Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

Can any of you who have a lot of experience with anxiety tell me if this is `normal` ??

I`m new to all this tbh... Only recently had my anxiety identified, and havent been feeling great over Christmas. I'm having some physical symptoms like tingling in arms, pain in chest and pains up the back of my neck into my head. I had my heart checked recently - (ECG, ultrasound & 24hr heart monitor) and it's all fine. But i keep having thoughts like 'what if I just drop dead" or going to bed and not waking up in the morning - just constantly worrying about all this stuff. I'm not looking for medical advice and i know that physically I'm OK - I'm fit & healthy but i'll be heading back to the GP for a follow up in the new year.

Just wanted to know if other anxiety sufferers experience these kinds of physical symptoms too?

I'd imagine those things are fairly common with many anxiety sufferers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

In short, yes and hell yes. Can get in a panic on nightshift and be convinced i won't survive it because i'll have a heart attack, then because i'm so anxious i'll actually have the physical pains in my arms or chest. A combination of medication and some meditation/distraction techniques help, but it's hard at times. Not impossible though!.

The doc prescribed me some xanax to help me as I was having a really bad time for a while - but it's only a small supply, and it's almost gone - plus, I don't like the thought of having to rely on drugs forever anyway.

Any suggestions on how to proceed?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

The doc prescribed me some xanax to help me as I was having a really bad time for a while - but it's only a small supply, and it's almost gone - plus, I don't like the thought of having to rely on drugs forever anyway.

Any suggestions on how to proceed?

You'll have to go back to the doc first off to update them and maybe see if talk therapy may help you. Xanax would be a stop-gap solution imo. I'm back trying meditation and relaxation exercises to try help, despite my sceptical nature this is actually working for me!.

Also watch diet, coffee, alcohol and that will put you on edge so when the panic sets in it's much harder to battle, so in moderation if you can. Hopefully you also have a few close friends you can tell, i informed a few close friends why i'd stopped eating out with them, my nerves prevented me from even picking up the cutlery at times, my friends were understanding about this which was a great relief..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

Mindfulness is huge at the moment. Doesn't work for me but seems to do the trick for alot of people. Tony Bates has a good book and CD - available in any Easons.

CBT is the other thing that works for anxiety. Its basicall about challenging the negative thoughts and trying to replace them positive ones. Ask your GP about it.

I'd say the meds are good but only go so far in helping the anxiety. We have to help it along. Good tips abouve about diet, triggers etc

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Been awake since early, still not sleepy and i've a nightshift to go to, grr. Vicious circles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭noah45

Wish I was back at work. Sick of stupid ads showing happy well dresses families all smiling. Sick of people shopping mad. Sick of people full stop!

Thanks for the replies. I had a really bad night last night - woke up around 3 and couldnt shake the feelings I was having - had to tnake a xanax in order to get back to sleep as i was up for work this morning.

I downloaded an app by Benjamin Bonetti where he talks you into a deep relaxing sleep, but for some reason I always feel worse the morning after so I stopped using it...

Anyone else use any of these apps and find them any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Kaching

noah45 wrote: »
    Sick of people full stop!

and theres me in a nutshell

OK so this is gonna sound like a typical 'here we go again' question..... But - after feeling quite anxious today, and having a few drinks at home this evening I'm curious as to how alcohol affects anxiety...

I'm currently quite relaxed although a tiny bit drunk. Albeit I'm also conscious of the fact that I'm slightly drunk, and the fact that this is why I feel like i do - I know alcohol is probably the last thing to suggest.... I'm wondering if a LOT more people suffer from social anxiety than we actually know about - only (the fact that us Irish drink as much as we do) it's undiagnosed / unreported as it's not reported or even self-medicated?!?!

What do the rest of you think???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

OK so this is gonna sound like a typical 'here we go again' question..... But - after feeling quite anxious today, and having a few drinks at home this evening I'm curious as to how alcohol affects anxiety...

I'm currently quite relaxed although a tiny bit drunk. Albeit I'm also conscious of the fact that I'm slightly drunk, and the fact that this is why I feel like i do - I know alcohol is probably the last thing to suggest.... I'm wondering if a LOT more people suffer from social anxiety than we actually know about - only (the fact that us Irish drink as much as we do) it's undiagnosed / unreported as it's not reported or even self-medicated?!?!

I'm of the same disposition at the moment, but I feel happy, and alcohol is bound to be a relaxent for that reason, cause I dont mind telling ya that I am very anxious about something at the moment, I cant say anything further than that. I am also relaxed and slightly drunk also. By the way, I really dont think that its just an irish thing, but more of an individual thing, if you know what I mean.

• Advertisement

darkhorse wrote: »

I'm of the same disposition at the moment, but I feel happy, and alcohol is bound to be a relaxent for that reason, cause I dont mind telling ya that I am very anxious about something at the moment, I cant say anything further than that. I am also relaxed and slightly drunk also. By the way, I really dont think that its just an irish thing, but more of an individual thing, if you know what I mean.

Well I kind of do and kind of dont tbh! In one sense I understand the angst as I've gone through it. But in another sense I don't understand it as I don't have much reason to be anxious (from an outsider's point of view) at the moment.

Although I have lots of little things going on! Best thing I can do at this stage is to go to sleep and see how I feel tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Have exams coming up next week and I don't think I've been more anxious in my life. I literally have no clue about any of the stuff on the tests. I feel like my heart is going to beat out of my chest!

Well I kind of do and kind of dont tbh! In one sense I understand the angst as I've gone through it. But in another sense I don't understand it as I don't have much reason to be anxious (from an outsider's point of view) at the moment.

Although I have lots of little things going on! Best thing I can do at this stage is to go to sleep and see how I feel tomorrow!

Right, I just wanna say that you're not an outsider, ok? I also have a lot of things going on, as have we all on this thread. We are all in this together. You just have a good sleep, we'el talk tomorrow.

Have exams coming up next week and I don't think I've been more anxious in my life. I literally have no clue about any of the stuff on the tests. I feel like my heart is going to beat out of my chest!

Don't worry about it, my friend. Whatever you studied, it will come back to you, and you will remember it on the day, and if you don't, its not the end of the world. Once you're happy enough that you did your best, that is good enough. I always tell my kids, It dos'nt matter where you finish, but if you're happy enough that you did your best, that is good enough.

Don't worry about it, my friend. Whatever you studied, it will come back to you, and you will remember it on the day, and if you don't, its not the end of the world. Once you're happy enough that you did your best, that is good enough. I always tell my kids, It dos'nt matter where you finish, but if you're happy enough that you did your best, that is good enough.

That's the thing though, I can't even study. Everytime I look at any of my notes the whole thing just seems overwhelming and I feel like I'm going to die. I might go to the chemist and see if there's anything strong they can give me for nerves.

Right, I just wanna say that you're not an outsider, ok? I also have a lot of things going on, as have we all on this thread. We are all in this together. You just have a good sleep, we'el talk tomorrow.

Sorry if I was misunderstood. I know I'm not an outsider. I'm just saying that an outsider (someone who doesn't know me too well) would think I have nothing to be anxious about.

But in reality I have: 1. Health issues, 2. A new baby coming, 3. Job security worries, 4. College worries, 5. Elderly parents........ So I actually have a good few worries! But when looked upon from an outsider's point of view (ie new baby) this should not be a worry but something to look forward to!

That's the thing though, I can't even study. Everytime I look at any of my notes the whole thing just seems overwhelming and I feel like I'm going to die. I might go to the chemist and see if there's anything strong they can give me for nerves.

Don't feel like you are going to die, its not goin to happen. Always remember, we are proud of you, even for trying, ok. If you feel that you have to get something from your chemist for your nerves, thats no problem, whatever you think might help you to get through your exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Captain Graphite

For me it's a lottery. I've gone out a lot more recently than ever before in my life. Some nights being a little drunk makes me feel fantastic; I can chat to people, laugh about anything, make a total idiot of myself on the dancefloor and not care. Feel better about myself than I ever do sober.

Other times it just amplifies all my problems (it is classified as a depressant, after all) and makes me hate myself. I'll spend most of the night in the smoking area, trying to avoid contact with people as much as possible. Will go home and throw myself into bed, occasionally punching myself out of sheer frustration.

This is in relation to depression rather than anxiety but maybe you can relate to it a bit?

I hear ya, I've completely forgotten how to study. Think it's fairly common among students with anxiety or depression. Whatever happens, don't make the same mistake I did and keep quiet about it; apply for extenuating circumstances if you're medically in need of it. I never did, being far too stubborn and afraid of not being believed. Words can't describe how much I regret that now. :(

*waffle time*

Right now I'm doing my MSc. after a year out of university and I'm pretty damn sure I'm right at the bottom of my class right now. So much for making a fresh start! :rolleyes: I've two exams in January for two modules and doing badly in them will, effectively, end my life. And I'm only exaggerating a tiny bit when I say that. I am so sick of underachieving at third level education. Being a top student all through primary and secondary school, then doing the wrong course, ending up with depression, being too proud to drop out and too scared to get help in time, ending up with a degree so much poorer than I could have achieved in another discipline.....there's not a day goes by where I don't obsess over it all. I'm trying so hard to study for these two eams in January, I wanna be able to be as good as (or preferably better than) my peers but I'm so anxious about fúcking up on the day and everything being in vain. I cannot be the person who has, on their CV, that they TWICE underachieved at third level courses. I just can't. What employer would ever want to look at me? And to think I was Leaving Cert Student of the Year in my school! :rolleyes: Back in the days when I was actually good at something, when I was deluded enough and sheltered enough to not be depressed....

And even if I do well in these exams, go on to do well in my MSc......I have no idea what I want to do with my life. NONE. ZIP. ZILCH. There is nothing I'm passionate about, nothing that gives me a reason to be excited about getting out of bed in the morning. And it's not like I have any talent to excel at or any discernible quality that makes me stand out from the crowd. I look at people who are happy doing what they do, people who are passionate about what they do and excel at it.....and it makes me bitterly jealous and resentful. It also makes me fearful about how fúcked I'm gonna be when applying for a job. I need to do something, but there's nothing I want to do, nothing I'm good at and nothing about me that would convince an employer to even give me an interview. :(

I'm signing up for counselling again in January. I've kidded myself for long enough that I didn't need to go back. Hopefully I can get CBT or something somewhere; I have serious problems when it comes to rejection, defeatism and self-deprecation. I just fear I'm too stubborn and too cynical to ever deal with any of them successfully....

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭itsnotmyname

Christmas anxiety is only beginning to fade now ....and I'm longing to get back to the daily humdrum that is my life :rolleyes: . I used complain about Routine, but I like the security it provides.......

Sometimes I feel like I'm just wasting my time, and everyone else's, by being alive. If I could rewind 5 or 6 years I could change everything and fix where it all started to go wrong. But I can't.
    One day, in about 10 years time, I might have saved up enough money to do a second degree. But until then, what have I to look forward to? Some dead end job (if I'm lucky enough to even find that!) that in no way approaches what I want to do, whatever the hell that may be. Living just for the sake of being alive; it really seems so fúcking pointless.

• Advertisement

^^
    Those are literally the same thoughts I'm having at the minute. Not the college thing but everything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

Managed to survive the car crash that is the family Christmas with no major difficulty.

But since visiting relatives left I'm just a bag full of panic. Surely it should be the other way around? Panic while they're here?

Unless I put so much energy into not panicking when they were here that I've left myself exhausted and panicked.

Gah!

Hersheys wrote: »
    Managed to survive the car crash that is the family Christmas with no major difficulty.

But since visiting relatives left I'm just a bag full of panic. Surely it should be the other way around? Panic while they're here?

Unless I put so much energy into not panicking when they were here that I've left myself exhausted and panicked.

Gah!

I really wanted to spend Christmas in hospital for some reason. Just needed a good break. Heading back to work on thursday but still feeling the same way. Dont know what yo do with myself. If i though a few days in would avoid a longer stay I'd go in a flash. Eff it anyway

Hersheys wrote: »

Gah!

I found that visiting family / friends over Christmas actually helped me. I was able to forget about anxiety and just enjoy myself. It's when there's not much happening and I'm just sitting around at home that my mind starts to wander!

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Kaching

I'm just miserable .. thats the conc Ive come to

Don't know about everyone else but New Year's Eve is my most hated night of the year. :( I always avoid the celebrations. Just makes me think of all the things I should have done better and how scary the prospect of yet another 12 months is. Also, seeing people celebrating because they've managed to delude themselves that a few fireworks and the changing of a calendar magically means they can make a fresh start and go on to live a better life just makes me gag a little.

Overall 2012 was a better year for me than 2011 or 2010 but that's little comfort when I'm still so far away from being where I want to be (wherever the hell that is).

Fúck New Year's Eve. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

Don't know about everyone else but New Year's Eve is my most hated night of the year. :( I always avoid the celebrations. Just makes me think of all the things I should have done better and how scary the prospect of yet another 12 months is. Also, seeing people celebrating because they've managed to delude themselves that a few fireworks and the changing of a calendar magically means they can make a fresh start and go on to live a better life just makes me gag a little.

Overall 2012 was a better year for me than 2011 or 2010 but that's little comfort when I'm still so far away from being where I want to be (wherever the hell that is).

Fúck New Year's Eve. :(

I'm probably going to go out this year. It's better to surround yourself with friendly people and try and enjoy yourself rather than just dwell on the bad times and isolate yourself.

All isolation does is makes you live in your own head and battle with yourself and I've found it can be very difficult to get away from that at times.

No coincidence a couple of weeks ago I noticed a mood improvement in the days after a good night out.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭BrianG23

Yeah that is one of the most important things for me. Surround yourself in loved ones as often as possible, try to stay positive, if you isolate you end up in a dark place.

I'm bloody miserable lads. Have tried to ignore those first feelings of being down and just keep going. I've taken my meds and got in touch with my support people. I've done the self help stuff, i treated myself to a night away..
    And i still feel effin sh1te. Dunno what to do now. Feel like screaming.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 dowistrepla

Ok, I hardly ever post on boards, mainly lurk. But I thought I'd sign in to wish a happy new year to everyone who posts or looks at this thread. I've been down in the abyss of depression, and I'm still trying to work my way out in many ways. Hoping a new year will bring a fresh and happier start may be an idealistic artificial construct to many, but it's that hope that sustains us, and though that may be impossible to see for many, I sincerely with that you all will find it as I know how crap it feels when you lose hope. Happy New Year!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement