Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ulinbac

just had a **** experience with a psychitrist in the mental health unit.first doctor took my details and did the questionaire bollocks.very dismissive of my symptoms which are severe anxiety and a depression resulting from this.ive felt like im struggling to breath and have constant awareness of this,cannot relax for months now.ive got sleeping problems including sleep paralysis which ive had had for years and wake up exhausted each day,apparently this is normal and everyone has this!?wtf..he instead chose to focus on my social phobia which isnt my main problem.im taking 250mg of lyrica because of the side effects from lexapro and other ssris and having no joy from this med."why are you here?" and "what do you expect us to do?" were just examples of the horrible comments from this prick.he said go back to your GP and double your dose,read self help books(already done that countless times!)go for therapy(been there,done that).by the time the consultant came in this other clown had made his mind up for him.
    i feel like im now trapped in this alone,im off work because i feel like im having a breakdown in there.does lyrica help for my problem or anyone have expierence with it?dont know whether to double the lyrica or go back on a higher dose of effexor or lexapro which wasnt helping at all.mental health services are a ****ing joke,id pinned my hopes on this appointment and feel absolutely crushed right now.ive been referred to galway services as it was my hometown unit i was at but work and live in galway.hope they are more clued up! btw these guys were indian and clueless imo

Hi Jack,

First of all it doesn't make any difference if these guys were Indian, Irish etc. and its very difficult to get out of India, only the top guys do!

Were they not fair questions? What do you expect them to do? Wave a magic wand and you're cured? I don't mean that in a cruel or harsh way as its not meant like that. What do you want from the therapy?

When can you get an appointment with a psych in Galway? Go see our GP asap! Are you private or public?

(Mods if that last question about private/public is inappropriate please delete)

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭murria

Quiet enough on here lately, hoping that's a good sign.. :)

Hope you're not slagging me there Gremlinertia! Maybe I've given you my worried mammy virus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

ulinbac wrote: »
    Hi Jack,

First of all it doesn't make any difference if these guys were Indian, Irish etc. and its very difficult to get out of India, only the top guys do!

Were they not fair questions? What do you expect them to do? Wave a magic wand and you're cured? I don't mean that in a cruel or harsh way as its not meant like that. What do you want from the therapy?

When can you get an appointment with a psych in Galway? Go see our GP asap! Are you private or public?

(Mods if that last question about private/public is inappropriate please delete)

+1 on this. The psychiatrist I saw was a clown. And that comparison is doing clowns a disservice. It has nothing to do with nationality; it's just the nature of their speciality. I needed to remind myself that he is a trained professional who is taught about every psychiatric illness under the sun and is taught how to diagnose them. Although I did not agree with him at the time, in hindsight his diagnosis was spot on. However a diagnosis is only half of it - the treatment is also important.

You need to sort out your meds by talking to a medical professional rather than speculating on the Internet. Everybody has different experiences with different drugs.

You also say therapy doesn't work: would you consider a different therapist? There is a world of therapies out there.

And yes. It would be beneficial to see a private psych if you're not happy with the diagnosis/services going public.

Hang in there. It does get easier. Promise.

Quiet enough on here lately, hoping that's a good sign.. :)

Tis a good sign from my end.

It's been a long year between referrals here, there and everywhere, changing doctors, changing therapists, seeing the biggest range of mental health professionals... Personally it was a tough year - work issues, family issues, health issues, and dealing with a diagnosis.

One suicide attempt. Countless episodes of self harm. I lost track of the self destructive behaviour.

But I'm here.

Med free.

Discharged from therapist.

Dare I say it: happy.

It can be done. Stick with it.

Hersheys wrote: »

It's been a long year between referrals here, there and everywhere, changing doctors, changing therapists, seeing the biggest range of mental health professionals... Personally it was a tough year - work issues, family issues, health issues, and dealing with a diagnosis.

One suicide attempt. Countless episodes of self harm. I lost track of the self destructive behaviour.

But I'm here.

Med free.

Feel very moved reading that Hersheys, proof indeed that its possible to come back from the most desperate of situations. I'm delighted for you that you are where you are now. That happiness was so hard earned I hope you continue to enjoy it for the longest time. :)

• Advertisement

murria wrote: »
    Feel very moved reading that Hersheys, proof indeed that its possible to come back from the most desperate of situations. I'm delighted for you that you are where you are now. That happiness was so hard earned I hope you continue to enjoy it for the longest time. :)
    Seemed fitting to post my story on world suicide awareness day; I hope my story can inspire others and show that it is possible to do the impossible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

But I'm here.

Med free.

Well done!

Your story should inspire many of us here.

I am truly delighted for you and wish that you go from strength to strength.

Kindest Regards,

Del

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Great to hear, Hersheys. Long may it continue.

In terms of the 'Bad Doctor' (sounds like a billy-bob thornton sequel) conundrum where patients (us) complain about a psychologist/psychiatrist/GP the one thing I've almost always noted is that the questions themselves are usually fair. What makes complainants of people is usually the seeming emotionless, confrontational attitude and their own bewilderment that is a symptom of living with a mental illness.

In fairness to almost all medical professionals, this is how they do their job for everyone. The difference I feel for mental health is often the patient is so confused and frustrated from chronic pain which cannot be exactly pinpointed that they can rightly feel overwhelmed, and not see themselves how to get out of things.

The cold, hard, truth of it is that there are limited options, usually a mixture of drugs and therapy, that require a strong will (which often is not there in someone who has been suffering confusingly for long periods of time) and a clear vision. This is where the gap between patients and doctors comes and leads to the complaints in my experience. The doctors are seeing things from the objective sobriety of a healthy mind, and are in essence usually "right" but a lot gets lost in translation.

For me, I would like to see more ex-patients, people who have successfully cleared themselves of the fog speaking to patients. It's just a thought and it's probably not feasible but I think patients find it hard to hear things from someone who they assume, rightly or wrongly, has never had this kind of problem. We trust doctors to fix a broken leg even if they've never had a broken leg because there is a precise and definite way to fix a broken leg. On the patients part, there is no need for information, advice or confidence that the leg will be fixed. Wear your cast, sit down for a few weeks/months, rehabilitate slowly and IT WILL BE FIXED. For mental health, the last part is the missing link. The confidence of knowing it WILL BE FIXED if you do the right things.

That's my little waffle on the nature of doctor/patient relations for what it's worth - discussion I suppose.

The progression I usually see is that after years of looking to psychiatrists/psychologists for help, people who haven't been cured realise unfortunately that it is, essentially, all on them. This is usually where the most progress is made. Moving from passivity, to taking initiative. Maybe there is a quotient of pain that must be experience before the maturity comes to realise it's either this pain, or a little less pain.

Having said all this, I gave up a few years ago with medical people, I definitely wasn't mature enough at the time, I don't feel like I am still. Something, imo, has to click in YOUR mind. It hasn't clicked in mine. Maybe it will one day.

In terms of the 'Bad Doctor' (sounds like a billy-bob thornton sequel) conundrum where patients (us) complain about a psychologist/psychiatrist/GP the one thing I've almost always noted is that the questions themselves are usually fair. What makes complainants of people is usually the seeming emotionless, confrontational attitude and their own bewilderment that is a symptom of living with a mental illness.

In fairness to almost all medical professionals, this is how they do their job for everyone. The difference I feel for mental health is often the patient is so confused and frustrated from chronic pain which cannot be exactly pinpointed that they can rightly feel overwhelmed, and not see themselves how to get out of things.

The cold, hard, truth of it is that there are limited options, usually a mixture of drugs and therapy, that require a strong will (which often is not there in someone who has been suffering confusingly for long periods of time) and a clear vision. This is where the gap between patients and doctors comes and leads to the complaints in my experience. The doctors are seeing things from the objective sobriety of a healthy mind, and are in essence usually "right" but a lot gets lost in translation.

For me, I would like to see more ex-patients, people who have successfully cleared themselves of the fog speaking to patients. It's just a thought and it's probably not feasible but I think patients find it hard to hear things from someone who they assume, rightly or wrongly, has never had this kind of problem. We trust doctors to fix a broken leg even if they've never had a broken leg because there is a precise and definite way to fix a broken leg. On the patients part, there is no need for information, advice or confidence that the leg will be fixed. Wear your cast, sit down for a few weeks/months, rehabilitate slowly and IT WILL BE FIXED. For mental health, the last part is the missing link. The confidence of knowing it WILL BE FIXED if you do the right things.

That's my little waffle on the nature of doctor/patient relations for what it's worth - discussion I suppose.

The progression I usually see is that after years of looking to psychiatrists/psychologists for help, people who haven't been cured realise unfortunately that it is, essentially, all on them. This is usually where the most progress is made. Moving from passivity, to taking initiative. Maybe there is a quotient of pain that must be experience before the maturity comes to realise it's either this pain, or a little less pain.

Having said all this, I gave up a few years ago with medical people, I definitely wasn't mature enough at the time, I don't feel like I am still. Something, imo, has to click in YOUR mind. It hasn't clicked in mine. Maybe it will one day.

Jimmy,

Perhaps the key word is hope.?

IMO we cannot give up hope. We must rely on the expertise of the medical personnel involved. Medicine is not an exact science. Twenty years ago there was no cure for cancer, thankfully 1000s of patients diagnosed with C. make full recoveries, and go on to lead normal happy lives.

Similarly, I believe, and hope with chemical interventions and the ongoing development of drugs, people like us can eventually make the break through necessary to change the focus of our lives , regain our lives and move onto living normal lives.

Where there is hope there is life!

Take good care of yourself Jimmy.

Best Wishes,

Del:)

Hope was the word missing from my post del. I suppose a sign that it is missing for me. I appreciate your words, I hope you are staying strong!

• Advertisement

Hope was the word missing from my post del. I suppose a sign that it is missing for me. I appreciate your words, I hope you are staying strong!

Thanks Jimmy.

Yes thank you, I am staying strong.

Everyday is a new day and when I get out of bed I endeavour to achieve a lists of tasks I set myself, whether it is cooking a meal, walking the dog, or trimming the lawn.
    Even if I don't achieve them all I put the remaining tasks on my hope list for next day.

Later this week I hope to meet many of our comrades at the Coffee and Chat on Friday evening.

No pressure, but I hope you can make it. If you feel like it on the day, perhaps you may consider popping in for half an hour, if the mood grabs you.

We all have the same issue in common, so nobody is at a disadvantage.

Sure as the time comes closer , I will be thinking why am I attending?

I guess my primary reason for attending is to say Thank You to all the wonderful people here on Boards who have inspired and supported me over the last 12 months and most importantly given me hope.

Best Wishes,

Bear with me on this but I think television has a lot to answer for.

People see psychs on tv and assume psychs in real life will be the same when in reality they are not. Tv shows are based in America where psychiatrists/psychologists/therapists/etc can be interchangeable. We expect an hour long session with our psych to tease out the intricacies of our meds, our problems, our approaches. In reality we get 10 mins (if we're lucky) where a script is thrown at us!!

Maybe a tv show (it can be a comedy) dealing with mental health issues may be beneficial.

Just a thought.

Bear with me on this but I think television has a lot to answer for.

People see psychs on tv and assume psychs in real life will be the same when in reality they are not. Tv shows are based in America where psychiatrists/psychologists/therapists/etc can be interchangeable. We expect an hour long session with our psych to tease out the intricacies of our meds, our problems, our approaches. In reality we get 10 mins (if we're lucky) where a script is thrown at us!!

Maybe a tv show (it can be a comedy) dealing with mental health issues may be beneficial.

Just a thought.

Interesting thought.

To be fair I must point out that my team of Medics have always been extremely generous with their time. Never have I been given only 10 mins nor a script thrown at me! I am not sure there is a set time limit per se ?
    I accept the medics involved are extremely busy people, but at no stage have I felt rushed, indeed I always feel I am treated with the utmost kindness:)

Interesting thought.

To be fair I must point out that my team of Medics have always been extremely generous with their time. Never have I been given only 10 mins nor a script thrown at me! I am not sure there is a set time limit per se ?
    I accept the medics involved are extremely busy people, but at no stage have I felt rushed, indeed I always feel I am treated with the utmost kindness:)

Well in that case del you have been lucky!

My experience with the local (public) psych team was much different. Initial assessment took time but follow up appointments were 10-15 minutes. I told him I was actively suicidal (with notes written & and definite plan) and he told me to talk to a friend. Not bad advice but when you're in crisis it's hard. I was meant to be monitored when my meds were being changed: I wasn't & stopped my meds because I couldn't handle the thoughts. When I told the psych he said to start them again, even if I was having thoughts. I wasn't given time to ask questions about my diagnosis. When I was given a script it was rushed and never explained. Public therapy was better but there was a huge element of clock watching. I understand they are under resources but it was hard to open up and have to stop talking 55 mins in no matter what.

But hey, going public worked. But I can understand the frustrations.

Well in that case del you have been lucky!

My experience with the local (public) psych team was much different. Initial assessment took time but follow up appointments were 10-15 minutes. I told him I was actively suicidal (with notes written & and definite plan) and he told me to talk to a friend. Not bad advice but when you're in crisis it's hard. I was meant to be monitored when my meds were being changed: I wasn't & stopped my meds because I couldn't handle the thoughts. When I told the psych he said to start them again, even if I was having thoughts. I wasn't given time to ask questions about my diagnosis. When I was given a script it was rushed and never explained. Public therapy was better but there was a huge element of clock watching. I understand they are under resources but it was hard to open up and have to stop talking 55 mins in no matter what.

But hey, going public worked. But I can understand the frustrations.

You are quite correct Hershey, it certainly worked for you. You have done very well and I hope you continue to go from strength to strength.

Best wishes always,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Advice needed please!!!!!

Ugh having a blip the past few days. It all started yesterday when I felt a lump at the back of my head/neck. I panicked for a little while and those awful dreaded feelings of anxiety returned. This morning I felt the anxiety again even though I'm not worried about the lump which I'm told is a gland. I took a valium to take the edge off things which it has. I'm just worried ill go back to the state I was in I spent 3 months trying to find the right medication and in hospital 3 times. I've been well for about 5/6 weeks. Any tips or support as to how I may be able to get through this 'blip' thanks. I'm at home with my 3 kids. Any advice would be so welcome x

Hi :)

Sorry to hear you're feeling anxious.

If it's okay to ask - do you see a therapist? Or have you in the past? If not it may be something to look into as I got my anxiety under control through mindfulness. Mindfulness (to me) sounds like a load of bull and I was so skeptical about trying it, but I cannot tell you the difference it has made to my anxiety and self harm urges.

There are guided meditations on youtube to assist in the initial stages. http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=guided+mindfulness+meditation+for+anxiety&oq=guided+mindf&gs_l=youtube.3.3.0l10.333.2747.0.6363.12.6.0.0.0.0.58.189.5.5.0...0.0...1ac.1.11.youtube.KvbjcAEWsCk

Aside from that:
    - positive reassurance: when you get an anxious thought listen to it and reassure yourself that it's only a gland. You are on the right medication and you can, and will, get through this.
    - play with your kids: kids light up the world
    - distraction: play a game, listen to music, wrap up and go for a walk

Remember: it is only a blip.

Thanks so much Hersheys your post means a lot to me and I will be reading it again and again.

I'm on PM if you want to chat. I am in a good place and willing to help / talk / reassure!

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭OkayWhatever

Can I join in on this :o

Got diagnosed with depression in March and it's still so overwhelming for me.. I just can't seem to accept it.

Bad things just keep seem to be coming one after another these days, so hard to deal with and completely unsure of where to even begin?

Feeling alone is starting to absolutely destroy me :(

• Advertisement

Got diagnosed with depression in March and it's still so overwhelming for me.. I just can't seem to accept it.

Bad things just keep seem to be coming one after another these days, so hard to deal with and completely unsure of where to even begin?

The more the merrier :)

How are you managing with your depression? Is it controlled by medication?

I understand the "bad things happening" thing - sometimes you just can't get out of the cycle.

Do you have supports in "real life"? Doctors? Family? Friends? I'm guessing not if you're feeling alone :(

Would you consider a support group?

Hang in there, it does get better ;)

Got a call there my psychiatrist wants me to meet her this afternoon.

lukesmom wrote: »
    Can you make it? No harm is "checking in" with the psych whenever you can.

Can you make it? No harm is "checking in" with the psych whenever you can.

Yeah I can make it just got minder for kids.

lukesmom wrote: »

Hi lukesmom, I always say there's no such thing as a coincidence, and the fact that the psychiatrist called while you were having a blip is perfect timing.

With regard to the lump, I had one when my son was a baby and went into total overdrive (planning funerals, "who will look after my children" sort of things). Anyway turned out it was an enlarged lymph node and I'm still here, 17 years later and so is the lump it never got any bigger or smaller.

Hersheys' advice is excellent, mindfulness is excellent for calming yourself down. I always put on a piece of beautiful piano music and focus on every note. It doesn't necessarily solve all your problems but it gives the mind a bit of clarity to deal with the problems.

Hope you're OK. :)

murria wrote: »
    Hi lukesmom, I always say there's no such thing as a coincidence, and the fact that the psychiatrist called while you were having a blip is perfect timing.

With regard to the lump, I had one when my son was a baby and went into total overdrive (planning funerals, "who will look after my children" sort of things). Anyway turned out it was an enlarged lymph node and I'm still here, 17 years later and so is the lump it never got any bigger or smaller.

Hersheys' advice is excellent, mindfulness is excellent for calming yourself down. I always put on a piece of beautiful piano music and focus on every note. It doesn't necessarily solve all your problems but it gives the mind a bit of clarity to deal with the problems.

Hope you're OK. :)

Thanks. No it was because I rang a nurse from the homebase team that he spoked to my psych doctor. I will go in and hopefully they can put my mind at ease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Welcome along friend :)

I think we all feel things coming in waves at times. You will be able to handle this better though - it might take some time and help but you will get there.

Loneliness does truly suck but keep posting here.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭OkayWhatever

The more the merrier :)

How are you managing with your depression? Is it controlled by medication?

I understand the "bad things happening" thing - sometimes you just can't get out of the cycle.

Do you have supports in "real life"? Doctors? Family? Friends? I'm guessing not if you're feeling alone :(

Would you consider a support group?

Hang in there, it does get better ;)

I was put on medication for 3 months and took it every day..it made me feel awful. I felt absolutely exhausted, on top of my other feelings so I stopped taking it and haven't gone back to the doctor to discuss alternative options.. I put this down to me just not being able to accept the depression and wishing I wake up the next morning and it'll all be better, basically running away from it.

My mother knows about it but doesn't talk to me about it, a few of my friends know but they just don't understand. I have a boyfriend, we're together 3 years now. He just doesn't seem to understand me. I think he's scared too and just completely clueless on the whole situation. He tries to distance himself a little bit, i'm often left to cry by myself and make myself feel better. I know it's because he just doesn't have a clue what to do, he's never seen me this bad. I know he needs support but it's so hard to support him when I can barely support myself.
    You could throw me in a room of a million people and I feel like I would still feel alone.

I would consider support groups but i'm a bit ( a lot ;) ) of a crier.. It doesn't take much at all to make me cry these days and I feel like I would just make a fool out of myself if I went and just cried for the whole thing :o

Thank you so much for taking the time out to reply to me and listen to my rants, i'm just gonna sit tight and wait for it to get better :)

I was put on medication for 3 months and took it every day..it made me feel awful. I felt absolutely exhausted, on top of my other feelings so I stopped taking it and haven't gone back to the doctor to discuss alternative options.. I put this down to me just not being able to accept the depression and wishing I wake up the next morning and it'll all be better, basically running away from it.

My mother knows about it but doesn't talk to me about it, a few of my friends know but they just don't understand. I have a boyfriend, we're together 3 years now. He just doesn't seem to understand me. I think he's scared too and just completely clueless on the whole situation. He tries to distance himself a little bit, i'm often left to cry by myself and make myself feel better. I know it's because he just doesn't have a clue what to do, he's never seen me this bad. I know he needs support but it's so hard to support him when I can barely support myself.
    You could throw me in a room of a million people and I feel like I would still feel alone.

I would consider support groups but i'm a bit ( a lot ;) ) of a crier.. It doesn't take much at all to make me cry these days and I feel like I would just make a fool out of myself if I went and just cried for the whole thing :o

Thank you so much for taking the time out to reply to me and listen to my rants, i'm just gonna sit tight and wait for it to get better :)

One thing to be thankful for is your ability to cry imo. Very cathartic, I rarely can summon up any sort of real emotion despite my horrendous situation!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

I rarely can summon up any sort of real emotion despite my horrendous situation!

I'm the opposite, when I'm bad I can't talk about it to my family without getting all emotional and bawling! :D:o

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement