Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tax Implication of Renting Your Own House

• 15-02-2010 5:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Hi,

I am looking for advice on the tax implications of renting my own house that I own to someone and then renting another house for myself. Do I get taxed on the income from the rental from my own house or can I write one off against the other ?? Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭wishful thinker

WDVladB wrote: »
    Hi,

I am looking for advice on the tax implications of renting my own house that I own to someone and then renting another house for myself. Do I get taxed on the income from the rental from my own house or can I write one off against the other ?? Any advice would be appreciated.

Irish tax system works on taxing your income......so you would be taxed on income received from renting.

You might incur costs such as insurance, mortgage interest - that you can claim against the income.

You cannot claim the cost of you renting another house.

Also, if you rent out your PPR (Principle Private Residence), this would affect your PPR CGT exemption if you sold it at a later stage - meaning you'd end up paying some tax.:mad:

What about the idea of rent-a-room relief - you could rent out ROOMS in your house and as long as the full annual income is less than 10k, then there would be not income tax due. But, this house would still be your PPR (officially)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 WDVladB

Thanks for that, very helpful although not exactly great. Do you know if I can claim all of my mortgage interest or is there a cap on this ?? I think I'm due to pay in excess of €8,000 this year so it would be good if I could at least claim this back

Advertisement