll and not this lot? :confused:

Man you must be so sickened by the way the rubber bandits have exploded. I spent the past 40 minutes following the thread and the the anger and resentment you've displayed towards the rubberbandits/limerick/working class people/culchies and it appears anyone who doesn't come from the intellectual stronghold that is Dublin. After the 'Horse Outside' video came out and the thing went mega I noticed you kind of went missing for a few days, then back on again with the same tired line that only boggers would get this and the outrageous assumption that there is only one accent in a city like Limerick. As someone on here said 'does everyone in Dublin speak with Ballymun accents.'

Now since last week unless you ve had your head up your hole you ll have heard Blindboy on the Joe Duffy show and seen the recording of said show on you tube. [90 000 viewers speaking of the acute intelligence of BlindBoy Boatclub] He explained the meaning and in fact reason why artists make art and why often people miss the point. People like you and Joe Duffy and your pals like Anthony. Finally, the Dublin comedians you refer, 2 in particular Dara O brian and David doherty, have all emphatically endorsed the rubberbanits with O brian going out of his way to big them up on british breakfast TV last week. And if that wasn't enough Graham Linehan the writer of Father of Ted [I don't mean to be condecending by explaining to you who he is but there's nothing in your posts so far to suggest that you might be informed of such things] tweeted of blindboys genius yesterday.

Remember prejudice and anger will always get in the way of understanding art, in particular comedy when the work is deeply ironic. Often the viewer's [you in this case] frustration is not caused by the art itself but the people who are making it..I'm sorry but somehow your belief that they were inbred Limerick scummers caused an emotional reaction in you which didn't allow you to engage with the part of your brain which is needed to process this kind of irony. I suspect they threatened some part of your identity as an Irish person which propelled you to immediately retalite with the aim of distancing yourself from them. That's a reflection of how secure you feel with who you are and where you have come from. With all due respects you need to travel outside Dublin and visit other smaller towns and cities around Ireland, you have been misinformed as to what goes on in them. Ireland my friend is a very very small nation whose children watch the same TV, have the same cultural infuences and most importantly are taught by the same education system. In other words the difference between those in Dublin and Limerick is minimal compared to the similarities. Ask David O Doherty, Graham Linehan or Dara O Brian to explain this stuff to you or go the whole hog and mail BlindBoy, he'll be smart enough to debate with you without taking it personally I'm sure. Peace Love and Understanding :)

Finally if the Pappy on here who has been fighting the bandits case is the same one who sticks up their vids on you tube fair play i notice some of those vids are a few years old...you hit the nail on the head there kid...Yurt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Colmo52

Haddockman wrote: »
    You mean like this chap?
    fonejacker.jpg

I dont understand why he needs to wear a mask while prank calling.

They Cant See You.

Just skimmed through your post but not sure why I'd be sickened or feel threatened by the success of them Bandits. :confused: It doesn't bother me either way. I suggest you quit the amateur psychology as it's not really your forté in fairness. I don't listen to Joe Duffy and I've been out of the country anyway.

Merry Christmas. :)

• Advertisement

Just skimmed through your post but not sure why I'd be sickened or feel threatened by the success of them Bandits. :confused: It doesn't bother me either way. I suggest you quit the amateur psychology as it's not really your forté in fairness. I don't listen to Joe Duffy and I've been out of the country anyway.

Merry Christmas. :)

Do you like Ed Byrne? Or is it just that he happened to get on to UK TV? Because he's fairly ****.

Advertisement