Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I wouldn't say they're not helpful; the one I saw did sit down and listen to me and told me she'd put me on the waiting list for another appointment. I think my problem is my own attitude; for counselling to work, you have to actively WANT to get better. And I'm not sure I do, if that makes any sense?

Sure, I'll try eating better, exercising more, having a fixed bedtime routine. I'm just a bit skeptical as to how much all that will actually benefit me in the long run.

Like I don't want to be told "Life is wonderful; eat more veg and you'll appreciate it." (that's an exaggeration, but I'm sure I had a point buried in this post somewhere...) I guess I'm looking for a sympathetic ear rather than a lifestyle coach. I'd rather have a Jennifer Melfi than a Doctor Phil. :)

It does make sense! First councelor that I said didn't work for me, I still can't say if it was her or me that was the problem. I was really down at the time, only seeing her cause my doctor made me, didn't want to be there, didn't think counceling was for me. And I just didn't want to answer her questions at all. Now in fairness she was a bit stupid, I remember she asked me How does it feel to be worried? That just annoyed me and I instantly didn't like her :P

But the next time I tried counseling was when my meds were working really well and I was in much better form most of the time, and I had a more open mind about counseling and really made an effort at my sessions. So it could be the counselor you saw, or it could be your attitude. I'm not saying counselling is easy at all, I often felt worse straight after a session. But really try to make an effort with it, so you'll know you gave it your best shot and maybe it just isn't for you.

In the meantime, do a bit of research about the different counselling methods that exist!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Christmas Day edges closer,wish that I could just go to sleep tonight and wake up sometime in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

Merry Christmas everyone. I know some of you will find it very difficult but just do your best. Essentially, it's just a saturday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭noah45

Christmas Day edges closer,wish that I could just go to sleep tonight and wake up sometime in January.

I actually said the very same, thank God i'm not alone.

I hated everything about yesterday.

Not up yet today, problem is I was meant to attend monthly psy clinic last wed where i get my presciption for my 300mg effexor which work great. Couln't go cos of snow, phoned my gp on thurs for pre, rang fri to find no pres and no doc on. I also take 150 zyban and still had some of them so took 300mg zyban only thurs, fri, sat and toaday.

have zaps, dizzy sick and am crying I feel so alone and so fed up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

noah45 wrote: »
    I actually said the very same, thank God i'm not alone.

I hated everything about yesterday.

Not up yet today, problem is I was meant to attend monthly psy clinic last wed where i get my presciption for my 300mg effexor which work great. Couln't go cos of snow, phoned my gp on thurs for pre, rang fri to find no pres and no doc on. I also take 150 zyban and still had some of them so took 300mg zyban only thurs, fri, sat and toaday.

have zaps, dizzy sick and am crying I feel so alone and so fed up

Stop over self medicating and get out of bed. Post again when your up, dressed and have eaten s hearty breakfast. Just DO it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭noah45

OK im up, not dressed but up.

Not self medicating to be dangerous, its just im terrified to go without the effexor so thought uping the zyban would help stop the withdrawal effects

Hope some doc open tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 36 CapnMark

Was diagnosed with depression on the 27th of August of this year.

Feel like I am over the worst of it but cant help shake the feeling that Its lurking just around the corner.

Seeing a counselor which seems to be helping a lot.

My problem at the moment is the medication. I am taking 25 mg of mirtazapine each night and having awful difficulty waking up in the morning or functioning at 100%

If anyone out there is unsure of where to go to get help, please consult your G.P. It got so bad for me that I considered killing myself and when I didnt go though with it I got upset that I had failed to complete another simple task!

My G.P. was fantastic about it and a few months on I am slowly getting my life back in order one step at a time.

Has anyone had any experiences of coming off Mirtazapine? I would like to get off my medication completely at this stage (work are being patient with me but patience will run out eventually if I dont overcome the constant fatigue)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

CapnMark wrote: »
    If anyone out there is unsure of where to go to get help, please consult your G.P. It got so bad for me that I considered killing myself and when I didnt go though with it I got upset that I had failed to complete another simple task!
    I can identify with that. I've thought about suicide a lot (I reckon everyone thinks about it at some point) but I have never attempted it and very much doubt I ever will. And in a twisted way, I see that as a bad reflection on me. Basically I'm hopeless with pain; it's often said that if you're at rock bottom you just become numb to physical pain but that has never happened with me. And out of the million and one reasons for me to never ever attempt suicide, the main one is so I won't feel any pain. I guess I'm just incredibly selfish and a total wimp. :(
    Has anyone had any experiences of coming off Mirtazapine? I would like to get off my medication completely at this stage (work are being patient with me but patience will run out eventually if I dont overcome the constant fatigue)

You said your GP was fantastic in helping you - I guess talk to him/her about those concerns. Deciding to go off medication is not a decision that should be taken lightly, your doctor will be able to help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

Quick q- has Xanax affected anyone's dreams?

Have been going through a bit of a rough patch anxiety wise the last while, and my doctor gave me a small prescription of xanax to take as required (I can usually feel the panic attacks coming on). I have them here in front of me and they're plain white tablets, .25mg.

If I take one, I find it helps me clear my head a bit and go to sleep, but the dreams I'm having are really starting to freak me out. The rough patch is related to problems with my ex, and usually if I'm upset, it's because of him so he's obviously on my mind when I take the Xanax. I do be having dreams about him trying to kill me or of him kissing new girls in front of me (he asked someone to marry him in front of me in one dream) or just general weird crap that makes me wake up really upset.

Most of the time, the dreams are about my ex but sometimes they're about other stuff anyway the point is, is this a common side effect of xanax?

The reason my doc prescribed them was because I was having panic attacks when I was trying to go to bed (the usual, going to bed, thinking about stuff, ending up really upset to the point of not being able to breathe) and she prescribed them to me to help me get over this rough period. The whole fooking point of taking them is to help me relax and get some sleep but when I do take them, the dreams are nearly as upsetting as the reason for me taking them!

Has anyone else experienced this with xanax/have any tips to relax before going to bed and not have feckin nightmares/crying episodes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭C_Dawg

Anyone about tonight? lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭theredletter

Quick q- has Xanax affected anyone's dreams?

Have been going through a bit of a rough patch anxiety wise the last while, and my doctor gave me a small prescription of xanax to take as required (I can usually feel the panic attacks coming on). I have them here in front of me and they're plain white tablets, .25mg.

If I take one, I find it helps me clear my head a bit and go to sleep, but the dreams I'm having are really starting to freak me out. The rough patch is related to problems with my ex, and usually if I'm upset, it's because of him so he's obviously on my mind when I take the Xanax. I do be having dreams about him trying to kill me or of him kissing new girls in front of me (he asked someone to marry him in front of me in one dream) or just general weird crap that makes me wake up really upset.

Most of the time, the dreams are about my ex but sometimes they're about other stuff anyway the point is, is this a common side effect of xanax?

The reason my doc prescribed them was because I was having panic attacks when I was trying to go to bed (the usual, going to bed, thinking about stuff, ending up really upset to the point of not being able to breathe) and she prescribed them to me to help me get over this rough period. The whole fooking point of taking them is to help me relax and get some sleep but when I do take them, the dreams are nearly as upsetting as the reason for me taking them!

Has anyone else experienced this with xanax/have any tips to relax before going to bed and not have feckin nightmares/crying episodes?

I'm pretty sure the nightmares are from the anxiety and not from the Xanax. Discuss with your GP, of course, I can't be sure! I know that I was the same. I know that .25 of Xanax is the lowest dosage and it should only take a little edge off the anxiety. Ask can you take more than one at a time (give her a call, even)... If this continues I'd try see a CBT counselor who will help you get over your panic/ anxiety through accepting it! (I know, weird!)

Happy New Year

Hopefully next year will be a year some of us get things sorted.

phi3 wrote: »
    Hopefully next year will be a year some of us get things sorted.

Let's hope :)

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Reactor

Happy new year people, couldnt be worse than 2010, worst year of my life, not exactly a great one for Ireland either, onwards and upwards.

Happy New Year! My main resolution is to make a greater effort with myself. I think I've just been kinda waiting for things to turn themselves around, time to put some energy and control into my own life. :)

does anyone here who suffers from anxiety / depression take alcohol. i have anxiety and find that when i drink alcohol heavily i can be anxious for several weeks afterwards, or at least several days

mickman wrote: »
    does anyone here who suffers from anxiety / depression take alcohol. i have anxiety and find that when i drink alcohol heavily i can be anxious for several weeks afterwards, or at least several days

I rarely drink but even if I have a few, I get very depressed. So better I stay away from it really.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭SL10

mickman wrote: »

Hey Mickman,

Yeah I am completly the same. If I go on a big night out it can take me up to a week or two to recover. I tend to get panic attacks every day for a week or two after drinking a lot. I also find now that I can get anxious after having just a drink or two (both just after having the drink and then the next morning!)

To be honest I have pretty much given up drinking at this stage. Might have one night out a month where I have two or three drinks max! It really annoys me to be honest

SL10 wrote: »
    Hey Mickman,

Yeah I am completly the same. If I go on a big night out it can take me up to a week or two to recover. I tend to get panic attacks every day for a week or two after drinking a lot. I also find now that I can get anxious after having just a drink or two (both just after having the drink and then the next morning!)

To be honest I have pretty much given up drinking at this stage. Might have one night out a month where I have two or three drinks max! It really annoys me to be honest

its very strange as the alcohol dosent stay in the system that long, even though i have also read that mens testosterone production is affected for up to two weeks after drinking

anyway im going off it now as well. the regret that i have to deal with, the feeling of loss and guilt (even though i do nothing wrong) and feelings of depression just kill me and the anxiety stays around for so long!!

work today is like a night mare - will take two weeks now to be back to normal :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I hope Christmas has been good for everyone - even just bearable - especially for those who weren't looking forward to it.

My panic attacks are back.I thought I had them sort of under control. Haven't had one in a couple of weeks now, and I was feeling good about myself.And then...and then.... Last night was bad.Very bad.

Nobody is under any obligation to read the rest of this post, btw, I just have to get it out of my system.

I don't know if anyone else out there suffers from panic on a similar subject to this. I have the best OH in the world, who loves me very very much, and whom I love. But the recurrence of these panic attacks in the last month have been directed towards him, and I feel just so awful about it. I'm worried about everything - am I with the right guy, what's going to happen in the future, will we get divorced, what if we've to split up, will I be able to handle any future kids, is he the "right" one for me, do I love him enough, should I love him more, am I making the right decisions with my life, will I be happy always, how do I know the right decisions to make...it goes on and on and on.

I should say I'm with this guy 7 years, and I want more than anything to marry him and grow old with him.I always have, since day 1. He has never, ever, ever given me any reason not to trust him, I am always number 1 for him, he looks after me all the time. Which makes these completely irrational, stupid thoughts so much harder.They've come from nowhere, they're founded on nothing, and I wish to God they'd go back to where they came from. In my sane moments, I know this with all my heart. It's just the bad moments, when I really struggle....

Plus I've been lucky enough to get a new job recently that I'm starting soon, and now I'm getting uptight about that too, and on top of these panic attacks it's nearly becoming too much to handle.

I've noticed that when I cut out drinking coffee things got a bit better. Also when I relaxed...concentrated on letting my thoughts drift away, and stopped focusing on them all the time, things were a lot better. But last night it just hit me hard again for some reason, and I'm finding today very tough. It was his first day back at work today, and I'm on my own again all week, which scares me too - I don't like where my brain can go when I've nothing to do all day.

Sometimes I wish life could just be that little bit easier....even just for a couple of days....

• Advertisement

Posted this the other day, hope someone can advise me!

I've been depressed now for more than three years and been on medication until August. I have spent most of xmas with my family (the main reason I am depressed) and now I have moved away again and I feel very low.

I have gone to councelling and see my GP regularly but I havn't felt that this has done much good. Since comming off the meds I havn't felt the best like but everyone is adament that I am better off without meds.

My sleep pattern is all over the place, or more like I barely sleep at all and I am anxious most of the time. I have seen my GP a week or more ago as I had a chest infection but I didn't bring up the issue, tbh I don't know whats holding me back.

My family life was torment, I moved out four years ago and went to college to try and get away from the crap at home (by crap I mean domestic violence that went on over a number of years). The reason I went home for xmas was because I thought I could deal with it. I'm 22, I'm not a child anymore!

I did go out last night, wasn't drinking or anything. All I could do at 12 was cry, thinking how crap things were and that I was back in the same mess I was years ago!

Tonight I am all alone, after having a pretty crap new years and I am trying to pre-occupy myself until morning. I am quite anxious, I am wondering what I should do?

Hi all,

Thank you for you replies. Basically, I have been seeing the same counsellor for the past 2/3 years. Like she is very good and has been there for me, fitted me in extra when needed and that. I do get on well with her, at this point she knows everything about me I'd say!

As regards medication, I have been on three different types over the last couple years and having been referred to a psyciatrist in the hospital over the last year, they along with my GP in recent months have decided that meds are not the answer. I feel differently, even if I got some short-term relief, to me thats some progress if you know what I mean!

As well as all of the above, I have also seen a psychologist, again referred by my GP. This has more irratated me than anything. I have gone for 8/9 sessions but have made no progress, more likely because its in a hospital and its in some ways intimidating.

I think I'm at the point where I'm getting fed up of talk therapy and want to give meds another go! But when I brought it up with my GP, he was like there not going to solve the problems you have and the doctor at the hospital is taking the same view.

Now I don't know what to do, I want to give up seeing the counsellor and psychologist for a while, I know my GP or anyone else won't support this but I feel its my only option for the time being....any i right to do this??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

saddened2, we cannot tell you whether or not its right for you to take meds or continue therapy.... thats essentially medical advice which i snot allowed on this forum.

go back to your GP and discuss your concerns with him.

I've been coming off my medication for about 6 months now. Took it extremely slow cause I was a bit scared, but I'm on my last leg now. Don't think its working out for me though :( Lots of ups and downs and mostly downs lately. Think I'll have to go back to a high dosage. I have about 3 weeks left of my prescription, so I'll give it another week or 2, just in case its just Christmas blues or something. If not I'll go back to my doctor. I think I might have exaggerated how well I was doing to my doctor, mostly trying to prove to myself I could do it I guess. Now I'm scared to come off them completely and have all the side affects again if I want to start again.

I feel like a bit of a failure!

I feel like a bit of a failure!

It's a hard thing to do. I'm nowhere near the point where I feel I could cut down on meds so you're being really brave.

If you do have to go back to your doctor tis nothing to be ashamed of.

Look after yourself :)

I feel a bit silly, thinking my doctor will be disappointed in me :pac: Cause I did tell her I was doing better than I was. I think I was just kinda waiting and hoping things would get better by them self with some time. I feel bad for lying :P

I feel a bit silly, thinking my doctor will be disappointed in me :pac: Cause I did tell her I was doing better than I was. I think I was just kinda waiting and hoping things would get better by them self with some time. I feel bad for lying :P

no need to feel bad for lying , just get back down there and say " i lied and im not ready to decrease my meds" end of story

just do it!

Doing really bad at the moment.
    Just don't want to continue with life at all cos it seems totally pointless.

phi3 wrote: »
    Doing really bad at the moment.
    Just don't want to continue with life at all cos it seems totally pointless.

Not good to hear!

I'm online a lot if you want to chat or anything :)

Please try not to feel like that phi3.

I've just been reading back through this thread. I started at the very start (ie, your post!), and flicked through all the pages. And the stuff I've read! It's been so helpful. I'm on a week off, and staying in bed late, coz I can (though feeling a bit blue too, and have that whole teary-eyed for no reason feeling.), and this thread has made me feel so much better. It was actually a genius idea on your part to start it off, even if I'm only a newcomer to it. Do you have any idea how wonderful it is to find people who suffer from similar problems and feelings, to find all the pointers for advice that are there, and to see that I'm not alone when I'm feeling miserable? It's absolutely fantastic.

My OH has been "playing" a game with me lately - he asks me to think of 5 things I like about myself. Either personal appearance, personality, or how I live life. Do you know, it's the most difficult thing ever. I really, really struggled with coming up with just 5 things I like about myself.But....it's good too, because it's made me realise that maybe I am way too hard on myself about everything, maybe I'm not as pathetic as I think I am sometimes.

I don't really know why I'm saying all this, just in the hope that maybe it might make you feel a bit better...don't know if it will help at all.I really hope you feel ok soon, things aren't always as bad as they seem, and there's a lot to live for, no matter how hopeless you think your life is...other people see differently.

• Advertisement

i was fair down yesterday but much much much better today,went swimming last night, and into bed at 9.30

every time i woke during night i just thought of a nice thing, something silly like the sun shining in spain and im just hugely improved today

all about positive thinking

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement