Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thoughts on new Ireland jersey...

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Fink Goddie

Looks grand to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Roaster wrote: »

A cheap rip off of what...?

I think its quite nice actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Jordonvito

it goes well with our team, nothing to exciting but does the job. i like the idea of hooped socks aswell, retro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Sponsor logo = always fail

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

It's not bad. Nicer than the last few. Agree with stovelid though, forced to buy it with logo is not right.

• Advertisement

Don't really like that stripe either.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

Eirebear wrote: »
    A cheap rip off of what...?

I think its quite nice actually.

When I say rip-off, what I actually meant was that it looks like a counterfeit jersey you buy for one of the kids when you're away on holidays.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I quite like it, reminds me on the new Rugby jersey actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

• New Anthem jacket: as with the kit, no detail has been over looked and small touches like the ribbed collar and cuffs and the use of the gold Eire embroidery on the back neck, ensures that the Irish team will be ready for anything.

Huh!!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Still the only country in Europe where you can't buy the national jersey without a hideous corporate logo plastered across it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

reminds me on the new Rugby jersey actually.

+1, very similair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I like it, sponsorship is annoying but what can ya do, its being like that for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

I'll tell you when they release some pictures that are bigger than a stamp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,048 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Still has the Eircom logo on it so I still won't be buying it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

http://soccerrepublic.eircom.net/strip-reveal/

lol at the URL :D

Check out that vid - Louis Copeland measuring the guys up. Ya know when they get in the dressing room it will be 'Small, medium, or large?'

I quite like the kit though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Jesus - I think it's great looking!

Love the socks too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

I dont like it.

Then again I havent liked any Ireland jerseys in about 8 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Love the socks too!

You would! :D

I really like it. The "Eire" on the back of the neck is a nice touch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Hooped socks: worn by Irish teams through the 50's and 60's including legends such as Johnny Giles. It is believed that the hooped sock makes it harder for defenders to read what attackers are about to do.

Yeah 'cos it certainly worked very well for us in the 50's and 60's. :pac:

Overall I quite like it. As has been said already the only downside is that disgraceful logo which tarnishes each shirt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Why is it the shirt is sold with a logo ?

If it is just about sponsorship then how come other countries dont do it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

The retro look is cool.

redout wrote: »
    Why is it the shirt is sold with a logo ?

If it is just about sponsorship then how come other countries dont do it ?

Eircom + FAI = Fail tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Overall I quite like it. As has been said already the only downside is that disgraceful logo which tarnishes each shirt.

Agreed - the shirt is a nice idea spoiled by two rotten elements competing for attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,048 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Eircom + FAI = Fail tbh

Can't blame Eircom on this. The precedent was set with Opel so Eircom just insisted on the same.

The blame squarely lies with the FAI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

No return of the black and orange one from the mid 90s (I think) then? :) Could have been an away kit. Not this one either. From what I remember, it was mostly black!

Can't blame Eircom on this. The precedent was set with Opel so Eircom just insisted on the same.

The blame squarely lies with the FAI.

Eircom + FAI = Fail.

;) j/k

Well Eircom's logo is decidedly horrific in fairness, and WAY too large. The Opel logo actually didn't look too bad, as it didn't have too much going on in it.

The flattened face-hugger above the name is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

People wouldn't have a big problem with the logo if it was a true replica shirt. That's the issue. It isn't the same as the team shirt and it's why I haven't ever bought one. I suppose at least the white logo is not as garishly obvious as the orange one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,599 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Think its the nicest jersey we've had for a while, like that shade of green and as KerranJast said above the eircom sign looks better all white instead of with the orange on it. Also like the way the socks have hoops.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Miles better than the current offering, the lack of orange on the eircom logo is a real plus too, although it's continued presence on the replica is always a real downer...

Umbro always seem to do a 'retro kit' every now and again (i.e. minminal design). Reminds me of this one but without the collar, only hopefully the material will be a lot less naff. Long may they continue to do this anyway, they always end up my favourite shirts for some odd reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Simply Red

I really like it, obviously it'd be far nicer without the eircom logo but its not the worst now that its all white

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭villains77

i think the jersey is lovely but the jacket looks a bit cheap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

stovelid wrote: »
    Sponsor logo = always fail
    This x 1billion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I really like it.

I said in September i love what Umbro did with City and England's jerseys and i hoped they would do the whole "Tailored by Umbro" thing. So glad they did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭1967

Have to say i like it and cant remember the last time i said that about an Ireland strip as has been said pity about the logo, but its a shirt i will actually consider buying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I don't mind it, but won't be buying it because V necks without a collar just don't suit me.

But I do like the design although I kinda miss a small bit of orange. I like the gold around the crest and the Eire at the back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

villains77 wrote: »
    i think the jersey is lovely but the jacket looks a bit cheap
    I like the jacket but it needs a big sponsor logo on it ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,427 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

i like it.. nice and simple

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Lovely jersey, best Ireland shirt since the old Adidas days. Umbro have really really upped their games in the last few years with their new retro offerings (Man City, Santos etc), probably not a coincidence that they've got nicer since Nike bought them over. Happy to see they've went for a gold trim instead of orange and have an all-white eircom logo. Could be the first Ireland jersey I've bought in years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Roaster wrote: »

Green again???

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

If anyone is blind like me. Here's a bigger picture.

I was just thinking there, if counterfeiters just made the kits without the logo, they would make a fortune.

ireland-2010-umbro-home-kit-2.jpg

ireland-2010-umbro-home-kit.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

Never bought the national team jersey, and won't be changing that, but I think it looks very nice indeed. Probably the best one within my memory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Horrible effort from Umbro considering the quality of the City and England shirts. Looks crap imo. Won't be buying it with a sponsor as per usual. The socks are a skangers wet dream. Keep an eye out for cotton bottoms tucked into them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

The first one that I have liked in a long long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

as long as the "anthem jacket" is eircom free i'll get it. might even get the jerse. 1st ireland jersey since italia 90 if i do :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

Can't you get them without the sponsor?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

bw wrote: »
    Can't you get them without the sponsor?
    No and it's a farce. Personally I'd have no problem paying an extra 20 or 30 quid for a sponsorless shirt. That would require brains on the part of the FAI to set up though. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

What's the story with the lack of orange btw?

Political statement? :pac:

It's OK but it kinda looks like those shirts that scoredraw and the like knock out. OK for a retro shirt, but not great for the real thing.

Pity because some of the Umbro wear (that Rovers sell for example) is actually pretty nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

KerranJast wrote: »
    No and it's a farce. Personally I'd have no problem paying an extra 20 or 30 quid for a sponsorless shirt. That would require brains on the part of the FAI to set up though. :rolleyes:

I doubt there's enough people who care about the sponsor that much that would cancel out how much the FAI would lose if they cancelled the Eircom sponsor. Still though, I agree it really shouldn't have a sponsor, and if anything, having a sponsor should subsidise the cost of the jersey to the fans.

• Advertisement
Advertisement