Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 seperate broadband connections on 1 pc

• 15-02-2010 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hi All
    I have a question ,
    Firstly I have Irishbroadband aerial on the roof which is excellent for what I use it for,
    Secondly I also have a router dsl connection bundle from Digiweb,
    I have 1 pc
    I want to keep both connections for the moment, can I use 1 or the other connection anytime I want by unpluging 1 or other cable from the pc,

I dont see why I cannot do this in the dial up days I had a few internet connections from different suppliers and just had a different icon to click for each connection ,
    can I save the settings as say lan1 connection for Irishbroadband and also then save the settings as say lan2 for Digiweb connection,

plug in Irishbroadband cable from modem and click lan1 and away I go, and when I want to swop quit and change cable to Digiweb router and click lan2 and of I go again
    any help would be greatly appreciated
    regards D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

why bother ...surely it would be cheaper to have 1 broadband and just use that.

and yes ! .... you can use both...literally plug one cable out - plug the other cable in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

You can do the whole plugin in and out thing no problem...

Better way to do it would be to have the 2 plugged in at the same time and just keep changing the default gateway when you want to change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

why would you want to do this?? they're all just putting you on the same place... the internet!

IMO drop your arial and stick with your DSL for everything. Save yourself some money and hassle

the reason why you can't fo this is because of routing, your PC will take one at a time, usually the first connected. the only way you could specifically ask it to use each connection would be via static routes

for all routes to the internet:
    route add 0.0.0.0 Mask 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.254 (default gateway address of main internet connection)

for one specific website:
    route add -p 62.231.32.11 (your specific website address) mask 255.255.255.255 192.168.2.254 (default gateway of secondary connection)

Also if both cards are using local subnets (ie address not published directly to the internet) you may have difficilty with local routing.

ie: card 1 ip address: 192.168.1.1 / Gateway 192.168.1.1/254
    card 2 ip address: 192.168.1.2 / gateway 192.168.1.1/254

your pc would get confused and probably not get to the internet at all as it wouldn't necessarily know which card to send the data out of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Well you could imagine a situation whereby you had a wired internal network for file storage/streaming and then a wireless connection for the web.

Computers should really be able to use both but I guess they're not?

bricks wrote: »
    You can do the whole plugin in and out thing no problem...

Better way to do it would be to have the 2 plugged in at the same time and just keep changing the default gateway when you want to change.
    ro enable / diabsle cards, changing default gateway wouldn't work and you'd only be changing the gateway for each specific card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭chillin_penguin

Pointless really Your pc will just pic one and go with that to double ur connections does not mean you double ur internet speed. But that would be so cool if u could

Pointless really Your pc will just pic one and go with that to double ur connections does not mean you double ur internet speed. But that would be so cool if u could
    if this was facebook i would "like" your post!!!

you can actually do it using a cisco router, but its complicated and involves packet splitting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

enda1 wrote: »
    Computers should really be able to use both but I guess they're not?

You can do that. The two network adapters must be in different IP ranges.
    if this was facebook i would "like" your post!!!

Thanks button looks like this post_thanks.gif

jor el wrote: »
    Thanks button looks like this post_thanks.gif

don't wanna say thanks, wanna LIKE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

don't wanna say thanks, wanna LIKE

It's more a thumb of approval than thanks or like. So it would suit your needs. Picky :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭darklordsbane

Thanks everybody for the replys,
    I suppose I should have said why I want to do this, I tried a router on my irish broadband account with very limited results,
    so I gave up and just use normal connection for downloading torrents xbox surfing etc, pain in the arse because of arguments over it's my turn he's been on it for ages and the like, also when I asked ib about it they told me I can only have 1 thing connected at a time,
    this was ok until my son got his xbox and my eldest daughter got a laptop for college, hence the need for everyone to be happy.
    I thought I might be able to leave ib on the pc for my downloading and emails surfing etc and digiweb for the wireless laptop and fixed line xbox
    I was going to use that set up until I got digiweb's router to OBEY instructions on port forwarding (any ideas anyone if so see my other post from today about open ports for bitcomet)
    regards D

limit the bandwith for bittorrent downloads and schedule them to run during the night.

maybe upgrade your BB connection and drop the other.

there's always a simpler solution.

IE

I have my bt downloads scheduled to run between 2am and 4pm, i never use the internet then and have dedicated full bandwith to it. Then between 4pm and 1am i use for work, general internet and PS3 online gaming.

Thats my own opinion, no need to overly complicate things.

m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I tried a router on my irish broadband account with very limited results,

DSL< Breeze or Ripwave, and what router were you using? There's no reason why this shouldn't work, other than it wasn't set up correctly, and you really shouldn't need to pay for 2 broadband connections.

Stick with one, get a decent router, and ask here if you need help with setting it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭darklordsbane

Hello again
    I'm signed up for a year now with digiweb I have had irish broadband for 2 years but couldn't get a router to work thats why I switched, and if digiweb works for all I'll be getting rid of irish broadband and saving myself a monthly fee, apart from that I cant fault Irish broadband.
    the router:
    I have seen on the web that other have issues as well is a zyxel-hw-t1-v2, something very strange, the date and time on the 192.168.1.1 page is correct except it reads 2000 not 2010. can anyone tell me what settings to change and ports to open,
    I have changed and rechange several settings from portforwarding.com, utube videos, and forums, etc, but none of them seem to work for me,
    the messages at the end of the router config page says config successfull but if I do a port test it fails, I'm stumped
    as always any help greatly appreciated.
    regards D

Advertisement