Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I insulate an exterior aluminium framed door with expanding foam

• 15-02-2010 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Our front door has PVC panels but the frame for the door is made of aluminium. I recently measured the temp of the door using a infrared laser thermometer and noted that the pvc panels are at 12 degrees but the frame is at 5 degrees.

This causes a considerable amount of moisture to appear on the frame and it is often dripping with moisture. I am putting most of this down to thermal bridging.

Is it possible to drill some holes into the frame and fill it with expanding foam?

The best place to drill the holes would be along the edge where the bolts of the door slide into too. The door is about 3 cm thick so in theory there should be room to drill holes and fill.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Thermal bridging is through the metal not the air inside the metal frame.
    Filling the cavity with foam will make little difference as the aluminium is a good conductor of heat and cold.

Advertisement