Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

http://www.aware.ie/

I'm sure most of you are "aware" of this already but might help someone. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I went to my GP because I've been feeling very depresed for the past few months now and I have an awful family history when it comes to mental illness.

GP referred me to my community mental health clinic and I went there earlier today with the letter he gave me.The girl behind the desk said that they get around 30 similar referral letters a day and that they'll write to me when they can give me an appointment.

Would anybody be able to roughly estimate how long I could be waiting?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

DFB87 wrote: »
    I went to my GP because I've been feeling very depresed for the past few months now and I have an awful family history when it comes to mental illness.

GP referred me to my community mental health clinic and I went there earlier today with the letter he gave me.The girl behind the desk said that they get around 30 similar referral letters a day and that they'll write to me when they can give me an appointment.

Thanks.

not being smart, but the best person to ask is the girl you spoke to... all clinics differ in what their waiting times are, it depends on number of referrals, urgency of them and how many new patients they can see each week

ring/call in and ask her for an estimate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Thanks.

For fúck sakes, your doctor is a lazy git. Go to another GP if you dont feel that you have been given enough time and consideration.

Got a letter today from the community mental health clinic after only handing my referral into them yesterday,and I have an apointment there next week.

Very impressed with the quickness,thought I would be waiting ages!

• Advertisement

Got a letter today from the community mental health clinic after only handing my referral into them yesterday,and I have an apointment there next week.

Very impressed with the quickness,thought I would be waiting ages!

good to hear that

thanks for coming back to update the thread, all too often people are only vocal about negative experiences with the health services and keep quiet about positive ones!

best of luck with your assessment and treatment

I read this thread sometimes and finally Ive decided to get the courage to write on it. I was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice, ive been feeling depressed most of this year. Think ive had it a lot longer but a lot of things happened in my life this year (two examples : One of my best friends died suddenly this year, and a few wks later my boyfriend of five years moved back home to his own country) so Ive been feeling very depressed also ive been suffering from a lot of stress . Ive been seeing a counsellor for all this for a few months and spoke to my doc a while back but still Im not feeling much better. I really dont want to be taking anti depressants unless I have to but I dont know what else to do now. I feel on edge all the times and the smallest thing and work or in my personal life totally stresses me out. Im at the stage now where I just feel like i cant cope with my job anymore (I work in an office where I am under pressure most days) and many days I come home with aches in my chest or severe tension in my body and so worn out. Im a single mother have a 8yr old daughter and Im not the mother I should be to her as I am just feeling too down. I really dont know what to do any more. I do want to go back to the way I was before and be the girl and the mother that I was. My family dont seem to believe me when I say Im feeling depressed they just tell me to pull myself together!Sorry if I am rambling on but I dont know what to do. Any advice? I feel like I should take time out of work and sort myself out but I dont know if thats a good idea.

anyadvice? wrote: »
    I read this thread sometimes and finally Ive decided to get the courage to write on it. I was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice, ive been feeling depressed most of this year. Think ive had it a lot longer but a lot of things happened in my life this year (two examples : One of my best friends died suddenly this year, and a few wks later my boyfriend of five years moved back home to his own country) so Ive been feeling very depressed also ive been suffering from a lot of stress . Ive been seeing a counsellor for all this for a few months and spoke to my doc a while back but still Im not feeling much better. I really dont want to be taking anti depressants unless I have to but I dont know what else to do now. I feel on edge all the times and the smallest thing and work or in my personal life totally stresses me out. Im at the stage now where I just feel like i cant cope with my job anymore (I work in an office where I am under pressure most days) and many days I come home with aches in my chest or severe tension in my body and so worn out. Im a single mother have a 8yr old daughter and Im not the mother I should be to her as I am just feeling too down. I really dont know what to do any more. I do want to go back to the way I was before and be the girl and the mother that I was. My family dont seem to believe me when I say Im feeling depressed they just tell me to pull myself together!Sorry if I am rambling on but I dont know what to do. Any advice? I feel like I should take time out of work and sort myself out but I dont know if thats a good idea.

I'm not sure there's any easy solution. Maybe your daughter could act as a kind of counceller. Or anti-depressant. I don't know much about kids but people seem to find them uplifting. I'm not sure about taking time off work. It would depend what you're going to be doing in the free time. But in general i find routine is your friend. Maybe one day off just for a break from the stress.
    But basically i don't know. Sorry for talking rubbish!

Going unreg here.

I definitely think I suffer from some sort of anxiety disorder. I've always been a worrier for as long as I can remember, I remember growing up my mother telling me to stop worrying so much.

Recently though I've been thinking I've got some sort of anxiety disorder. I find myself getting very tense at times for no real reason. I also can get very fidgety and uncomfortable when this happens. I can't sit still and my brain goes into overdrive thinking about it and it just makes me more restless and fidgety.

I've noticed that it seems to happen a lot at work when I'm at lunch in our canteen. About a year ago I was eating my lunch and I went to take a drink and for some reason I wasn't ready to swallow the drink or something and it was like I couldn't swallow it. It caught me completely by surprise, like my brain was ceasing up. For the rest of the meal I was feeling a bit uptight about it and I could feel my throat getting tight when I went to drink.

For a few days I thought it was something I was eating that was causing the reaction. But then it dawned on me that it was all in my head. It almost always happens when I'm in our canteen at work and never really at any other time. When I'm at home watching TV, I could knock back a full glass of water without even thinking about it. But when I'm at the canteen at work at lunch, I start to get tense and it's like I have to focus and force the drink down. Yet the fact that it's all in my head, I still can't seem to shake it off.

A similar thing happened at my friends wedding a few months ago. The day was going fine but during the meal I started to feel very uncomfortable and warm. Then the fidgety and nervous feeling came over me and I couldn't sit still. Eventually the dinner was over and I just had to get out of the room and once I did, I was grand and relaxed.

It's a weird thing. I don't know what triggers this happening and I can't seem to shake it off, I usually just have to sit and let it take it's course which could be anywhere from 30 to 45 minutes.

I also get this mad worries in my head about work, my health, everything and sometimes it just seems too much and like I'm going insane.

Anyway I'm going to my doctor soon about something else although I'm wondering if it's related to this as I think it's a symptom of anxiety.

I just wanted to post here to see if anyone else is the same way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭SparrowTown

Goingur wrote: »
    . It almost always happens when I'm in our canteen at work and never really at any other time. When I'm at home watching TV, I could knock back a full glass of water without even thinking about it. But when I'm at the canteen at work at lunch, I start to get tense and it's like I have to focus and force the drink down. Yet the fact that it's all in my head, I still can't seem to shake it off...

...........It's a weird thing. I don't know what triggers this happening and I can't seem to shake it off
    , the possibility that in work you are being observed. i had a friend whose wife would not go into a restrauarant for a cup of tea after an outing. she did not like being watched eating
    I also get this mad worries in my head about work, my health, everything and sometimes it just seems too much and like I'm going insane.
    have you considered gad

this is not medical advice and i have no qualifications
    in medicine

• Advertisement

How i feel is ruining everything. My social life, my working life, my trying to improve my life, my sex life. Everything. Every day theres another problem and when i look for the causes of it it always comes back to depression and anxiety. I don't want to give everything, but I REALLY want to give everything up... if that makes sense. I'm not sure how much more of it I can take. I just want to be happy. I want to be able to do normal everyday things. That most people don't think twice about. I think it's getting worse again. I don't think I can take that. It just makes life pointless. Life with depression is not a life. And for me at least, never will be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭C_Dawg

phi3 wrote: »
    I REALLY want to give everything up. I'm not sure how much more of it I can take. I just want to be happy. Life with depression is not a life. And for me at least, never will be.

Hi Phi3,

I gave up everything about 14 months back when I called in sick to work. Now I'm stuck in a right hole. I'm too afraid to go back to work, too afraid to get another job. Looking back on it staying out of work sick for so long was probably a mistake but at the time I really couldn't face people in there and was my only option.

I've tried the whole think positive thing but that just gets me even more worked up.

A big thing I worry about is being thought of as a faker. Like I'm very on edge whenever I leave the house. Externally I look grand but I'm sweating and on the inside I'm on the verge of freaking out. I'm so paranoid of someone from work seeing me and thinking I'm taking the p!ss being out sick.

I'm starting to ramble now. I had a point to make when I started this post. Giving up everything can seem ok initially but it can become a personal Hell in time. Probably not a great point.

, the possibility that in work you are being observed. i had a friend whose wife would not go into a restrauarant for a cup of tea after an outing. she did not like being watched eating
    have you considered gad

this is not medical advice and i have no qualifications
    in medicine

What happened with your friends wife? Did she ever get over it?

Goingur wrote: »
    What happened with your friends wife? Did she ever get over it?
    I am not sure, I have not seen him a long time. How i found out was on one st patricks day i met him at parade and he said they could not go for a meal in a restaurant after as she would not eat in public. So i don't know if she changed

Hey guys,

I'm just wondering is it possibly to suffer from anxiety and panic attacks without actually having any panicy or negative thoughts? I am getting many physical symptoms of panic attacks and stress, yet when they come on it could literally be while I am enjoying myself with friends and am not thinking anything bad. I never worry excessively and after reading through the thread,it seems that a lot of sufferers are huge worriers about day to day tasks or meeting up with people, which doesn't apply to me whatsoever.

I'm really confused about this, would be great to hear some feedback!

Hey guys,

I'm just wondering is it possibly to suffer from anxiety and panic attacks without actually having any panicy or negative thoughts? I am getting many physical symptoms of panic attacks and stress, yet when they come on it could literally be while I am enjoying myself with friends and am not thinking anything bad. I never worry excessively and after reading through the thread,it seems that a lot of sufferers are huge worriers about day to day tasks or meeting up with people, which doesn't apply to me whatsoever.

In my case and it seems a few others here, it's social anxiety i have.... among other things! But that's the type of anxiety that means i panic about having to talk to people. or having to eat in front of people. or having to talk on the phone. But that's just one type of anxiety. So you probably just have a different type. (Just my opinion.)

Hey guys,

to my knowledge sure they can come unbidden or at least in response to soemthing you are not consciously aware of.

But you should check with doctor. many physical illnesses can mimic symptoms of anxiety including overactive thyroid gland for example. not medical advice see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limited_symptom_attack

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭thrilledskinny

i-digress wrote: »
    In relation to myself, does anyone else feel that they were born with hypersensitive emotions? Setbacks and failures that other people seem to shrug off easily, I take very much to heart. I'm my own worst enemy, I beat myself up for everything.

I wonder if those of us who are prone to depression feel everything a bit more.

Just like Princess Peach I totally feel like this.

Definately think we are more sensitive, more vulnerable and take things more to heart. We are not as selfish or self centred as others.

I think at times we wear our brains out thinking about things and thats how we end up so tired all the time or every so often end up out of work.

I have been reading this thread but never posted before even though i've been tempted to because i agree so much with a lot of things that have been said. I've got a lot of hope from the posts on this thread.

BTW Phi dont give up, things can and do get better... no matter how bad things can be.... i know its exhausting and hard to live in with...but the sun always shines again...

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭thrilledskinny

anyadvice? wrote: »

Just the way you say 'you just want to go back to the way you were before' sounds very familar...ask your doctors and councillors advice but work and every little thing will stress you more if you are depressed, so maybe so as to make life a little bit easier for yourself you could take some time off work, you could spend more time with your daughter, get out and about and exercise etc, these things would hopefully start to help you feel better. As for meds...as the doctors say 'if you had heart problems would you take heart medication so you could feel as energetic as you were before?' life's too short as it is to suffer, and it willl take long enough for you to get better even with meds, so why suffer any more than you have to..only you can know whats the matter with you and you seem to know you need time out from work etc...if you dont help yourself no one else will....best of luck with it.....

Hey guys,

you really should speak to your doctor about this, as tehre are a number of physical conditions which could cause symptoms like this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭George Orwell 1982

Anyone else exhausted tired at the moment? I think the dark days and winter closing in is making it worse. I find it almost impossible to get out of bed in the mornings.

Anyone else exhausted tired at the moment? I think the dark days and winter closing in is making it worse. I find it almost impossible to get out of bed in the mornings.

Yeah i'm pretty much always tired. But it is harder getting up in the dark cold weather

Was prescribed serlan on monday and feel out of my head most of the time,was hoping things would settle down quickly but they haven't,am upping my dose to 100mg a day from tomorrow(as per docs instructions) so they probably wont for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

I'm very tired all the time. I don't feel too tired when I'm in my dads house, but when I go over to my sisters house I start yawning and needing to go to sleep straight away. I think for me its the day light that stings my eyes and makes me need to sleep. though at the same time I think the earlier evenings are going to start getting to me soon.

I've always been like this, always felt constantly tired. I've gone to the doctor about it a few times, got everything tested for, and nothing. so I think I'll have to put up with it for life.

My family aren't understanding about it at all, and just say things like I sleep for too long, or i'm not active enough (:confused:).

anyway, rant over :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

Yes, less light causes more melatonin to be released and we evolved to sleep more during winter months. Try buying a SAD light with a high lux of 10000.Use it in evening and morning . People who are prone to mood/anxiety issues can also have a seasonal element on top of normal probs.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

I'm recovering from a serious bout of depression at the moment.

To those who aren't sure what to do/have been stuck for a while, I'd always recommend talking to your doctor first. I know that sometimes GPs aren't the most sympathetic, but it's important to start that. I also know thats a lot of people aren't interested in taking meds therefore assume there's nothing a GP can do to help you out, but they can.

I noticed someone posted that they've been out of work a long time and are finding it difficult to return - boy do I know that feeling. I was diagnosed over a year ago but in reality had been suffering much longer. I quit my job because I wasn't able to cope and then I had myself completely convinced that I would never be able to work again because I had just 'lost' the ability to do that.

BUT I started by doing a few hours a week volunteering, stuff I was interested in adn cared about. And then I started doing applications, slowly building up my confidence to do interviews. It takes time, but right now I'm doing a short term contract in something that's CRAZY busy but that I'm prepared to do. And they know about my depression and are aware of the need to be flexible - I'm flexible with them and so are they with me.

It's a tough road alright. Even having come as far as I realise I have, I'm not sure how much any of what I've written will really help anyone else. But I hope it does :)

Was feeling bad this morning. I woke up feeling very tired as I'd stayed up way too late. I started feeling sick at the thought of going into work and wanted to stay at home. But I'm going to be working from home for a few days later this week so I really felt like I should go in. I think it's some sort of anxiety or stress disorder that I have and I think a lot of it stems from my job. But at the same time I don't want to bad mouth it as I don't want to be unemployed either.

I'm going to my doctor this week about something else (heart palpitations or some sort of fluttery feeling in my chest the odd time) and I'm wondering if it's related to the anxiety.

I still haven't been able to get past the swallowing liquid thing during lunch at work. It's a weird sensation. When I'm there, with all the people and the noise, I just want to go away somewhere quiet. I start to feel uptight and I don't know why. It never used to bother me before until that day I thought I was going to choke/couldn't swallow the liquid.

I think it's good that I'm going to the doctor. I can feel this anxiety thing starting to creep in and affect other areas of my life. For example if I go out I'm worrying a bit will I able to drink liquids or am I going to get all tense again. I've started to feel like I can't fly long distances as I feel like I'm going to crack up and lose my mind. I also get incredibly uptight and tense for the entire duration of the flight. I've started to think about changing jobs but I'm holding myself back as I feel like I can't cope with starting somewhere new, with a load of new people and not knowing anything. I've done it tons of times before and while I never loved being a newbie, I was always able to do it without too much bother.

I don't know what has happened me over the last year or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I've been trying something new lately, where I'm pretending to be very easy going. Lots of things my friends and people have been doing have been bothering me, but I haven't said anything to them. And I've stopped talking about my problems with my friends, which does make me a feel a bit lonely cause if I'm in a bad mood I generally dont talk to anyone then. But I don't want people to think of me as the girl with problems anymore, if you get me!

Just don't know how much longer I can hide my crazy from the world :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭OneForTheTeam

Hi guys do ye know if the medicial card covers any CBT therapy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I had my first panic attack in a long time last night. I text my friend and told her and she text back "Hahahahaha. You ok?" and then stopped texting me.

I think I'll just keep these things to myself.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement