Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Does anyone else's depression come in waves? I've had 2 good days and it all ended today. As soon as I woke up I felt like absolute crap. Don't know how I made it through college.
    It usually lasts for like 3 weeks and then I'll have 2 or maybe three good days. After that then it's back to the crap.

Yep, definitely. I do have good days where things seem to work out and I'm happy to make the walk in to college and do some work. And then it's just a wave of melancholia - can't and don't want to leave my room, have no desire to meet up with friends or talk to anyone, just want to be on my own and feel terrible pretty much constantly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Yep, definitely. I do have good days where things seem to work out and I'm happy to make the walk in to college and do some work. And then it's just a wave of melancholia - can't and don't want to leave my room, have no desire to meet up with friends or talk to anyone, just want to be on my own and feel terrible pretty much constantly.

I'm the same. I find it impossible to shake it off too. It's just shit.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Fairly similar myself - a general negative outlook but in cycles, sometimes it's impossible to get off the couch. Sometimes i'm so giddy i can't stay inside, very tiring..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Does anyone else's depression come in waves? I've had 2 good days and it all ended today. As soon as I woke up I felt like absolute crap. Don't know how I made it through college.
    It usually lasts for like 3 weeks and then I'll have 2 or maybe three good days. After that then it's back to the crap.

I was just about to post about it. I am suffering from waves of depression. I am not as bad as i used to be. For the past few weeks i have been feeling better. Much better than i used to, but lately it just hit me like a tonne of bricks.

I have tried to talk about it but everyone says the same thing, "Go to the doctor and get some anti depressants!. Im sure it would be a good idea but i cant bring myself to do. I dont want to be put on anti depressants, i want to be able to control it without the use of tablets.

I dunno, i seem to think everything is ok for a while and that its possible that i beat it. Then i get time to myself and everything just hits me and i realise things aren't ok. Im sick of feeling like this!

I was just about to post about it. I am suffering from waves of depression. I am not as bad as i used to be. For the past few weeks i have been feeling better. Much better than i used to, but lately it just hit me like a tonne of bricks.

I have tried to talk about it but everyone says the same thing, "Go to the doctor and get some anti depressants!. Im sure it would be a good idea but i cant bring myself to do. I dont want to be put on anti depressants, i want to be able to control it without the use of tablets.

I dunno, i seem to think everything is ok for a while and that its possible that i beat it. Then i get time to myself and everything just hits me and i realise things aren't ok. Im sick of feeling like this!

Thats the thing. It creeps up on you when you alone (mostly at night for me) and it's unpredictable and exhausting. I'm in two minds about the anti-depressants too.

• Advertisement

Thats the thing. It creeps up on you when you alone (mostly at night for me) and it's unpredictable and exhausting. I'm in two minds about the anti-depressants too.

Same with me at night and subsequently the morning too where i want to curl up in bed and never leave. In work i always have the radio on, so there is something there to help block out the thoughts.

I dont want to be dependent on them, i want to beat it without them. But the more i think of it the more i am starting to think maybe i should, even though i know i will be worse off when i come off them.

If I went on them I'd probably just never come off them. I dunno. I don't see any other solution.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I've been on medication for close to two years now. In my case (and i stress my case since this illness is a very individual experience) the medication has undoubtedly saved my life.. I'm finally attending therapy which is very hard but something i probably couldn't have done without support from friends and doctor plus meds.. It's not the way for everyone, but don't see them as a dependency either - they can be an aid to treat and ultimately get better or through things..

I've been on medication for close to two years now. In my case (and i stress my case since this illness is a very individual experience) the medication has undoubtedly saved my life.. I'm finally attending therapy which is very hard but something i probably couldn't have done without support from friends and doctor plus meds.. It's not the way for everyone, but don't see them as a dependency either - they can be an aid to treat and ultimately get better or through things..

Do they mess with your concentration at all? That's the big issue I'd have with going on them. I'd be fearful that they'd wreck what little concentration I have left.
    Also, I've heard you can't drink when on them? Is that true?

I think, for me, i would be dependent on them, i would be afraid of feeling like this again. I know what you are saying that they can be an aid to help get you through things, that is why i am considering being prescribed them.

• Advertisement

Do they mess with your concentration at all? That's the big issue I'd have with going on them. I'd be fearful that they'd wreck what little concentration I have left.

They improved my concentration, after a bit of messing with dosage.. Before i was so frantic and in so much turmoil i couldn't really finish one sentence without half a different one crashing in.. Least that's how it is for me, i'm still prone to drifting off but that;s just boredom these days rather than unwanted thoughts distracting me..

If I get a medical card I might ask the doctor about it then so. It's about time I was over it!

If I get a medical card I might ask the doctor about it then so. It's about time I was over it!

Good stuff best of luck.. If you are prescribed them don't see them as something you'll be on forever, sure enough it takes a while to find a level, and i found they helped me overcome my fear of talk therapy, for me they opened doors. Anyhoo, keep posting, we're all here for ya.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Almost 3 years I've been on medication now. Hopefully next year I can try to come off them again :) Didn't work last time but who knows!

Yeah it does take a while doesn't it?. Seriously slow process, though i think that kind of suits me now, was very impatient at the start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

It may sound weird, but somehow I kinda feel like these waves of depression have kinda become part of who I am and that this is the way it is. To be honest, I'm a little bit afraid of anti-depressants. I'm really worried that they'll change me or something. I don't want to take anything that's going to drastically change me as a person. Yes, I have times when I feel quite down, but it is part of my person and my life. I don't feel like anti-depressants would be the way to go for me at all.

Each to their own, this depression is a very personal experience, entirely unique to each person.. On the bigger scale i would say i've always had a naturally more dark or pessimistic outlook on things, but when depression and personality issues really became serious i changed a lot, none of it for the better, lost friends made a mess of myself etc. Medication was a good route for me, but took me a while to get the courage to say it to doctor.. It's not the way for everyone but i wouldn't have been able to attempt therapy without it..

In saying that here i am on boards at four in the morning when i should be asleep.. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

I know this sounds mad but I'm homesick for hospital today. I don't need to be in hospital - I'm holding my own but just at the moment, I wouldn't mind a little break for a week or two. I know it's copping out but that's how I feel

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭rob55

Off alcohol for past 3 weekends, havent gone out, seems my anxiety has improved alot and feel less depressed. hopefully get back fit and hit the gym! might head out this bank holiday and go drinking, but hate hangovers! great waking up fresh when not drinking. But its hard to go out with friends and not drink!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Fandango wrote: »
    Last 2 days have been painful! Doc wont give me Xanax anymore (only on it 3 weeks after 6 years of chronic panic disorder).Told him I drink a shoulder of vodka before college but don't need to and don't when I have xanax. Still, seems drinking a shoulder at 7am 5 days a week is safer. I would say its his fault but he has no idea what I'm going through no matter how I try to explain it, plus has his reputation to protect. Anyway, to add to the pain, getting treated and more or less told I'm a leeching waster by family cos I can't work at the moment. Black market meds are my only option apart from liver disease unless Seroxat (I think it's called) which the doc has prescribed but tried 4 similar meds and made me feel worse. I'm close to done so hope they help! Sry, had to vent this and probably makes no sense.

Did you ask him why he took you off them? They can be very addictive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

rob55 wrote: »
    Off alcohol for past 3 weekends, havent gone out, seems my anxiety has improved alot and feel less depressed. hopefully get back fit and hit the gym! might head out this bank holiday and go drinking, but hate hangovers! great waking up fresh when not drinking. But its hard to go out with friends and not drink!

well done you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

No alcohol for a few weeks, &
    Running (cardio) as exercise

=

Almost no anxiety. Fact.

off it now for last 3 weeks and back doing excerise and fell my anxiety gone alot better.

anybody know whats the connection with alcohol and anxiety? thanks, only certain people prone to anxiety after drinking alcohol

well done you :)

thanks:), alcohol is grand until the next few days! payback time:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Captain Graphite

I'm actually pretty drunk right now and I feel fantastic! It's a coin toss though; sometimes, when I drink, I feel like I'm on top of the world. Other times I feel like a complete failure and wish I could just die to spare everyone else the embarrassing anomaly of my existence. Thankfully tonight falls into the former category! :)

It's now coming up to nearly 5 months since I came off of Efexor. To think I've gotten this far seems a little bit unreal. There's no guarantee whatsoever that I'm cured but I feel increasingly satisfied with my lot in life and am hating myself less and less as time goes by. That's got to count for something, right? :)

This time last year I never would have thought I'd be where I am right now. Funny how life works out sometimes!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭BrianG23

Ah, i'm the same Captain Graphite, coin toss on the drink, I think it depends on how drunk I get. Jeagerbombs always get me in a good mood

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Hello darkness my old friend :(

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Almost 3 years I've been on medication now. Hopefully next year I can try to come off them again :) Didn't work last time but who knows!

10 years and it looks like I'll never get off them. Or at least with current medication anyway. At least my current psychiatrist is fairly anti-polypharmacy so I'm not on that much, just Lithium, Abilify and Rivotril.

nesf wrote: »
    10 years and it looks like I'll never get off them. Or at least with current medication anyway. At least my current psychiatrist is fairly anti-polypharmacy so I'm not on that much, just Lithium, Abilify and Rivotril.

Have they worked though? Is there any major drawbacks to them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

How are you getting on these days nesf?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement