Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Town Planning Anyone?

Options
  • 15-02-2010 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭

Hey!

Is anyone a town planner here on boards? I'm looking for a job without much maths or science involved and also to incoporate my school options (geog, t.g, construction). I think town planning suits what i want perfectly.

The course I'm looking at is in UCD - Geography, Planning and Environmental Policy. This course is accredited by the RTPI, i realise i have to sit exams to gain membership after i do my degree, but do i have to do an accredited masters also?

Any additional info such as salary and career prospects are much welcome. Thanks! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

Hi there

Just spotted your post - The UCD Masters is a 2 year masters and is accredited by the IPI (Irish Planning Institute) and the RTPI (UK Version). It is expensive as it over 2 years, however it is widely held to be a very good programme. There is also a planning programme at UCC, it is new, but have also heard that it is very good.

I myself did the 1 year Masters at Queens in Belfast, which I found pretty good, and not as expensive as it is a one year course only. This is accredited by the RTPI only. To be honest the accrediation thing is not that important.

In terms of job prospects things are awful at the moment, I have a couple of years experience in the UK and Ireland, however given the recession I am now unemployed. Most of my friends are in the same situation, and have gone travelling or in other career directions.

I dont mean to put you off, just telling you the situation at the moment!Who knows, by the time you graduate things may have picked up again.

In terms of salary money in Ireland is better than UK in my experience. In the civil service a graduate wage is around €32000, with an assistant around €42000 or around that. I worked in the private sector where the pay was similar. Senior and executive planners get €50-60+ depending on your position. There are NO opportunities in the civil service at the moment, and I know people on temporary contracts who have been let go. Same goes for private companies right now, as I am sure you are aware the recession has hit the construction sector hard.

If you want to know anything else let me know!

These two posts also deal with this if you want to have a look:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=63992781

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055780547

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Another option is the 4 year BSc. programme in DIT Bolton St., Spatial Planning & Environmental Management, accredited by the IPI. I finished it last year and absolutely loved the course and any work I've gained out of it since then.

That said I've only worked in Limerick City Council Planning Dept. for a summer while completing the course and on a small collaborative project between DIT and Dublin City Council but that's about it in terms of work at the moment, I'm gone back to do a 1 year masters to fill the gap. But don't let that put you off, if you reckon you will enjoy it then go for it.

The DIT course has the advantage over the masters courses in my opinion as it is over 4 years and gives more practical experience to students, working on real-life projects with community groups, councils etc. Course content is also heavily shared with environmental management for the first two years so you get the benefit of understanding that side of things too.

In terms of maths and science it's not too bad, I did pass maths and no science subject for my leaving cert and with a little effort got through it fine. Most of the lecturers are working planners and solicitors too so you get the real world view rather than just the theory.

Have a look here and if needs be get in touch with Henk van De Kamp who is head of the school of Spatial Planning, really approachable guy who will answer any questions you have about the course. Best of luck!!

Advertisement