Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible scam - "New Eircom"

Options
  • 15-02-2010 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭

Hey, I'm not sure if this is the best place to post, so apologies if it's not.

I just thought I'd share a call a family member had from "New Eircom". They claimed that they were Eircom and offering new packages. However they then asked for prices on old bills. This raised suspicion and it was pointed out to this "New Eircom" that as they are Eircom they should know. They were also asking if my family member had a security number. It was around this point that the phone was put down.

Also whenever my family member asked a question they could hear another person in the background talking to the person on the other end of the phone - almost as if they were answering for her.

We looked at the caller id and the number was withheld so my family member rang Eircom to report it. They hadn't heard of it and thought it was suspicious and are going to look into it.

Just take care to when answering questions from any representatives on the phone as you can't see any id.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Sounds like someone was was trying to get commission from switching you to another phone company...

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭emanresu

There is a phone company called "Newtel".
    I used to get calls from them a few years ago.

Advertisement