Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

ulinbac wrote: »
    Could you have it on a Saturday next time? Will come over from London then. Can't do weekdays.

Why not? Saturday it is then. Before Christmas? Any ideas? Venue?:)

Folks please feel free to post ideas, suggestions:)

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ulinbac

Sounds like a plan. Early December?

Was there drinks the last time or non alcoholic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Theres a very nice cafe in rathmines, but thats more of a day time thing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭murria

Sounds like a plan. Early December?

Was there drinks the last time or non alcoholic?

It sounds like you will be travelling farthest, so which date would suit you best, 30th November or 7th December maybe?

Last time there was alcohol, coffee and minerals, whatever people wanted really, it was very relaxed and easy. :)

• Advertisement

cloud493 wrote: »
    Theres a very nice cafe in rathmines, but thats more of a day time thing :)

I was actually going to suggest an afternoon meetup. Rathmines is fine for me, but if people were coming from outside of Dublin maybe somewhere in town might be handier. Just a thought.

murria wrote: »
    It sounds like you will be travelling farthest, so which date would suit you best, 30th November or 7th December maybe?

Last time there was alcohol, coffee and minerals, whatever people wanted really, it was very relaxed and easy. :)

I would prefer the 7th but open to suggestions. Im in London but travel a lot with work. Project finishes here in November so dont know where will be based until end of October. Could be Ireland, uk or further afield.

What were numbers like the last day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭tosspot15

I finally did it! Spoke to my GP and cried my eyes out. She was really understanding and so helpfull! I was initially afraid I wouldnt be taken seriously but I was wrong.

Feels like a huge weight of my chest now. Going to attend some counselling and hopefully start on some medication. Unfortunately I couldnt start the meds right away as nearly all anti-depressant/anxiety meds conflicted with another medication I'm taking so I have to wait a few days while my GP contacts a psychiatrist to discuss it.

:)

I would prefer the 7th but open to suggestions. Im in London but travel a lot with work. Project finishes here in November so dont know where will be based until end of October. Could be Ireland, uk or further afield.

What were numbers like the last day?

Single figures. It was the first meet up! I guess there were other people interested in attending but could not make it for various reasons on the night eg on holidays etc.

Based on the feedback and further enquiries I would anticipate the numbers will grow. It was a very friendly laid back atmosphere, with absolutely no pressure on anyone.

May I make a suggestion? If anyone thinks they would prefer to bring along a friend or partner for support they should do so to enable them break the ice!
    Any objections? It may help one's partner or friend understand what you are going through.

At the last meet up , it was a very enjoyable evening, lots of chat, stories, very relaxed atmosphere. No doubt the attendees were apprehensive before they arrived. We are just ordinary people, like anyone else!

tosspot15 wrote: »
    I finally did it! Spoke to my GP and cried my eyes out. She was really understanding and so helpfull! I was initially afraid I wouldnt be taken seriously but I was wrong.

Feels like a huge weight of my chest now. Going to attend some counselling and hopefully start on some medication. Unfortunately I couldnt start the meds right away as nearly all anti-depressant/anxiety meds conflicted with another medication I'm taking so I have to wait a few days while my GP contacts a psychiatrist to discuss it.

Well done! You have now taken the first steps on the road to your recovery. Remember be gentle and kind to yourself,because you are worth it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

Good job, and great from your GP that she recognises her limitations. Fingers crosses it will all start to look up from here on in.

Great stuff, you're on the ladder now. Hope you can start to make some progress towards a better quality of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,054 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Would it be an idea to have separate threads for anxiety and depression? As someone who suffers from anxiety but not depression I would like to read more views from people with anxiety.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

This week has just felt awful. Feel really lethargic and depressed, self harming and thoughts of killing myself. Hopefully it'll go away again

titan18 wrote: »
    This week has just felt awful. Feel really lethargic and depressed, self harming and thoughts of killing myself. Hopefully it'll go away again

Well done on posting.
    Please contact your GP if you have not already done so.
    You need to take very great care of yourself.Tiredness,lethargy and thoughts will pass.
    I have been in your situation and therefore would be grateful if you would give me an undertaking to seek medical attention immediately. Some years ago I gave my Counsellor such an undertaking and today I am very glad I did.
    Please, things will get better:)

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Marzipan85

Hi all,

Just thought I'd mention a yogic breathing technique here that might help people deal with stress/anxiety. I've just recently come across this practice, am going to try it out for a few weeks and will let anyone know benefits I get from it if they're interested. The breathing technique is called 'breath of fire' or 'kapalabhati' breathing.

there are few short videos explaining what it is on YouTube. here are links:

http://youtu.be/V86Xao9bcRI
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQB9q1gQXlI&feature=share&list=FL7y1I5_AxXg9YFmzxeMgRYQ
    http://youtu.be/OKqWXieA_8c
    http://youtu.be/1gpYEvALCZA
    http://youtu.be/ZBjnograjq4

You don't have to be able to sit cross-legged. You can stand or sit either. And you don't have to listen to Indian music whilst doing it!

Just so people know, I am trying this out along with taking medication. Am not one of those people who think alternative therapy can fix everything.

M

Marzipan85 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just thought I'd mention a yogic breathing technique here that might help people deal with stress/anxiety. I've just recently come across this practice, am going to try it out for a few weeks and will let anyone know benefits I get from it if they're interested. The breathing technique is called 'breath of fire' or 'kapalabhati' breathing.

there are few short videos explaining what it is on YouTube. here are links:

http://youtu.be/V86Xao9bcRI
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQB9q1gQXlI&feature=share&list=FL7y1I5_AxXg9YFmzxeMgRYQ
    http://youtu.be/OKqWXieA_8c
    http://youtu.be/1gpYEvALCZA
    http://youtu.be/ZBjnograjq4

You don't have to be able to sit cross-legged. You can stand or sit either. And you don't have to listen to Indian music whilst doing it!

Just so people know, I am trying this out along with taking medication. Am not one of those people who think alternative therapy can fix everything.

M
    I would be interested. I was (am) always skeptical about breathing exercises / mindfulness / the power of positive thinking (I'm a scientist) but having made progress with mindfulness I could be persuaded to broaden my horizons :)

Having a blip. I'm okay, I have just lost the edge of positivity that's been surrounding me for the past few weeks. I haven't hit negativity - far from it! I think I've just reached my balanced level of happy / sad. On the upside I have been able to control my emotions and I let myself be sad (and cry!) rather than bottle it all up. I had an almighty urge to do a bad thing but I managed to control my breathing and work through it in a calm, rational manner.

Very unlike me ;)

Hersheys wrote: »
    I would be interested. I was (am) always skeptical about breathing exercises / mindfulness / the power of positive thinking (I'm a scientist) but having made progress with mindfulness I could be persuaded to broaden my horizons :)

Having a blip. I'm okay, I have just lost the edge of positivity that's been surrounding me for the past few weeks. I haven't hit negativity - far from it! I think I've just reached my balanced level of happy / sad. On the upside I have been able to control my emotions and I let myself be sad (and cry!) rather than bottle it all up. I had an almighty urge to do a bad thing but I managed to control my breathing and work through it in a calm, rational manner.

Very unlike me ;)

Hersheys you're doing fine there. Its so important to feel your emotions, otherwise you would just be numb and that's no life at all. Happy/sad, angry/calm, high/low its all normal, feel your feelings and then let them pass. Well done on not doing the "bad thing". Mindfulness is great, I would also recommend FasterEFT, if you're not familiar with it there are load of videos on Youtube. Look after yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Chrisita

Like Hersheys, I am a bit scientific in my approach, although I get great benefit from yoga too. I insisted to all and sundry that my relentless anxiety was a physical rather than a mental problem and after many years of searching these are what I have found. 1. Avoiding sugar spikes from junk and processed foods 2. copper overload 3. histadellia 4. pyroluria 5. Having celtic sea salt several times a day. ( this is mainly for fatigue, the others are mainly for anxiety. Feel free to PM me if I can help anyone. I have fought the battle of my life with all of this and after 20 years believe that I am almost my old self once more....just 20 years older.

I meant to also add that I also had chronic depression. There could already be info regarding these conditions in this thread, as I have not read all of it yet. There is one Dr in Dublin who treats these conditions and he once told me that the most common problem in Ireland is copper overload. This makes us wired and tired, stressed and exhausted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

I assume that's copper in food? Are their particular foods which are high in it?

Chrisita wrote: »
    Like Hersheys, I am a bit scientific in my approach, although I get great benefit from yoga too. I insisted to all and sundry that my relentless anxiety was a physical rather than a mental problem and after many years of searching these are what I have found. 1. Avoiding sugar spikes from junk and processed foods 2. copper overload 3. histadellia 4. pyroluria 5. Having celtic sea salt several times a day. ( this is mainly for fatigue, the others are mainly for anxiety. Feel free to PM me if I can help anyone. I have fought the battle of my life with all of this and after 20 years believe that I am almost my old self once more....just 20 years older.

Hi Christia,

Could you please explain your list.

1. Avoiding sugar spikes from junk and processed foods - Agree with this
    2. copper overload - Why just copper and not iron and other Vitamins
    3. histadellia - What is this and not sure how you can prove it
    4. pyroluria - Same as histadellia
    5. Having celtic sea salt several times a day ( this is mainly for fatigue, the others are mainly for anxiety) - Why Celtic Sea Salt? Is that not too much salt. It stops your fatigue by increasing your heart rate and blood pressure. Is that not counterproductive and likely to increase anxiety? Would you not be better off getting more sleep and the salts you need from a proper diet?

Why do you say its physical rather than mental?

Not mant as a criticism, just curious. My psych tells me look east for help. The book (Mindful Way Through Depression which my consultant gave me) claims that over 60% of people with depression can come off meds through mindfulness. My mates Dad is proof of this!

I am big in to scientific proof but there are loads of studies about helping anxiety/depression through mindulness, yoga etc. As stated before I am an advocate of Transcendental Meditation. Helps me loads.

I would prefer the 7th but open to suggestions.

I think we should go with the 7th December then. As people might have stuff on in the evening (it being the season) I'm going to say 3.00 pm somewhere in Dublin city centre. Maybe the Octogon Bar in the Clarence or the Duke in Duke Street. I'll confirm at a later date. Let me know how that suits and I will remind you nearer the time. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

hi everyone havent had the heart to post here for a long long time. I dont want to as all I seem to do is vent.
    Im very agitated and feel like a complete failure in society. I feel like a waste of space and air.
    I have thoughts whizzing around my head of all the things I really need to do to have a life back. But im ignoring them. Im frightened.
    I have been out of work for over a year now and financially everything is just bad. Im petrified about the mortgage payments. Im afraid to go out now and afraid to meet people. I feel my brain is going to pack up.
    I go to speak and cant find the words, ive began stuttering which I never did.
    How did I get to this.??
    The thought of going back to work actually makes me vomit with fear.
    Im a year out of a bad relationsip,paying for a house that holds bad memories, wanting to be alone all the time frustrated and sad that my life is a failure. I see no brightness in my future.
    im currently on effexor, having changed meds twice already this year. It just all seems to hard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭tosspot15

Has anybody here ever availed of the new Counselling in Primary Care service? I have a 2 week waiting list before I can be seen but I have no idea what its going to involve.

handbagmad wrote: »
    hi everyone havent had the heart to post here for a long long time. I dont want to as all I seem to do is vent.
    Im very agitated and feel like a complete failure in society. I feel like a waste of space and air.
    I have thoughts whizzing around my head of all the things I really need to do to have a life back. But im ignoring them. Im frightened.
    I have been out of work for over a year now and financially everything is just bad. Im petrified about the mortgage payments. Im afraid to go out now and afraid to meet people. I feel my brain is going to pack up.
    I go to speak and cant find the words, ive began stuttering which I never did.
    How did I get to this.??
    The thought of going back to work actually makes me vomit with fear.
    Im a year out of a bad relationsip,paying for a house that holds bad memories, wanting to be alone all the time frustrated and sad that my life is a failure. I see no brightness in my future.
    im currently on effexor, having changed meds twice already this year. It just all seems to hard
    Sorry to hear you're feeling crappy.

Do you have support in the form of a therapist / counsellor? Who has been over-seeing your med changes?

On the practical side of it, have you spoken to the bank?

Gillo, I am not a scientist and the Copper diagnosis does not have mainstream acceptance in medical circles. However the treatment works. All minerals in the body antagonize each other and too much copper lowers zinc levels. I suggest that someone who is more tech savvy find and put up some links about these conditions. There are only about 100 Doctors in the world treating anxiety in this way which began at the Pfeiffer Research Institute in Ohio, now the William Walsh Research Institute. Biobalance.org is where you can find more information on these conditions. It is all based on rebalancing the bodys' biochemistry. Now, I am based in Oz, it is morning here and a school day for me. Will get back here later. Ps, it is thought that Irish soil may be zinc deficient and that may be the reason for such a high incidence of copper overload in Ireland. I once looked for this on the net and found lots of info about sheep there being high in copper!!! Yes some foods are very high in copper, especially a vegetarian diet, meat has the most zinc. I have to take 100mg daily which is a very high dose, so food alone could not have the same effect.

Re ulinbac, I dont have time to properly reply, but I had never had any major trauma in my life, so could not accept that I was a nervous, stressed exhausted wreck because of any life experience. I am a very practical person who has a charmed life in every other way, so it just didn't add up that I had psychological problems.

I just recalled that William Walshe was once a guest on the Pat Kenny show. It would be great if someone could put that up here.

• Advertisement

Chrisita wrote: »
    Re ulinbac, I dont have time to properly reply, but I had never had any major trauma in my life, so could not accept that I was a nervous, stressed exhausted wreck because of any life experience. I am a very practical person who has a charmed life in every other way, so it just didn't add up that I had psychological problems.

Hi Chrisita, you don't need trauma to suffer from depression or anxiety. I am very lucky to have a caring family who love me and who have raised me well. I still jave anxiety though.

Have you ever been accessed by a psych? Vitamins do play a major role. I train hard and was taking in a lot of calories but was always tired and thus gave anxiety. Was as simple as eating too much. Not tired anymore and helped it.

From my own research there are a lot of anxiety cases that are from a vitamin B12 deficiency and when this was replaced it stopped it, so I'm not disagreeing with you. I have studied anxiety in depth (so much so that my consultant has told me that I know more than the average doc on it but would never give an opinion per se to someone suffering bar see your gp) and had never come across what you said. Hence the questions. As said before, I'm not saying your wrong, just curious.

Anxiety is not chemical like depreasion. In a physical sense I think its more a state of mind. Mindfulness is only recently been accepted here for it and it really works, with time and effort.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement