Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Should be compulsory?? WHAT YOU THINK?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭grrrrrrrrrr

JennyBean1 wrote: »
    Hey

So i believe make it voluntary or make the course more interesting!!!:D
    xxxx

or BOTH!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 shaunob

Have to do a survey for a typography project! Mines based on the lack of Irish Irish people have... So if you can remember ANYTHING from your days of learning Irish in school or elsewhere please post back :D It will really help me out!

An bhfuil cead agam dul go dtí an leathrais, that sort of thing! The funnier the better!

CHeers in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

The primary school I went to was in the north inner city Dublin. It was a Christian Brothers school and all of the brothers were either from the west of Ireland or the north. As Dublin kids we had nothing in common with these brothers as they were from mainly rural backgrounds. They left us in no doubt that they were the real Irish and we were Sassanachs. Irish was a foreign language to us and they deeply resented this.
    Beating a foreign language/culture into us was counterproductive and the fruits of this teaching policy is that we left school after many years doing Irish and we can't hold a conversation in Irish.
    I'm sorry if this wasn't the funny story you were looking for but this is my story.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gant0

Such a pointless subject when 99% of the time you will never use it outside of school an the Leaving Cert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭CokaColumbo

The system sure isn't working at the moment. Daily usage of the language is pathetically low.

Make it optional and reform it also- that should have been an option for the poll.

If you try and force somebody to do something, they won't want to do it.
    If you try and force somebody to learn off poems and stories about old women suffering from depression, they won't want to do it.

Cur beim ar comhra na Gaeilge. Sin e mo thuairim fein.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Grainnexxxxxx

Personally , I really Do love Our native language... without our Irish .. who are we?? the English' island off the coast!!! Irish is necessary to every Irish person! It will stand some good to you in the future! It's not as if the languag is hard it's much much easier than English and French .. for me anyways! Irish is a beautiful language that shows both personality and background! I am definitely Pro-Gaeilge!! (:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I can speak French more clearly within a space of 3 years than Irish in approximately 10 years. The way it's taught is dragged out beyond belief. To be honest, I'd rather if it was optional because it's getting in the way of studying harder subjects like Maths and Chemistry for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Bhoy_

In my opinion you're taught the exam, not the language. So whatever hope they had of reviving the language is completely gone because of their terrible syllabus.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

I'M so happy having an exemption from Irish. got a c3 in my LC I. 2008 so glad I was able to drop in on grounds that English is my second language and being foreign and such. I hate the way the language is taught, and until that changes it should be optional!!!

Personally , I really Do love Our native language... without our Irish .. who are we?? the English' island off the coast!!! Irish is necessary to every Irish person! It will stand some good to you in the future! It's not as if the languag is hard it's much much easier than English and French .. for me anyways! Irish is a beautiful language that shows both personality and background! I am definitely Pro-Gaeilge!! (:

Spoken like a true Anti- British fanatic. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭MaighEoAbu

fufureida wrote: »
    Spoken like a true Anti- British fanatic. :)

Spoken like a true pro-British fanatic.

MaighEoAbu wrote: »

Yeah sure, seeing Im Pakistani I'm DEFINATELY pro brit...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

How so?

Yeah sure, seeing Im Pakistani I'm DEFINATELY pro brit...:rolleyes:

Now who's being anti-brit?

How so?

I was merely pointing to the fact that the above poster sees it necessary to call someone anti-Brit when they are expressing their opinion on the Irish language. It's a pathetic form of debating when someone sinks to that level.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

I personal have never been good at Irish at all, I'm doing ordinary and struggling to pass. However, I do believe that it is important to know a bit of Irish language, so in my opinion Irish should be compulsory up until the Junior Cert and then become optional. This would mean people would know enough of the basic language and if they wanted, would have the choice to keep it on. I also think this would help people, like me and many others, to do better in their Leaving Cert and have a better chance to get into college.

Now who's being anti-brit?

Funny you should say that...seeing my boyfriend is from York, Yorkshire, United Kingdom. :rolleyes:
    I felt that referring to Ireland as '' an English island '' was a little anti-english, I had a little joke, no harm done.

But back on topic. I think a language is a very important aspect of culture, but in all fairness, how many ppl really know what Irish culture IS about? Sure, I think its great to keep a language alive but we live in a demanding world where a language like Irish just really wouldnt have any use...sadly I believe that is the truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭happy_feet

What real benefit would removing it be?

I am a leaving cert student, doing honours. Love the language and can't get enough of it....a love that i got from time i spent in the gaeltacht.

Stair na Gaeilge, and poems and stories should be removed, or at least, reduced so that one poem and/or one story is studied. an interesting one at that.

''nios mo beim'' should be put on speaking, so that when a leaving cert student leaves school, he/she can effectively express themselves through irish. NOT regurgitating answers onto a page.

The written exam should be way shorter, with much less writing. Orals should from the large part of the course.

Maybe a cultural element could be included? such as irish music/dance? Before you all go to town saying how stupid that would be, its only an idea!

thats my opinions on it anyway! better go, i have an essay on ''Uirchill an Chreagain'' :(:(:(

Gaeilge Abu! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Funny you should say that...seeing my boyfriend is from York, Yorkshire, United Kingdom. :rolleyes:
    Very funny indeed! How ridiculous that strangers from the internet would not know imitate details from your life! I for one feel that your use of sarcastic emoticons is entirely justified in this case!

Anyway, I agree with happy_feet's suggestion that Irish should be more oral focused. That was my favourite part of Irish; learning Irish that I may actually use some day!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Moshimoshi

If they made it optional then the students who want to study it would still study it, the only difference would be that those who don't want to study it wouldn't be forced to. I think it would make a much greater difference in "preserving the language" if they made it optional from Junior Cert and offered extra points for an A. As it stands the system just fosters resentment in those who don't see the point in learning just enough Irish to pass it so they can get to university, when they otherwise have no interest in the subject.

• Advertisement

but if they changed the course and made it more interesting, then a lot of people wouldnt 'hate' it. It would do the language a lot of good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭LL92

if you are an irish citizen, of course it should be compulsory! it's our native language, there's no excuse for being exempt from it!
    that's like people from england not having to do english for their exams!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

LL92 wrote: »
    that's like people from england not having to do english for their exams!
    No it's not. It's not like that at all. If Irish was our main language, that we were all raised speaking, and we used it everyday, watched all our TV shows in Irish, read books in Irish and basically used Irish for everything that we currently use English for -then not having to do Irish would be like someone from England not having to do English.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭LL92

that's what it should be like and people should want to do irish, and not complain because they're "made" do it. we should want to have our own language, and making an effort to do well in it for leaving cert would help that. if it was our choice to do irish, then the people who don't like it/are bad at it (a lot of people), wouldn't bother doing it, meaning it would die out even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

that's what it should be like and people should want to do irish, and not complain because they're "made" do it. we should want to have our own language, and making an effort to do well in it for leaving cert would help that. if it was our choice to do irish, then the people who don't like it/are bad at it (a lot of people), wouldn't bother doing it, meaning it would die out even more.

And what's the benefit of forcing those people that don't like it or 'are bad it' to do Irish. They're not going to revive the language. If they don't like it, they're not going to go around and start speaking it.

Risteard wrote: »
    They're not going to revive the language.

How do you know that? whereas the Government arent doing the best job, at least they are making the effort. Im actually surprised at the cultural ignorance which is going on in this thread.

Its your heritage, its your culture. Yes, the leaving cert course is incredibly boring and needs to be changed.

You should be proud that we have a language that sets us apart from other english speaking countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

happy_feet wrote: »
    How do you know that? whereas the Government arent doing the best job, at least they are making the effort. Im actually surprised at the cultural ignorance which is going on in this thread.

Its your heritage, its your culture. Yes, the leaving cert course is incredibly boring and needs to be changed.

You should be proud that we have a language that sets us apart from other english speaking countries.

Well I didn't like Irish. I don't speak it at all. So doing the Leaving Cert had absolutely no effect on me. Now, I'm sure I'm not the only one.

In an ideal world we'd be able to speak our own language perfectly and speak English well too. I'd love it if everybody spoke Irish all the time. But realistically speaking, that's never going to happen again.

If people want to learn Irish then I have no problem. I'm not anti-Irish I just think there should be a choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Moshimoshi

But you can't expect everyone else to feel the same way as you or to think you can force people into appreciating their heritage by making Irish compulsory. Making it optional would have no effect on the people who actually WANT to study it, the only difference is that the people who don't want to wouldn't have to. These people are hardly going to come out of the leaving cert singing the praises of the Irish language anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

happy_feet wrote: »

Whether I'm proud of my country, culture and language or not is up to me, there is no should.

• Advertisement

Whether I'm proud of my country, culture and language or not is up to me, there is no should.

Well, oddly enough, it seems to be the people who dont have pride in their culture and heritage are the ones who want it to be optional.
    Strange that.

Advertisement