Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

AC Milan v Manchester United

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Going to be a tough one IMO,I still remember the hammering we took at the San Siro in 2008 and I believe they still have a strong team, Pato can turn a game, he is great on and off the ball and has great pace, Beckham from deadballs although I do believe we can get at their midfield on the break, Ronaldinho and Huntlaar in the air.

Can see us going with 5 in midfield tonight and playing Rooney as lone striker, Nani and Park wide, Valencia will show later. I think Fletch will need to close out their play in the middle and build the breaks, overall can see a score draw tonight which I think SAF will aim for and then take the win at Old Trafford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I can see Ferguson going with Valencia over Nani. Antonini is relatively unproven, especially the defensive aspects of his game, not too disimilar to Insua at Liverpool, and Valencia played in that game. Granted, Nani is in much better form now than he was then, but I suspect Ferguson has little patience when it comes to Nani, and he sounded mighty pissed off about his red card at Villa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

wow, lot of confidence for tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

i think United will go through, whether they'll win tonight is another story though. Will be interesting to see what games Pato, Ronaldinho and Nani will have. All in the news for being in and out of form

• Registered Users Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭Quandary

Milan havent kept a clean sheet in the Champs League at home or away all season and will struggle to contain Rooney i think.

On the Milan side however, Ronaldinho has been hitting his old magical form again and on his night is pretty unplayable imo.Whoever said he's past his peak? Fair enough he lost his way for a year or 2 but he's still only 29 afaik & Milan are reknowned for getting the best out of ageing players.

I expect a tight game with low scoring.Id be surprised if Utd lose tonight but if Milan win i doubt it will be by more than the odd goal.

I'd be delighted with a United win but id take a 1-1 draw in a heart beat.Really looking forward to this match :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Bubs101 wrote: »
    I also think that people have gotten used to the idea that Serie A is really far behind La Liga and the Premiership when talking about the two Milan ties but the standard in the premiership has declined so much this season and Fiorentina already spanked Liverpool. The ties will be more competetive than people think

that was during a run that saw liverpool lose 6 games out of 7 played, remember fulham beat them just as much around the same time, it was liverpools worst run of form for about 700 years according to the tabloids :p

if liverpool were playing anyways decent they would have wiped the floor with fiorentina who are average at best

utd to win this easily, i saw ac play live in person in october, very unimpressed, defensively they are all over the place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭stooge

I dont think Milan are the same team as a few years ago. Then again I dont think Utd are as good as last year. The same tie last year I would have been very confident of utd going through.

Im predicting 1-0 Milan tonight and a 1-1/2-1(utd) in Old Trafford to see Milan spring a surprise and go through.

Pato to score tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Surprised at the resounding confidence amongst United fans in here. United struggle most aganst teams that pass teh ball well and keep a hold of it for prolonged periods, something this Milan side, with clever players such as Pirlo, Seedorf, Ronaldinho etc can do all night. Don't have a good feeling about this. I fear Carrick may be found out again and not at all confident in Nani's ability to keep the head in the cauldron of the San Siro. Also Rio is always dodgy when he hasnt had games. People here are writing off Milan way too easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

flahavaj wrote: »
    Surprised at the resounding confidence amongst United fans in here. United struggle most aganst teams that pass teh ball well and keep a hold of it for prolonged periods, something this Milan side, with clever players such as Pirlo, Seedorf, Ronaldinho etc can do all night. Don't have a good feeling about this. I fear Carrick may be found out again and not at all confident in Nani's ability to keep the head in the cauldron of the San Siro. Also Rio is always dodgy when he hasnt had games. People here are writing off Milan way too easily.

if we play the way we did against Arsenal ie high tempo game we should win it

that's the way inter destroyed AC Milan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

considering we have got to two consecutive CL finals and won the league 3 times, which possession sides have we struggled against? Arsenal are probably the biggest possession side in England and we have dealt with them more often than not over the last couple of seasons.

Barcelona dominated us in the CL final last year but we contained them defensively in both legs of the semi the year before.

What sides have shown United to be weak in this regard?

As for Carrick, he has generally excelled in games vs Italian (inter and roma games) so i don't think he has anything to fear tonight to be honest.

Rio ALWAYS dodgy when he hasn't had games? Came into the starting line up vs City on the back of no real game time and was fine. His longest spell out was 8 months and he came back vs Liverpool and schooled the liverpool attack that night.

Also, I don't see this show of over-confidence that you do - most people think United could nick it or get a draw. whats the problem with that?

I don't think it will be an easy game for United, not at all, but I do think United have what it takes to get a result vs Milan. A lot has changed since Milan whipped us at the San Siro. United are a far more mentally tough and tactically aware side than they were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

rossie1977 wrote: »
    that was during a run that saw liverpool lose 6 games out of 7 played, remember fulham beat them just as much around the same time, it was liverpools worst run of form for about 700 years according to the tabloids :p

if liverpool were playing anyways decent they would have wiped the floor with fiorentina who are average at best

utd to win this easily, i saw ac play live in person in october, very unimpressed, defensively they are all over the place

This kind of comment sums up the typical arrogance/ignorance of many premiership fans on this board.

You really think Liverpool just need to play 'anyway decent' to go away from home to Florence and 'wipe the floor' with Fiorentina? Maybe they could go to Florence, soak up loads of pressure an get a goal via Dirk Kuyt's right bum cheek, but they would not 'wipe the floor' with them.

I'm a United fan and I expect us to go through over the two legs, but it won't be easy. Indeed there maybe Milan fans posting on boards.it that if Milan play anyway decent they'll wipe the floor with us, given that they did so not that long ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

considering we have got to two consecutive CL finals and won the league 3 times, which possession sides have we struggled against? Arsenal are probably the biggest possession side in England and we have dealt with them more often than not over the last couple of seasons.

Barcelona dominated us in the CL final last year but we contained them defensively in both legs of the semi the year before.

What sides have shown United to be weak in this regard?

As for Carrick, he has generally excelled in games vs Italian (inter and roma games) so i don't think he has anything to fear tonight to be honest.

Rio ALWAYS dodgy when he hasn't had games? Came into the starting line up vs City on the back of no real game time and was fine. His longest spell out was 8 months and he came back vs Liverpool and schooled the liverpool attack that night.

Also, I don't see this show of over-confidence that you do - most people think United could nick it or get a draw. whats the problem with that?

I don't think it will be an easy game for United, not at all, but I do think United have what it takes to get a result vs Milan. A lot has changed since Milan whipped us at the San Siro. United are a far more mentally tough and tactically aware side than they were.

We shall see. I hope I'm wrong obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,828 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I'd be happy with a win or draw for United

Is this the first time Beckham has played against United since he left i cant remember if he did with Real Madrid?

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭steps_3314

Headshot wrote: »
    if we play the way we did against Arsenal ie high tempo game we should win it

that's the way inter destroyed AC Milan

Thats a bit obvious Headshot. Not wanting to sound smart.

If utd play like they did against Arsenal they will beat any team.

Going to go for a 1-1 draw with Rooney scoring a late equaliser

steps_3314 wrote: »
    Thats a bit obvious Headshot. Not wanting to sound smart.

If utd play like they did against Arsenal they will beat any team.

Going to go for a 1-1 draw with Rooney scoring a late equaliser

beat any team ?

I wish..

• Advertisement

Good post.

I expect united to have a very tough match tonight.

Milan in the European cup are a very different outfit and I'd be very suprised if united get more than a point.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Good post.

Milan in the European cup are a very different outfit and I'd be very suprised if united get more than a point.

they're as inconsistent in europe as they are domestically. Sure, got good results vs Madrid.

Lost at home to Zurich and drew with Marsaille.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Is this the first time Beckham has played against United since he left i cant remember if he did with Real Madrid?

Yeah it is, he didn't play against United with Real.
    Good post.

a point? ;)

It's going to be tough tonight but I am confident enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭enviro

I'd be very suprised if united get more than a point.

Knockout phase now:p

Seaneh wrote: »
    The fact that UTD are terrible at defending set pieces and Milan are extremely good at attacking them?

United have conceded amongst the lowest amount of goals from set pieces in the league this season. How the hell are we terrible at it? We suck at attacking them, but defending them we are as good as any body.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

they're as inconsistent in europe as they are domestically. Sure, got good results vs Madrid.

All even so. Man U lost at home to Besiktas and drew at CSKA

nipplenuts wrote: »
    All even so. Man U lost at home to Besiktas and drew at CSKA

indeed - Fergie was lax in his team selections those nights, but i'm not claiming United are a different beast in Europe and that it the best Milan could hope for is a draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

carlop wrote: »
    This kind of comment sums up the typical arrogance/ignorance of many premiership fans on this board.

You really think Liverpool just need to play 'anyway decent' to go away from home to Florence and 'wipe the floor' with Fiorentina? Maybe they could go to Florence, soak up loads of pressure an get a goal via Dirk Kuyt's right bum cheek, but they would not 'wipe the floor' with them.

yeah excuse me for forgetting that fiorentina are world-beaters and assuming because liverpool have won at stamford bridge, camp nou, the san siro, old trafford and the bernabeu (all within the last 2 years) that they would have little chance, playing anyways close to form of beating a mid-table italian team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

Not sure about the scoreline but I imagine it will be a draw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

They weren't inconsistent then, they were awful at home and in the Champion's League. They had a shocking start to the season but have really picked up and before the Inter match were pretty much unstoppable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Milan to win.

Hopefully Beckham with a nice auld free kick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Even if United lose by a goal tonight they should be too strong for Milan at Old Trafford imo and win by at least a couple.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭antod

Facts ahead of Milan and Manchester United's first-leg Champions League last 16 tie at the San Siro.
    Milan's English midfielder David Beckham reacts during his team's Italian Serie A football match against Livorno on January 31, 2010 at San Siro Stadium in Milan - 0
    More Stories

* Milan v Manchester United

Milan have beaten Manchester United in three of their four Champions League meetings, all since 2005.

The Red Devils have failed to score on all four trips to the San Siro to face Milan in Europe, losing each time.

On the four occasions that the Rossoneri have met United in Europe, they have eliminated them from the competition.

United have played in Italy 12 times in the Champions League, winning on the three occasions when they have scored more than once, but failing to win in the nine others.

Milan are without a win in four games at home in the Champions League, scoring just two goals in the process.

United have won five of their last six matches away from home in Europe, losing only to Barcelona in last year's final.

Only Cristiano Ronaldo (six) has scored more goals than Michael Owen in this season's tournament (four).

Wayne Rooney has scored eight goals in his last seven appearances in all competitions, though is yet to score in three appearances in the Champions League this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

rossie1977 wrote: »
    yeah excuse me for forgetting that fiorentina are world-beaters and assuming because liverpool have won at stamford bridge, camp nou, the san siro, old trafford and the bernabeu (all within the last 2 years) that they would have little chance, playing anyways close to form of beating a mid-table italian team

I don't want to keep going off-topic here but you said 'wipe the floor' with them, I accept Liverpool could win away to Fiorentina, I disputed that they would wipe the floor with them.

Also, though they're currently in mid-table, they have finished fourth the last two seasons running, so they're not really a mid-table side.

according to goal (yes i know)

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1716/champions-league/2010/02/16/1793577/breaking-news-daniele-bonera-to-start-for-milan-against

BREAKING NEWS: Daniele Bonera To Start For Milan Against Manchester United
    The defender will get a chance to shine instead of youngster Ignazio Abate.

dont know much about Bonera so I cant comment

is this a good or bad thing for utd ? :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Headshot wrote: »
    according to goal (yes i know)

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1716/champions-league/2010/02/16/1793577/breaking-news-daniele-bonera-to-start-for-milan-against

dont know much about Bonera so I cant comment

is this a good or bad thing for utd ? :)

He is a very good fullback defensively, not much going forward.

to me, it means that they are expecting to start Huntelaar with Pato wide right and won't be looking for pato to trackback at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Am I the only one who see's this being a desperatley dull game?
    I might be wrong but 0-0 seem's like the most likely outcome, unless Milan score early and United go at them. Otherwise it's going to be a long night of thankless work from Rooney on his own up front with his supporting players sitting deeper back to stop Milan playing.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Breaking news: Bonera will start at RB instead of Abate.

This is obviously to counter Evra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Gosh I'm excited and terrified about this game. I was in San Siro in 2007 when Milan knocked us out and it was heart breaking. I really want to beat them this time.

I'd happily take a score draw in this game. Wouldn't like a 0-0, hopefully Rooney can do something and it'll be a big game for Nani should he start.

I dont rate our chances of winning this game.

Score draw is the most likely outcome.

AC in europe are a totally different kettle of fish.

They should have beaten Real twice only for Dida.

SSN: Becks starts as predicted by the Italian media yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Bukman13

redout wrote: »
    They should have beaten Real twice only for Dida.

They could have lost to Zurich twice only for a Ronaldinho pen.

Considering how Becks is starting then this must be the AC team

AC Milan lineup:
    Dida, Bonera, Nesta, Thiago Silva, Antonini, Beckham, Pirlo, Ambrosini, Pato, Huntelaar, Ronaldinho

Man Utd lineup:
    VDS, Rafael, Rio, Evans, Evra, Nani, Fletcher, Carrick, Scholes, Park, Rooney

• Advertisement

wow park will be some threat going down the left wing

redout wrote: »
    Man Utd lineup:
    VDS, Rafael, Rio, Evans, Evra, Nani, Fletcher, Carrick, Scholes, Park, Rooney
    happy that Nani is starting, but I honestly thought it would be either him or Valencia.

Fergie might be worried about his lack of big match experience though, i suppose. He won't get that experience without playing though. Its a chicken and egg situation as it were (the damn egg came first, clearly)

Big showing of faith in Raf - honestly thought Fergie would go with Brown at the back. Raf against Ronaldinho could be a horror show! Wonder which side of the pitch Park will be on. Nani plays better on the right but then Raf is going to need support vs Ronaldinho.

Can't complain too much though, couldn't really have gone much different from that side.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Wow, that is a very attacking Milan line up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Should be a cracking game going by the line-ups.

Anyone know if Milan have a single free kick taker or do Becks, Ronaldinho and Pirlo rotate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Boom 11 out of eleven.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭mada999

defensive enough team out for UTD.... as it seems to be most games for them these days.... i really think UTD should have put Valencia and Nani on to go at the Italians... i think utd are playing for a draw and maybe hoping to nick a goal.... Maybe Fergie has been studying Rafa...lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Beckham anytime 5/1 is tempting, think I'll just got for Pato first scorer at 13/2. :)

mada999 wrote: »
    defensive enough team out for UTD.... as it seems to be most games for them these days.... i really think UTD should have put Valencia and Nani on to go at the Italians... i think utd are playing for a draw and maybe hoping to nick a goal.... Maybe Fergie has been studying Rafa...lol

its the way we have been playing the the CL (and any big game really) for a few years now.

I'm always moaning about the defensive nature of the side.

Games like the Arsenal matches in teh CL last season and the Arsenal game recently have left me with egg on my face.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Come on Beckham :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Can see a 2-1 win for United in Milan. A weaker Milan team than what we are accustomed to over the last decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

2-0 Milan imo

• Advertisement
Advertisement