Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Updates from the Hidden History of UCD blog

Options
  • 15-02-2010 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

I've been focusing on a new blog called Come Here To Me with two friends but I've been able to put up a few little pieces on Hidden History of UCD.

- In 1955, a group of UCD students occupied Nelson’s pillar and tried to melt the statue with homemade “flame throwers”.

- In 1962, Anthony Clare wrote a article for the T.C.D. Miscellany about the censorship regime in UCD at that time.

- In the early 1970s, an Oz like radical paper was published in Belfield called Instead.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭GA361

You didn't hide them very well, you've linked them all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

theres a secret canteen Microwave apparently now :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

me@ucd wrote: »
    theres a secret canteen Microwave apparently now :rolleyes:

Whats with the rolleyes

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭1968

Another update.

Bread and Roses was a Women’s Lib. fanzine published by women in Belfield in the mid 1970s. It was a crudely designed, black and white, 15 page stapled zine.

Issue Two can be read here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

A bit harsh there Betafrog. I think its a fairly interesting blog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

I agree, the blogs great, keep up the good work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

It's a pretty damn good blog. I liked the article on Nelson's pillar, some balls of the students to try and melt the statue with flame throwers and Anthony Clare's article about censorship, it's a pity you don't see this kind of thing anymore (and I mean that in sincerity).

betafrog wrote: »
    This is you

nerd.jpg

This is everybody else

yawn-380x540.jpg

Cool story bro.

It may come as a huge shock to you but I'm not updating the blog for the benefit or interest of you or any other Boards.ie poster. Nor am I making any profit from the blog, financial or otherwise.

As a student of history and someone with an interest in archiving, I feel it's important that we try to collate and collect as much as we can on the social (and radical) history of this college. If we don't do it, no one else will.

For example, no copies of the 1970s UCD fanzine Bread and Roses (which I've just uploaded) are held in the UCD or National Library. The only copies left are gathering dust in people's attics and garages around the city. If we don't locate and scan items like these up now, they'll literally be lost forever and I, for one, would think that would be a terrible loss.

Hi all,

Managed to get around to updating the blog a little bit:

- In 1930, The Irish Times mentioned that in the grounds of Belfied there is a memorial called the Twelve Apostles Well. We reckon it's buried pretty much dead centre under the dual carriageway, opposite the Montrose Hotel.

- A video from 1930s/1940s showing a group of UCD students dress up as the Ku Klux Klan for Rag Week.

- An advertisement for the 1978 Belfield Fringe Festival. (The Stiff Little Fingers played amongst others)

- Audio from John Cooper Clarke's gig in the UCD canteen in 1981.

- Great collection of pictures and newspaper clippings from the UCD Agricultural Society.

- A 1988 article in the Sunday World about the current state of the UCD student bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Just entered to win £100 there, fingers crossed

• Advertisement
Advertisement