Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

So on lithium a week today.800mg per day. I have to say it has improved my mood somewhat. I have had an upset tummy since starting it but Im sure that will pass and i'm smoking an awful lot more.
    I'm still very very tired. I think im run down just trying to rest.
    im hoping i can get moods stablised very soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Tomorrow is my 23rd birthday. I feel like I haven't lived life properly and that I am just bobbing alone like a boat letting the currents take me wherever even if I don't want to go there. I've been on meds for nearly 3 years; when I started them I thought it would be a short term thing and I'd be better and normal in no time. Still here. Even after thousands of hours of therapy I still have so far left to go to be better. It's like I take one stop forward and then ten steps back. How did I get so messed up? I've been hating myself for the last ten years and I still don't know how not to. I'm terrible at looking after myself, yet I've been living away from home for nearly 6 years... It's like I have learned hardly anything about growing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Kaching

Seren_ wrote: »
    Tomorrow is my 23rd birthday. I feel like I haven't lived life properly and that I am just bobbing alone like a boat letting the currents take me wherever even if I don't want to go there. I've been on meds for nearly 3 years; when I started them I thought it would be a short term thing and I'd be better and normal in no time. Still here. Even after thousands of hours of therapy I still have so far left to go to be better. It's like I take one stop forward and then ten steps back. How did I get so messed up? I've been hating myself for the last ten years and I still don't know how not to. I'm terrible at looking after myself, yet I've been living away from home for nearly 6 years... It's like I have learned hardly anything about growing up.
    You should pm me because from what I've read we have a lot in common

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

My doctor thinks I'm well enough to come off both Seroquel and Zyprexa.

I'm delighted but I'm one of those people who gets very sick and develop insomnia when I' being brought off them.

Happened a few years ago and it was awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

Temaz wrote: »

I'm delighted but I'm one of those people who gets very sick and develop insomnia when I' being brought off them.

Did you put on any weight? Was it much zyprexa you were on?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

It's great that you're well enough Temez - fingers crossed the withdrawals ain't too bad for you xx

Hersheys wrote: »
    It's great that you're well enough Temez - fingers crossed the withdrawals ain't too bad for you xx

Thanks dude! I have gone through the withdrawals 6 years ago and it was rough but I know it's temporary and will be worth it in the end.

For all those who are still in turmoil please hang on, things do get better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

I've just learned that I can never ever depend on anyone in this world....... Im so angry right now. I've bent over backwards to help these people and when i really needed them tonight they let me down. Im a ****ing mug.
    I know im on my own now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Forest Demon

handbagmad wrote: »
    I've just learned that I can never ever depend on anyone in this world....... Im so angry right now. I've bent over backwards to help these people and when i really needed them tonight they let me down. Im a ****ing mug.
    I know im on my own now.

Not everyone but some. Yes. hope you are ok.

What's up tonight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Kaching wrote: »
    You should pm me because from what I've read we have a lot in common

might take you up on that offer at some stage, thanks :)

aw that is great Temaz!! well done :D

• Advertisement

Cheers!!

Keep the faith.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Cliona99

Has anybody here looked into/tried 'nutrition therapy' for depression? (Someone mentioned the Biobalance Centre in Dublin and Dr. E. O'Flaherty). It sounds interesting but €500 is a lot of money for a blood test and analysis...does anyone have personal experience?

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Cliona99 wrote: »
    Has anybody here looked into/tried 'nutrition therapy' for depression? (Someone mentioned the Biobalance Centre in Dublin and Dr. E. O'Flaherty). It sounds interesting but €500 is a lot of money for a blood test and analysis...does anyone have personal experience?

Thanks!

Sounds like pseudo-science to me. I never have much faith in those kind of things. It would probably have some benefits if used along with therapy and medication though.

You should bitta craic does no harm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I've been doing some silly things over the past few days. Feel rather ashamed :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Ugh. Not feeling very good. Have a presentation to do tomorrow and feeling very, very anxious about it almost to the point of not wanting to go in and do it (not really an option, can't let the others down). I'm having awful visions of just bursting into tears in front of everyone.

Ugh. Not feeling very good. Have a presentation to do tomorrow and feeling very, very anxious about it almost to the point of not wanting to go in and do it (not really an option, can't let the others down). I'm having awful visions of just bursting into tears in front of everyone.
    Please go in and do it, I've been in that situation and avoidance will make anxiety worse, especially when it's marked academically. I have horrible visions too but a lot of them aren't based in reality, you'll be fine.

I went in and did it anyway. Didn't go brilliantly, but not horribly either. In a way I'm glad I did it even though I was a bag of nerves. I would have felt far worse about myself if I'd copped out, I think.

I ended up in A&E yesterday after a crazy few days but at least it started the process of getting some help again. I am going to do my best and try and engage with the treatment rather then convince myself that there is nothing wrong with me and it is the world that is at fault. The merry go round that is bipolar continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I went in and did it anyway. Didn't go brilliantly, but not horribly either. In a way I'm glad I did it even though I was a bag of nerves. I would have felt far worse about myself if I'd copped out, I think.

I found for better or worse, people depending on me always got me into those types of things even when I was absolutely frightened/feeling terrible. Glad it went okay!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 I am me

If I fully believe I am depressed, and my partner also firmly believes that I am (and they are suffering emotionally because of it too), but I know the reason why I am depressed but can't escape that reason nor do anything about it. Is there anything I can do? Surely going on medicine would just mask the problem at best, and do nothing at all at worst.

Btw, I did a depression test and I scored:

Major depression - moderate to high
    Dysthymia - moderate
    Bipolar disorder - slight
    Cyclothymia - moderate
    Seasonal affective disorder - high
    Postpartum depression - N/A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

I am me wrote: »
    If I fully believe I am depressed, and my partner also firmly believes that I am (and they are suffering emotionally because of it too), but I know the reason why I am depressed but can't escape that reason nor do anything about it. Is there anything I can do? Surely going on medicine would just mask the problem at best, and do nothing at all at worst.

Dysthymia - moderate
    Cyclothymia - moderate
    Go see your doctor

A combination of meds & therapy usually helps

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Dysthymia - moderate
    Cyclothymia - moderate

I am in a similar situation re: depressed about something I can't escape and imo you can't really treat that, I've tried but that thing is always there.

By all means go see someone but just my 0.02 euro.

Dysthymia - moderate
    Cyclothymia - moderate
    I am in a similar situation re: depressed about something I can't escape and imo you can't really treat that, I've tried but that thing is always there.

I did think that at one stage myself and after escaping a bad situation the depression returned in the end. Not trying to put a downer on things but sometimes it can be the depression causing you to focus on one element of your life and not the other way round.

In your cases it might be completely different and I am sure you both know better yourselves.

If the situation is inescapable then try and treat the depression. If your perspective changes regarding the issue then you could just be depressed.

Treatment is worth a try.

Dysthymia - moderate
    Cyclothymia - moderate

Going to see your doctor is the best bet. Online tests are just online tests. Automated responses based on specific questions. Can't compare to an actual professional. Without being on medication you can't know the effects of it and the right meds usually work.

Is it something you can talk through with a therapist and change your thinking and how it affects you? Or maybe practical advice to deal with the situation.

Dysthymia - moderate
    Cyclothymia - moderate

It depends how badly it's affecting your life. Medication can help to get you out of a rut you might be in. If the reason for you depression is something you can't escape, then medication might be a good idea. You could always try counselling too. I know that since I started taking relaxers (and it wasn't an idea I was overly keen on, benzos are kinda scary to me), it has helped. I'm finally getting the sleep that I really need, which was a huge part of my problem and was getting me even more down because I was just so tired all the time (but unable to sleep) and unmotivated and irritable. I've felt much better about myself since starting the medication. I'm not going to stay on it for a long, long time, it's just to get me to a place where I can get on the path to sorting myself out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 I am me

It depends how badly it's affecting your life. Medication can help to get you out of a rut you might be in. If the reason for you depression is something you can't escape, then medication might be a good idea. You could always try counselling too. I know that since I started taking relaxers (and it wasn't an idea I was overly keen on, benzos are kinda scary to me), it has helped. I'm finally getting the sleep that I really need, which was a huge part of my problem and was getting me even more down because I was just so tired all the time (but unable to sleep) and unmotivated and irritable. I've felt much better about myself since starting the medication. I'm not going to stay on it for a long, long time, it's just to get me to a place where I can get on the path to sorting myself out.

I like the last comment, maybe it wouldn't be such a bad idea to give a doctor a try. But are we talking big money for the medication?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

I like the last comment, maybe it wouldn't be such a bad idea to give a doctor a try. But are we talking big money for the medication?

Depends on the meds. The way its been explained to me is that meds give you that little bit of distance from the awful depths of depression to be able to put supports in place to lift yourself out of it. They don't do all the work- think of it as a leg up.

Even if you don't go on meds, go and have a chat with your doc. Well worth to have an independent person to keep an eye on you. When you're down it can be hard to messure objectively how you are. So it can be good to have someone to say, well actually you're a bit worse/better this week.

Im a quitter and a coward and i should just become a recluse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

Kaching wrote: »
    Im a quitter and a coward and i should just become a recluse

Are you sure its not me you're talking about? Bad day at the office?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement