Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ghibli Sightings Thread.....

Options
  • 15-02-2010 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭

Just watched the new trailer for Toy Story 3 and at 48 seconds in, when they are looking at a computer screen, you can see Totoro prominently in the background. Thought it might be interesting to post other Ghibli sightings in other movies/TV/media.

Another one I noticed (and put up on IMDB) was in Tokyo Mater. At the end of the short when Mater and the rest are celebrating in the crossroads, if you look up to the top left of the screen as the camera pulls back, you can see a car with Catbus markings from Totoro again.

Also, in Lost. In one of the episodes where we find out some of Jin's background. It's the episode where he's searching for a toy for his boss for his new baby or something. He's in a toy shop, taking down a toy and there's a Totoro in the background. I mean, it's not a reference, there just happens to be a Totoro there I suppose.

And (a bit tenuous this maybe but it's what popped into my head when I was watching it) in the underrated Lilo And Stitch. When Stitch crash lands on Earth. He's standing at the road and it starts to rain. Watching him from the side of the road is a frog. It just reminded me of the waiting-for-the-bus scene.... again in Totoro. Again, maybe grasping a little but as soon as I saw that frog I thought of that scene)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Totoro in South Park.

Imaginationland12.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,417 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The main character in (crazy addictive) PS3 game Critter Crunch always reminds me of Totoro.
    I'd say more flattery than anything though: http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/2/25199/972985-critter_crunch_super.jpg

Totoro made an appearance in that Imaginationland episode of South Park too I think? Wiki says there is a Totoro reference in Sandman volume 7 though - only on part 2 so will have to get back to you on that!

I'd say it would be much harder to find a non-Totoro Ghibli reference (although they surely exist).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Totoro in South Park.

Imaginationland12.jpg

Oh yeah, forgot about that. He gets a right hammering too. Hah. Poor totoro

Edit: Ah, found a pic of the trailer online:
    105244.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I'd say it would be much harder to find a non-Totoro Ghibli reference (although they surely exist).

Yeah, Totoro is easily the most recognisable Ghibli Character. You even see a quick glimpse of him in Takahata's Pom Poko.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Arcade Panda

Pazu from Castle in the Sky can be seen briefly running past one of the portal doors in Howls Moving Castle.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Pazu from Castle in the Sky can be seen briefly running past one of the portal doors in Howls Moving Castle.

Never noticed that til just now! Nice find

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Arcade Panda

In Whisper of the Heart the grandfather clock that is being repaired at the antique shop has Porco Rosso written on the face. Also when Shizuku is looking for a book in the library one of the books on the shelf has Totoro written on the spine!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

In Whisper of the Heart the grandfather clock that is being repaired at the antique shop has Porco Rosso written on the face. Also when Shizuku is looking for a book in the library one of the books on the shelf has Totoro written on the spine!

Oh yeah, forgot about the clock in Whisper. Didn't notice the book though. Well spotted.

Just wondering if there are many more references outside of Ghibli itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 paulB2010

:P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,417 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Saw 5cm Per Second yesterday, and smiled when I saw a Catbus sticker / magnet on the protagonists computer monitor in one scene.

• Advertisement
Advertisement