Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford to Danesfort Motorway

Options
  • 15-02-2010 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭

Due to open March 8th according to KK people ....

great day ...I´ll never have to see Ballyhell, Thomastown or Mullinavegas again :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭jonnycwh

jesus thomastown will be even deader than it already is. yes deader is a word :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

comeraghs wrote: »
    Due to open March 8th according to KK people ....

great day ...I´ll never have to see Ballyhell, Thomastown or Mullinavegas again :)

Will be very nice alright.

We're finally getting some decent transport infrastructure!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭Bards

been discussed in depth (With photos) over at Infrastructure

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055372962

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

jonnycwh wrote: »
    jesus thomastown will be even deader than it already is. yes deader is a word :D

its a perfectly cromulent word

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

Thomastown will benefit from the bypass ... the place could be attractive to tourists when all that traffic is gone & people can park.

BallyHale & Mullinavat are totally Bolloxed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,243 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Thomastown will benefit from the bypass ... the place could be attractive to tourists when all that traffic is gone & people can park.

BallyHale & Mullinavat are totally Bolloxed!
    I wonder will those pr1icks still cover the kips in flags every August when they realise now we have no reason to ever be in their sh1tty little villages again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Tourists???? In Thomastown???? Have you gone insane?

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

no we'l stick them up all along our lovely m9, so ye can enjoy them:D

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gobo99

I wonder will those pr1icks still cover the kips in flags every August when they realise now we have no reason to ever be in their sh1tty little villages again?
    sure mabey ye will pass through on your way home with Liam McCarthy some day, blowing horns and waving fl........ no wait you were right the first time.

What i want to know is will waterford fans still take the coast road home?;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

linny wrote: »
    no we'l stick them up all along our lovely m9, so ye can enjoy them:D

Well technically it is the Danesfort-Klimacow motorway ...the M9 ends several miles from Waterford after all.:D

Anyway the 8th March opening date is now looking dead in the water because of some alledged health and safety issue. All covered over in the M9 thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

gobo99 wrote: »
    sure mabey ye will pass through on your way home with Liam McCarthy some day, blowing horns and waving fl........ no wait you were right the first time.

Hurling really is the bee-all and end-all up there isnt it:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

wellboy76 wrote: »

nah its not, he's likely just trying to wind you up....poor poor attempt
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

wellboy76 wrote: »

I'm no hurling fan, but I do appreciate the All-Ireland competition. It gives the KK folk a chance to forget about their aspirations of becoming a real city and concentrate on something more attainable :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭Bards

gobo99 wrote: »

well, at least we'll feel at home on the new road, what with all those blue and white signs instead of the black and amber ones we had to endure for all these years:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭JohnC.

http://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/Motorway-to-open-on-Monday.6156455.jp
    At this point, it's well known the motorway opens Monday, but if you fancy a cycle on it, for charity, there's a cycle from Danesfort to Waterford and back on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Finally!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

out of interest and lashings of laziness on my part cos I don't often travel that way to Dublin but if you travel this new route towards Dansefort, what happens when you get there if going to Dublin? Do you still have to do the regular journey into Kilkenny and then on to Paulstown to meet up with the rest of the motorway? And for folks who do go this way, is it still faster to go via Thomastown?

I know it will eventually all meet up but just at the moment what's the story, morning glory?

Golly I made a meal of that:p

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭rayc

Yeah at the minute the primary route will be to continue into kilkenny and follow the ring road around to the Dublin exit. They're doing some upgrade works on the ring road at the minute in preparation for the traffic increase.

I'd expect, depending on time of day, it will be about the same as going by thomastown, or maybe shorter by about 5 mins. Hell of a lot nicer and less frustrating drive though.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

Kahless wrote: »
    http://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/Motorway-to-open-on-Monday.6156455.jp
    At this point, it's well known the motorway opens Monday, but if you fancy a cycle on it, for charity, there's a cycle from Danesfort to Waterford and back on Sunday.
    I did the cycle with about 50 others. Clocked up 75kms round trip from Danesfort to Waterford and back again. Took about 3 hours. Headwind all the way to Waterford, much smoother cycle back to Danefort and less hilly.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

It was a great day for a cycle alright but i was a bit unhappy with the lack of support. there was alot of people who got to the half way mark with no food or water when they were expecting some! one guy rang his mates who were still on the way and told them to turn off the road and find a shop because they all needed water! iv done a good few sportives and they always have at least a bottle of water for the people taking part!

It was still a great spin, my GF's first long trip on the bike, i had told her theres always tea and cakes at the end of these things. but no. not even a thanks for turning up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

It was a great day for a cycle alright but i was a bit unhappy with the lack of support. there was alot of people who got to the half way mark with no food or water when they were expecting some! one guy rang his mates who were still on the way and told them to turn off the road and find a shop because they all needed water! iv done a good few sportives and they always have at least a bottle of water for the people taking part!

It was still a great spin, my GF's first long trip on the bike, i had told her theres always tea and cakes at the end of these things. but no. not even a thanks for turning up!
    Yes I agree, nice cycle, and it was a good idea to get permission for Kilkennyt Co Co to do a cycle on a motorway just before it opened. The organisation of the food and water was missed. There should have been a water support vehicle at the waterford end. I gave my banana to two girls to share and offered some water at the halfway stop at the Waterford roundabout. I was lucky to carry two water bottles and extra food, when I go cycling I don't assume food and water supplied. The two who organised the cycle are fairly sound to be honest and were raising money for the hospice. It was organised at very short notice after they got permission to use the road. I suppose in future a good question to ask in advance is whether there is an organized food and water stop before leaving or turning up. I was talking to the two guys who organised it and they were thanking people, they were standing at the registration table when I met them before we set off. But they are quite guys so I guess it would have done no harm if they walked around and thanked people near their vehicles as people were setting up. It is very rare for an organised event to have no water supplied.

Just drove the new section while coming home from Dublin. Only 18 minutes from Danesfort to the end, near Waterford (sticking to 120). No getting stuck behind slow vehicles with little or no opportunity to overtake. It's great.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,187 ✭✭✭kensutz

Agreed, it was bloody brilliant to bypass all the crappy towns like Thomastown, Gowran and Ballyhale.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I'll be driving to Kilkenny on Saturday so what are ya talking from toll to kilkenny now?

ziedth wrote: »
    I'll be driving to Kilkenny on Saturday so what are ya talking from toll to kilkenny now?

Toll to motorway would be about a minute or two maybe? Motorway 18 minutes. I've not timed it, but someone else said Danesfort end to Kilkenny ring road is 6-7 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭decies

kensutz wrote: »
    Agreed, it was bloody brilliant to bypass all the crappy towns like Thomastown, Gowran and Ballyhale.
    If i want to go to gowran for the gg,s from waterford,whats the best route for me then,the new road or through ballyhale as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭vegas elvis

decies wrote: »
    If i want to go to gowran for the gg,s from waterford,whats the best route for me then,the new road or through ballyhale as usual.

The most straight foward way is to take the new road and follow the signs for Dublin which will bring you into KK around the ring road. Then take the turn off for Gowran about 5 miles out the dublin rd.

The most direct way would be to turn to the right for bennettsbridge as soon as you come off the new rd. Follow the signs for gowran once you get to bennettsbridge. The roads on this route are a bit more agricultural:D

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭savic04

i drove home from dub airport today, road was great until gowran, then it was just the normal crap road.. that slowed up the journey, so where do you get onto the new road ?

I couldnt see a link to the new road..

going to/from dublin/waterford, do I now not vear off after ballyhale before Knocktopher and take the Thomastown, Gowran route?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,187 ✭✭✭kensutz

savic04 wrote: »
    i drove home from dub airport today, road was great until gowran, then it was just the normal crap road.. that slowed up the journey, so where do you get onto the new road ?

I couldnt see a link to the new road..

going to/from dublin/waterford, do I now not vear off after ballyhale before Knocktopher and take the Thomastown, Gowran route?

Don't turn off at Paulstown. Drive straight on to the outer ring road of Kilkenny and head down to Waterford that way.

Driving to Dublin - go on the dual carriageway from train station to the roundabout. Then take the second exit, not the one that brings you down to the railway line, the following one. Then take the dual carriage to the roundabout and you're meeting the M9 on the third exit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 EmM27

Is that the end of the bypass developments then? No bypassing the stretch of road when you come off the carlow bypass up to Paulstown? I thought there would be one straight road from Dublin-Waterford.
    Thank god anyway, no more getting stuck behind slow drivers, buses & flippin tractors!! :D

Advertisement