Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax Implication of Renting Your Own House

Options
  • 15-02-2010 5:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Hi,

I am looking for advice on the tax implications of renting my own house that I own to someone and then renting another house for myself. Do I get taxed on the income from the rental from my own house or can I write one off against the other ?? Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

This would be best posted in the taxation forum. this forum is a helpdesk for boards.ie related issues.

You can find the taxation forum under the Biz Category or follow this link here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1208

Out of curiosity, how did you come to post in thsi section of boards.ie? Did you follow a link from somewhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 WDVladB

Hi, thanks for the reply. I posted in this section as I spent ages going aroudn the site looking for an option to post. I was just about to give up and then saw the New Thread button. Maybe it is just me but I have never come across a less user friendly site.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Hrm, best thing to do is click that 'New Thread' button when you are on the forum of your choice and click it. Here's a better explanation:
    Darragh wrote: »
    It's one of the most commonly asked questions we get via email to Boards.ie so I'm hoping this helps the people who need to know.

To start a new thread, look to the top left of the screen under the Boards.ie logo and the menu bar that reads "User CP", FAQ", "Community" etc. You should see it there.

As in the image below.

start%20new%20thread.jpg

Don't forget too about our FAQ section.

I hope that helps!

Darragh

Thanks Darragh, that helps alot. I am convinced that New Thread button wasn't there earlier though, maybe I am just losing it . . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Not at all, it's not the most user friendly system, but once you get how it works you'll find it really useful.

Can I ask, what were you expecting to do, how as a new user of this website would you expect to create a discussion on this website to discuss your tax implication topic? I'm trying to understand this site from your perspective, and maybe we can make things a bit easier for the next person with your input.

Were you expecting to find a New Thread button, and just couldn't see it? Were you expecting another type of button maybe? Sorry to ask, but it's something I've been curious for a while now. Do you think a NEW THREAD button in a more standout colour is a better idea and you would have seen it easier? Or should it be bigger to be more obvious? Any feedback appreciated.

• Advertisement

Hi Gordon,

I just tried registering under a different Username and e-mail to go through the process again to see where I went wrong the first time.

Basically, when I first went to your site, I did so in order to create a new thread as quickly as possible. What I expected to see was a button on the main home page of the site after I set up my account. When I could not find this, I got frustrated and although I did go to Biz - Taxation, I did not see the New thread button as it did not stand out enough to me or I may have thought that it related to what was already posted below.

I should have seen it but maybe because I am so used to other sites that are so poor from a user friendly perspective, I did not give it a chance. After looking through your site more, I appreciate that it is very good. However, a New Thread button that really stands out in a different colour in the same position on every page would be very good in my opinion. I think I am right in saying that when any new user comes to use the site, their first desired action is to post a new thread. Thereafter, they get in to replying to others.

If you look at Ben Dunne's site, www.tenderme.ie, it to me is one of the best most straight forward sites in existence. Although I am not a huge fan of Ben, this site certainly works for me. It is very difficult to go wrong it is so straight forward. People go to this site to post a tender and the first thing that jumps out at you is the button to do this.

Hope this helps . . . .

Advertisement