Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

AC Milan v Manchester United

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

m@cc@ wrote: »
    That's it, you show him what it is to be grown up.

Yeah, I'll give you that one. Can't believe I resorted to that smiley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Absolutely delighted with that result and the tie is pretty much over IMO. What struck me though, is that it was pretty much exactly the opposite as this stage last year, against Inter at the San Siro:D In that game United totally outplayed Inter but never got the reward and it finished 0-0. Tonight though, outplayed for many parts of the game and lucky to get the win! Just an observation! :)

BTW, the results made those pancakes go down a lot better! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Tie is over, can't see Milan outscoring United at OT.

United found an extra gear when it mattered tonight, and just took their foot off the gas a little too early.

Dinho flattered to deceive, couple of flicks and tricks in the first ten minutes, but really nothing after. United contained them, and opened up in the second half to devastating effect.

Fletcher was MOM by a mile, he ran the midfield all night, and got two assists, one from either side. As complete a performance as you are likely to see from any player in the last 16 of the CL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Rooney and Fletcher were amazing in the 2nd half. They were absolutely the difference, Rooney is a beast at the moment, keep him fit and United win matches... Simple as. Enjoyable game too, amazing to see how badly A.C capitulated though, they absolutely massacred the Utd midfield for the first 45 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

The most important thing after the game I think is to see how Nani bounces back. Can he keep his belief up?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

eZe^ wrote: »
    they absolutely massacred the Utd midfield for the first 45 minutes.
    I disagree completely with that.

I think there wasn't much difference between the midfields in the first half, and they pretty much cancelled each other out. The difference in the first half was that the Milan forward three had a lot of joy against the United defence, and United in the last third hadn't a clue. The fact that the Milan forwards made more of their posession in the first half made it look like their midfield was playing better than United's, that's all.

Looking back on it, it would seem to have been Ferguson's game plan. Let Milan do their thing for the first half, get them tired and then unshackle the United midfield, allow them to express themselves a bit more. Certainly Fletcher seemed to have less responsibility defensively in the second half, and got forward a lot more. The timing of the Valencia sub was absolutely perfect, and United went on the rampage after that.

The second Milan goal was down to complacency, Brown should have been brought on about ten minutes earlier than he was.

Still though, the tie is over, united are in the quarters, no doubt about it, I think they played in third gear in the first half, and moved up through fourth and fifth for about twenty minutes in the middle of the second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

miralize wrote: »
    The most important thing after the game I think is to see how Nani bounces back. Can he keep his belief up?

We he wont be playing for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Des wrote: »
    Looking back on it, it would seem to have been Ferguson's game plan. Let Milan do their thing for the first half, get them tired and then unshackle the United midfield, allow them to express themselves a bit more. Certainly Fletcher seemed to have less responsibility defensively in the second half, and got forward a lot more. The timing of the Valencia sub was absolutely perfect, and United went on the rampage after that.

Fair point on the cancellation, but I think it was down to Ronaldinho dropping into midfield where he picked up the ball, and then distributing it nicely to Pato and co. His distribution and dead ball skills are pretty much the only things that haven't severely deteriorated down the years.

Also, I definitely disagree that they were Ferguson's tactics. That would literally be suicide, because during that first half it wouldn't have been out of the question for Milan to be 3 or 4 goals up before Scholes got on the score sheet. I really doubt that one of the greatest managers in the game tactically took a risk that big just to tire aging Milan legs. They were just overawed by Milan's intensity, and Ferguson rightly fixed that in the dressing room at half time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Thank God for a rub of the green. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,599 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Thought that was the most entertaining match I've watched in a long time. United got off the hook many times though, but these things happen I guess and I would be very surprised to see Milan progress now. Was shocked at the amount of mistakes in the game to be honest, Milan really could have had another 2 or 3 goals tonight, but still fair play to Utd who despite a shocking first half came out and played the better stuff for the majority of the second half.

On individual performances, Rooney took both of his goals really well but was left neglected with acres of space for both, he didnt seem very happy with Nani tonight either! Ferdinand and Evans looked incredibly shaky tonight, maybe down to Rios lack of games and Evans inexperience but if I was a Utd fan tonight would not have felt safe with the way they were performing. Milans midfield I thought worked very well in the first half and at times they played some very tidy football, Ronaldinho - well there was glimpses of him tonight that show he is still a class act, makes things look ridiculously easy sometimes. Pato impressed me but thought he tried to take too much on a bit too often, Seedorf showed a lot of class when he came on, its unfortunate that he probably hasn't got the legs to last a full game anymore. And as for Dida, as Andy Gray said this guy is a disaster waiting to happen - sooner Milan get rid of him the better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Any news on Antonini?

If he can't play the second leg, and he seemed to be in a lot of pain, then Valencia could have a field day against Favalli in the return leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

How about Evans? I've never seen Ferguson so aggresively disgusted with a player of his own before. I was fearing for his safety at half time! If Beckham got a boot in the head, Evans might have been forced to eat one of his.:D

Great result. Had draw double for Utd and City but I couldn't be happier about losing money.

Great result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Any gifs of Fergie hurling abuse at Evans?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Dave! wrote: »

Can't wait to see some.

I tell you, I was scared when I saw Fergusons face. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

What happened with Evans?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

miralize wrote: »
    What happened with Evans?

Well, he wasn't playing good enough. Shocking defending, not marking people. Ferguson, as red as a tomato, was screaming in his face. Hair dryer treatment on the pitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Liam O wrote: »
    As far as I'm concerned Nani got an assist in a big game. Yes he made plenty of mistakes but most of his crosses were into good areas it's just the players seemed to be reluctant to take chances in the box and were afraid to commit players forward for a lot of the game. Pretty much the only time someone from midfield got into the box to support Rooney it was Scholes and Nani found him and he scored. Go figure :rolleyes:
    Nani very poor last night. Improvement in second half from United but overall Milan were wasteful in second half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

lol at people saying rooney was talking about the ref! He was asked was it frustrating dealing wit scraps, said he didn't wanna say-proded again about it and said some people just weren't doing their jobs. He was clearly talking about Nani. And the media is reporting it as such this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Mr Alan wrote: »
    lol at people saying rooney was talking about the ref! He was asked was it frustrating dealing wit scraps, said he didn't wanna say-proded again about it and said some people just weren't doing their jobs. He was clearly talking about Nani. And the media is reporting it as such this morning.
    Did you see the interview?

Interviewer: was it frustrating feeding of scraps in the first half (or some thing to that effect)
    Rooney: No not at all

That's all I need to hear tbh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

He wasn't prodded twice for **** sake.

Were you frustrated living off scarps?

No not really, it was more some people weren't doing there jobs, I don't really wanna talk about it.

Did you let your feelings be known?
    Yes off course, but after I got the yellow card I learned my lesson.

I don't care what the media are reporting Alan, because anything I have read they have left out the second question, which is the ****ing important one and trying to make some story out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

He wasn't prodded twice for **** sake.

Were you frustrated living off scarps?

No not really, it was more some people weren't doing there jobs, I don't really wanna talk about it.

Did you let your feelings be known?
    Yes off course, but after I got the yellow card I learned my lesson.

I don't care what the media are reporting Alan, because anything I have read they have left out the second question, which is the ****ing important one and trying to make some story out of it.

so he got a yellow card for moaning at Nani? terrible reffing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Al, did you even see the bloody interview?

Interviewer: "Were you getting a bit frustrated in the first half because you seemed to only have scraps to feed on?"
    Rooney: "No, it was probably more with the...I]laughs[/I...a lot of things really, I dont really want to say but some....some....some people werent doing their job right."
    Interviewer: "Did you let your feelings be known?"
    Rooney: "Yeah of course, you know, everyone gets frustrated now and again but, got the booking and learned from it and went on and managed to help us win the game."

Its painfully bloody obvious that Rooney was talking about the ref. They just got a fantastic result, Wayne got 2 goals, he's not gonna start bitching in a post match interview about his team mate. He says he wasnt frustrated on having scraps to feed on, but that he was frustrated at other things. If he was pissed at Nani, he would have said he was frustrated about the scraps. He says "it was probably more with the......" and laughs, knowing that if he says ref he'll get reprimanded. The fact that he says "some people werent doing their job" is pretty evident that its the ref he's talking about. He then says he let his feelings be known, and got a booking for it. Do you think the ref booked him for being annoyed at Nani? Come off it. For someone who hates the Sun, you sure would make a good journalist there. You have the main criteria nailed anyway, that is, making up pure and utter shite. As usual, opposition fans trying to take the gloss of a fantastic result for United in Europe again. As usual, they have failed. Try harder next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

top post - you said what we were all thinking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Dave! wrote: »

It looked very much like "wake F*cking up F*Ck sakE!! wake up!!"

something along those lines :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

excellent win.

saw it late last night.

Fletcher was incredible, and that's not exaggerating. his energy just killed Milan; absolutely killed them.

Rooney has become extremely clinical, and it's made him a frightening player.

Milan may as well forget about it now.

it's sad to see Ronaldinho such a shadow of his former self; it really is. neat flicks aside, he's just so meh.

archi, i ain't trying to gloss over the result at all. Watching it last night wit my united supporting brother and aul fella, both of whom had it down as a dig at nani. I'll watch it again tonight, maybe i'm wrong. However to cry about everyone is trying to ruin uniteds big evening, is laughable.

SlickRic wrote: »
    excellent win.

saw it late last night.

Fletcher was incredible, and that's not exaggerating. his energy just killed Milan; absolutely killed them.

Rooney has become extremely clinical, and it's made him a frightening player.

Milan may as well forget about it now.

it's sad to see Ronaldinho such a shadow of his former self; it really is. neat flicks aside, he's just so meh.

those flicks can be very dangerous.

Honestly, while he is on the pitch, anything can still happen. I think United should be going through now - we should not lose at home to Milan - you never know what might happen.

The United midfield is going to be weaker in the home leg, giggs probably out with injury and carrick now suspended - it certainly don't think it will be an easy game. We'll need our defence the cop on too as really Milan could easly have had 4 other goals (Ronaldinho in the first half, Huntelaar in the first half, Inzaghi in the second and Nesta at the death).

The tie is not over now, United have to concentrate and insure they get the job done.

archi, i ain't trying to gloss over the result at all. Watching it last night wit my united supporting brother and aul fella, both of whom had it down as a dig at nani. I'll watch it again tonight, maybe i'm wrong. However to cry about everyone is trying to ruin uniteds big evening, is laughable.

oh, well if you bro and da think it was a dig at Nani, when the entire context of what he said would indicate it was not, then obviously it was a dig at Nani.

Clearly Rooney was booked for moaning at Nani, cause that happens loads in football, players are booked for having a go at their team mates.

i agree that the tie ain't over yet. ac showed last night that people who were writing them off as a nothing team before the game were idiots, they should have put the tie to bed in the first half, but constantly created enough chances throughout the game to think they can win away. Its advantage united, but it ago't over

• Advertisement

Archimedez wrote: »
    As usual, opposition fans trying to take the gloss of a fantastic result for United in Europe again. As usual, they have failed. Try harder

fact was Milan were wasteful in front of goal in first half. United did well in second half but Milan's defending for second goal was awful. And there was one challenge by Rooney on Milan player (pretty sure he made contact with his head with his boot) that should have merited a greater sanction. If you were honest Archi you would admit it wasn't United's best display. more down to Milan's ineptitude in front of goal and poor defending after the break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

fact was Milan were wasteful in front of goal in first half. United did well in second half but Milan's defending for second goal was awful. And there was one challenge by Rooney on Milan player (pretty sure he made contact with his head with his boot) that should have merited a greater sanction. If you were honest Archi you would admit it wasn't United's best display. more down to Milan's ineptitude in front of goal and poor defending after the break.
    I don't think he said it was there best display but beating Milan at the San Siro is a great result for any team

LOL.

I love how Milan create chances and it is cause they were great going forward but wastefull. United create chances they score from and it is woefull defending from Milan.

Terrible defending from United for the first goal - terrible 'clearance' from Evra followed by a lucky deflection to give them their first goal. Terrible defending from United for the second goal. Terrible defending from United for the Huntelaar chance and Inzaghi's chance.

United were terrible in defence last night, as were Milan. Both teams were bad, yet you only point to Milans bad defending helping United.

As for the Rooney incident - accidental imo. He did make contact, but I don't think he ment to do so.

I don't think he said it was there best display but beating Milan at the San Siro is a great result for any team
    It was great result for them. Not denying that. But think United will come up against a stronger team. Was disappointed with Milan tbh.

It was great result for them. Not denying that. But think United will come up against a stronger team. Was disappointed with Milan tbh.

And Milan should have come up against a stronger team too.

You paint it like United only won cause Milan were cack. United underperformed themselves last night - our defence and midfield can, and have, perform a lot better than we showed last night, especially in the first half.

The tie is not over now, United have to concentrate and insure they get the job done.

needless to say, you're right about this.

but if i was a Utd fan, i'd be devastated to lose at this stage. it should not happen, and i think i can honestly say it will not happen.

if kept apart, i can see a Barca/United final again.

people are writing off utd in this competition. i don't see it. they still open up with the best of them, and as long as you can do that, you always have a huge chance.

this is not a kneejerk reaction to a convincing away performance. i hope it is, and they fail miserably in the next round :p but i don't think it's the case. they seem like they're in that all too familiar mood they get into around this time of year. i've endured over 15 years of it!

keep Rooney fit, and to a slightly lesser extent Fletcher, and Utd can't be written off in any shape or form.

• Advertisement

What on earth are you talking about? I have said nothing about the match itself in this thread, Ive only spoken about Rooney's interview. So would you kindly point out where I have said that it was United's best perormance? The only comments Ive made on United's performance were in the United thread last night:
    My thoughts on tonight...

While Im pretty sure there's not a United fan out there who wouldnt have bitten your hand off if you had offered us a 3-2 win tonight - especially after 3 minutes - that Seedorf goal has me feeling slightly frustrated. Lets make one thing absolutely clear - Milan are a joke compared to the team who rightfully trounced us at the San Siro 3 years ago. The first half belonged to them not because they earned it, but because we bloody handed it to them. Our defence - Johnny Evans in particular - was all over the place, Scholes was giving possession away all over the shop, and Nani reverted back to pre-January Nani. The only thing Milan had in their favour was the crowd, which was terrifying at the start (and later on when they got their second). I know agreeing with Andy Gray is a cardinal sin in here, but he was spot on in his crucifying of Milan's tactic of giving Ronaldinho and Pato a free pass on the defensive side of things. I'd add Huntelaar to that list, but luckily for us he must have been suspended or injured tonight, because he certainly wasn't on the bloody field - I got 3 texts from non-United supporting mates berating him during the game. As for Ronaldinho, I got a good old chuckle going through the match thread a few moments ago seeing people say he was "owning" us - he was pathetic. Has no hunger for the game anymore, and you can take whatever party tricks you want and put them in a flashy youtube video - I wouldn't want him within a million miles of our club, let alone our starting XI. Pato looked threatening at times, but if Milan plan to use him how the same way they use Ronaldinho, then they are ruining a huge talent. Back to us though, Fergie must have torn shreds out of the team at half time because he obviously realised Milan were there for the taking and that we were showing them too much respect in the first half. In the second half we actually got the ball down and played rather than relying on a Nani cross to pick out Rooney. Valencia made a huge difference - so refreshing to see a winger who can beat his man, and I'd say Ferguson was planning to bring him on as soon as he saw a 38 year old Favalli enter the game. As for Wayne Rooney, Im sorry, but you can keep your Eto'o, Torres, Drogba, Villa and Ibrahimovic's, because theres not another striker in world football that Id rather over Wayne Rooney. And Darren Fletcher, take another bow, because once again he's delivered on the big stage. I have no reservations when I say he is our most important player after Rooney - and that includes Ferdiand, Vidic, Evra, Giggs et al. Honourable mentions to Van Der Sar, Evra and even Rafael, who despite being at fault for the second goal, had the right mentality in not letting the reputation of the opposition get to you, which he summed up each and every time he clattered into Ronaldinho - winning the ball more often than not.

Fantasic match, and desite a 3-2 win in the San Siro, we can still afford to feel hard done by, but its our own fault. But f*ck it, I'll still celebrate.

So yeah, I clearly did say that it wasnt United's best performance. Duh! And as for your rambling on about Rooney's challege, Ill be the first to admit that Rooney has a bit of a mean streak in him, and when I see him chasing a player after losing possession, my first thought is "This is gonna be a yellow/red card" but I know what incident you are talking about last night and there was absolutely zero intention in it, it was purely accidental. Go look at it again before you comment further.

SlickRic wrote: »
    needless to say, you're right about this.

but if i was a Utd fan, i'd be devastated to lose at this stage. it should not happen, and i think i can honestly say it will not happen.

if kept apart, i can see a Barca/United final again.

people are writing off utd in this competition. i don't see it. they still open up with the best of them, and as long as you can do that, you always have a huge chance.

this is not a kneejerk reaction to a convincing away performance. i hope it is, and they fail miserably in the next round :p but i don't think it's the case. they seem like they're in that all too familiar mood they get into around this time of year. i've endured over 15 years of it!

keep Rooney fit, and to a slightly lesser extent Fletcher, and Utd can't be written off in any shape or form.
    i dread to think what Barcelona would do to our defence this year, considering we were a lot better in that area last season!

And Milan should have come up against a stronger team too.

You paint it like United only won cause Milan were cack. United underperformed themselves last night - our defence and midfield can, and have, perform a lot better than we showed last night, especially in the first half.
    What Im saying is if an in form Barcelona or Chelsea had been handed the chances Milan were in first half the tie might have been over. If United want to be seen as serious contenders for Champions league they need to sort a few things out. Wouldnt start Nani in second leg for a start.

i dread to think what Barcelona would do to our defence this year, considering we were a lot better in that area last season!

I think Evans was just overawed and he will learn from it. Should get Vidic back for the next 4 or 5 games hopefully and can play Brown at RB or even just have a consistent back 4

i won't go too far down this road, as it's a bit off-topic obviously...

but the the key to barca is the early goal.

if you get that. it gets interesting. they get it, good luck to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

And there was one challenge by Rooney on Milan player (pretty sure he made contact with his head with his boot) that should have merited a greater sanction.

Clutching at straws now!

The right back slide to clear a ball in front of him and Rooney was trying to hurdle him to avoid contact, unfortunately for Wayne he's not the lightest:p

I know what incident you are talking about last night and there was absolutely zero intention in it, it was purely accidental. Go look at it again before you comment further.

For the second time in as many weeks we have posters going on about intent. Intent doesn't come into it. Kuyt received a very nasty challenge on the ground when an Everton player was chasing ball awhile back. Forget about the intent. If the challenge is dangerous thats what counts

What Im saying is if an in form Barcelona or Chelsea had been handed the chances Milan were in first half the tie might have been over. If United want to be seen as serious contenders for Champions league they need to sort a few things out. Wouldnt start Nani in second leg for a start.

It would be foolish to expect United to defend like that again though. We are missing Vidic and O'Shea, Evans had his worst performance in a United shirt, and Ferdinand wasnt as reliable as he usually is (his clearances, particulra headed clearances were shocking last night). Up against Barcelona or Chelsea, chances are we wouldn't defend like that again. Look at us against Chelsea earlier in the season at Stamford Bridge - we defended absolutely brilliantly and the game plan would have worked if it were not for a dodgy free kick.

For the second time in as many weeks we have posters going on about intent. Intent doesn't come into it. Kuyt received a very nasty challenge on the ground when an Everton player was chasing ball awhile back. Forget about the intent. If the challenge is dangerous thats what counts

Rooney didnt make a bloody challenge, the the Milan right back did. What are you talking about?

Rooney didnt make a bloody challenge, the the Milan right back did. What are you talking about?
    Yes but Rooney still made contact afterwards. Someone else texted me last night to say Rooney was lucky to stay on pitch. And he didn't need prompting. Yeah he took his goals well but as was mentioned earlier on in this thread he has his dark side.

Yes but Rooney still made contact afterwards. Someone else texted me last night to say Rooney was lucky to stay on pitch. And he didn't need prompting. Yeah he took his goals well but as was mentioned earlier on in this thread he has his dark side.

"someone else", well then it must have been a red card!! Seriously.

Rooney tried to avoid the guy, but couldn't. It was accidental. These things happen, it is a freaking contact sport.

I'd be appalled if players starting getting reds for not quite managing to hurdle challenges and accidently catching people. It would be a freaking joke.

yeah it's like the first Arsenal game this season when he 'dived'. He should have done a double pirouette backflip to avoid all contact.

Liam O wrote: »
    yeah it's like the first Arsenal game this season when he 'dived'. He should have done a double pirouette backflip to avoid all contact.

No. Rooney should have stood still and let the Milan player clatter into him, that would have been the correct thing to do. Apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

Someone !! Stop embarassign yourself - you are wrong get over it and stop trying to dig yoursefl out - the hole is just getting deeper

Yeah he took his goals well but as was mentioned earlier on in this thread he has his dark side.

No wonder the force is so strong in him.... Darth Rooney?

darthrooney.png

• Advertisement
Advertisement