Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice re wedding photographer terms & conditions

• 15-02-2010 3:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Getting married this summer and after meeting a few photographers, we've settled on one. We've met the photographer in person and were quite impressed.

We are going for images only (a relative owns a photo processing business so we will set out and print our own albums etc.).

We are currently reviewing the terms and conditions and I would really appreciate a knowledgeable eye taking a peek over them to make sure I'm not missing anything.

There are three things in particular:
    Term No 2: Whilst the terms and conditions indicate that a deposit must be paid, the photographer said the full fee at to be made now.

Term Nos 9 & 13: Am I correct in saying these allow us to print out the pictures we receive as many times as we like and give them to whoever we like? Obviously, not for business purposes etc.

Is this a standard condition? I would've preferred if we owned the copyright :confused:

Term 16: In the event that the photographer is unavailable, another one will be drafted in.

Is this a standard clause?

All feedback/advice really appreciated.

Thanks,
    Quad

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Those all seem very standard.

Yes, it is normal that the photographer retains copyright of his images. But, he is granting you license to print the images.

The contract seems fairly normal, and standard. I'm getting married shortly and our contract wouldn't be that different from yours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

Talk to your Photographer about your concerns. Speak directly and honestly about what you are hoping to do with the Photos.
    In the end though get any amendments to this in writing from the photographer/business.

This is what I did with our photographer before my wedding and once he understood what we wanted (have full resolution shots and a release for our personal use). It took a couple of conversations but in the end he agreed to print and sign a release for us.

We didn't want an album or more than 2 8X10 prints, just the digital shots on CDs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 pimark

Seems standard to me also.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 100 ✭✭hcnyla

Looks about right. If you have any problems then you should speak to the photographer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

Is it above board to be asked to pay the entire fee up front?

All the other photographers we met required a holding deposit then the rest of the fee on the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭daycent

quad_red wrote: »
    Is it above board to be asked to pay the entire fee up front?

All the other photographers we met required a holding deposit then the rest of the fee on the day.

Deposit first and balance on the day seems to be the norm. That's how it works for me anyway...

I'd feel a bit iffy paying the full amount up front if it was my wedding.

daycent wrote: »
    Deposit first and balance on the day seems to be the norm. That's how it works for me anyway...

I'd feel a bit iffy paying the full amount up front if it was my wedding.

I agree with the exception that I would pay upon delivery of finished product.
    That was how it worked for me (I was in another country though).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

I've recently sorted a wedding photographer.
    One 3rd on booking, second 3rd on the day & balance on receipt of completed images

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭eas

It does all seem pretty standard (I didn't actually look at the contract), but I'll say what was said above - you should call the photographer and talk to them about any questions you have re contract. If it's not clear what he or she is saying, ask them to say it/write it in a way that you can easily understand.

congrats!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

We paid a small booking deposit in advance and then paid in full the day after our wedding when we got our album and the disc with the raw files.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

Thanks for all the advice.

We did feel everything was above boards but the photographers insistence that any proper photographer would demand full payment in advance.

Which wasn't what any other photographer asked.

Mmmmm. Should we be nervous?

Thanks for all the advice.

We did feel everything was above boards but the photographers insistence that any proper photographer would demand full payment in advance.

Which wasn't what any other photographer asked.

Mmmmm. Should we be nervous?

From this and the OP I would have to say, if you have time, keep looking.
    You don't seem comfortable with this photographer and that is IMPORTANT for a wedding.
    You really want to be comfortable and relaxed with your wedding photographer. You want to be able to be yourself and have fun, you will get better photos of your day (both the formals and candids).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭eas

any proper photographer would demand full payment in advance.

Standards can vary from country to country - but here it's standard to pay a booking deposit and then the rest on the day of the wedding.

It works a bit different in the UK, where it's a bit more "normal" to find photographers looking for a deposit, then full payment a week or two before the wedding. In this case the photographer is thinking - if I show up to the wedding and something bad happens (brides + grooms do sometimes get cold feet) then he's/she's covered.

IMO - you should never pay full amount until at the very most - 2 weeks before the wedding. Too many things can happen between booking the photographer and the wedding itself, some of which means you'll be out of money...and still need a photographer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

With regards to another photographer being drafted in, this is the part of my contract I put a lot of emphasis on. I myself did not have a contract when I married and when the photographer became to ill to attend (Iwas informed the evening before) I had the stress of sorting it out myself.

I'd be more wary if your photographer did not address this possiblity.

Advertisement