Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

Just a general query - does anybody get physical symptoms such as pain / vomiting / IBS symptoms - after triggers related to past trauma?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,239 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Hersheys wrote: »
    Just a general query - does anybody get physical symptoms such as pain / vomiting / IBS symptoms - after triggers related to past trauma?

Yup, stress has odd effects on digestive systems for me, other people do different things, for instance hyperventilating - while worrying it's symptomatic so trauma still remains the top issue. (Probably very obvious but it took me years to figure out :o )

Yup, stress has odd effects on digestive systems for me, other people do different things, for instance hyperventilating - while worrying it's symptomatic so trauma still remains the top issue. (Probably very obvious but it took me years to figure out :o )

Yeah I get pretty severe GI symptoms... Been hospitalised on numerous occasions for the pain & puking etc. Trying to figure out if it could be related to the stress or if its purely coincidental.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Pro crastinator

Yeah I get pretty severe GI symptoms... Been hospitalised on numerous occasions for the pain & puking etc. Trying to figure out if it could be related to the stress or if its purely coincidental.

Definitely stress. Chronic elevated cortisol >> dysregulation of the HPA axis >> mood disorders, IBS, chronic fatigue and other chronic conditions. I've awful GI pain & cramping recently, was checked for gallstones etc but nothing showed up. It's probably IBS-like symptoms from years of anxiety combined with drugs that make me constipated.

Been researching lately what's scientifically proven to reduce cortisol in an effort to help myself get well. Magnesium and omega-3 supplements are good. As is music/movement therapy (think listening to music you love, tai-chi, yoga, dance, even just an oul stroll). Laughter is scientifically proven to reduce cortisol, so get watching some comedy. Also black tea!

Other general stress-relief activities couldn't hurt like meditation, reading a good book, relaxation techniques etc. I'm building up my stress-relief arsenal, do post any other suggestions you have :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

Hi guys, do you think making an offer on a house by email is acceptable if you're too scared to do it over the phone?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,239 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

phi3 wrote: »
    Hi guys, do you think making an offer on a house is acceptable if you're too scared to do it over the phone?

What way are you intending on making the offer?

What way are you intending on making the offer?

Sorry! By email.

Sorry! By email.

No worries, yeah mail away, a sale is a sale they should be fine with it.. Suppose they might want to check you are genuine, but sure you'll have paperwork for that.. Best of luck too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Hi guys, do you think making an offer on a house by email is acceptable if you're too scared to do it over the phone?

Are you really ready to make an offer on the house? Whether making an offer by phone or email, are you certain this is the house for you.
    Purchasing an house is one of the most stressful times in one's life. Take a deep breath and make sure it is the one for you:)

Are you really ready to make an offer on the house? Whether making an offer by phone or email, are you certain this is the house for you.
    Purchasing an house is one of the most stressful times in one's life. Take a deep breath and make sure it is the one for you:)

I know. I've been thinking about it for three weeks. Been drawing plans and making pros and cons lists and working out my finances. I know it's really stressful. But I don't think it's going to get any less stressful if i leave it another few years.
    Is it the perfect house? I don't know. I do worry that as soon as I buy it, a better one will come along the next day. But again this is something that's always going to be a problem. I am really stressed about it though. Keep thinking of problems like how does one fit a sofa through doorways and upstairs!

• Advertisement

I know. I've been thinking about it for three weeks. Been drawing plans and making pros and cons lists and working out my finances. I know it's really stressful. But I don't think it's going to get any less stressful if i leave it another few years.
    Is it the perfect house? I don't know. I do worry that as soon as I buy it, a better one will come along the next day. But again this is something that's always going to be a problem. I am really stressed about it though. Keep thinking of problems like how does one fit a sofa through doorways and upstairs!

Buying a house should not be the most important thing in your life. Your health is far more important.
    There are lots of house buyers in Ireland who for various reasons now regret ever buying a property.
    My best advice is don't stress yourself, even if it means deferring the purchase of your home for another 6 or 12 months.
    If you are getting very stressed now , will proceeding with the purchase now, make you feel more or less stressed?
    The Irish Property Market remains in turmoil, there is never a good time to buy or sell.
    Remember it is your decision, don't get carried away with so called experts talking about property price rises on the way. It is complete bull****, people who have personal interests in trying to stir the market. Like the value of shares may rise as well as fall.
    If you feel you have found the right house and can afford it,make your own informed decision. Consider it a bit like a marriage, it is a long term commitment which you will take on board , in sickness and in health.
    I am not suggesting not to buy an house nor getting married either, simply don't put the house first ,ahead of your health .
    There will be plenty more houses to choose from. If you like the area the house is in but are having cold feet about buying, perhaps rent a similar property in the same development for 12 months and at least satisfy yourself that it is the right area for you.
    Whatever you decide, be happy and healthy!
    Feel free to post again , perhaps there are other aspects to consider or satisfy.:)

I think buying a house is always going to be stressful. I know that if I decided not to do it just because I'm too big a coward would upset me a lot more in the long term. I don't want all that stuff to put my life on hold anymore. If I see a house I want to buy surely I should be allowed buy it just like anyone else.
    Yes I am nervous about making phone calls. I'm afraid that me offering below the asking will make him laugh at me. I know it's ridiculous so I'm trying to find ways to make it a bit easier for me.

I think buying a house is always going to be stressful. I know that if I decided not to do it just because I'm too big a coward would upset me a lot more in the long term. I don't want all that stuff to put my life on hold anymore. If I see a house I want to buy surely I should be allowed buy it just like anyone else.
    Yes I am nervous about making phone calls. I'm afraid that me offering below the asking will make him laugh at me. I know it's ridiculous so I'm trying to find ways to make it a bit easier for me.

Absolutely you should buy an house , just like anyone else.

I would not care about offering below the asking price and someone laughing at me.

Go for it!

Been hospitalised a number of times.

Stress caused symptoms of a heart attack, Chest pain,vomiting, high blood pressure.

Also had arthroscopy and colonoscopy on several occasions, pain in chest , stomach, coughing blood, passing blood, all of these issues were stress related, confirmed by my Consultant Gastroenterologist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I CANNOT DEAL WITH BEING UP AND DOWN CONSTANTLY ANYMORE!!! Jesus I wish it would just stop.

I CANNOT DEAL WITH BEING UP AND DOWN CONSTANTLY ANYMORE!!! Jesus I wish it would just stop.

Hang in there. On pm if you want. I don't want to make assumptions so I won't but could you see yourself talking to a doctor about it? And if you are on meds getting them adjusted? Meds help the ups and downs.

Hang in there. On pm if you want. I don't want to make assumptions so I won't but could you see yourself talking to a doctor about it? And if you are on meds getting them adjusted? Meds help the ups and downs.

I will at some stage. I just don't have the money for it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

I will at some stage. I just don't have the money for it now.

Would a medical card be an option NC?

Would a medical card be an option NC?

I don't qualify unfortunately.

I don't qualify unfortunately.

That's rough. I know how expensive meds can be without one.

• Advertisement

That's rough. I know how expensive meds can be without one.

That's the thing. It's only meds that would cost anything because I have a GP visit card. Not sure I actually want meds anyway :o

Not sure I actually want meds anyway :o

How are you handling it without them NC?

I came off meds 2 months ago. Its tough, but something I feel I'm able to do. The door always remains open to go back on them if I need.

I'm losing my medical card in December it would seem. Dreading it - I need regular doctor check ups for other long term illnesses and my meds for those (asthma, tummy stuff) cost a fortune! I don't mind paying for the doctor - that'd e50 every month or two, but I can't face the e140 a month!

Jesus I don't know if I could ever come off mine. I would love to though.

Jesus I don't know if I could ever come off mine. I would love to though.
    Do you see a therapist? And what is your diagnosis (if you don't mind me asking?)

Do you see a therapist? And what is your diagnosis (if you don't mind me asking?)

I have clinical depression and am told my anxiety is part of that.

I've see therapists on and off over the last few years.

I don't have depression. Depression is a symptom of my BPD. For the time being I have that symptom under control but I'm aware I may need meds again in the future. For the time being I'm okay off them.

Glad to hear you're doing alright there Hersheys :)

I often wonder do I have anything else other than clinical depression.

Have you ever had a referral to a pyschiatrist? Or are you controleld by your GP?

• Advertisement

Have you ever had a referral to a pyschiatrist? Or are you controleld by your GP?

Yeah have been under a psychiatrist's care for a few years now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement