Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wifi cutting out when phone rings (was: Re.Broadband)

• 15-02-2010 6:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi.
    I have a problem with my broadband that my internet provider cannot seem to solve.When my phone rings my wifi cuts out .This is despite having everything connected perfectly.
    I have heard there is some sort of booster that can be got but the electrical suppliers have not heard of it .
    Was just wondering if any of you has had the same problem.
    Thanks guys.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Its probably a microfilter you are looking for. Stops interference with the broadband connection when the phone rings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

This post should really be moved to DATA/COMMS.. But anyways..

Kc66 is right but Ill give you a few more pointers...

Firstly have you got an ADSL filter on the line?
    How many telephone points have you in the business/house?
    Have you a monitored alarm?
    Is your DSL connected to the main eircom socket?
    Are you sharing the line with anything else, as in Fax etc??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 JKelly100

I have just two phone points in the building.Internet works fine with the micro filter in and connected directly to the laptops.Its the WiFI thats the problem.Not even sure what an ADSL filter is to be honest.The phone line was split before we got the place just inside the front door.One line to the phone and one to another office which I have now also.The router is connected to the second one . Tried it in on the other point and its the same story,Its a bit of a pain for people in the waiting room when they need to work online.Thanks for getting back .Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Cannot see how a phone call can interfere with the wireless connection between the router and PC. Unless you have a cordless phone with the same frequency and channel as your wifi. If thats the case changing the channel on the router should fix it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Relocated to Broadband forum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭cpu.dude

JKelly100 wrote: »
    I have just two phone points in the building.Internet works fine with the micro filter in and connected directly to the laptops.Its the WiFI thats the problem.Not even sure what an ADSL filter is to be honest.The phone line was split before we got the place just inside the front door.One line to the phone and one to another office which I have now also.The router is connected to the second one . Tried it in on the other point and its the same story,Its a bit of a pain for people in the waiting room when they need to work online.Thanks for getting back .Cheers.
    Ok we need to elaborate whether it's the Wireless or the actually connection itself dropping. Most likely an incorrect filter setup or fault filter is causing interference on the line, thus causing the DSL to drop which would drop the connection - or, not likely but possible, cordless phones in your house could be causing interference to your laptop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 854 ✭✭✭iknorr

yup, cpu.dude, i second that.
    i would guess its a filter problem. I bet its "arranged " backwards with the adsl /telephone connections mixed up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Have you a DECT portable phone in the house? If so change the channel on the WiFi as they can cause interference to WiFi signals.

MC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

I think its the case of Wifi getting affected with the frequencies of cordless phones.

Try using a different channel for your wifi. You can login in to administrator password and change it in the router setting.

I had a audio video sender and it was the same story. Any time it was switched on, it used to kill the wifi connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Missed the comment from MunsterCycling :)

I think he is right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

If your using a cordless phone then this is most likely your problem..

If im right your wireless router operates on 2.8GHz frequency and your phone is probably doing the same.. Get a phone that operates 5.8GHz or 900 MHz..

Hopefully that should solve your problem..

EDIT: the google king above beat me to some good links...

Advertisement