Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bantry, Kinsale or Sneem? few days away...advice please

Options
  • 15-02-2010 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

We are planning a supervalue break next week and can't decide where is best to go. We would like to take nice walks, enjoy nice pubs with maybe some trad music if possible. Any tips??? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Out of the three I would go for Kinsale. Sneem can be very quiet at this time of the year, a night in Bantry would be enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

DEF go for Kinsale, I'd also recommend a meal in Fishy Fish, food is superb!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Rahc

Definitely Kinsale - try the Blue Haven Bar for food and music, always good

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Sneem - only because it's in Kerry ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,486 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

sneem is very quiet at moment, was there last weekend. I would actually pick Kenmare if I were you, leisure centre, mad town etc. Kinsale is grand if you like the touristy feel, Bantry would be fairly dead this time of year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Longboard

Kinsale is probably the best of the 3.

Killarney would be better. Lake Hotel is a great spot if you can get a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Longboard wrote: »
    Lake Hotel is a great spot if you can get a bargain.

The Lake Hotel is beautiful, and serves excellent food. But I'm not too sure that it's open at present - it was badly flooded at some stage before x-mas.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Longboard

dh0661 wrote: »
    The Lake Hotel is beautiful, and serves excellent food. But I'm not too sure that it's open at present - it was badly flooded at some stage before x-mas.

They have reopened lately. We were down on the 5th feb for the first night and in sneem for the second (dead). We were kicking ourselves that we didn't spend the second night in the lake hotel. I think they are only open at weekends at the moment. Friendliest hotel staff I've ever come across.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Markie_c

I'd go for Kinsale. Has everything you are looking for as listed above.. Also has lots of old chuches, castles, streets etc... - It's one of the 15 Heritage Towns in Ireland.

Bantry and Sneem will be very quiet this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Kinsale without a doubt.

Bantry is a bit of a dump and overrated.

Sneem is a one horse town with nothing worth mentioning there. Plus roads are terrible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭donglen

Definitely Kinsale this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Would base myself in Bantry if I had a car , as the other places are tourist traps and charge accordingly.

You can see most of Kerry and West Cork, with spending all day in the car.

Advertisement