Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelling a phone/broadband package.

• 15-02-2010 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hey guys!

My flatmate and I are looking around for new broadband deals because we're currently with Smart and they don't provide a great service to us.

If we cancel we're probably liable to pay out the remainder of the contract, ~6 months.

Is it possible to cancel a contract and not pay the cancellation fee or whatever that is based on the fact that you're not getting the service you're paying for?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,329 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Better of in the broadband forum and you'll need to give more detailed information then that. In general though short of no service at all for months with multiple complaints over several months registered with the helpdesk your chances are slim.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 That Dave Fella

Oh didn't realise there was a specific Broadband forum. Thanks for the headsup and yeh I thought my chances were slim, just wanted to see if there was any precedent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Is it possible to cancel a contract and not pay the cancellation fee or whatever that is based on the fact that you're not getting the service you're paying for?

If you have recorded evidence of complaints and failure to resolve the issue, then yes. If however, this is the first time that you are raising the issue, then you're unlikely to get out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

dudara wrote: »
    If you have recorded evidence of complaints and failure to resolve the issue, then yes. If however, this is the first time that you are raising the issue, then you're unlikely to get out of it.

Agreed. If the service is THAT bad, I would ring them every day complaining. Looking for updates on a fix etc.

If you can show that you were contacting them over a longish timeframe with no resolution, they should let you go.

Happened to me with UPC Chorus, just after UPC took them over but before the re branding but during the network upgrade. Their service turned to ****e. I was getting dial up speeds on a daily basis for nearly a month. After being onto them nearly every day complaining, but giving them time to fix the issue, I requested to be let go.

They said themselves that they wouldn't fight it.

What service are you getting? If it's just that you are ONLY getting 90% of the advertised max speed, you don't stand a chance. if you are getting 5% of advertised max speed, then you have a very good chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 That Dave Fella

We have the 7mb package but only get around 512kb if we're lucky and from about 5pm till Midnight you can just about browse the internet due to the huge amount of contention on the lines.

My flatmate has been onto them plenty and we'll keep it up. Thanks for the info guys.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

keep notes and times dates etc of the phone calls and also use speedtest.net/ to measure your speeds and keep a record of the results for sending to them to strengthen your case.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

foggy_lad wrote: »
    keep notes and times dates etc of the phone calls and also use speedtest.net/ to measure your speeds and keep a record of the results for sending to them to strengthen your case.

Thing is if he troubleshoots the issue and Smart resolve any speed issues that may exist then he's stuck in contract :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

We have the 7mb package but only get around 512kb if we're lucky and from about 5pm till Midnight you can just about browse the internet due to the huge amount of contention on the lines.

My flatmate has been onto them plenty and we'll keep it up. Thanks for the info guys.

Definitely try their forum if you haven't already, they're usually pretty helpful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

RangeR wrote: »
    Agreed. If the service is THAT bad, I would ring them every day complaining. Looking for updates on a fix etc.

If you can show that you were contacting them over a longish timeframe with no resolution, they should let you go.

Happened to me with UPC Chorus, just after UPC took them over but before the re branding but during the network upgrade. Their service turned to ****e. I was getting dial up speeds on a daily basis for nearly a month. After being onto them nearly every day complaining, but giving them time to fix the issue, I requested to be let go.

They said themselves that they wouldn't fight it.

What service are you getting? If it's just that you are ONLY getting 90% of the advertised max speed, you don't stand a chance. if you are getting 5% of advertised max speed, then you have a very good chance.

So consistent nagging works? could you explain how you complained every day-by phone/email/post?
    I take it you had some sort of evidence/proof?

Advertisement