Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Kaching

Id be the same , even the word suggests cheesy crap

I just had someone kick me near O'Connell Bridge about an hour ago. Was walking to get a bus home when someone tried to stop me. Assuming it was a beggar or something, I walked around him, only for him to kick me in the leg afterwards.

Why do bad things always seem to happen to me? I don't know how much longer I can take this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Karsini wrote: »
    I just had someone kick me near O'Connell Bridge about an hour ago. Was walking to get a bus home when someone tried to stop me. Assuming it was a beggar or something, I walked around him, only for him to kick me in the leg afterwards.

Why do bad things always seem to happen to me? I don't know how much longer I can take this.
    Sorry to hear that, hope you're not too shaken by it. You know the prick could have kicked anyone, it was just randomly you.
    It's hard though isn't it depression just seems to make everything worse.

I've already had to contend with the fear that someone would emotionally hurt me. Now I know there some who will physically hurt me for no reason at all. Makes me ask myself what's the point? And do I want to live in a place like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,240 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Can't explain why but I'm in a fantastic mood today. I don't know what kicked it off. Weekend was ****, I stayed in bed most of the time but when I woke up this morning, I felt great, full of energy and enthusiasm, just bouncing about the place.

Times like this make me pause and wonder if I may be somewhat bi-polar. My swings aren't usually so dramatic and I know that the depression I've suffered from hasn't been as extreme as those described by people here but this sudden 180 degree shift is inexplicable, I've nothing to tie it to.

Hope the rest of yez are doing better today.

• Advertisement

Happened me the other day too.
    I was walking around a Roma beggar (because my cousin told me they get quite aggressive if you say no) and she grabs my jacket , pulls me to face her and then phlegms on me

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Having my first panic attacks in over two years. I don't know what to do. My boyfriend is in work for another few hours and I don't know who talk to. I'd been doing so well its such a surprise to me. But I have a lot of college work to do so need them stop so I can study. I can manage to catch my breath shortly but then it starts again. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Having my first panic attacks in over two years. I don't know what to do. My boyfriend is in work for another few hours and I don't know who talk to. I'd been doing so well its such a surprise to me. But I have a lot of college work to do so need them stop so I can study. I can manage to catch my breath shortly but then it starts again. :(
    ***hugs***

Is there anything you can do to try take your mind of them? I know it's tough if there is no one there to talk you through it :/ I always found that helped. It'll be okay, just try and ground yourself and take things easy. Don't be scared of them (I know that is impossible), but just let them come on. I find if you aren't as scared of it happening, they usually go away. Keep safe xx

***hugs***

Is there anything you can do to try take your mind of them? I know it's tough if there is no one there to talk you through it :/ I always found that helped. It'll be okay, just try and ground yourself and take things easy. Don't be scared of them (I know that is impossible), but just let them come on. I find if you aren't as scared of it happening, they usually go away. Keep safe xx
    My Internet is down and I only have the mobile Internet on my phone. I sent an instant message to a friend but she hasn't received it yet. I'm out of the country and can't call or text anyone and I don't have any good friends here yet. I just feel so bad cause this is a huge setback for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

my panic attacks have always been so short that I wouldn't have had time to even think of how to stop it. how about putting on some music? something slow and calm... if you concentrate on it it might help reduce your heartrate

• Advertisement

Stopped now after nearly an hour. Feeling pretty teary and drained but breathing OK. Sorry for the panicky posts but I couldn't get hold of anyone and didn't know where else to go! Hope it's just a one off so don't think I'll go to the doctor. I take anti depressants so unless it happens again I don't think I need a separate anxiety pill.

Now to read about 200 pages of a law book and hope it sinks in :( lousy timing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Temaz wrote: »
    Does anyone else get strange surreal dreams after taking night time meds?

Some crazy **** in my dreams!!

Absolutely! Since going on Cipramil, I've had regular dreams almost every night where as before I would scarcely have dreams during sleep at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭x3wiggles

flyswatter wrote: »
    Absolutely! Since going on Cipramil, I've had regular dreams almost every night where as before I would scarcely have dreams during sleep at all.

awwh yeah! i take zispin, and although i'm out like a freakin light, the dreams are mad! i thought i was alone with that one though. the dreams are so realistic that some times i get confused as to which is real? haha. amazing though. best nights sleep since I've been on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 periwinkle

Things have been going well, and I've been lurking for a bit. Got the diagnosis of bipolar last summer. It sits lightly on me - much more importantly, the bipolar meds are working - a revelation after years and years of different anti-depressants.

I had an appointment in the day hospital with my psych last week. There was a mix-up and after two hours sitting in the waiting room and getting more and more anxious, they realised they hadn't put me on the patient list for that morning, even though they'd sent me out an appointment card. So instead of my psych I was seen by one of the nurses.

Don't get me wrong, she was a very nice lady and very well-intentioned, but I really felt so ashamed and angry with myself after talking to her. I explained to her that I had applied for invalidity pension and it is gone to appeal. Now, since I left school, I've lost nearly every job I've ever had due to depression and anxiety - either I've had to give up the job, or they've had to give up on me. The nurse's response to me telling her about the invalidity pension was to ask "do you not want to work?" I took that very personally. Of course I want to berluddy work, but I keep falling flat on my face to the point where it is totally demoralising and I feel so ashamed at not being able to keep down a job for any reasonable length of time. The whole point of applying for invalidity pension is that I might be able for working part-time, and maybe build up to working full-time, at times. I'm not looking to milk the system - you guys all know how crippling depression can be - I can't even talk about how bad it was last year.

Then she told me I wasn't the worst patient they see and that there are people there worse off than me. Way to make me feel twice as bad. :(

I basically felt like she was telling me to cop on to myself.

I couldn't wait to get out of there and have felt like crud since.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Not doing so well, too anxious to post much online, I expect to get into nasty fights if I do (observe the first post in several days here). :(

• Registered Users Posts: 36 periwinkle

Hope you feel a bit better soon, nesf. As my uncle says, "take it steady." xxx

Feeling much better today, work was a brilliant distraction for me.
    nesf wrote: »
    Not doing so well, too anxious to post much online, I expect to get into nasty fights if I do (observe the first post in several days here). :(

Not much I can say except, mind yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭jammstarr

Work was a brilliant distraction for me.

Good to hear that man. I used to find work an absolute torture - granted it was a call centre gig which isn't great for the anxiety.

Mood is fine, just keep having constant flashbacks of stupid/dumb/bad stuff I've done in the past. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

Today was day five of feeling especially crappy. I couldn't even sit and watch a movie with my parents. I ended up feigning sleep and took an early night. College was dire. I'm hoping it was just a bad first day and not a sign of how the semester will turn out.

• Advertisement

Cross posting for effect:

http://psychcentral.com/lib/2012/social-support-is-critical-for-depression-recovery/

Read this. It's about the importance of social support (like this thread) in depression.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Not feeling good at all

Feeling better today after an extremely lousy evening. Good nights sleep helped a lot.

I know what triggered my panic attack and then when that second fear hit I just couldn't get control back. I timed it from the messages I was sending to people, lasted about 40 minutes so my longest one yet.

I had the fear all evening then of a repeat and was thinking I need to get some medication for this and all these worst case scenarios. Now I can see that it was probably a once off. I have had some big changes in my life lately and I guess it just all came on top of me.

I know what triggered it and I've taken measures to keep that worry out of my mind for the next few days because I have tests and papers due. And if it keeps affecting me I will consider a more serious course of action to cut this trigger out of my life.

Gonna make an appointment with the college counselor when I have more time next week. Been meaning to for a month now.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Rosiestar

I haven't been on in a while, not been doing too good. Last week (Wed) I was put on steroids (40mg) for a bad chest infection and they have been playing havoc with my moods (am Schizoaffective) and I really am all over the place from a short lasting soaring high to crashing lows, which is where I'm at right now.

I will finish the streoids on Friday thank God and just hope the depression doesn't linger which it no doubt will as I have treatment resistant depression releived only by ECT. Just a bad day.

Very low at times today.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

If you were to go to your GP and say you're so depressed that you felt like killing yourself last week what would they do? Can they send you to hospital if you don't want to go? Even if the danger has passed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Glad to hear you're feeling better today PP, and *hugs* for rosiestar and nesf.

I got some bad news yesterday, which lowered my already precarious mood >.< Still quite upset about it tbh, although I know I am overreacting.

Does anyone else find that their food intake influences their mood? I've an extremely disordered relationship with food and eating, and I think it's one of the reasons my depression is still quite strong. It's really annoying though as no matter how much I talk about it in therapy, nothing seems to work. Even little goals like having breakfast three mornings a week is impossible for me to reach it seems.

I just want out !

If you were to go to your GP and say you're so depressed that you felt like killing yourself last week what would they do? Can they send you to hospital if you don't want to go? Even if the danger has passed?

Go see a doctor. Seriously, forget worrying about hospital, just see someone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I am going to my doctor. I just want to know is it a bad idea to say that or just to say that Im depressed. I have a 2 year old so I cant leave him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement