Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Melanna

Hi G-Money,

don't reduce the dose or stop taking the meds without talking to your doc. If you make a mistake you can have side effects months later. I'm speaking from experience. Also, if you don't need the meds anymore you should not feel the anxiety coming back when you reduce the dose. If you do, that's a sign you still need them or they don't work for you as they should. Again, talk to your doc.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Feeling ok today. I think talking with my boss and taking time off work has relieved a lot of stress from my shoulders. Really need to take time for me at the moment and I know not being in work for a while will most certainly help as will linking up with my counsellor.

But as I say, I'm feeling ok today and managed to drag myself out for a walk... even though I got pissed on. Stupid rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

G-Money wrote: »
    Anyone had experience coming off meds? Kinda decided myself the other day that I didn't want to be on them anymore and reduced my dose 3 days ago. This morning I skipped it altogether and in the afternoon I started getting really jumpy and anxious. In the end I took the reduce dose today when I hadn't planned to take it at all. Not a nice feeling.
    Tried this earlier in the year and it didn't end well. In fact, it was a disaster. Take the meds and if you want to get off them find a doc to help you. Much much safer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭ashblag

neemish wrote: »
    Ok-ish. Work is fine and everyone thinks I'm great. Anxiety levels are very high - not sleeping great and finding it hard to eat. I'm managing it. But wish I wasn't as edgy. I cannot WAIT to take something to help me sleep tonight. I think that a full night of uninterrupted sleep would be a big help

hi neemish hope you manage to get some sleep tonight, not sleeping sucks makes things seem 100times worse. xx

very weepy today seroquel not really working as well as I thought. Might just be a dosage issue....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Not having a good night tbh.

• Advertisement

ashblag wrote: »
    hi neemish hope you manage to get some sleep tonight, not sleeping sucks makes things seem 100times worse. xx

very weepy today seroquel not really working as well as I thought. Might just be a dosage issue....

Going to take seroquel to help...only need a tiny dose!
    Have tickets to the match on Sunday which is helping to lift my mood - nice to have something to look forward to :-)

Are you ok cloud?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Fairly down to be honest. Lot of stuff going on, my sisters sick so I've been checking on her every hour, she's very poorly :( yourself neemish?

So-so. Still very anxious. Glad it's the weekend and that I can get some rest. Wish I knew where all the anxiety is coming from - I feel like I'm drowning in it :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Thanks for the replies, going back to the normal dosage today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

G-Money wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies, going back to the normal dosage today.

Good luck xx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 jarmon

Hi everybody,
    I'm new here in Ireland and to the forum. It' looks like you are all very supportive of each other here which is great. I'm curious if anyone here has a recommendation for a good psychiatrist in Dublin. I'm looking for a private psychiatrist that I can make an appointment with rather than going the GP route. The GP said it was going to take up to 4 weeks to get an appointment and I'm suffering from major anxiety and panic attacks so, I need to get into someone right way.
    Basically, I got put on some new meds shortly before moving here from the US and they are not working at all.
    So, any recommendations would be helpful.

Thanks.

Bad day today anxiety is through the roof even though i haven't gone outside the door.
    Keep thinking about how am I ever going to be able to get back to a "normal" life or even a decent standard of living .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Bad day today anxiety is through the roof even though i haven't gone outside the door.
    Keep thinking about how am I ever going to be able to get back to a "normal" life or even a decent standard of living .

It's probably only going to be worse if you stay inside to be honest, dwelling on it (as your second sentence suggests).

Maybe try going out for a walk?

Best of luck guys taking myself off this. Hope you all find contentment x

Best of luck guys taking myself off this. Hope you all find contentment x
    For good?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 paddyopot

SAnx wrote: »
    I wonder is it easier for some one with SA to relate and make friends with some one suffering the same? what ye think?

i too find it extremely hard to make new friends, but i recently completed an anti anxiety course and i think everyone(6 people) found it very easy to talk and open up to each other. We got on so well that some kept in touch after the course was over. So i think it is much easier to talk to fellow sufferers.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

jarmon wrote: »
    Hi everybody,
    I'm new here in Ireland and to the forum. It' looks like you are all very supportive of each other here which is great. I'm curious if anyone here has a recommendation for a good psychiatrist in Dublin. I'm looking for a private psychiatrist that I can make an appointment with rather than going the GP route. The GP said it was going to take up to 4 weeks to get an appointment and I'm suffering from major anxiety and panic attacks so, I need to get into someone right way.
    Basically, I got put on some new meds shortly before moving here from the US and they are not working at all.
    So, any recommendations would be helpful.

Thanks.

Hi, welcome to the forum, this is the best website i can come up with for the moment http://www.psychotherapy-ireland.com/ i'm not a big fan of personal references since everyone is very different so i hope this will help as directory feels more scientific - best of luck and feel free to drop in here when you want..

Grem..

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jarmon

Hi Gremlinertia,
    Thanks for the link but, I only see therapists there. Which I'll be looking for as well but, right now I need a psychiatrist who can prescribe medication.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Don't know where you are based but ask for advice off local gp or hospital may be a way to go..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

Been on Lexapro and Clonactil for two months now. So far so good.

• Advertisement

jarmon wrote: »
    Hi Gremlinertia,
    Thanks for the link but, I only see therapists there. Which I'll be looking for as well but, right now I need a psychiatrist who can prescribe medication.
    You'll need a referral from a GP to see a psychiatrist, you can't just attend yourself.

But your GP can prescribe medication and tell you the best course of action for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Half one, I will get out of bed any minute now :p

Its hard to think of things to do to cheer up that don't involve spending any money :/

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Terence2727

Where do i start. Im a married man with two kids.im unemployed and find it tough not knowing if the situation will change. I've being feeling very low lately for a while now . i find it hard to express how i am feeling to my wife at times,i love her to pieces but seem to ignore her in times like this ,i cry for no reason when she's not around when feel low.i feel useless , worthless , unimportant , i don't what my place is in this world. what's the best medical drugs that could help me change my moods. hate feeling like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

Where do i start. Im a married man with two kids.im unemployed and find it tough not knowing if the situation will change. I've being feeling very low lately for a while now . i find it hard to express how i am feeling to my wife at times,i love her to pieces but seem to ignore her in times like this ,i cry for no reason when she's not around when feel low.i feel useless , worthless , unimportant , i don't what my place is in this world. what's the best medical drugs that could help me change my moods. hate feeling like this.

Hi Terence. Can I just say that having two kids is the best kind of medicine that you can have. I know being unemployed would get you down, but things will pick up, there is lots of people in the same boat. Talk to your wife and be honest with your feelings, you'll find she will understand what your going through. You are not worthless nor unimportant, so get them thoughts out of your head. Your place in the world is as a husband and a father to those two kids. Try and turn this to your advantage, at least for the time that you are unemployed, like spending a lot of time with the kids, bring them for walks, bring them to the park etc. Whatever ya do, dont ever put yourself down. Things will pick up. Also, dont be afraid to ask for help, theres lots of good people out there. So, chin up, and ya dont need drugs, also remember how valuable you are to your wife and kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Terence2727

darkhorse wrote: »

Hi Terence. Can I just say that having two kids is the best kind of medicine that you can have. I know being unemployed would get you down, but things will pick up, there is lots of people in the same boat. Talk to your wife and be honest with your feelings, you'll find she will understand what your going through. You are not worthless nor unimportant, so get them thoughts out of your head. Your place in the world is as a husband and a father to those two kids. Try and turn this to your advantage, at least for the time that you are unemployed, like spending a lot of time with the kids, bring them for walks, bring them to the park etc. Whatever ya do, dont ever put yourself down. Things will pick up. Also, dont be afraid to ask for help, theres lots of good people out there. So, chin up, and ya dont need drugs, also remember how valuable you are to your wife and kids.
    Thanks darkhorse ,
    I've booked an appointment for Tuesday . this has being going on a while ,years,its really starting to hit home that i need to do something ,being unemployed doesn't help. im not great company , i feel i can't talk and sometimes rather be alone by myself to try think things through which gets me nowhere . i just try and keep things to myself because i don't want a fuss made and don't want it rubbing of on my wife. feel better today at least. tends to be a lot worse when i drink,i wouldn't be a heavy and regular drinker. once a month .thanks for the reply..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

Hi everybody, I've been feeling really down the past while, I've been long term sick, physically and it's really effecting me now.

That feeling of being useless and not able to contribute to society.

I spoke to my doctor and now I'm on Valdoxin, a fairly new medication for depression. I've been on it since May.

Do you think I should just continue on the medication or maybe talk to someone aswell?

I'm sure the tablets have kicked in by now but I don't know would a counsellor help me also. What are your experiences with counsellors?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

This weekend and last week has been the worst I've ever felt. Every spare minute I have had, I've spent crying or staring blankly at a wall. Zero motivation and I'm finding it hard to care about anything. Very annoyed with everything.

I got me a prescription for Atavan today for anxiety. It's just 5 pills to help me through some stuff I gotta do. Hopefully won't need anything more long term. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I got me a prescription for Atavan today for anxiety. It's just 5 pills to help me through some stuff I gotta do. Hopefully won't need anything more long term. :)

Oh Princess! :( ....please do try and not having things long term, pills can help short term but can create the very things/symptoms over the long term.

In an ideal word we wouldn't need a pill, humans dealt with shiite far worse for thousands of years without pills, mabye find other ways to deal with the anxiety or what's causing the stress, wishing you the best :)

• Advertisement

I've been taking daily pills for a few years now :p Just got something extra to help me through some things I have to do :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement