Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What PC games should I get?

Options
  • 15-02-2010 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭

Hi
    Ive just upgraded to a new computer and for the first time in 4 years, I can play the latest games. So what have I missed out on, what would people consider the best game of the last 3 or 4 years?

I like RPGs, strategy games and FPS.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

www.gamerankings.com PC top 100

them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Oh come on, you're really recommending that the OP get the Sims? :p

Dragon Age: Origins and Borderlands are the two I played most recently. Took me a while to get into them, but one I did I really enjoyed them although they aren't without flaws.

Oh and I really hope you have played Left 4 Dead 1 & 2 and the Orange box already. Essential if you haven't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

I like RPGs, strategy games and FPS.
    these!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Heroes of Newerth, Stalker, fallout 3, bioshock, dragon age, medieval total war 2 & Quakelive (Battlefield, CoD and CS are for n00bs im afraid :) )

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Get your self The Orange Box for starters.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Pappy o' daniel

THanks for the suggestions
    I have the orange box on PS3 and ive ordered Dragons age.

I really liked Rome TW, should I get medieval 2 or Empire?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭talla10

Championship manager or Football Manager if your into football most addictive games ever created....Rome is a good strategy game as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Id say get Medi2 as its pretty similar gameplay wise to Rome. A friend of mine got Empire and didnt really like it. The melee combat isnt as important as you have alot of rifle type units so alot of the thrill is gone apparently.

On top of other games that have been suggested Id say get Elder Scrolls Oblivion. On new hardware it will still look great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

talla10 wrote: »
    Championship manager or Football Manager if your into football most addictive games ever created

He'd not have needed an upgrade for them :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    He'd not have needed an upgrade for them :D

Aye, if your PC can run Excel, then it should be able to handle those "games" (what a coincidence!:p)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Medieval 2 is fantastic fun. Empire is total pants, I hated it. This is coming from someone who has loved the series ever since he read the original Shogun Total War preview article back in the day.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

company of heros
    masseffect 1 and 2
    brothers in arms hells highway
    farcry 2
    fallout 3
    anno 1404

If I think of anything else I'll post it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

I second the world in conflict and stalker recommendations.

But mostly I'd recommend Machinarium and World of Goo, even though neither would even nearly stress your new PC, because they're the ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Team Fortress! :d

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Would also recommend Battlefield 2, you dont need a super computer for it just a good connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Meirleach

Would also recommend Battlefield 2, you dont need a super computer for it just a good connection.
    No proper widescreen support though, which is a bit bleah when playing with a nice big monitor.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Meirleach wrote: »
    No proper widescreen support though, which is a bit bleah when playing with a nice big monitor.
    You could always try this.
    http://www.widescreengaming.net/wiki/Battlefield_2 (fantastic site for older games btw)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

I'm a TW addict! Get Empire, It's more of a change, but still keeps everything that made the series great. You'll be required to learn new tactics for muskets/rifles and naval combat. Although the latter becomes near impossible to control once you go above ~6 ships.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Another mention fromm me for World in Conflict,fantastic action RTS, great multiplayer.

Id also suggest for single player

Borderlands
    Fallout3
    Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2
    Bioshock and Bioshock 2
    Half Life2

Multiplayer

BF2 and BF Vietnam
    COD4
    Day of defeat source
    Team Fortress2
    World in Conflict as mentioned above
    Red Orchestra if you want a realisitc multiplayer first person shooter
    Id also suggest world of warcraft if your into MMOs
    and www.iracing.com for the best racing sim ever created on any format.

Seriously for pc the list is endless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Waiting for Splinter Cell: Conviction, wantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwant

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Pappy o' daniel

When people say Stalker, is that the new one or the old one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

Bioshock 2 perhaps?

Great thread btw!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,462 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

When people say Stalker, is that the new one or the old one?

the original with mods added

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Making It Bad

Crysis is great too! People who tell you it's all graphics and no gameplay probably haven't played it, so don't listen to them. You can get the 'maximum edition' which includes Crysis and the standalone expansion Crysis: Warhead for around €25.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Crysis is great too! People who tell you it's all graphics and no gameplay probably haven't played it, so don't listen to them. You can get the 'maximum edition' which includes Crysis and the standalone expansion Crysis: Warhead for around €25.

I wouldn't say great, but worth a play if you have time to kill.

Also, cheaper here. Got mine from these guys and have had no trouble.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

I wouldn't say great, but worth a play if you have time to kill.

Also, cheaper here. Got mine from these guys and have had no trouble.

Agree with that althought I would probably say very good but not great myself and Warhead is probably the more more fun of the two.

I must also add that until the OP has attempted to play the original Crysis at max settings then he has't really stretched the new rig fully yet. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 83,303 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Definitely Get Orange Box.

Its older, but I'd hit up Warcraft 3 and then check out WoW for the Strategy and RPG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

That's nonsense... I played it up until the final boss battle.
    Really couldn't be arsed playing for another five minutes to see how the piss weak "story" progressed, and ever since the
    aliens arrived
    the gameplay had been well below average.
    Worth a look to demo a new pc with some shiny eye candy, but there are far superior games out there...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Making It Bad

tman wrote: »
    That's nonsense... I played it up until the final boss battle.
    Really couldn't be arsed playing for another five minutes to see how the piss weak "story" progressed, and ever since the
    aliens arrived
    the gameplay had been well below average.
    Worth a look to demo a new pc with some shiny eye candy, but there are far superior games out there...

I did say probably! There will be people who dislike any game, no game can appeal to everyone. I was more talking about Warhead, Crysis was worth playing but Warhead was where it was really at.

Advertisement