Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shocked

• 15-02-2010 5:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,723 ✭✭✭✭

read in the IT on Saturday that the iconic shot of a couple kissing in Paris by Doisneau was staged - i really like much of Doisneau work, but the idea of staging street photography defeats the purpose , should be real not acted IMO -

not blaming Doisneau as he seamed a very humble man , but along with the fact that some of Cappa's war photography was also staged , beginning to wonder :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I thought that "news" came out many years ago now.

While they're great photos, knowing that they are staged really takes away from their nature.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

You should not read as much. It helps keep your fantasies intact. speechless-smiley-015.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭nonsequitir

thebaz wrote: »
    read in the IT on Saturday that the iconic shot of a couple kissing in Paris by Doisneau was staged - i really like much of Doisneau work, but the idea of staging street photography defeats the purpose , should be real not acted IMO -

not blaming Doisneau as he seamed a very humble man , but along with the fact that some of Cappa's war photography was also staged , beginning to wonder :mad:

Apparently not alone either, Some of Capa's war photos were staged too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭sasar

I watched a documentary on him a while ago and was also quite surprised about this fact. Well, slightly dissapointed, but it's still a great photograph.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Much of Doisneau's photographs where "staged", in fact most photography is in one way or another.

What matters to me is wether or not the image stays true to the feelings and emotions that the photographer is trying to convey.
    Doisneau would use people he met on the street, ask them to position themselves accordingly, and take the shot.

I see no problem with this, it would be more of an issue if he was hiring models to take out on the streets with him. But as far as i know, they were real people who happened to be around, rather than models acting out a part.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Thats old news Barry!

This one wasn't staged though The Kiss :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,723 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Covey wrote: »
    Thats old news Barry!

This one wasn't staged though The Kiss :D:D

nice one - it was you who converted me to Doisneau a while back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

And I thought no one paid any heed to me :):P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

A surprising amount of press/news photography is staged.. Ruins the illusion at times but I guess a good photo is a good photo.. Personally I prefer the spontaneous ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

You know, I've heard so many bloody versions of *that* Capa shot now I'm ignoring everything else I hear :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Does it matter? It was paid assignment, and I think he done it quite well - the picture become a photographic icon. And I don't recall anyone suggesting that it was just random street snapshot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,723 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

ThOnda wrote: »
    Does it matter? .

to me it matters, bit like musicians syncing/miming songs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

thebaz wrote: »
    to me it matters, bit like musicians syncing/miming songs

But Milli Vanilli were awesome :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

But Milli Vanilli were awesome :)

LMAO...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭davmigil

It's being going on a long time, since the dawn of photography.
    In pictures of the american civil war you would often see the same soldier's dead body in different 'poses' and locations.

http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/hoax/Hoaxipedia/Moving_the_Body/

Advertisement