Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tescoisation of Ireland?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭miec

Ultimately, you get what you pay for. Buy everything in the supermarket? They'll have all the market share, dominate and the local grocery/butcher/bakery will close down.

I agree, it is up to us as consumers to support smaller businesses. Like many others here I buy my meat and veg from butchers/greengrocers and the rest of my stuff in Aldi/Lidl or Dunnes or a local shop. I have since learned that Dunnes charge their suppliers even more (it was on Today FM on the last word) so it may be that Tesco's is getting all the rap for this but my beef with them is that they make out they are Irish friendly, I find that Lidl and Aldi do not make such claims, you know the stuff is imported elsewhere, this tends to get hidden in Tesco's and other supermarkets, that is what annoys me the most, in the same way that labelling is giving the image of being one thing (eg: low fat or green or healthy) when in reality it is another thing.

Already there are towns and villages in Ireland whose centres are dying a slow death because of the rise of retail parks and shopping centres, which results in a loss of community. Also if you don't have a car to get to these places your fecked.

Advertisement