Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

My doctor can put me on a long wait list for free councelling, which I will do when I see her at the end of the month.

If you don't like your councellor you prob won't get much from it. The first councellor I had I hated and just couldnt' talk to her. I remember she asked me "How does it feel to be worried?" Seriously! I just wanted comfortable but I found the right councellor for me and got on really well. Now I'm just in a bit of a long slump again and I think councelling would be good for to deal with the new things in my life

tikkaman wrote: »

can i ask whats your biggest fear in all this mess we're all in...?
    have you tried to tackle it....

are you normally a confident person...? are you married/ single/ engaged/
    QUOTE]

My biggest fear is that I'll never be "cured" as I'd like to call it, like to have "relapses" or whatever you say. I tried recently to come off my meds. I'm now on half my original dose and things are not going well for me, I'm seeing my doctor at the end of the month and I think I may have to go back to my old dose. But I really don't want to have to be on medication for my whole life. I worry that it's going to affect my whole life. I'm only 20 now and so don't really have to make any serious commtments to jobs/ family or whatnot, but I am scared that I'll never be able to.

I think I'm a fake confident person. I try to come off like I am but inside I'm a mess. People will tell you I'm not one to care what other people think, but I really do! People think I'm confident because of the way I dress and keep myself well, but really I do that to hide all my insecurities about my looks. I'm single at the moment and I don't know if I'll ever find someone while I'm such an emotional wreck! Who would want to spend so much time with me while I'm like this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

i'm 34....

i'm happy or at least was with my own company, but i had a few very close friends, and one fell out and then others joined him basically,
    after he told a few yarns along the way.....

so i don't have that many CLOSE friends now... and will be guarded about who i do trust....

I wouldn't blame you, with things having worked out like that.
    can i ask whats your biggest fear in all this mess we're all in...?
    have you tried to tackle it....

are you normally a confident person...? are you married/ single/ engaged/

i hope your getting near to your goals for getting better...

I don't know that I have a fear really. at least nothing i'm aware of.

I'm confident in some ways, and not at all in others. single.in the middle of moving out of the apartment me and my ex were sharing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭strongbluebell

Just feeling a bit sad and lonely tonight and wondering will things ever get better. I've been moderately depressed for quite a while, have good patches sometimes but they don't last.
    I've lost most of my friends over the years. i think maybe because I find it so hard to trust others.
    I know the answer lies with me, that I have to make myself better but hard to keep any motivation going.
    I find it so hard to have any hope for the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭C_Dawg

My biggest fear is that I'll never be "cured" as I'd like to call it, like to have "relapses" or whatever you say.

I find that a huge worry here. It's like the fear of fear. I'm afraid that my doctor will change my meds as I have a really bad withdrawal. I'm afraid to return to work incase I flip out again and have to go home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I wouldn't blame you, with things having worked out like that.

I don't know that I have a fear really. at least nothing i'm aware of.

I'm confident in some ways, and not at all in others. single.in the middle of moving out of the apartment me and my ex were sharing.

I get the feeling you're asking people about their CBT experiences. I'm not sure what emotional problem you're suffering from but it helped me hugely with OCD and Panic (nearly instantly after two or three sessions). Lingering anxiety is still with me nearly on a daily basis but I just say to myself "Fcuk it, it's only adreneline, and I'm still gonna have a fantastic day and do whatever the hell I want!". When I truly beleive that the anxiety just disapears

Read a fantastic book 'Cognitive Behavioural Therapy for Dummies'. I bought it in Easons on O Connell st. Brilliant read! Give it a read if you're interested in CBT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Love_Game

Being lurky through this post awhile now, but only posted one I think.

I have GAD, and most days I think to myself ''Will I ever get better'', and I'm constantly thinking and criticizing myself for getting like this.

I have my first appointment with one of the head psychiatrists in St Martha's Mental Health day services, I'm on the medical card and was surprised at how quick I got it. Just hope that it does me some good.

Is anyone in a relationship and fear that with your problems its going to go bad? That's the way I feel now, I'm with my BF 3 years now and hes very supported but confused as I was never like this. It all came to a head at the start of Summer :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

When did it all start for you guys? I've felt like this for as long as I can remember. I know I've felt like this since I was 11 I'm not sure whether it goes further back or not. Of course I didn't know what it was until a few years ago. People used to think i was quiet or shy or just a bit strange. I guess it's easier to deal with now that i know what it is. In a way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

My biggest fear is that I'll never be "cured" as I'd like to call it, like to have "relapses" or whatever you say. I tried recently to come off my meds. I'm now on half my original dose and things are not going well for me, I'm seeing my doctor at the end of the month and I think I may have to go back to my old dose.

stop trying to come off the meds, it will only increase your anxiety. stay on them for as long as you need tem

This fear of relapse is actually supporting your anxiety as you're anxious about anxiety. This in itself is a factor. Once you learn to live and think positively (yes! positively!) about your anxiety it tends to fade away after a few weeks. The mental fear circuit is re-wired during GAD. Look at your GAD like a child who is afraid of the dark. You know that the fear itself is completely illogical but it's difficult for you to convince the child that there is nothing to fear in the dark but (to quote a brilliant president) but fear itself which is what is going on with a lot of you.

Let's look at some facts:

- What you're worried about is properly too rigid and unrealistic
    - The physical sensations are being interpreted by you as anxiety when in fact it could well be another emotion (when I'm excited I get sweaty palms and recently when I'm excited it immeditately converts to anxiety - wrong thinking, bud!)

Try to challenge your worries in very logical, factual terms. You'll still feel anxious afterward, but that's because it's a primitive chemical that will stay in your system for awhile. Ignore it and realise that like every emotion it is not going to be with you forever. Anxiety is an emotion as well as a physical sensation. It CAN'T stay forever but it can be persistant in how often it comes, like depression. So basically put up with it and get yourselves to a CBT. Seriously, don't bother with meds.

I will always have GAD. No big deal. Why would it be? I'm a worrier. So what? From now on, when it becomes a problem, I'll spend a day going over my CBT training and re-evaluate the situation. I will relapse, maybe even today! But I know how to work through it efficiently and productively.

Guys, all meds do is give you a chance to realise that there is nothing to be anxious about by dampening your emotions. They work, but you can do this through challenging yourself. My big thing was have Cerax in my pocket at all times. Yesterday I had an interview for a big job and I wanted to have my Cerax with me - but i didn't. Yes, I got anxious at the interview, I blushed, sweated and may have came across as a bit nervous... Big friggin deal! I'm sure most other people were even more nervous. Doubt the boss even realised. Get rid of your safety behaviours!

• Advertisement

This fear of relapse is actually supporting your anxiety as you're anxious about anxiety. This in itself is a factor. Once you learn to live and think positively (yes! positively!) about your anxiety it tends to fade away after a few weeks. The mental fear circuit is re-wired during GAD. Look at your GAD like a child who is afraid of the dark. You know that the fear itself is completely illogical but it's difficult for you to convince the child that there is nothing to fear in the dark but (to quote a brilliant president) but fear itself which is what is going on with a lot of you.

Let's look at some facts:

- What you're worried about is properly too rigid and unrealistic
    - The physical sensations are being interpreted by you as anxiety when in fact it could well be another emotion (when I'm excited I get sweaty palms and recently when I'm excited it immeditately converts to anxiety - wrong thinking, bud!)

Try to challenge your worries in very logical, factual terms. You'll still feel anxious afterward, but that's because it's a primitive chemical that will stay in your system for awhile. Ignore it and realise that like every emotion it is not going to be with you forever. Anxiety is an emotion as well as a physical sensation. It CAN'T stay forever but it can be persistant in how often it comes, like depression. So basically put up with it and get yourselves to a CBT. Seriously, don't bother with meds.

I will always have GAD. No big deal. Why would it be? I'm a worrier. So what? From now on, when it becomes a problem, I'll spend a day going over my CBT training and re-evaluate the situation. I will relapse, maybe even today! But I know how to work through it efficiently and productively.

Guys, all meds do is give you a chance to realise that there is nothing to be anxious about by dampening your emotions. They work, but you can do this through challenging yourself. My big thing was have Cerax in my pocket at all times. Yesterday I had an interview for a big job and I wanted to have my Cerax with me - but i didn't. Yes, I got anxious at the interview, I blushed, sweated and may have came across as a bit nervous... Big friggin deal! I'm sure most other people were even more nervous. Doubt the boss even realised. Get rid of your safety behaviours!

how can you say dont bother with meds when you take them yourself :-)

mickman wrote: »

stop trying to come off the meds, it will only increase your anxiety. stay on them for as long as you need tem

But I don't want to stay on them forever. I was doing really great, that why I started to lower my dose. Actually your comment here kinda struck a chord with me, maybe the reasson I've been feeling so low lately is because of fear of coming off them. I'm making myself feel like this so I feel I can't stop taking them, when maybe I can, if this makes any sense!
    phi3 wrote: »
    When did it all start for you guys? I've felt like this for as long as I can remember. I know I've felt like this since I was 11 I'm not sure whether it goes further back or not. Of course I didn't know what it was until a few years ago. People used to think i was quiet or shy or just a bit strange. I guess it's easier to deal with now that i know what it is. In a way.

I guess I was always pretty low and distant when I was a teenager but I thought that was how teenagers are. I didnt get help till I moved away to college and I thought there must be a medical reason for why I never could get out of bed or have the energy to go to class or do anything. When the doctor started asking questions about my family and feeling and stuff I didn't really know why. But I do feel more in control knowing that this isn't how I have to be and that there are things I can do to feel better

phi3 wrote: »
    When did it all start for you guys?

I got a full blown panic attack shortly after I turned 18 and have pretty much been like this forever since.
    I guess I was always pretty low and distant when I was a teenager but I thought that was how teenagers are.

I was the very same. Back then I could mingle with people grand when out and about but when I'd head home the doom and gloom would seep in.

mickman wrote: »
    how can you say dont bother with meds when you take them yourself :-)

You're misinterpreting what I said, maybe I was unclear. I liked to have Cerax WITH me (in my pocket) but I have a month's perscription in my drawer and I've taken none of it - so no, I don't take meds. Also, I'm more talking about anti-depressants which can be hugely effective, but you can get the same results with some work.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

You're misinterpreting what I said, maybe I was unclear. I liked to have Cerax WITH me (in my pocket) but I have a month's perscription in my drawer and I've taken none of it - so no, I don't take meds. Also, I'm more talking about anti-depressants which can be hugely effective, but you can get the same results with some work.

Not all people can get the same results "with some work". Some people who suffer from depression actually need to take medication due to an imbalance in the brain. It is really wrong to suggest anyone should stop taking medication. Plus, in a lot of cases, over-coming depression is due to both therapy and medication. Sometimes the medication can up your mood, or balance your mood and so enable you to do that little bit of work you need to do to feel better.

Novella wrote: »
    Not all people can get the same results "with some work". Some people who suffer from depression actually need to take medication due to an imbalance in the brain. It is really wrong to suggest anyone should stop taking medication. Plus, in a lot of cases, over-coming depression is due to both therapy and medication. Sometimes the medication can up your mood, or balance your mood and so enable you to do that little bit of work you need to do to feel better.

exactly. they go hand in hand

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭kaki

Hi guys, first time posting in this thread so I guess I'll introduce myself first (sorry if this is all a bit long).

I'm Katie, 20, and had a pretty ****ty year (I was living in Italy studying a course I hated, and had a very small support network over there, had some relationship issues with my boyfriend who I'm living with over there, my grandad developed cancer, my dad who's diabetic isn't taking care of himself to the point where he was in one car crash due to fatigue, and hospitalised twice due to infected feet, and my parents are divorcing, and I have other issues from my childhood etc). I went to my GP at the start of the summer when I returned from Italy, thinking that the contraeceptive pill I had started had ****ed up my moods, or that I'd developed diabetes, or cancer or something awful, only to be diagnosed with moderate depression (and stress induced IBS). It was a big shock in itself, and I was in denial for a week or so, not wanting to take the meds (Lexapro), trying to convince myself I didn't need counselling.

Now, whether it's a case of the medication working, having the chance to reflect on and take stock of my life, voice resentment against my family, exercise, whatever, I don't know, but I do know that I feel miles better since I was diagnosed in July. I've decided to drop out of that course, move back to Turin with my boyfriend work part time as an english teacher, and study part time for a degree in Art Design with the Open University. At the advice of my counseller I want to stay on the Lexapro till next summer at least (the rule about taking it for as long as you've been feeling ****ty to get your brain chemistry back to normal levels, then take it for another 2-3 months to give you a little boost beyond normal, then wean off).

My question is this: As I'll be over there in Italy until Christmas I wanted to get at least a 4 month supply to bring with me, but my Mum told me that to be covered by the DPS I have to fill the prescription once per month. Is there some way to get the prescription filled whilst I'm over in Turin in an Italian pharmacy to be covered by the DPS? Can I get my doctor to write me a note to let me get a 4 month supply under the DPS? As I'm taking 10mg at the moment, could my GP give me a 40mg prescription and I could split the pills myself? Could my mum fill out my prescription, and then send the medication over to me? I'm asking because I'm due to go back on the 21st of September, and I don't have the 200 euro free to pay for the Lexapro up front. Generic meds bought online would be bad news, I'm assuming.

Thanks in advance for any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

kaki wrote: »
    Hi guys, first time posting in this thread so I guess I'll introduce myself first (sorry if this is all a bit long).

I'm Katie, 20, and had a pretty ****ty year (I was living in Italy studying a course I hated, and had a very small support network over there, had some relationship issues with my boyfriend who I'm living with over there, my grandad developed cancer, my dad who's diabetic isn't taking care of himself to the point where he was in one car crash due to fatigue, and hospitalised twice due to infected feet, and my parents are divorcing, and I have other issues from my childhood etc). I went to my GP at the start of the summer when I returned from Italy, thinking that the contraeceptive pill I had started had ****ed up my moods, or that I'd developed diabetes, or cancer or something awful, only to be diagnosed with moderate depression (and stress induced IBS). It was a big shock in itself, and I was in denial for a week or so, not wanting to take the meds (Lexapro), trying to convince myself I didn't need counselling.

Now, whether it's a case of the medication working, having the chance to reflect on and take stock of my life, voice resentment against my family, exercise, whatever, I don't know, but I do know that I feel miles better since I was diagnosed in July. I've decided to drop out of that course, move back to Turin with my boyfriend work part time as an english teacher, and study part time for a degree in Art Design with the Open University. At the advice of my counseller I want to stay on the Lexapro till next summer at least (the rule about taking it for as long as you've been feeling ****ty to get your brain chemistry back to normal levels, then take it for another 2-3 months to give you a little boost beyond normal, then wean off).

My question is this: As I'll be over there in Italy until Christmas I wanted to get at least a 4 month supply to bring with me, but my Mum told me that to be covered by the DPS I have to fill the prescription once per month. Is there some way to get the prescription filled whilst I'm over in Turin in an Italian pharmacy to be covered by the DPS? Can I get my doctor to write me a note to let me get a 4 month supply under the DPS? As I'm taking 10mg at the moment, could my GP give me a 40mg prescription and I could split the pills myself? Could my mum fill out my prescription, and then send the medication over to me? I'm asking because I'm due to go back on the 21st of September, and I don't have the 200 euro free to pay for the Lexapro up front. Generic meds bought online would be bad news, I'm assuming.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I believe it would be above board and legal for your mother to change the script and have them posted to you. However, I would suggest you find out about getting them over there as it may be cheper to do so. I know a lot of people who get all their meds in Spain, as its much cheaper. I would imagine it would be the same in Italy.

Best of luck with your therapy.

I've had a horribly rough few weeks. For a time last night I felt so sh!t I had really just given up. Other people make me feel this way.

I've had to find a house to live in. Move all my stuff. Deal with not living with my ex anymore. Try to make an effort with my new housemate. Deal with a major problem with new housemate. The most hurtful thing has been realising someone has been a prick to me and been lying to me, someone that I kinda liked. He's made me feel like I'm worthless. 'i'm not ready for a relationship' and then talks about a girl he wanted to get the number of. What exactly is so wrong with my personality that makes me not girlfriend material.

I've had a very stressful time with the dentist, and then having to confront my housemate gave me a pain in my heart. And now that that's all been dealt with I still have to face finding another new place to live, and trying to pick myself up yet again after being treated like a piece of sh!t by yet another person.

On top of all this I am constantly aware and brought down by the fact that there's something wrong with me that means I just can't get on with people and I am probably never going to have friends.

I had a moment last night where I thought this really is it, I've got nothing. And i don't know what it is that has got me even able to stop crying for long enough that I can write this and watch tv, and get on with things, but I don't expect it will last long.

I'm feeling a lot of pressure to go back to work off my family but I just can't face going back there. All this sh!t will just end up happening again.

• Advertisement

Sounds like you just have crappy people in your life! People who are just mean and dramatic bring you down, you don't need that extra stress. I've done the hard thing of basically cutting one of my best friends out of my life. Its been a little lonely but I do feel at the moment I have too much to deal with, with myself, than to be dealing with all the bad things she does to me.

I hate when you can't stop crying! Take a shower and put on comfy jammies and watch something hilarious!

C_Dawg wrote: »
    I'm feeling a lot of pressure to go back to work off my family but I just can't face going back there. All this sh!t will just end up happening again.

Do you think you'll ever not be scared though?

Do you think you'll ever not be scared though?

I've been anxious to some degree for 7 years, I've never been able to switch it off. I got the blues really bad about 14 months ago and I've been off work since then. I'm at a stage now where more often than not I'm ok mood wise but I'm still very anxious. I fear going back to work will just result in another breakdown again.

Sounds like you just have crappy people in your life! People who are just mean and dramatic bring you down, you don't need that extra stress. I've done the hard thing of basically cutting one of my best friends out of my life. Its been a little lonely but I do feel at the moment I have too much to deal with, with myself, than to be dealing with all the bad things she does to me.

I hate when you can't stop crying! Take a shower and put on comfy jammies and watch something hilarious!

I was fairly down last night, and had family guy on, but when I'm like this nothing will take me out of it. the only thing I can do to feel not so sh!t is to sleep.

My problem is I dont have any people in my life and so I probably let people treat me a little too sh!t because I'm trying to give them the chance. I need people, friends, but it seems no one likes me, or there's just too much to not like about me.

I could've taken this better if he'd just been honest with me. but saying you're not ready to have a girlfriend and then talking about how you wanted a girls phone number..... he's just a pr!ck. I know I don't need people like that. but is it really the people that are like that, or is it how people see fit to treat me???

I don't have the energy to keep going, to keep trying to make friends. but I also dont know how long I can continue to be this sad and lonely for. I want to have a reason to keep living but can't seem to find one.

I've been anxious to some degree for 7 years, I've never been able to switch it off. I got the blues really bad about 14 months ago and I've been off work since then. I'm at a stage now where more often than not I'm ok mood wise but I'm still very anxious. I fear going back to work will just result in another breakdown again.

I really dont mean this to sound harsh in a tone though it kinda does, but don't you think you need to start getting your life back on track? Not because people are pressuring you but for yourself. A lot of people fear relapsing into depression, and it might happen, but you shouldnt let it stop your life altogether. I recently passed the opportunity to leave the country cause I didn't think I could deal with the stress of it and I regret it, who know what could have come of it?

You shouldn't let this control and dictate your life

Nah not harsh at all. I know where you're coming from. I'd love to get my life back on track, I'd love to go back to college and get myself some good skills.

When I left work part of the reason I got upset was due to management fcuking me over with misinformation about a change my contract and role so going back will mean a re-continued confrontation.

Also I've only had one friend the last year, we met in work. But she's recently dumped me stating that I'm toxic. Going back to work will mean constant daily contact which will be very awkward to say the least.

I was fairly down last night, and had family guy on, but when I'm like this nothing will take me out of it. the only thing I can do to feel not so sh!t is to sleep.

My problem is I dont have any people in my life and so I probably let people treat me a little too sh!t because I'm trying to give them the chance. I need people, friends, but it seems no one likes me, or there's just too much to not like about me.

I could've taken this better if he'd just been honest with me. but saying you're not ready to have a girlfriend and then talking about how you wanted a girls phone number..... he's just a pr!ck. I know I don't need people like that. but is it really the people that are like that, or is it how people see fit to treat me???

I don't have the energy to keep going, to keep trying to make friends. but I also dont know how long I can continue to be this sad and lonely for. I want to have a reason to keep living but can't seem to find one.

He is horrible to say that! My last boyfriend dumped me cause he didn't want to be in a relationship. Few weeks later, he's dating new girls! Its just a cowardly excuse! And anyone would react badly to it.

I know you might think theres not much to like about yourself while you feel like this, but I bet if you were feeling better you can think of good things about yourself that others like. Its just hard right now!

I know its a bad thing to say, but if your really down when your with people, it will be hard for them to like you. I know this from being in a bad mood around people I know a lot. When I'm in a good mood my friends seem to love me. But when I get a bad period they dont talk to me much. I know I shouldnt blame them, I'm hard to be around but they should support the bad too?

Don't give up! Have you been in bad patched before and gotten through them? Cause this most likely will go away!

Nah not harsh at all. I know where you're coming from. I'd love to get my life back on track, I'd love to go back to college and get myself some good skills.

When I left work part of the reason I got upset was due to management fcuking me over with misinformation about a change my contract and role so going back will mean a re-continued confrontation.

Also I've only had one friend the last year, we met in work. But she's recently dumped me stating that I'm toxic. Going back to work will mean constant daily contact which will be very awkward to say the least.

Ok now I get where you are coming from! I also HATE my job and have cried in the bathroom way too many times recently and nearly quit a lot! The reason is management issues and STUPID CUSTOMERSand if it wasnt for lovely co-workers I'd have had a total breakdown too! I'm not sure if theres a solution to this one.

Oh the girl issue is a bad one too. Maybe try and make friends with her? I don't mean like good friends. I recently "made friends" with my ex, which means we don't ignore each other when I see him. I did this because we go to the same nightclubs and have mutual friends so it was basically just to get the awkwardness out of the way. Could you try and do this with her?

If we lived in better times I'd say find a new job, but I wont.....

We stopped hanging out about March and stopped talking about April. I tried to mend the friendship last week but I was shot down. I can't say that I blame her though, I'm very needy and clingy when I'm low.

Cheers for the advice all the same :)

• Advertisement

Then screw her! Don't ket one mean girl stopping you from going back to work.

And yeah I'm an expert at sorting lives out :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement