Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

music technology - how many places are on the course

Options
  • 15-02-2010 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭

i applied for music technology in my cao but i cant seem to find info bout the amount of places that are on the course its not on the website or in the handbook anyone here doin the course that could help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,864 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

40 I think, well we were just shy of 40 when we started...allocated between CAO applicants and mature students. We have more than 10 mature students so that makes the demand higher for the CAO applicants.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

tanks

f0ggy92 wrote: »
    tanks

Good luck with the LC. :D

You'll be lucky coz they are revising the course and getting rid of some outdated module so it's going to be a lot better by the time you start!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

is it a good course its the only thing i applied i have to be involved with music somehow its the only thing ive ever had any interest in

It's a good course if you aren't focusing on just wanting to be a sound engineer but a technician, engineer and a composer, or at least competent in reading scores.

You do a lot of electronics, you learn music theory and in second year you learn how to make websites and lucky for you, they are scrapping (so they say) the most PAINFUL module you'll ever come across in Data Communications! I'll be going into third year in September and it will have a new layout, I can only imagine for the better.

Only problem is it's solely Pro - Tools based, which is a complete bollix! Would love to work with Logic 9 to see what it's like.

They are getting it together up there now!

Just research it a bit to make sure it really is for you. We thought the Sound and Light module in first year would be to do with stage work like live sound and lighting. Nope, it's basically physics from Leaving Cert.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

You haven't done C-Sounds in third year with Donagh yet. I'm not in music tech but from what I've heard that module is akin to scraping your own eyes out with a fork.

It could be worse though, ye could just be using all Logic and no Pro Tools. And in truth, if you know one DAW you will pick up others fairly handily.

And a word to the wise for those prospective students; do NOT rob any of the gear when you start. Because as a result of people lifting things from Block 15 and breaking things through their own ignorance the place is pretty much in lockdown. Same goes for anyone who might be thinking of Video & Sound. It ****s the rest of us over something shocking.

At least it'll be optional to do C-Sound next year, I know what module I definitely won't be taking anyway.

Kudos on the bit about robbing gear. It's ridiculous, about 10 Handheld recorders stolen since the beginning of the year and only 2 or 3 SM57's left too. It's so hard to get projects done because of some thick planks...

mars bar wrote: »
    At least it'll be optional to do C-Sound next year, I know what module I definitely won't be taking anyway.

Kudos on the bit about robbing gear. It's ridiculous, about 10 Handheld recorders stolen since the beginning of the year and only 2 or 3 SM57's left too. It's so hard to get projects done because of some thick planks...

And there's not 10 H4s gone missing is there? I have one out for the last month or two. I'm doing an audio doc for my FYP though and need it most weeks and can't run the risk of their not being one there when I go to get it. My card is with the store guy though.

Some tit robbed an i-lok from studio C though and realised it was no good to them and left it in one of the Avid suites, where I found it.

I've seen a floppy haired looking twat around the place who clearly has robbed a pair of headphones from the midi lab and walks around the place with them.

And don't get me started on the availability of cameras.

H4's are what I meant, couldn't think of the name of them! Marie does a foley project with the first years and she was trying to get those h4's back for it, she got very very few back.

Is that a first year you're on about? They could be his own. I have my own set of Sennheisers, the same ones as in the edit suites.

That was pretty bad about the iLok but at least it was returned, but I'm still wary of Studio C since it happened, it tried to kill my project the day before I hand to hand it up!

I'm not sure. I can't discern between first and second years anymore apart from the few I know personally!

• Advertisement

Richy06 wrote: »
    I'm not sure. I can't discern between first and second years anymore apart from the few I know personally!

Hah! I know about 4 first years to see and that's it...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭GTE

Hey there
    Any other insights into the course? Im applying to the second year from the Ballyfermot Music Production course and im wondering what everyone thinks.

Could someone give some comment on the various modules?
    Also, do you learn the program or the process? What I mean is are you learning how to use pro tools or are you learning how to mix a song etc. regardless of the DAW? Could I get away with using Cubase 5 for mixing at home or does it have to be all Pro Tools based?

I only got into Cubase, Logic and Reason despite having Pro Tools in the college. I wouldnt want to have to ditch them.

Thanks all
    bbk

You learn the basics of Pro - Tools, but you are also thought to mix. Much more focus on mixing than just figuring out pro - tools! I'm doing two different mixing projects for different modules at the moment. I could start writing about it but I could be here all night and from what I hear, there are quite a few differences between first year last year and first year this year.

We don't use anything else but Pro - Tools in the college but some of the lads use Cubase at home and then they just import what ever they have recorded into Pro - Tools.

Advertisement