Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

AC Milan v Manchester United

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Confused as hell, but anyway. Any win from tonight was a decent so ill take it even though the performance was **** for all but 20 minutes.

Rooney the difference.

Even with the advantage a much better performance needed in three weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Ronaldinho MOTM for me, he was brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Dave! wrote: »
    Oh goody, TV3 will be discussing "the private lives of professional footballers" later on (shows headlines about Ashley Cole)

Great stuff :rolleyes:

If ya told me in the first half that United would win that match, I would have laughed in your face

We really need to get the defence in order, absolutely ridiculous, horrendous

It's like the United of old. You can score 2 but we'll just score 3 and win, so there :p At least nobody can accuse Fergie of playing conservatively in Europe tonight :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Oh goody, TV3 will be discussing "the private lives of professional footballers" later on (shows headlines about Ashley Cole)

Great stuff :rolleyes:

If ya told me in the first half that United would win that match, I would have laughed in your face

We really need to get the defence in order, absolutely ridiculous, horrendous

The sooner Vidic is back the better - that nerve problem in his leg had left United fans with nerves about the back four!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Both teams were shocking defensively, United need Vidic back Evans was awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

What did Carrick actually do? Sky sports don't even know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,595 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Considering just how poor United were away from home in Europe during the early part of the 2000's creating an undefeated record away from home in the CL tonight is a very fukking good achievement

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Rafael was brutal for that Seedorf flick. Looks like Carrick sent off for booting the ball away, 2nd yellow? Was very confused for a while there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Personally I think Milan are a bit of a shambles. Ronaldinho is good going forward but will never be found in his own half. Their midfield is missing, their defense is fragile and their keepr just looks stupid with that thing around his neck! Never mind the fact that he was flapping like a fish out of water for Utd's goal.

As good as Milan are going forward they're equally as bad in defense so if Utd sort themselves out the should be able to beat them or at least take a draw to Old Trafford.

My halftime analysis was almost vindicated. If it wasn't for Rafael trying to walk the ball out of defense instead of hoofing it, thereby leaving space for Ronaldinho to get the ball and set up Milan's second goal, Utd would have a lovely lead going into the second leg.

It's lapses in concentration like that that eliminate you from the Champions League. I though the second half was a true reflection of both teams. Milan are nothing special and United really need to sort out their defense. Second leg should be a formalility if Utd play well. But three away goals or not I would have preferred a two goal lead over a one goal lead.

• Advertisement

Nemanja91 wrote: »
    What did Carrick actually do? Sky sports don't even know!

He kicked the ball away after Evra fouled Pato.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Milan need Zambrotta and Oddo back, badly!

We need for Leo to drop dida and give Abbiati a run of games to get him ready for the away trip.

We need Boriello to start with Pato and Ronaldinho playing more centrally behind him.

Mostly we need Dida to fall down a hole and to sign a proper striker though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Really believe this tie is over.

Milan threw away a golden opportunity.

If we score at old trafford then Milan automatically need three.

Even if we dont score which is unlikely they need to beat us at least two nil at old trafford.

I honest to god cant see either of them scenarios coming to fruition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭lisbon_lions

Good result for United that. Valencia for Nani was the real change in United's fortune, got loads more down the right and set up the first for Rooney with a lovely cross. Thats all Rooney needs is decent ball...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

Seaneh wrote: »
    Milan need Zambrotta and Oddo back, badly!

We need for Leo to drop dida and give Abbiati a run of games to get him ready for the away trip.

We need Boriello to start with Pato and Ronaldinho playing more centrally behind him.

Mostly we need Dida to fall down a hole and to sign a proper striker though.

Am I the only person who likes Dida.

LOL @ Rooney 'Some people not doing their job right' More like ALL people not doing their job right.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

wow, rooney is pissed off with Nani, see the skysports interview "some people not doing their job right"

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Liam O wrote: »
    LOL @ Rooney 'Some people not doing their job right' More like ALL people not doing their job right.

No. Just Nani.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Exciting game, but only because the football was so awful.

United were shocking. If it wasn't for Rooney, the Valencia cameo and the brief moment that Fletcher decided to play, the performances were poor. Rooney though is simply amazing this season, it really is between him and Messi at this moment for best player in the world.

For Milan to concede 3 goals at home is a complete disaster. The wing-back situation needs to be looked at ASAP. As great as a player as Beckham has been, he's not a Champions League player anymore. Pirlo still has ability, but his ratio of bad performances these days far outweighs his good ones.

As for Ronaldinho? I've said it at all season, but what a waste of space is that man. For some reason people only see the one or two nice touches he has in each game, but completely forget the fact that Milan are essentially playing with 10 men for 85 minutes in the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I was wrong about Raf, he let me down big tonight, showing he just isnt ready for this stage yet. but that is eclipsed by Johnny Evans tonight, here's me thinking I would be happy to see him starting games in the big competitions but he was found out tonight, really showed inexperience and just no leadership.

Carrick also disappoints me greatly, brutal first half but 2nd half was better but this lad isnt good enough to be a starter in our midfield but we are stuck with him. Park was his old self all work but nothing in the final third. . Right here is the biggest disappointing performer for me tonight and that was nani, the lad was brutal.

3 highlights for me was Valenica,Rooney and VDS. they were superb I thought

Playing our best CM on the left is unforgivable for me, I really cant get saf's logic behind that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

I'd give rooney and van der sar 8/10. 5's and 6's for the rest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Milan were very good in over the first 60 or so mins. How many oppurtunities did they have?

Seedorf pulling a goal back means that Milan have a chance but I reckon United will go through.

Was rooney not talking about the ref? It followed it by talking about his booking which he got for mouthing off.

No. Just Nani.

right yeah :rolleyes: Not Rio, Scholes, Evans, Rafael and Carrick. Just Nani who set up the goal. Riiiight :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,564 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

L5 wrote: »
    wow, rooney is pissed off with Nani, see the skysports interview "some people not doing their job right"

Reminder to Self: Never watch football on TV3 again.
    Commentary out of sync.....poor presenter....no analysis, just ads and competitions! Terrible! Should have watched it in Sky.

As for the game, poor quality defending but was very exciting. Should be a great 2nd leg!

Headshot wrote: »
    I was wrong about Raf, he let me down big tonight, showing he just isnt ready for this stage yet. but that is eclipsed by Johnny Evans tonight, here's me thinking I would be happy to see him starting games in the big competitions but he was found out tonight, really showed inexperience and just no leadership.

Never mind Vidic and whatever is current problem is, I really think John O'Shea is a huge loss this season. He could have played instead of either of those two and I think he's become very reliable in the last year. I think Raf just doesn't have the proper defensive mentalitly to be a good defender and Evans always looks nervous when the ball is coming towards him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

As for Ronaldinho? I've said it at all season, but what a waste of space is that man. For some reason people only see the one or two nice touches he has in each game, but completely forget the fact that Milan are essentially playing with 10 men for 85 minutes in the game.

Jesus that's a bit harsh....he ran the show for the first 45 minuted IMO!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Walsh

mike65 wrote: »
    I can see a red card getting flashed at some point.

Good Call.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

He is a great shot stoper/instinct keeper but he is so bad at everything else and he has no ****ing brain, he has won us a lot of games with great saves over the year but all too often he ****s up and makes a balls out of a simple cross and that's just not good enough for a club like Milan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

cascar****inrino

• Advertisement

I'd give rooney and van der sar 8/10. 5's and 6's for the rest

Pretty much what the sky sports ratings are reflecting. I'd agree with you too. http://www.skysports.com/football/user_ratings/0,19768,11065_3227576,00.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

Carrick was crap as usual not a loss to us. Valencia was superb when he came on. Ronaldinho was brilliant. Always hearing hes not half as good as he was, no legs etc, he was unreal, magician!
    Rooney for world player of the year. Hes been immense.

Never mind Vidic and whatever is current problem is, I really think John O'Shea is a huge loss this season. He could have played instead of either of those two and I think he's become very reliable in the last year. I think Raf just doesn't have the proper defensive mentalitly to be a good defender and Evans always looks nervous when the ball is coming towards him.

you have to remember the lad is only 19 and has been very good this season for us, just tonights game was to much for him

Just saw the Carrick thing on Sky and that is absolute bollocks tbh

Fergie looks livid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Cracking game. Can't wait for the second leg. Funny the way the game panned out. AC should have scored at least three in the second half. Wayne Rooney is the best striker in the world right now. I can see him being the hero in the second leg.

Headshot wrote: »
    you have to remember the lad is only 19 and has been very good this season for us, just tonights game was to much for him

I know he's young. But I really don't see natural defensive quality in him. He's good going forward and could make a good wing back. But I'd always worry about his positioning and tackling.

I will gladly eat my words if he does improve significantly as I would love to see him do well.

right yeah :rolleyes: Not Rio, Scholes, Evans, Rafael and Carrick. Just Nani who set up the goal. Riiiight :rolleyes:

Nani was the only one that played so bad that it was worthy of a comment on TV. And did you really have to use that smiley twice?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

If the experienced england captain is looking nervous and making mistakes, how can young players be singled out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Ah, I was waiting for TV3 to show some interviews

Very naive of me :)

• Advertisement

Nani was the only one that played so bad that it was worthy of a comment on TV. And did you really have to use that smiley twice?

what comment was this? 'Some people not doing their job'. Could mean anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Boss just said we made a catalogue of mistakes in the first half.

Never a truer word!

redout wrote: »
    Boss just said we made a catalogue of mistakes in the first half.

Never a truer word!

He looked and sounded so angry about Milan's second goal

what comment was this? 'Some people not doing their job'. Could mean anything.

He was referring to Nani. This is obvious. And you know it.

I imagine Nani has a big confidence problem. When Ronaldo was there he was naturally compared to him, especially when they were both new signings. Whereas Ronaldo became the player he is, Nani just didn't improve, possibly because of always being in Ronaldo's shadow. You get the feeling that SAF hasn't too much faith in him. Rooney has no time for him seemingly. The lad obviously has skill and he has shown it a few times this season. But he looks terrified to make a mistake, which ironically causes him to make plenty of them, then gets subbed off every game.

Deep down I don't think he has the quality to be absolute top class but I wonder if, with a bit of man management, he could at least become a reliable winger. If SAF really has no time for him then just sell him and get a replacement he actually likes.

I thought it was the ref myself

that's why he got a yellow for, mouthing off to the ref

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Could have been Park....did he deliver any ball at all tonight!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

Ah, I was waiting for TV3 to show some interviews

Very naive of me :)

And miss out on even a second of Cascarino's cutting incisiveness?

Cascarino really is the arch typical twat you don't know from Adam who just starts talking crap when you're in a pub trying to watch a match. A real pompous nitwit who offers nothing in the way of insight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I know Nani didn't have a great game, but Rooney is out of line if that comment was directed at Nani. There were a handful of occasions where Nani played a great ball for Rooney to run onto only for Rooney to check his run at the last minute. Really unfair to single Nani out tbh.

He didn't. The follow up question was did you let your feelings be known.

He said yes but after the booking I learnt my lesson.

He was talking about the ref.

Of course it was at nani...all through the match he was furious at Nani and we could see that. When he was asked about being frustrated he almost said it...and then probably thought to himself...ah they know what im thinking so i may as well just say it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement