Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

slurry and water

• 15-02-2010 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭

Hello,
    Do many of you add water to your tanks when agitating?

I think this yr our tanks have plenty of water in them already after the bad rainfall and our silage was wet enough when baled.

If so how much water do ye add?

Its a 2 bay back to back slatted shed with standard tanks!

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

I normally put in a foot of pig slurry into the bottom of the tank before the winter. Leaves it much easier to agitate. Didn't let any into the tanks this year as I had the cattle in for a few weeks in July/August and they put a foot of slurry in the tanks - so I expect I will have to draw water to them this year with the tanker.

Find too that it depends on what was fed to the cattle over the slats. Normally pens of weinlings that were fed meal have much drier manure and is harder to agitate. Cows fed on wet silage should have watery manure.

Also, I bought a 7ft 6" agitator last year. Used to use a borrowed 6ft agitator. The deeper agitator circulates the water at the bottom of the tank and leaves the tank faster to agitate.

westlander wrote: »
    Hello,

I think this yr our tanks have plenty of water in them already after the bad rainfall and our silage was wet enough when baled.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

we usually add a minimum of 18 inches to each tank, we transfer soiled water and dairy washings with an electric pump, we add more if there is room in the tanks

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭westlander

Right thanks.

Maybe Im safer adding some water so!

I added some last yr alright after it was too dry because the cattle were let out awhile so the slurry had dried up too much.

Right pain when that happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭BeeDI

Hello,

Thanks

Couple of years ago, I found it impossible to agitate my tank, even after adding a foot of water. Neighbour gave me some of that powder stuff (Plocher)which is supposed to do away with the need for agitating, which I mixed with water and poured into the tank. Gave it a 10 minute agitation to help mix the stuff in. Must say I was a skeptic about the merits of the stuff.

Let is sit for about 4 days. Came out to the shed one morning, to find the slurry, absolutely bubbling mad up through the slats. Totally changed consistency to it. Stuck in the agitator, and had the whole thing ready for spreading in less than 15 minutes.

Anyway, I have used the stuff ever since. Once every two weeks or so, when the cattle are in I mix a little of the stuff and pour into the tank.
    The manufacturers claim there should be no need for any agitating, but I find this to be not exactly the case.
    BUT, it sure makes the agitation process a whole lot faster and easier. The slurry never seems to get that thick crust on top. It seems to be a more even mix right down the tank. 15 minute agiatation at spreading time and away you go. Water never needed :cool:

This is the stuff I use. http://www.plocher.de/englisch/productdetails.php?pid=1

I have seen other stuff advertised in the IFJ called Slurryjest. Presume it does the same job, but cannot say from experience.

The tyres on our tanker seems to be on the wrong way (grips are going the opposite way)

its more than likely a mistake but just incase could there be a reason for that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 760 ✭✭✭bk1991

The tyres on our tanker seems to be on the wrong way (grips are going the opposite way)

its more than likely a mistake but just incase could there be a reason for that?

decrese tyre wear id say ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭MrFoxman360

I always believed that it was to enable it to travel on wet ground better. Normal tractor tires are designed some what like mud tires, to dig into the ground to get traction as they are the driving wheels of the whole unit. The tanker tires are not driven, so they are fitted backwards to compress the ground it travels over to create less rolling resistance from the tanker,

Most big tanks, with the tractor grip profile, seem to have the tyres fitted "backwards"

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭kfk

BeeDI wrote: »
    Couple of years ago, I found it impossible to agitate my tank, even after adding a foot of water. Neighbour gave me some of that powder stuff (Plocher)which is supposed to do away with the need for agitating, which I mixed with water and poured into the tank. Gave it a 10 minute agitation to help mix the stuff in. Must say I was a skeptic about the merits of the stuff.

Let is sit for about 4 days. Came out to the shed one morning, to find the slurry, absolutely bubbling mad up through the slats. Totally changed consistency to it. Stuck in the agitator, and had the whole thing ready for spreading in less than 15 minutes.

Anyway, I have used the stuff ever since. Once every two weeks or so, when the cattle are in I mix a little of the stuff and pour into the tank.
    The manufacturers claim there should be no need for any agitating, but I find this to be not exactly the case.
    BUT, it sure makes the agitation process a whole lot faster and easier. The slurry never seems to get that thick crust on top. It seems to be a more even mix right down the tank. 15 minute agiatation at spreading time and away you go. Water never needed :cool:

This is the stuff I use. http://www.plocher.de/englisch/productdetails.php?pid=1

I have seen other stuff advertised in the IFJ called Slurryjest. Presume it does the same job, but cannot say from experience.

I used that powder in my tanks this year. Expensive stuff but worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

On the website, it says that Plocher stuff is just calcium carbonate. If that's all it is, surely adding a slurry of hydrated lime would do the same thing?

I always believed that it was to enable it to travel on wet ground better. Normal tractor tires are designed some what like mud tires, to dig into the ground to get traction as they are the driving wheels of the whole unit. The tanker tires are not driven, so they are fitted backwards to compress the ground it travels over to create less rolling resistance from the tanker,

Most big tanks, with the tractor grip profile, seem to have the tyres fitted "backwards"

Right. You learn something new everyday:D

• Advertisement

On the website, it says that Plocher stuff is just calcium carbonate. If that's all it is, surely adding a slurry of hydrated lime would do the same thing?

Its mostly calcium carbonate but also contains magnesium carbonate and some other ingredients. The calcium carbonate is just a carrier. It also comes in liquid form with molasses as the carrier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭lifelover2006

where did we get from talking about agitating slurry to tyre grips.

Personally I think spring lamb price will be very high this year although worried that prices of fertiliser are rising:):rolleyes::o;):D:cool::P:confused::pac::mad::(

• Registered Users Posts: 17 AgriAir

Hi BeeDI,

Just wondering if you had to order the product from the guys in Holland or is there a dealer in Ireland? From what it says it looks like a great product.

Thanks,

AgriAir.

BeeDI wrote: »

AgriAir wrote: »
    Hi BeeDI,

Just wondering if you had to order the product from the guys in Holland or is there a dealer in Ireland? From what it says it looks like a great product.

Thanks,

AgriAir.

I bought it from a company in Bandon. €400 for 10 kgs. Not sure if there are any other stockists in Ireland. You could also order it from www.swiftnature.co.uk .

• Registered Users Posts: 17 AgriAir

Hi kfk,
    Thanks for letting me know.
    Cheers,

AgriAir.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭John_F

hi kfk, just wondering what was the name in bandon? farm supply stores / bandon co-op / stock health ????

John_F wrote: »
    hi kfk, just wondering what was the name in bandon? farm supply stores / bandon co-op / stock health ????

It was farm supply stores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

kfk wrote: »
    It was farm supply stores.

would you need much stuff per bay of slurry

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

Decreased tyre wear..But also they dont bring out as much sh1te on the roads

would you need much stuff per bay of slurry

I used it last year as a once off treatment, think I used about 3 quarters of a kg per bay. It can be used weekly while cattle are housed and will help prevent crust formation. Says to use 5g per 500kg animal per week. http://www.plocher.com/englisch/productdetails.php?pid=22

• Advertisement
Advertisement