Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"The vast majority of people in these estates are lovely"

Options
  • 15-02-2010 3:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭

So they say.....

I see there was another report in the Indo today about mothers in Southill wanting the guards to take their kids away from them because the place is a sh*thole and their kids are turning into vermin basically.
    And Joe Young is on again saying how the "vast majority of people in Southill are the greatest people you could ever meet".
    Sorry to be so un-pc but, far as I am concerned thats utter bo**ocks. The elderly up there I have no qualms with and I am sure they majority of the settled familys are also absolutely the finest. But from what I can see and those I know personally, the vast majority of 15-40 year olds I know and know of from Southill are not fine, not even close. From my own personal experience, if anything, the majority, male and female that i know, within that age group are scobes of the highest order and I would not feel comfortable in their company. And I am no shrinking violet. And its not just Southill. I would say the same about St Mary's and the Island Field. Was in Xtravision yesterday in Grove Island when 4 young fellas walked in, started roaring and shouting, "Island Field in the House Wan*ers" abusing everyone in the shop, took 5 bags of popcorn and just walked out laughing. No one did anything to stop them and i wouldnt expect anyone to. Especially the workers. They are not being paid to go after the likes of them. Any time i have driven into St Mary's the dirty looks you get from so many people is unreal. Really feels intimidating just being in there.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Posts like yours above, altough true enough, are really depressing when you sit back and think about.

Those lads you talk about are completely gone off the rails, and have no respect at all for other humans. And they'll probably just get worse.

Looking at that article though, is it the parents fault? Surely if you can't control a 12 year old there is something wrong. Being un-pc, just give the fella a good slapping.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Casperbhoy

it is depressing when you think about it

The problem will only get worse too. Was thinking of buying a house in Limerick city, I`m giving it second thoughts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭PeteSanchez

Casperbhoy wrote: »
    it is depressing when you think about it

The problem will only get worse too. Was thinking of buying a house in Limerick city, I`m giving it second thoughts

Limerick is 90% fine and I would have no hesitation atall about recommending buying a house in most of it, just stay away from any area within 10 minute walking distance of Moyross, Southill, St Mary's Park/Island Field and The Hyde Road.

Those fu*kers in Grove Island made me sick. Their attitude was horrible. They get away with it cos they know they can. And no way was anyone gonna challenge them, and they know it.
    "Island Field in Da House Wan*ers" What that really means is " I am a scobe, you know it, I know it, i am gonna behave how I want, rob all this popcorn and your not gonna do a thing about it because your scared"

And worst part is, they are dead right.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Limerick is 90% fine and I would have no hesitation atall about recommending buying a house in most of it, just stay away from any area within 10 minute walking distance of Moyross, Southill, St Mary's Park/Island Field and The Hyde Road.
    Those fu*kers in Grove Island made me sick. Their attitude was horrible. They get away with it cos they know they can. And no way was anyone gonna challenge them, and they know it.
    "Island Field in Da House Wan*ers" What that really means is " I am a scobe, you know it, I know it, i am gonna behave how I want, rob all this popcorn and your not gonna do a thing about it because your scared"

If you avoid areas that are within ten minutes or so of those areas, then 90% of Limerick is not fine. Given how small Limerick is.:)

But to the poster who said they were being put off moving to Limerick. If you have a job here or nearby, then there are plenty of decent places to live, especially on the outskirts.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Looking at that article though, is it the parents fault? Surely if you can't control a 12 year old there is something wrong. Being un-pc, just give the fella a good slapping.

You can't. Sur' if Dot in Eastenders cannot even smack the child without being arrested then what hope does anybody else have?

I grew up with a threat of a wodden spoon, soap in the mouth or a smack across the back of the legs.

The scumbags are as young as 8 these days. I lived in Carew Park. The only time they were not scumbags was when they reached around 16 and were on their own.

Anytime they moved in packs, 99% of the time, they were trouble.

And to the parents saying the place in a sh*thole. WHO THE HELL DO THEY THINK MADE IT THAT WAY?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭manna452121

Since this so called regeneration started alot of the scumbags have been moved to other areas.I have a family that were moved 2 months ago to my area/Caherdavin and the guards are at the house every weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Berty wrote: »
    You can't. Sur' if Dot in Eastenders cannot even smack the child without being arrested then what hope does anybody else have?

I grew up with a threat of a wodden spoon, soap in the mouth or a smack across the back of the legs.

The scumbags are as young as 8 these days. I lived in Carew Park. The only time they were not scumbags was when they reached around 16 and were on their own.

And to the parents saying the place in a sh*thole. WHO THE HELL DO THEY THINK MADE IT THAT WAY?

Thats because the majority of them would start crying like a little bitch if they got a quick dig in the head off anyone, multiply macho bull**** by 6 or 7 youngfellas and its always trouble, none of them would have the balls to say anything to anyone on their own, its always for the benefit of showing off in front of their equally braindead friends, stand up to any of them and all you get is the "I'll get my faaaather and bruuuthers after youuuu" Its the little ****ers who are about 12 who know nobody will do anything to them as they're just gets who are worse, at least if it came to it you could defend yourself against a guy in his 20s or whatever.
    knowing this country some scobey flea ridden kid could be sitting on your chest knifing you in the face and if you so much as hit them back you'd be the one up in court as he's only a socially maladjusted kitten your honour, never said a bad word to anyone until society forced him to start causing sh1t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Yeah, I firmly believe that a few slaps is fine if needed. My brother and I used to get a slap growing up anytime we deserved it. We even got thumps in school (and that was well after the banning of corporal punishment in school, we're only 26 and 22 respectively).

But I guess we grew up in a very country area where the vast majority of people have a strong sense of law and order. If we were even half the scumbags that some of these kids were, our parents would be absolutley mortified and 'kill' us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

There is nowhere in Limerick called "The Hyde Road".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 petitepois

But from what I can see and those I know personally, the vast majority of 15-40 year olds I know and know of from Southill are not fine, not even close. From my own personal experience, if anything, the majority, male and female that i know, within that age group are scobes of the highest order and I would not feel comfortable in their company. And I am no shrinking violet.

You obviously haven't had the opportunity to get to know any people from these areas if you are too afraid to even be in their company. Now I know well that there are plenty of scobes in those areas but there is definitely a majority of perfectly civilised and nice people. I personally know them, have spent time with them and their families and can give an educated opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Ah yeah there is, Hyde Road is up by Roxboro.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

Yeah, I'm in Limerick for all my 40 odd years, the Hyde Road does exist.....I've been on it. Hired a suit from up there once.

wingnut wrote: »
    Ah yeah there is, Hyde Road is up by Roxboro.
    acalmenvoy wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm in Limerick for all my 40 odd years, the Hyde Road does exist.....I've been on it. Hired a suit from up there once.

I think you both missed Mr Pedantic Pat.

He meant there is no "The Hyde Road" but there is a "Hyde Road".

I think you both missed Mr Pedantic Pat.

He meant there is no "The Hyde Road" but there is a "Hyde Road".

correct, near "the roxboro" and "the greenfields".

Maybe we should start using the definite article for all nouns The Berty.

Being from Hyde Road myself it is a bit of a long standing sore subject. Reminds me of people calling the Condell Road the new road or the new bridge................

correct, near "the roxboro" and "the greenfields".

Maybe we should start using the definite article for all nouns The Berty.

Being from Hyde Road myself it is a bit of a long standing sore subject. Reminds me of people calling the Condell Road the new road or the new bridge................

Don't you mean Roxborough? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭PeteSanchez

Berty I might be wrong, but i think the City Roxboro, is just that Roxboro. Roxborough is a seperate area about 5 miles outside town :confused:

Berty I might be wrong, but i think the City Roxboro, is just that Roxboro. Roxborough is a seperate area about 5 miles outside town :confused:

Used to be on my voting card so I assume Roxborough is correct.

Google earth also appears to be the other way around. Roxboro is outside the city and Roxborough is coming up by the Maldron.

Used to be on my voting card so I assume Roxborough is correct.

Google earth also appears to be the other way around. Roxboro is outside the city and Roxborough is coming up by the Maldron.

I think roxboro stems from the roxborough road and the area before Fedamore

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

I spend a lot of time around Roxboro.
    (not the garda station before anyone gets smart!:p)
    Sorry Berty, the "burrough" is outside of town.

Roxboro Road is in the city

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭neo2010

The road is called Hyde Road, not the Hyde Road. Don't know where ''the'' came from.:pac:

• Advertisement

neo2010 wrote: »
    The road is called Hyde Road, not the Hyde Road. Don't know where ''the'' came from.:pac:

maybe some French visitors? don't know but I hate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭neo2010

I know it's probably a cliche by now to say that most of the people are decent but they really are.

I know it can be intimidating going through these estates with people eying you up and so forth but imagine how it must feel to actually live there every day.

The reason you only see skum when you travel around these estates is because the good, hard working and honest law-abiding people are out making a hard earned wage for themselves unlike the leeches who grab as much payments off the government in the form of dole and disability benefits and stand around all day giving dirty looks to ''outsiders''.

Also, a lot of people now have no choice to avail of unemployment benefits and they have every right to but I'm talking about the skum who never worked a day in their lives and don't plan on doing so anytime soon. Too busy standing around street corners harassing normal people.

neo2010 wrote: »
    I know it's probably a cliche by now to say that most of the people are decent but they really are.

I know it can be intimidating going through these estates with people eying you up and so forth but imagine how it must feel to actually live there every day.

The reason you only see skum when you travel around these estates is because the good, hard working and honest law-abiding people are out making a hard earned wage for themselves unlike the leeches who grab as much payments off the government in the form of dole and disability benefits and stand around all day giving dirty looks to ''outsiders''.

Also, a lot of people now have no choice to avail of unemployment benefits and they have every right to but I'm talking about the skum who never worked a day in their lives and don't plan on doing so anytime soon. Too busy standing around street corners harassing normal people.
    its not only outsiders they scorn but at anyone who makes an effort - to work, to drive a normal car, to act responsibly by only having kids you can afford or to even take a holiday - I speak with first-hand experience of this as I grew up in Hyde Road and my house was ransacked by these thugs while on holidays. I don't live there anymore and fear having to go there to visit family. I can certainly see why outsiders dislike/distrust people from council estates but again “they’re not all like that”

Advertisement