Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Return of Republic of Telly

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dannyriver

el diablo wrote: »
    Just skimmed through your post but not sure why I'd be sickened or feel threatened by the success of them Bandits. :confused: It doesn't bother me either way. I suggest you quit the amateur psychology as it's not really your forté in fairness. I don't listen to Joe Duffy and I've been out of the country anyway.

Merry Christmas. :)

Naw man you read it all...and you are sickened...and finally being out of the country doesn't stop you having access to the internet. As for Joe Duffy it's up on you tube kid. Take a listen and get back to me and argue your case with this Limerick culchie in a rational fashion as I have done for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4y_24liaq0

Awaiting your reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭el diablo

Dannyriver wrote: »
    Naw man you read it all...and you are sickened...and finally being out of the country doesn't stop you having access to the internet. As for Joe Duffy it's up on you tube kid. Take a listen and get back to me and argue your case with this Limerick culchie in a rational fashion as I have done for you.

Awaiting your reply.
    No thanks, I don't have time for checking Youtube and finding out who's Twittering who.

And yes I'm sickened alright. How do you know me so well? :rolleyes:

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭Fo Real

El Diablo, please ignore Dannyriver. I'd be very suspicious of someone like him who registered a new account just to post on this thread to defend the Rubberbandits.

Don't give up the day job, Danny. You're no psychologist. Have you ever considered that some people don't like the Rubberbandits cos they're shíte and not funny? Perhaps you should take your own advice and travel beyond the bogs of gombeen Ireland, where people speak clearly and intelligbly (unlike your idols). People will forget about them by next week and will be embarassed in future to admit that they "used to like that song". They represent an uneducated, ignorant rural element of Irish society which you obviously associate with, which is fine. Just don't expect the rest of us with jobs and college degrees to do the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Haddockman wrote: »
    You mean like this chap?
    fonejacker.jpg

He shows his face all the time in both fonejacker and facejacker. and hes been on Mock the Week a few times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

And what about Dara O'Briain, Ed Byrne, David O'Doherty, David McSavage etc? Why do you mention Brendan O'Carroll and not this lot? :confused:

Dara O'Briain is funny, Dave Mcsavage, knob that he is is responsible for The Savage Eye, which is the funniest thing RTE had done in years. Ed Byrne, meh dont like or hate him.

I said O'Carroll and Lynch as their humour is very Dublin-centric, same as the bandits are very Limerick centric humour.

• Advertisement

Fo Real wrote: »
    El Diablo, please ignore Dannyriver. I'd be very suspicious of someone like him who registered a new account just to post on this thread to defend the Rubberbandits.

Don't give up the day job, Danny. You're no psychologist. Have you ever considered that some people don't like the Rubberbandits cos they're shíte and not funny? Perhaps you should take your own advice and travel beyond the bogs of gombeen Ireland, where people speak clearly and intelligbly (unlike your idols). People will forget about them by next week and will be embarassed in future to admit that they "used to like that song". They represent an uneducated, ignorant rural element of Irish society which you obviously associate with, which is fine. Just don't expect the rest of us with jobs and college degrees to do the same.

Correct I did set up the account to defend the rubberbandits but more importantly for me express my viewpoint regarding the elitist tones of the guy in the other posts. If you don't like rubberbandits and you think they re **** that's cool I'm not mad about Brendan O Carroll or the unbelievables but only because it a style of humour that I m not really into not because of the people who made it. As for using 'the future' and stuff that hasn't happened yet as a foundation for your argument well perhaps you should get those college books out again and refresh on how to supply a well formed argument based on facts not conjecture. Nice one.

No thanks, I don't have time for checking Youtube and finding out who's Twittering who.

And yes I'm sickened alright. How do you know me so well? :rolleyes:

Oh go on take a listen you'll love it. Surely you dislike Joe Duffy..He takes an awful bashing.

Correct I did set up the account to defend the rubberbandits but more importantly for me express my viewpoint regarding the elitist tones of the guy in the other posts. If you don't like rubberbandits and you think they re **** that's cool I'm not mad about Brendan O Carroll or the unbelievables but only because it a style of humour that I m not really into not because of the people who made it. As for using 'the future' and stuff that hasn't happened yet as a foundation for your argument well perhaps you should get those college books out again and refresh on how to supply a well formed argument based on facts not conjecture. Nice one.

Get over your inferiority complex. Didn't get enough points for Trinity? Why are you so mad?

Get over your inferiority complex. Didn't get enough points for Trinity? Why are you so mad?
    Talking bout yourself there kid!!!! I'll chat to later ok I've to go feed some chickens and liberate some peat from the darkened soil of the west of Ireland. Mind yourself...

Talking bout yourself there kid!!!! I'll chat to later ok I've to go feed some chickens and liberate some peat from the darkened soil of the west of Ireland. Mind yourself...

no-u1.jpg

Such a childish reaction. You're obviously not intellectually equipped to defend your opinions with a solid argument. Every few years, the culchies manage to get a "trophy song" into the charts and they think they're super stars. This year it's the RubberBandits, a few years ago it was Richie Kavanagh. Enjoy being the butt of the joke for a few weeks. The rest of us will get on with our lives in the meantime.

Happy Christmas.

• Advertisement

no-u1.jpg

Such a childish reaction. You're obviously not intellectually equipped to defend your opinions with a solid argument. Every few years, the culchies manage to get a "trophy song" into the charts and they think they're super stars. This year it's the RubberBandits, a few years ago it was Richie Kavanagh. Enjoy being the butt of the joke for a few weeks. The rest of us will get on with our lives in the meantime.

Happy Christmas.

I repeat your talking bout yourself there kid!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I have to agree with Dannyriver. And no offence to El diablo.

el diablo isn't unusual here on boards or in Ireland (even though I hear that he/she isn't residing in the country ATM).

That is to say that they really can't get over the clushie humour how can people find these people funny and the go on to mention a number of Irish Comedians who happen to only make it in Ireland, which suggests

"if your only making it in Ireland you must not be very good, and the only proof of a good Irish comic is to see them travel to the UK and do well there."

This is of course on their instance that Irish people like their English cousins have a similar sense of humour. Indeed when Dara O'Brien was making it big in the UK many of these types where wonder how a presenter of Echo Island could be considered funny, Jarleth Regan better be careful. (But then it is unlike that they ever heard of Jarleth Regan).

The general tone is to suggest that most Irish comics are no more than Richie Kavanagh (who to my mind was completely ignored by the Dublin Media, with good reason).

BTW I amn't a fan of the Rubber Bandits but then this thread isn't about them. And yes some people think they are funny and others don't, but then there are many people who think that "Last of the Summer Wine" is very funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Colmo52

krudler wrote: »
    He shows his face all the time in both fonejacker and facejacker. and hes been on Mock the Week a few times

He's never been on Mock the Week but I do remember seeing him on 8 out of 10 cats. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭TheGodBen

They represent an uneducated, ignorant rural element of Irish society which you obviously associate with, which is fine.
    They're parodying an urban phenomenon; people in housing estates with high levels of crime, drugs and (bizarrely) horse ownership. This type of culture is present in many towns and cities across Ireland, including Dublin. Where are you getting this bizarre notion that they're rural? :confused:

By the way, they come from a middle-class area of Limerick and one of them is allegedly doing a masters degree in psychology, so do you still think they're uneducated?

TheGodBen wrote: »
    By the way, they come from a middle-class area of Limerick and one of them is allegedly doing a masters degree in psychology, so do you still think they're uneducated?

Dannyriver you should pay more attention to your lectures before coming on boards to analysis el diablo. ;)

Elmo wrote: »
    Dannyriver you should pay more attention to your lectures before coming on boards to analysis el diablo. ;)
    sorry elmo what u getting at ???????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Shane10

heard the bandits on ian dempsey this morn and there doing a bit on joe duffy wed night after blindboy's cameo on his show a few weeks back.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Mr Tim Buktoo

Shane10 wrote: »
    heard the bandits on ian dempsey this morn and there doing a bit on joe duffy wed night after blindboy's cameo on his show a few weeks back.:D

they should stay away from the freak duffy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

People will forget about them by next week and will be embarassed in future to admit that they "used to like that song". They represent an uneducated, ignorant rural element of Irish society which you obviously associate with, which is fine. Just don't expect the rest of us with jobs and college degrees to do the same.

They've been around for over a decade, earned rave reviews from their electric picnic performances, and even seasick steve found them amusing.

Jobs and college degrees, yes because all people with jobs and college degrees are the same... tut tut tut.

your like this guy,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

They represent an uneducated, ignorant rural element of Irish society which you obviously associate with, which is fine. Just don't expect the rest of us with jobs and college degrees to do the same.

They don't represent them, they take the piss out of them. The 2 lads are both educated, have been to college and have very good jobs so no need for the upper class snobbery in your post. Get over it.

sorry elmo what u getting at ???????

I was trying to be funny based on the fact that one of the Rubber Bandits is doing psychology, posters who slagged of your pseudo-psychology and the fact you have a low post count. Which can only lead me to believe that you are indeed the Rubber Bandits. :rolleyes:

I was trying to be funny based on the fact that one of the Rubber Bandits is doing psychology, posters who slagged of your pseudo-psychology and the fact you have a low post count. Which can only lead me to believe that you are indeed the Rubber Bandits. :rolleyes:
    Honoured you might think so but no I'm not ;)

A Masters Degree in Psychology? I find this very hard to believe as they don't come across as the brightest sparks. (I saw their "Farming Arses" sketch which is "comedy" you'd expect from a 14 year old school boy).

I'll watch ROT tonight but switch off when these fools appear.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

A Masters Degree in Psychology? I find this very hard to believe as they don't come across as the brightest sparks. (I saw their "Farming Arses" sketch which is "comedy" you'd expect from a 14 year old school boy).

Hi anthony, you have actually managed to take fictional characters at face value.
    they don't come across as the brightest sparks.

now that is funny!!

i suppose harry hill isn't very bright either?

Hi anthony, you have actually managed to take fictional characters at face value.

now that is funny!!

i suppose harry hill isn't very bright either?

Who's Anthony? :confused:

Not sure how you can compare Harry Hill to these two. :rolleyes:

Was that the special needs chap from the Spar ad doing the carol singing?

Was that the special needs chap from the Spar ad doing the carol singing?

He seems to be an "entertainer" he was on The Daily Show (no not with Jon Stewart) a while back.

Harry Hill is a Qualified Doctor*.

*A GP if it makes it any less of a profession :rolleyes:

This show is OK with a couple of obvious exceptions. Whelan is a much better presenter than the Delamere. Now if only they'd get rid of Bernard O'Shea and the carol singer and of course them Bandits. Can't really see what the fuss is all about. Also, that boney lad should keep his shirt on. What a hideous sight. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

This show is OK with a couple of obvious exceptions. Whelan is a much better presenter than the Delamere. Now if only they'd get rid of Bernard O'Shea and the carol singer and of course them Bandits. Can't really see what the fuss is all about. Also, that boney lad should keep his shirt on. What a hideous sight. :rolleyes:

Pretty sure if they did that they'd lose a substantial amount of viewers. Like it or now they're a HUGE draw for the show this season.

Pretty sure if they did that they'd lose a substantial amount of viewers. Like it or now they're a HUGE draw for the show this season.

AFAIK the series has gained some ground but it is still not doing as well as RTÉ might like.

Last nights show wasn't great.

The carol singing part last night might have gone better if performed by a severely brain damaged child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

The Carol Singing was painful to watch.

The carol singing part last night might have gone better if performed by a severely brain damaged child.

Come on people lets can we not be so un-PC towards people with disabilities.

Also I take back what I said about the shows performance oddly its repeat is getting around the same audience as its first showing, same goes for Livin' with Lucy :confused:

Come on people lets can we not be so un-PC towards people with disabilities.

Also I take back what I said about the shows performance oddly its repeat is getting around the same audience as its first showing, same goes for Livin' with Lucy :confused:
    I wasn't being un-pc, in fact you could say the "comedian" was by acting in such a manner. People with disabilities have fun and partake in xmas plays etc also, i'm just saying that the carol singing on tv last night would not be as good.

• Advertisement

I wasn't being un-pc, in fact you could say the "comedian" was by acting in such a manner. People with disabilities have fun and partake in xmas plays etc also, i'm just saying that the carol singing on tv last night would not be as good.

As into liken them to him :eek:

The bandits lost the xmas no 1 battle.

http://irma.ie/aucharts.asp

I ve never seen the 2 boys interviewed out of character...have you..so how would you know if they re intelligent or not. They've just signed an international record deal with one of the majors by the way...not the brightest sparks indeed !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭SHREDDER

And what about Dara O'Briain, Ed Byrne, David O'Doherty, David McSavage etc? Why do you mention Brendan O'Carroll and not this lot? :confused:

Fair point, they're ****e. Though I think McSavage is the best out of the lot. There are alot of ****e main stream performers that are making awful handy money in Ireland.
    most of the panel for example. How exactly has Ed byrne enjoyed life in the spot light for so long?

While I'm talking about **** comedy, I heard Michael Mcyntires play it safe, observational main stream, christmas drivel on the radio yesterday. The Guy is a "posh Spaz!"

I reckon Catherine Lynch had the bones to be funny, but RTE tainted her and turned her in to low budget comedy aimed for gays and morons.
    I'd say she'd be funny in real life.

SEX! XXX

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I enjoyed last night's episode especially The Wizard of Oz :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

That Wizard of Oz thing the other night was quality. Haven't laughed as hard at something on RTÉ in quite a while.

The Mario Rosenstock bit was good also.

Cracked.com seem to understand it better than you do seen as they ve put [as you referred to them] '2 culchies with plastic bags on their heads' ahead of Monthy Phyton and Jonathon Swift...wtf... It must be a conspiracy ...see if yourself and the other bastions of real comedy can get to the bottom of it. let us know if you unearth anything. Brilliant.:D
    http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-satirists-attacked-by-people-who-totally-missed-point_p2

Cracked.com seem to understand it better than you do seen as they ve put [as you referred to them] '2 culchies with plastic bags on their heads' ahead of Monthy Phyton and Jonathon Swift...wtf... It must be a conspiracy ...see if yourself and the other bastions of real comedy can get to the bottom of it. let us know if you unearth anything. Brilliant.:D
    http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-satirists-attacked-by-people-who-totally-missed-point_p2

People weren't as slow in the 19th century. And lets face it many of the poor in Ireland couldn't read or write English (some didn't even speak it:eek:), so only those educated Anglo-irish people could be horrified. It's different now, the poor of Limerick can all see and hear and thus think about being insulted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

I think he's the best part of the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It's back on RTE 2 next Monday

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Hopefully without them Rubberbandit fools. Their fifteen minutes is long up. Back to working in Supermacs within the year me thinks. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Hopefully without them Rubberbandit fools. Their fifteen minutes is long up. Back to working in Supermacs within the year me thinks. :)

You still don't get it eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

That's just pissed me off no end,is yer wan still on it do ye know?

You still don't get it eh?

I do get it. They're just not funny. I'll never understand why they're so popular. :confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement