Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Reactor wrote: »
    Is it generally recommended that you try a bit of councelling before you ask your GP for anti-depressants? He offered me them straight away when I went to see him.

No it is the GPs call, he may feel they are indicated as well as therapy, therefore starting immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Can't get out of bed today :(

I hate that I can be fine for a while and think everything will be better and then just get really down again!

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭MrMojoRising

Can't get out of bed today :(

I hate that I can be fine for a while and think everything will be better and then just get really down again!

I've been like that the last few weeks. Can't budge myself out of it. Very bad the last week or so. Everyday i've been turning up to work later and later. Then again, glad I have work to go to, otherwise i'd never get up again :(

I've been like that the last few weeks. Can't budge myself out of it. Very bad the last week or so. Everyday i've been turning up to work later and later. Then again, glad I have work to go to, otherwise i'd never get up again :(

I am late to work everyday by at least 5 minutes! I just cannot get out of bed in the morning. And then barely at all on my days off.

After work I try to go straight to the gym cause if I hang around my house I'll just get into bed and stay there for the night.

I think its hardest during winter, dark in the mornings and the evenings and so cold outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭MrMojoRising

I think its hardest during winter, dark in the mornings and the evenings and so cold outside.

Definitely gets harder around this time of year. Can't help but thinking this winters going to be a long and brutal one, which is just gonna make things so much more difficult. Plus, i need to stop watching so much news. I've literally had enough of it all. Its begun to seriously affect my mood :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Feeling awful down this past week or so,struggling to get out of bed before it gets dark and not wanting to talk to people,appointments with psychologist and psych were both cancelled because of the weather aswel and I ran out of meds on monday,someone from the clinic rang today and said they'd faxed a script to the chemist for a refill though which I'll get tomorrow morn,so hopefully I might feel a bit better once I get back to my normal med routine.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭neelyohara

Feeling awful down this past week or so,struggling to get out of bed before it gets dark and not wanting to talk to people,appointments with psychologist and psych were both cancelled because of the weather aswel and I ran out of meds on monday,someone from the clinic rang today and said they'd faxed a script to the chemist for a refill though which I'll get tomorrow morn,so hopefully I might feel a bit better once I get back to my normal med routine.

Hey Mike, I know it's may not seem like a great comfort but you're not alone, we're all in the same boat!

I imagine staying in bed all day is only making your symptoms worse. You need daylight, fresh air and company. I can promise you that getting up early tomorrow and walking to the chemist will do you the world of good.

Make sure you spend time with people - if you don't feel like going out for a pint why not drop in on family or friends for a cuppa?

It's really important that when you do feel down that you take care of yourself properly and do all the things that you really don't want to do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭C_Dawg

Just home from the work Xmas party. Only lasted about 2 hours there and my nerves were at me big time even before I left the house. I just can't relax when in the company of others, seeing others having carefree fun upsets me immensely because I know it's something that I can can have. Part of me wanted to go into the river tonight. I'm not gonna do that though, don't even have the balls to do that either.

C_Dawg wrote: »
    Just home from the work Xmas party. Only lasted about 2 hours there and my nerves were at me big time even before I left the house. I just can't relax when in the company of others, seeing others having carefree fun upsets me immensely because I know it's something that I can can have. Part of me wanted to go into the river tonight. I'm not gonna do that though, don't even have the balls to do that either.

Well the good thing is that you gave it a shot! Take little steps. You were nervous before you left the house, but you still made it to the party! And keep making the effort to do things like this, and hopefully you will start to enjoy yourself. Those nights can be hard because people usually tend to be drunker and a lot merrier than usual! Just keep going to social occasions, make as much effort as you can, people will appreciate that.

On a similar note, if another random stranger tells me to stop looking miserable and cheer up, they will either get a punch in the face or a long moan about my problems. Whatever will ruin their night more :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

Well the good thing is that you gave it a shot! Take little steps. You were nervous before you left the house, but you still made it to the party! And keep making the effort to do things like this, and hopefully you will start to enjoy yourself. Those nights can be hard because people usually tend to be drunker and a lot merrier than usual! Just keep going to social occasions, make as much effort as you can, people will appreciate that.

On a similar note, if another random stranger tells me to stop looking miserable and cheer up, they will either get a punch in the face or a long moan about my problems. Whatever will ruin their night more :pac:

OMG That last bit..... I'm so glad I'm not the only one. Random strangers tell me to cheer up too. What the hell is that about. I mean for starters, it's seriously rude. And they don't know what might be wrong with someone. For all they know my whole family could have just died and they say cheer up? Drives me crazy!!!!!!

• Advertisement

I was having an ok time too, I laughed and smiled when there was a reason to. Just because I wasn't grinning like a fool at every moment? And then when 2 random guys said that to me, I just got really paranoid and down about how I was coming across to others. I thought I was doing ok!

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭trishasaffron

Although it doesn't always seem so, many many people detest work Xmas parties and feel exactly like you do. So do not feel alone about that. Yes there are also those that have "carefree fun" or at least seem to but I guess some of them might be nursing regrets this morning! Mind yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭C_Dawg

Thanks for the kind words lads. I had a few in me when I posted that, booze and the blues really don't mix well. I'll have to embrace my long standing teetotalism once again tee hee

As for people telling ya to cheer up it's a right mood killer lol

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭SL10

I know how you feel C Dawy- I have two christmas parties coming up over the next two weeks and I am worrying about them all the time. Is really bothering me cos this time last year I was in great form. Actually thought at that time that I was almost completly free of the panic attacks!

Just wondering how long every one else has been dealing with anxiety/panic attacks? For me its been 5 years now. 1 bad year. 2 Ok years and then one very good year. Thought i was getting over them and then wham in February last year went right back to square one! Drives me crazy cos I am trying so hard to get over them and just when I think I am nearly there something happens that throws me off :mad:

I know how you feel C Dawg- I have two christmas parties coming up over the next two weeks and I am worrying about them all the time. Is really bothering me cos this time last year I was in great form. Actually thought at that time that I was almost completly free of the panic attacks!

Just wondering how long every one else has been dealing with anxiety/panic attacks? For me its been 5 years now. 1 bad year. 2 Ok years and then one very good year. Thought i was getting over them and then wham in February last year went right back to square one! Drives me crazy cos I am trying so hard to get over them and just when I think I am nearly there something happens that throws me off :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

I've never been to any of my Christmas parties. There's no way I could even consider going. We don't have a proper one this year due to the good old recession... (it's good for something anyway I guess,) But there are going to be informal drinks some night. So I'll have o come up with a good excuse to avoid that one. There's no way I'm going anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Reactor

Getting into bed in the evening is my favorite part of the day, the panic kind of leaves my chest and I can read my Kindle and enjoy it without feeling like my life is slipping down the toilet, then when I have to get up in the morning the nausea and tension come back and I spend the day killing time on the internet until its time to go to bed again, its a totally pointless existence.

I went to bed at about 8 last night, went to sleep at 4. Woke up at 12 today, got out of bed at 4, moved to the sofa till 9 and here I am in bed again. My only day off till Sunday and I wasted it. And this is my typical day off, doing nothing!

Somedays I force myself to do hobbies and exercise, but somedays I don't even bother. I need more motivation!

Went to bed at 8pm lastnight,woke up at 3pm today,haven't shaved or showered in over a week,have no friends(even my dog ran away!),no job or prospect of one,dont get on with my family,feel utterly hopeless and worthless,frequently think about committing suicide and about if I did would anyone even care,I reckon it would be a relief to my family if I was gone to be honest.Only reason I ever leave my room is to either sign on or see my doctor and collect my meds.Such a pointless existince.Am dreading Christmas because it makes me feel even more alone and like an outcast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

I went to bed at about 8 last night, went to sleep at 4. Woke up at 12 today, got out of bed at 4, moved to the sofa till 9 and here I am in bed again. My only day off till Sunday and I wasted it. And this is my typical day off, doing nothing!

Somedays I force myself to do hobbies and exercise, but somedays I don't even bother. I need more motivation!

lack of discipline here princess. if you forced yourself to do exercise every day you will notice a big difference

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Reactor

Went to bed at 8pm lastnight,woke up at 3pm today,haven't shaved or showered in over a week,have no friends(even my dog ran away!),no job or prospect of one,dont get on with my family,feel utterly hopeless and worthless,frequently think about committing suicide and about if I did would anyone even care,I reckon it would be a relief to my family if I was gone to be honest.Only reason I ever leave my room is to either sign on or see my doctor and collect my meds.Such a pointless existince.Am dreading Christmas because it makes me feel even more alone and like an outcast.
    Sorry to hear about this Mike, only advice I can give you is that the jobs situation is totally outside of our control if thats any consolation, try to get as much FAS or further education stuff as you can done while things are like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

I've been there, and it can get better. if the meds aren't making any difference then maybe talk to your GP? are you getting any therapy?

for myself, I'm finding it really hard the last few weeks. I just feel exhausted all the time, it's really tough.

Newcomer here.
    I've had panic attacks a few years ago. Thought they were gone - following a bad row with my OH last week, they're back. And I feel like I'm going nuts.
    I'm unemployed - and obviously last week's row coupled with the stress of worrying about employment was just too much.Or at least that's what I think in my saner moments. At the depths of the panic, I convince myself I'll have to leave my OH (whom I love more than anything, and who sticks by me through thick and thin), and make myself even more miserable just to solve my problem.
    I'm currently reading my way through some self-help stuff, it's not bad. But when you're on your own all day, it's hard. And I know things aren't good - I'm on the verge of tears several times a day, and when people say things like "and how are you getting on", I get a panic attack just saying "I'm fine", while my brain thinks "everything is wrong, nothing is right".....Life feels so hard and I don't want to get out of bed everyday.I want to lie there and cry until I fall asleep and can't feel anything else.
    I've booked an appointment with a psychologist/psychoanalyst for the weekend - it's the first time I've ever been and it's terrifying me, because I'm afraid I'll come out feeling worse and even more convinced that I "have" to leave my OH......
    So I'm panicking about when the next attack will be, at which point I panic about leaving my OH, and then I panic that it won't "fix" me, and then I panic that this appointment will make me feel worse, and then I panic that I'll never be the same again and never be able to enjoy life again, and then it starts in on the job thing, and then back to the OH.....
    Seriously. Is there anyone out there who can help me feel a bit better til I go see this person?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 ammo123

Novella wrote: »
    Nice idea for a thread. :) As my counsellor said to me lately, being depressed just means that I "feel harder" than many other people. Feeling harder isn't so bad, imo. I like to think of it as a heightened sense now!
    Currently on Zispin, and a short-term dose of Stilnoct to help me get some sleep, but look at the time I'm posting - 3:40am... Yeah, not really working.

I love that idea of heightened sense, never heard it before but love it..and really think that's exactly how I would describe my experience of depression.

I took Stilnoct when I was first depressed as could never sleep, but the stilnoct actually made me significantly worse...in that it didn't help me sleep at all, but instead it made me feel like my head was made of lead the following morning-it was a nightmare. I said it to a friend at the time and she had had the same experience and said I was probably mildly allergic to them...so just in case you have the same problem.

Newcomer here.
    I've had panic attacks a few years ago. Thought they were gone - following a bad row with my OH last week, they're back. And I feel like I'm going nuts.
    I'm unemployed - and obviously last week's row coupled with the stress of worrying about employment was just too much.Or at least that's what I think in my saner moments. At the depths of the panic, I convince myself I'll have to leave my OH (whom I love more than anything, and who sticks by me through thick and thin), and make myself even more miserable just to solve my problem.
    I'm currently reading my way through some self-help stuff, it's not bad. But when you're on your own all day, it's hard. And I know things aren't good - I'm on the verge of tears several times a day, and when people say things like "and how are you getting on", I get a panic attack just saying "I'm fine", while my brain thinks "everything is wrong, nothing is right".....Life feels so hard and I don't want to get out of bed everyday.I want to lie there and cry until I fall asleep and can't feel anything else.
    I've booked an appointment with a psychologist/psychoanalyst for the weekend - it's the first time I've ever been and it's terrifying me, because I'm afraid I'll come out feeling worse and even more convinced that I "have" to leave my OH......
    So I'm panicking about when the next attack will be, at which point I panic about leaving my OH, and then I panic that it won't "fix" me, and then I panic that this appointment will make me feel worse, and then I panic that I'll never be the same again and never be able to enjoy life again, and then it starts in on the job thing, and then back to the OH.....
    Seriously. Is there anyone out there who can help me feel a bit better til I go see this person?????

The cycle of panicking about panic attacks... I know how that feels.

A therapist won't be able to fix you straight away, but it's a good start on the path to making things easier.

All I can suggest is a technique I use when I feel panic coming on. Sit on a chair, feet firmly on the floor. Put your hands on your belly and think about your hands. Close your eyes if you like. Don't ask me how it works, but it tends to slow down my breathing. Another idea is to count to three while breathing out - if you breathe out slower you breathe in slower (apparently!) which is a basic calming majig.

As for general stuff to do, to stop myself worrying/panicking I always do something that requires concentration - in my case, something like painting my nails - and focus just on what you're doing.

Hope that helps. good luck

Thanks for your post.

Yes I'm a bit worried about how much good a therapist will be - I don't need to do in-depth analyses of why I feel like this. I need to know how to control my thinking.This is something I had problems with when I was working aswell....obsessive thinking, endlessly going over and over the same thing if something was bothering me.I suppose I need an impartial listener and some advice on how to control my thoughts rather than someone going into to the depths of my extremely normal childhood or something, to try and "solve" why I think like this. Hence my apprehension about the therapist - hopefully it will work out ok.

Thanks for your tips on dealing with the panic, I'll try them out.This a great thread btw, it's good to know I'm not the only one out there dealing with this kind of stuff.

Thanks for your post.

Yes I'm a bit worried about how much good a therapist will be - I don't need to do in-depth analyses of why I feel like this. I need to know how to control my thinking.This is something I had problems with when I was working aswell....obsessive thinking, endlessly going over and over the same thing if something was bothering me.I suppose I need an impartial listener and some advice on how to control my thoughts rather than someone going into to the depths of my extremely normal childhood or something, to try and "solve" why I think like this. Hence my apprehension about the therapist - hopefully it will work out ok.

Thanks for your tips on dealing with the panic, I'll try them out.This a great thread btw, it's good to know I'm not the only one out there dealing with this kind of stuff.

I often find even the act of going to a counsellor/booking an appointment helps me to feel slightly better as i feel like at least I am trying to change and any little bit will help. You might be surprised by how much better you feel just venting to a third party for a bit.

Another good way to deal with panic I find is to count back from 300 in 3's. It takes a good bit of concentration and stops my mind going crazy with horrible thoughts.

Thanks for your post.

I know how you feel about not wanting to talk all the time - quite often I would go to my therapist and really really just not want to hash everything out again. But thankfully my therapist understood that and would practice some relaxation techniques with me. so hopefully you'll get someone that you can get along with. don't forget that you are paying the therapist to help you in the way that you want to be helped, not in the way that they think's best. if they want to try and pull some crazy freudian **** outta their ass then they can do that on their own time. you want help dealing with your anxiety - so that's what you should be getting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 ammo123

Thanks for your post.

If it's help controlling spiralling thoughts or obsessive thinking you want then CBT (cognitive brain therapy) is designed precisely for this, there are some really simply methods and I found it incredibly helpful to get my panic attacks under control. If you're unwilling to see a psychologist because of money or whatever else you could start by just buying a basic book on CBT and employing some of the simpler methods yourself. Otherwise both clinical psychologists and some counsellors are trained in CBT, counsellors will generally be cheaper.

• Advertisement

Excellent advice guys, I will look into it. I'm feeling a bit better the last couple of days so hopefully there won't be too many recurring visits to the therapist.
    Appreciate your help.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement