Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

cloud493 wrote: »
    What's up?

I'm just finding all my options are closing & I've no idea where to turn next

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭noah45

Hersheys wrote: »

You have here to turn to. You ok?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Do you want to chat about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

I opened up to my parents about my depression even though i have suffering for months. I am glad i did. My dad suggested that i go into counselling so he said that he will go down to my GP tomorrow with me and he can see if he can recommend one to me.

I think i do need it. I have been bottling it up for too long and i am not one to talk about my feelings in the slightest.

noah45 wrote: »

You have here to turn to. You ok?
    In just realising that counselling isn't working. I need CBT but I have no money.

My family have no idea what's going on.

I feel like I am a burden on my friends.

Someone who is supposedly my best friend emigrated yesterday. Never said goodbye. Didn't even know she was going.

I made the mistake of telling someone I was in counselling. She mentioned she wanted to go to counselling but was afraid of the stigma attached. I said she shouldn't be afraid, that I go & that it could help. And since she's just made snide comments about mental health in general. I'm a paranoid person so I always assume its a dig at me.

• Advertisement

I opened up to my parents about my depression even though i have suffering for months. I am glad i did. My dad suggested that i go into counselling so he said that he will go down to my GP tomorrow with me and he can see if he can recommend one to me.

I think i do need it. I have been bottling it up for too long and i am not one to talk about my feelings in the slightest.
    Well done pixie. Wish I was that brave xx

Well done pixie. Wish I was that brave xx

thank you! x

Opening up was the hardest thing i have ever had to do in my life, especially to my parents. I didnt think they would care or understand at all. My mam has been brilliant just doing little things inclusing letting me sleep in her bed with her. Im 21 years old and i felt like a stupid child, but i needed to be there especially with the first night on the sleeping tablets.

Right now reading a book called Overcoming Anxiety by Helen Kennerley. I've heard most of the stuff before but it's still a help. Sometimes you need the simple things spelt out to you.

My Ma just said 'Walrus must suffer from anxiety'. She then told me she does too. She's on medication for it. I didn't know this. You'd be surprised what you'd find out if you talked to your folks about your issues. They've lived a life too.

I'm also getting therapy btw. It's a big help but you have to really open up for it to work, really want to get better.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I don't post much here for various reasons but I read this thread every day. I'm depressed at the moment, probably due to the season also I had a minor manic episode in the autumn and have been depressed since pretty much. My mood isn't too bad at the moment, just sad all the time but not cripplingly so, my thoughts are mostly ok apart from the suicidal ones but I've no intent so nothing to worry about. I had a major medication change to Lithium (the transition period was when the little manic episode happened) and my depressions have changed quality. Where before I felt empty and flat now I am sad and somewhat moody. It's odd.

In short the Lithium doesn't seem to be fully ridding me of depression (antidepressants are a no-no for me as they put me into manias unless there's a good strong dose of antipsychotics in my system and I really didn't like being on those) and if I start consuming a decent amount of caffeine my depression deepens (caffeine reduces the amount of lithium in your blood or something). So as best I can make out I'm on the edge of a therapeutic dose for my depressions, but I'm on 1200mg which is generally as high as you go outside of mania (my psychiatrist seems reluctant to go above this despite my lithium level of 0.64 being far less than the 1.0 she wanted when we started lithium).

So I don't know. I'll see later this month which path I'll be going down (either more Lithium at the risk of more side effects, another mood stabiliser, Lamictal has been mentioned or some other third option that hasn't been mentioned to me yet, or perhaps nothing and I accept these relatively minor depressions as a part of life).

I won't lie, I had high hopes for Lithium, I'm quite disappointed that my lithium level is so low at this dose and that it hasn't fully rid me of depressions (though they are lesser in intensity).

Anyway, that's how I've been doing.

Thanks for the update nesf - hopefully things start to turn for you soon xx

• Advertisement

Normally when I have nightmares I can pull myself out of them & wake up. They do less damage that way. Last night I couldn't wake up so they just continued & continued. Every single nerve ending on my body is alive right now. Everything. There is no way I can get out of bed, yet I know if I stay & sleep the nightmares will happen again.

Given that yesterday's counselling didn't work I am wondering if maybe I need to see my gp but I don't really want to go down the route of increasing my meds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I got about an hours sleep last night, feel like death :(

cloud493 wrote: »
    I got about an hours sleep last night, feel like death :(
    I was like that yesterday. Just be kind to yourself today & hopefully sleep better tonight xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I'm meeting with degausserxo today as a matter of fact :) so hopefully be a good day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

nesf:

hi just wondering if this is your first experience with lithium as i'm to start treatment with this monday(pending blood results). Did you notice any significant effects

I was on 425mg effexor and just felt awful overmedicated and like I was going nowhere we are going to tapper this down and add lithium to see if it will lift the moods.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

handbagmad wrote: »
    nesf:

hi just wondering if this is your first experience with lithium as i'm to start treatment with this monday(pending blood results). Did you notice any significant effects

I was on 425mg effexor and just felt awful overmedicated and like I was going nowhere we are going to tapper this down and add lithium to see if it will lift the moods.

Hey, I noticed it kicked in pretty fast and had an effect on my mood within a week of a dosage increase. I didn't notice many side effects under 800mg. The ones over that proved to be transitory for me (the hand trembling and so on). If I remember right for depression they give a small dose as an adjunct to an antidepressant, if this is the case you should be able to avoid most of the side effects associated with lithium at high doses being used for bipolar (if you start reading up about lithium you'll see there's a ton of side effects but at low doses most of these are not a problem from what I've been told and read).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Finally went to the doctor today and was prescribed Lexotan and Lorazepam. Hopefully they'll help me sleep.

Im calling a counsellor in the morning because i do need help. So hopefully i should have an appointment next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Normally when I have nightmares I can pull myself out of them & wake up. They do less damage that way.
    Do you ever try recording your dreams and making sense of them?
    I did it for a while and they started making sense, if nothing else it was very interesting, that said I'd a dream last night that I had a fight with my bro over who's turn it was to use the washing machine! (so fu&*ed if I can figure that one out).

I've been figuring I could do with going to CBT no idea where to look for it and kind of conscious that I don't have a lot of cash at the moment.

The dreams are nearly always the same... of the abuse and stuff...

I'm going to talk to my GP next week hopefully about CBT - seeing if she can recomend somewhere lowcost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Anyone any experience with lyrica? Just started taking it recently. It calms me down but fcuk does it make me aggressive.

Tell you what mate, you aint alone. I'd say theres a good few of us feeling like that at the moment.

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Anyone any experience with lyrica? Just started taking it recently. It calms me down but fcuk does it make me aggressive.

Does it help you?

Does it help you?
    It calms me but it makes me want to batter people.

It calms me but it makes me want to batter people.

Are you generally agressive or is it just the meds?

Are you generally agressive or is it just the meds?
    I have a certain innate anger but the medication definitely exacerbates it.

I have a certain innate anger but the medication definitely exacerbates it.

What is causing your depression?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

Had a really rough spell of memories there. Torturing stuff. Those times are gone but the pain stays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

Had a really rough spell of memories there. Torturing stuff. Those times are gone but the pain stays.

People, it makes me sad to see any of you sad or depressed. Please, don't make me sad, cause I really like talking to you all, even though a lot of you are thirty odd years younger than me, and, in a perfect world, I would come to see you all and cheer you up, but until we get that perfect world, will you please try and be happy. I have to go to bed now, cause my other half thinks I am enjoying myself too much, and we cant have that. Anyway, chat you tomorrow night, if she does'nt kill me in the meantime. xx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

darkhorse wrote: »
    People, it makes me sad to see any of you sad or depressed. Please, don't make me sad, cause I really like talking to you all, even though a lot of you are thirty odd years younger than me, and, in a perfect world, I would come to see you all and cheer you up, but until we get that perfect world, will you please try and be happy. I have to go to bed now, cause my other half thinks I am enjoying myself too much, and we cant have that. Anyway, chat you tomorrow night, if she does'nt kill me in the meantime. xx

Eh, what??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement