Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

mex strat or epiphone les paul?

• 15-02-2010 3:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭

i'm thinking of trading in my les paul for a mex strat but i'm undecided.
    we play songs by bands like blur and vampire weekend and artic monkeys etc. and the odd blink 182 etc.
    which would be the better option?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I would seriously consider a squire classic vibe strat. They are truely fantastic guitars for the cash, €250~, and are better than your average mex strat. I'd definitely go and play both a mex fender, and a classic vibe and see for yourself, you wont be disappointed.
    I own both, and the Squire definitely plays better, i'm in the middle of modding it at the minute. I should have some pics up in the next week when it's done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

yeah i was thinking of doing that but xmusic will only give me 250 on a trade in and a guy's supposed to be coming down to have a look at the epi for a straight trade with his mex

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

go strat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Strat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Secret option no. 3 - Telecaster?

If you're into that 'indie' pop rock jangle, a Tele might be worth giving a go. Like Alanstrainor said, I've heard savage things about the Classic Vibe Tele.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Ste, whats your budget? The man above suggested Tele, with which I agree, but have you thought about Jaguar/Jazzmaster?

didn't have a budget i was going for a straight swap got a mex with custom shop fender pickups and electronics from a usa strat, hardtailed and set up by jamescustomguitars. Lads i'm in heaven :)

Nice one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Nice indeed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭Ross Mc

a lot people i think are going by oppinions here, what kind of epiphone are thinking and also what kind of budget do you have?

Oh nevermind you went with the oppinions :(

even though it's too late i would have gone for a epiphone or a squire strat

• Advertisement

Ross Mc wrote: »
    even though it's too late i would have gone for a epiphone or a squire strat

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, eh, your opinion, man ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭Ross Mc

El Pr0n wrote: »
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, eh, your opinion, man ;)

i know but thought it was all just a bit one sided :p

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Thornography

Don`t get either,

Look for a MIJ 1988 strat, Same cost as a new mex strat but 10x better.

Don`t get either,

Look for a MIJ 1988 strat, Same cost as a new mex strat but 10x better.

Did you read the thread? :D

i don't think most people did :L
    wow i love the mex.
    the scn's aren't as far away from humbuckers as you'd think.
    less twang than stock.

El Pr0n wrote: »
    Did you read the thread? :D

lol indeed I did :) BUUUUT, (and theirs always a but) for another option id go MIJ.

Sticking on topic doh id suggest the mex strat.

lol indeed I did :) BUUUUT, (and theirs always a but) for another option id go MIJ.

Sticking on topic doh id suggest the mex strat.

But he's already got the guitar ;)

hahhahah my bad!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 00_ghost_27

anoyx.jpg

Enjoy your Strat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 TiernanMorrisey

Personally I'd keep the Epiphone Les Paul.

If youre in the market for buying a Fender , either save up and get an American 80's Fender rather than go with the cheap option and get a Mexican Fender. I've played both and the difference is immense, the new Mexican Fenders are only a little step above the Squiers at present, overall theyre not a great guitar (in my opinion)

On the other hand, the only major difference between the Epiphone and the Gibson is: the pick-ups , Epiphone's are made in a factory and the brand name.

If you were to get a low end Gibson and a high end Epiphone , the Epiphone is going to come out on top and its not going to break the bank to do so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Personally I'd keep the Epiphone Les Paul.

If youre in the market for buying a Fender , either save up and get an American 80's Fender rather than go with the cheap option and get a Mexican Fender. I've played both and the difference is immense, the new Mexican Fenders are only a little step above the Squiers at present, overall theyre not a great guitar (in my opinion)

On the other hand, the only major difference between the Epiphone and the Gibson is: the pick-ups , Epiphone's are made in a factory and the brand name.

If you were to get a low end Gibson and a high end Epiphone , the Epiphone is going to come out on top and its not going to break the bank to do so

All that typing and he got his new guitar about 2 months ago already! Good man!

Advertisement