Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discuss Surfing forum policy changes here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

No, leave things the way they are now.
    Can ye just keep this on topic lads please? Progress is finally being made. We know there were idiots on both sides of the original debacle but this is not what's being debated here.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭tedshredsonfire

some very talented surfers use bics and a lot of the time its just to piss off other surfers who expect them to be ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

paudie wrote: »
    I didn't take part in the original "discussion" but read the threads and it did seem like the map was kept in place just to spite the surfers who opposed to it being there. Yes I know there was threats made as well.

Ya exactly. The mods are the problem here not the surfers. People did go to the help desk and surprise surpise nothing happened. SO don't fob me off with that.

YOu raised the issue again and therefore you are leaving yourself open to the consequences. (i.e the crit on here) Take it down and then do the honourable thing and resign as Mod to the Surfers Forum.

I am sure I will have support for that.

fade2che wrote: »
    At least you admit your ranting I suppose. Can you also see your post is slightly abusive? Saying there are some amount of idiots on boards with crap ideas that they try to force on others? Mods are tech nerds because of decisions they make? New surfers with bics?
    Seriously, is there anyone else you would like to take a dig at?
    Your attitude gives surfing a bad name, this pretentious stance against newcomers, which reeks of snobbery does nothing for you or surfing culture.
    Its also a cheap shot at mods given the topic and history of the boards.ie surfer community.

I have nothing against newcomers in general, it is against newcomers that used this forum to make that map available. Its not snobbery, its just being sensible.

I have nothing against people using bics but its the guys on here who wanted the map up that gave bics a bad name.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

NickDrake wrote: »
    Ya exactly. The mods are the problem here not the surfers. People did go to the help desk and surprise surpise nothing happened. SO don't fob me off with that.

YOu raised the issue again and therefore you are leaving yourself open to the consequences. (i.e the crit on here) Take it down and then do the honourable thing and resign as Mod to the Surfers Forum.

I am sure I will have support for that.

What the hell are you on about, both myself and cornbb both surf :confused: but thats neither here nor there, you are dragging the whole thread off topic, one more time and you will be banned until the issue is resolved.

• Advertisement

Ok I will no longer post on this issue but can I just ask one question to clear things up please?

What mod was responsible for putting up the maps??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

NickDrake wrote: »
    What mod was responsible for putting up the maps??

I'm not sure who created and posted the actual maps originally but the decision to keep them on boards was made by the Admins on the back of the whole blow up in the forum at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Chiarrai

<name removed>

That person did NOT create the map or post it here

c - 13 wrote: »
    I'm not sure who created and posted the actual maps originally but the decision to keep them on boards was made by the Admins on the back of the whole blow up in the forum at the time.

Thanks. (my last post on the issue)

Calm lads, calm :D Let's stay on topic here. We are discussing the merits of taking down the map. The forum mods are being quite reasonable about this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭jkl

Perhaps a less specific map.

The current map shows many breaks, beginners like the map, it helps give us an idea of where to go. The more advanced breaks on it aren't that clearly marked. And like all beginners i looked at it and got ideas above my station. Kind of like an access all areas pass.

I'd like to see a beginner friendly map, with the main Irish breaks clearly shown on it, the idea of every break for all levels seems too much to me.

The map as it is does not seem like a sensible idea to me and i'd support removing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭tedshredsonfire

I think most beginners know where to go or are told in the surf shop or whereever theya are renting gear and are told strandhill, lahinch etc. The issue imho is with intermediates who are bored with the same places and want to try somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭jkl

Surely an intermediate should be able to read whats going on in the water, and take personal responsibility for their own actions?

That said i still think the map should be removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

jkl wrote: »
    Perhaps a less specific map.

The current map shows many breaks, beginners like the map, it helps give us an idea of where to go. The more advanced breaks on it aren't that clearly marked. And like all beginners i looked at it and got ideas above my station. Kind of like an access all areas pass.

I'd like to see a beginner friendly map, with the main Irish breaks clearly shown on it, the idea of every break for all levels seems too much to me.

The map as it is does not seem like a sensible idea to me and i'd support removing it.

If you are looking for information on breaks then there's load else where on line magicseaweed, wannasurf beachwizard - this started out of what there is no community spirit here - the reason is because of what happened over one guy who is no longer around who posted a map to alleged secret spots -it was bait which we swallowed hook line and sinker - as things are the current map is very poor quality but what it stands for goes against what most experience surfers believe and we'd like to see it taken down.

As for the current mods here maybe I'm wrong but I don't see C-13 around much so to say anything - I've no axe to grind
    CornBB has so far taken a light touch and has kept thing on tipic, yes he was part of the pro maps thing before but seams willing to listen as does C-13 so regardless of the outcome of this debate I can' see why either of them should resign.

I personally want to see the map taken down - going on the attack won't help - if you are on one side or the other fine but play the ball and not the man ( or lady)

as things are the current map is very poor quality
    There are spots on the map that definitely should not be there. The locations are correct but the descriptions are bull****.

Most surfers would agree that this is an acceptable list of spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

When is the decision being made? Since the poll has been up, the majority have voted to take the map down. There have been over 800 views, over 45 replies, 30 votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭fade2che

The thread is only open a day so it might be a good idea to leave it open at least a week in order to let members who log in less frequently a chance to contribute?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

Personally, I don't agree with censorship of this kind and don't think it should be tolerated here so I voted to leave as is.

Also, a good few of those voting for change are brand new members who only joined boards when this discussion started back up. There is a possibility the vote could be swayed by multiple accounts.

I wouldn't be in any hurry to change as a lot of the surfers here might be in hibernation until the weather improves and might not visit the board regularly this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

Personally, I don't agree with censorship of this kind and don't think it should be tolerated here so I voted to leave as is.

Also, a good few of those voting for change are brand new members who only joined boards when this discussion started back up. There is a possibility the vote could be swayed by multiple accounts.

I wouldn't be in any hurry to change as a lot of the surfers here might be in hibernation until the weather improves and might not visit the board regularly this time of year.

Its up to the mods to close this and take it further whenever they deem appropriate.

As for the new accounts, read the first post again. The votes do not count as much as the content of the thread. So new regs and admins can vote as much as they want its the debate that will win the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

kodute wrote: »
    Its up to the mods to close this and take it further whenever they deem appropriate.

As for the new accounts, read the first post again. The votes do not count as much as the content of the thread. So new regs and admins can vote as much as they want its the debate that will win the day.

Problem is that the loons will eventually get wind of this and it could desend into a slaging match - this is the kind of thing you are either for or against - IMO most who start out as for move to against with experience.

• Advertisement

@TheBig Lebowski
    You may also remember that all surfers who expressed their opinions in the original thread were banned and called surfer scum. They need to re-register if they want to have a vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 unluckyforsome

Take it down

Beginners looking for surf spots go here: www.magicseaweed.com

Its actually dangerous for beginners to see those spots on the map and travel to them with no local knowledge of breaks and currents etc.

Egos aside this forum needs to be kept inline with other surf forums if it is to retain any credibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 donga_perkins

I realise the tone of my previous post may not have been the best, so sorry for that. Personally, I think the question of why this is even up for debate is still valid and relevant, but that's just me I guess...

I think what people here, beginners and non-surfers especially, need to realise is that this policy doesn't just affect this forum. This policy has a direct effect on all surfers in Ireland, not just the ones that come on here.
    So why should anyone on this forum care? I think there's a responsibility to at least consider the impact these policies have outside of here. Regardless of whether you agree with it or not, or whether you like it or not, you must ask yourself if it could have an impact outside of boards.ie.

It's worth at least considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

Problem is that the loons will eventually get wind of this and it could desend into a slaging match - this is the kind of thing you are either for or against - IMO most who start out as for move to against with experience.

PeakOutput gave his experience and why he changed his mind. I was hoping good posts like that could change minds and votes of the inexperienced or anyone who thinks this is a freedom of speech argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Take it down

Beginners looking for surf spots go here: www.magicseaweed.com

Its actually dangerous for beginners to see those spots on the map and travel to them with no local knowledge of breaks and currents etc.

Egos aside this forum needs to be kept inline with other surf forums if it is to retain any credibility.

From what I have seen to far, a lot of the people claiming to be more established surfers coming on here dont exactly give surfing a good name. Looking down on beginners, non locals.....completely poor attitude. Everyone was a beginner once and unless you are Polynesian you arent the reason for surfing in this country.
    I don't buy the safety angle either. If a person is stupid enough to hear of a "break" then decide that, despite their inexperience, they should try to surf it, they are just as likely to try surfing somewhere thats isnt a sensitive spot and end up in trouble.
    Ultimately, its about not letting too many people know about the quiet spots or they will no longer be quiet for the select few who use them. These select few seem to have it in their heads that they "found" the break so its theirs. The breaks probably been found and forgotten about since surfing began in this country.
    More and more people are surfing nowadays so its pretty obvious that these quieter breaks are going to get busier and busier anyways.

As I said, I dont particularily think its worth getting caught up over trying to bring in some "more experienced" surfers. If they arent happy with the site there are plenty more out there to use and its not like theres a savage amount of naming of sensitive spots out there anyway. As someone also pointed out, the o so disputed map isnt going away any time soon either as its hosted external to boards and easily searchable via google.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭smithwicks

Please remove the map.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

I would be grateful if the mods / admins would respond to my earlier query as to whether the bans issued to all the 'surferscum' are yet lifted? There are a few people on here who have re-joined under other logins (including myself) who are owed that recognition.

This is not off topic as it is a response to the posting from thebiglebowski - ie people have had to reregister as a ridiculous, across-the-board ban by the admin was placed on any poster who supported the removal of the map previously, together with an insulting message.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭paudie

kippy wrote: »
    I don't buy the safety angle either. If a person is stupid enough to hear of a "break" then decide that, despite their inexperience, they should try to surf it, they are just as likely to try surfing somewhere thats isnt a sensitive spot and end up in trouble.
    Ultimately, its about not letting too many people know about the quiet spots or they will no longer be quiet for the select few who use them. These select few seem to have it in their heads that they "found" the break so its theirs. The breaks probably been found and forgotten about since surfing began in this country.
    More and more people are surfing nowadays so its pretty obvious that these quieter breaks are going to get busier and busier anyways.

People are stupid, I've seen it happen so many times that someone who doesn't know what they're will doing paddle out to a wave they cannot handle and get into trouble, or just end up going over the falls on every wave.

Even if you don't buy the safety aspect of this, the access issue is still relevant. Also crowds in general at any spot are a bad thing, they will always lead to hassling and aggravation which isn't good for anybody.

If we're going by post quality rather than poll numbers I've seen far more reasons to take the link down than to keep it up.

I really don't see how anybody benefits from having the link there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Chiarrai

We have tried to reason with Mr. Murphy through emails which completely fell on deaf ears.
    We have tried to reason with <name removed> (poster of said map) through telephone calls but said it was out of his hands...
    To be honest, boards.ie will never gain the respect of the surfing community in Ireland with its current policy, ie. ignoring surfing ethos on the Internet that everyone internationally adheres too.

For what its worth, surfing 21 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

I have not read a convincing reason to take maps down.
    I say keep the maps and in fact it would be better for people instead of saying the maps are dangerous, to grade them like ski slopes with something like green, blue, red, black to warn others of dangers etc.

Then in parallel, create a hosted forum where maps are banned/membership required, then the established surfers have a place which follows standard surfing etiquette.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement