Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CorribCharts.com goes live! - Digital charts for Lough Corrib

Options
  • 15-02-2010 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

Thought i'd stick this in here as it'll get most views!

CorribCharts.com has finally gone live. At long last, a digital map of Lough Corrib compatable with many GPS units, including the Garmin NUVI which is a very popular GPS for the road (So no need to buy an expensive marine GPS!)

We are making great progress and are now in the process of replacing the old BA (unreliable) soundings with brand spanking new 2010 soundings of the whole lake - Understandably this will take a lot of time, but we'll get there.

In the meantime take a look at the site and screenshots and let us know what you think. We will upload many high res screenshots for people to get a good understanding of the lake (which will be a lot better on paper than anything currently available)

Keep an eye on the website as it will be updated almost daily, or as often as we're out on the water collecting data

www.corribcharts.com

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I'm being redirected to http://ifastnet.com/notify/2.php

edit: never mind, now it's working. might be something to keep an eye out for though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Now get all that data integrated with OpenStreetMap :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I'm being redirected to http://ifastnet.com/notify/2.php

edit: never mind, now it's working. might be something to keep an eye out for though.

This was happening earlier too, hopefully just a once off. If it happens again i'll move hosting providers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

CorribCharts was created as a free-use project and the creators have absolutily no commercial interet.

Fair play! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

JohnCleary wrote: »
    CorribCharts.com goes live

Up two places from last weeks number four its Warty Nora with "Gold digger".
    But straight in, it's this week number one.... Sheamus the Knacker dwarf with "The Climb"

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

Excellent, would it work with the i phone GPS

Now get all that data integrated with OpenStreetMap :D
    No streets on the lake
    foto joe wrote: »
    Fair play! ;)
    mikom wrote: »
    Up two places from last weeks number four its Warty Nora with "Gold digger".
    But straight in, it's this week number one.... Sheamus the Knacker dwarf with "The Climb"
    :pac:
    Bosco boy wrote: »
    Excellent, would it work with the i phone GPS
    Anything's possible with enough spare time. What mapping software does it use?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Originally Posted by http://www.corribcharts.com/
    CorribCharts was created as a free-use project and the creators have absolutily no commercial interet.
    Damn hippies :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

Pics or gtfo...

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Well done JC, charts look good, and fair play for not charging boat users. Email sent, have a Garmin Nuvi myself that I might bring out fishing now... you're welcome to a brew from the Kelly kettle anytime ;)

• Advertisement

Damn hippies :D
    That can be sorted out quickly by setting up a LTD company (for liability, so if anyone sues they can only sue what's made from the company) and charge a silly price for the product. But ya know what, we're not cnuts ;)
    Pics or gtfo...

:D
    Plenty of pics on the site :p
    Zzippy wrote: »
    Well done JC, charts look good, and fair play for not charging boat users. Email sent, have a Garmin Nuvi myself that I might bring out fishing now... you're welcome to a brew from the Kelly kettle anytime ;)
    And replied to! NUVI is actually one of the easiest GPS's to install the maps on, no need for extra software

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭unJustMary

Congrats ...

I love the bit about "Garmin NUVI (Yes, that's right, CorribCharts will work on your car GPS!)". You might need to add a bit about how you can't guarantee how well the car will work once it's in the lake, though!

unJustMary wrote: »
    Congrats ...

I love the bit about "Garmin NUVI (Yes, that's right, CorribCharts will work on your car GPS!)". You might need to add a bit about how you can't guarantee how well the car will work once it's in the lake, though!

Hey, we just made the map, not the car ;)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

unJustMary wrote: »
    Congrats ...

As a villain who's been working on a Doomsday device, JohnCleary is familiar with amphibious cars...

James-Bond-Lotus-Esprit-12871.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭thedesigntribe

Cheers John, I go kayaking on Lough Corrib a few times every summer.... Rabbit Island for dinner anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Cheers John, I go kayaking on Lough Corrib a few times every summer.... Rabbit Island for dinner anyone?

Boards barbecue on the lake??? :D

Zzippy wrote: »
    Boards barbecue on the lake??? :D

I'll be the one floating :D

CorribCharts now available on Google Earth!

Visit www.corribcharts.com and choose "Online view of CorribCharts" - There's both Maps/Earth versions available

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭mchammer

Can I just say that this is a fantastic resource and fair play to the guys who put this together. I just see on the website that they are not distributing any copies of the charts until the next release 1.17? Only thing is I'm hoping to do a kayaking trip in the next week or so over a few day from Maam down the lake and if I was able to use the charts on my Garmin Nuvi 550 it would be great and probably save me a lot of time navigating.
    Anyways if anyone has access to the older 1.16 for the Nuvi could you pm me?
    Thanks
    MC

mchammer wrote: »
    Can I just say that this is a fantastic resource and fair play to the guys who put this together. I just see on the website that they are not distributing any copies of the charts until the next release 1.17? Only thing is I'm hoping to do a kayaking trip in the next week or so over a few day from Maam down the lake and if I was able to use the charts on my Garmin Nuvi 550 it would be great and probably save me a lot of time navigating.
    Anyways if anyone has access to the older 1.16 for the Nuvi could you pm me?
    Thanks
    MC

Distribution of 1.16 has ceased.
    Anyone who gives you a copy will be breaking the terms of the User Agreement.

You're kayacking, not trying to navigate on a ship, there's no navigating to do, just follow the water.

The website will clearly state when 1.17 is available.

This was a whole lot of effort to put together, have some respect for the wishes of the creators

-Edit- Scrap what I said above, 1.16 won't work with the Nuvi anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭mchammer

Apologies John, I appreciate the great work and effort that you have put into this and no disrepect whatsoever was intended...

best of luck developing this resource into the future
    MC

• Registered Users Posts: 42 christg

Fair play to ya on redoing the maps of the Corrib, The only one that I was ever able to purchase was created in the 1800's (I assume that the water level would have changed since then).

For flooding reasons, I would love to see a real time water level (datum) on several places on the Corrib, plus also what positions the gates are in on the Salmon wier. I know this doesn't really have anything to do with navigation - but I assume the water levels change seasonally, and if you had a boat with a large draft - some places wouldn't be navigable during parts of the year.

christg wrote: »
    Fair play to ya on redoing the maps of the Corrib, The only one that I was ever able to purchase was created in the 1800's (I assume that the water level would have changed since then).

For flooding reasons, I would love to see a real time water level (datum) on several places on the Corrib, plus also what positions the gates are in on the Salmon wier. I know this doesn't really have anything to do with navigation - but I assume the water levels change seasonally, and if you had a boat with a large draft - some places wouldn't be navigable during parts of the year.

1846 to be precise! The water levels have dropped about 2ft since those maps were created.

Yes, the water does vary a lot from time to time on the Corrib.

There are several water-level gauges (Fisheries/OPW) on the Corrib. The one that determines how many gates are to be opened at the Salmon Wier is located at Annaghdown

PS. Look at CorribCharts website, looks like they might be accepting requests again ;)

We are delighted to announce that a full-size paper chart of Lough Corrib based on the CorribCharts project is now available to purchase online! You can purchase using the following link: http://www.corribcharts.com/purchase_wall-chart.html

Ever wanted to know how CorribCharts is made?

We are putting together an on-going tutorial as to how a chart like this is made.

You can follow progress here: http://www.corribcharts.com/charting.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

John.

Just out of interest, are you involved in the waterway/marine environment in a professional way.

I ask because I myself am a sailor,blackrock swimmer and Marine science student myself, and read many of your posts with interest.

Hope you don't think of me being to nosy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Found this quite interesting even though I'll never have need to use it personally.

The enormity of the project has just hit me now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Interesting project John, will keep an eye on the tutorials.

Starting into a project myself that'll be putting GPS positions around Galway onto Google maps, interesting bit about the Google map error... hope that doesn't present a nuisance for me soon!

foto joe wrote: »
    Interesting project John, will keep an eye on the tutorials.

Starting into a project myself that'll be putting GPS positions around Galway onto Google maps, interesting bit about the Google map error... hope that doesn't present a nuisance for me soon!

Well if you are presented with the issue, you now know how to over-come it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Ever wanted to know how CorribCharts is made?

We are putting together an on-going tutorial as to how a chart like this is made.

You can follow progress here: http://www.corribcharts.com/charting.html

so thats your tag...........Ralf;-)

Advertisement