Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭alias141282

Billy7878 wrote: »
    ye they are very difficult to snap out of, do you do much exercise when them, Ive found that since I started exercising whenever i get ruminating thoughts it helps me to break out of the cycle, they are the worst thing ever can really get me bogged down

I also have a particularly hard time forgiving myself for not getting help sooner. I keep thinking what if etc. Its torture.

By the way I find watching a comedy clip or movie can help stop obsessive rumination for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I think things are getting a little bit better.
    But you know when you just can't help thinking "will I never lose this? Will I always be like this, fighting the worrying? Will I have to just live with this?"
    It's one of those mornings.Reading my post above does help (the advice filled one!)
    I'm just so tired lately aswell....think the exercise has to come back this week for me too, getting out of bed is becoming harder and harder.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Hi, basically I've been out of work for almost a year & in the last 6 months I've been finding it very hard to go to sleep at normal hours. I'm 25 now & had been working since I was 16 until last year so it has been a pretty big lifestyle change. Usually cant go to sleep until about 5 or 6 in the morning & not waking up until mid-day. Thats not normal is it? It's starting to f*ck with my head & I'm starting to get I'd say mild - moderate depression from it. And the last couple of months I get very anxious/nervy by myself in public for some reason which I never had a problem with before. I'm hoping to start a computer course soon which will hopefully keep my mind a bit more occupied.

Is this something that I should go see a doctor about do you think? Or is there any type of sleeping aid I could get without going to a doctor something over the counter or any herbal remedies I could try?

For anyone who has had to see a doctor about something like this what type of questions will a doctor ask & what would he more than likely prescribe me? I don't have a medical card either how would this effect things?

I'd rather not see a doctor & not have to be prescribed tablets but if its for the best than I'd be willing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Having dealt with unemployment the last few months, it is, unfortunately, very important to try and keep a routine.Going to bed at a reasonable hour and getting up at a reasonable hour are important.Several of my friends are in a similar situation to you and have had to stop it and force themselves back into normal hours.

Can you set yourself a routine for the mornings at least? Get up at say 9am, have breakfast, go for a walk or to the gym? Exercise becomes hugely, hugely important when you're unemployed I found, because it burns off the excess energy you have after sitting around all day (and especially if you're someone who's used to working), gets you out of the house, gets your happy endorphins flowing and helps you sleep properly!!!

If you are a member of a gym, and can set up a programme for yourself, with targets, that's good as you've got goals to focus on. If not, maybe you could aim to train for a mini marathon, or a half triathlon, just to give yourself goals? Or even just keep it simple and aim to run a certain distance or something.

What you're doing now is a routine that many unemployed people fall into, and as you say, it's not good for your head. I know how incredibly hard it is. You should also try volunteering or even see if you can get one of the FAS WPP courses.Anything to fill your time or create some sort of a routine. Just because you're unemployed doesn't mean you can't have a routine for yourself. I also have a friend who's been unemployed 18 months now, and like you, has said he's finding himself very anxious in the odd interview, or when he's meeting new people. You are definitely not the only one.

A trip to your GP may be no harm if it would make you feel better - they may give you tips to make things work a bit better for you.Unemployment is depressing - I am only too aware of how it feels. However there are a number of very simple things you can do like exercise, sleeping properly, eating properly and possibly volunteering (check out www.volunteer.ie) that can help you feel better, and none of them will require pills.

(Edit: Sorry for crashing in on this thread)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

tdv123 wrote: »
    Hi, basically I've been out of work for almost a year & in the last 6 months I've been finding it very hard to go to sleep at normal hours. I'm 25 now & had been working since I was 16 until last year so it has been a pretty big lifestyle change. Usually cant go to sleep until about 5 or 6 in the morning & not waking up until mid-day. Thats not normal is it? It's starting to f*ck with my head & I'm starting to get I'd say mild - moderate depression from it. And the last couple of months I get very anxious/nervy by myself in public for some reason which I never had a problem with before. I'm hoping to start a computer course soon which will hopefully keep my mind a bit more occupied.

Is this something that I should go see a doctor about do you think? Or is there any type of sleeping aid I could get without going to a doctor something over the counter or any herbal remedies I could try?

For anyone who has had to see a doctor about something like this what type of questions will a doctor ask & what would he more than likely prescribe me? I don't have a medical card either how would this effect things?

I'd rather not see a doctor & not have to be prescribed tablets but if its for the best than I'd be willing.

I would definately say you should try and get up early in the morning. Set your alarm for 8 or 9. The first night or two will be tough cos you still probably wont get to sleep until 5 or 6 but that should sort itself out. Theres nothing worse than lying awake at night. It's always my worst time. I start thinking about everything. At least in the morning and day theres something around to distract slightly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

Anyone here do the whole moving in with their other half thing and find it an absolutely terrifying idea?

I have made a GP appointment, as I'm a quivering mess this morning.
    I'm starting a new job tomorrow and have to be in another county for the first few days for it. I am terrified. And feeding this terror is the fact that I am so, so tired, which worries me even more because I don't know how I'll handle a new job while this tired and with the worrying......
    I need so badly to talk to somebody about the state I'm in this morning, and everyone is at work and unavailable, and I've to travel this afternoon.So GP it is; hoping they can give me recommendations for a counsellor. I seem to have gone from somebody who was quite happy with life to somebody who doesn't want to get out of bed or leave the house, and that's not a good sign.So I think now is the time to ask for help properly.Life is overcoming me a bit at the moment, and I'm not happy with that.

tdv123 wrote: »

If you feel you are getting depressed then yes you should talk to someone. Your GP would be a good start. You are dealing with unemployment so it is very normal to feel depressed. Your GP might talk to you about better ways of coping. You could ask for a referral to a counsellor. Whether or not your GP would prescribe medication would depend on the severity of your depression. It sounds to me like your confidence has taken a knock as a result of your unemployment and you are feeling a bit depressed and anxious. Thats quite different from having a major mood disorder. However best to talk to your doctor about it. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭SL10

I have made a GP appointment, as I'm a quivering mess this morning.
    I'm starting a new job tomorrow and have to be in another county for the first few days for it. I am terrified. And feeding this terror is the fact that I am so, so tired, which worries me even more because I don't know how I'll handle a new job while this tired and with the worrying......
    I need so badly to talk to somebody about the state I'm in this morning, and everyone is at work and unavailable, and I've to travel this afternoon.So GP it is; hoping they can give me recommendations for a counsellor. I seem to have gone from somebody who was quite happy with life to somebody who doesn't want to get out of bed or leave the house, and that's not a good sign.So I think now is the time to ask for help properly.Life is overcoming me a bit at the moment, and I'm not happy with that.

Hey PanicCentral,

Hope you are feeling better after going to the GP. I know how hard it can be to start the new job and do all the travelling (i seem to have developed an intense fear of all transport lately) but hopefully after the doctors you will feel up to task and then after you have done it you will feel much better. Dont forget that tomorrow in work you can always get up and do a 20 min walk around the block. I find this really helps me calm down particularly if I ring someone on my walk for a chat. People will just think you are in the toilet or something. Hope that helps!

Best of luck with the new job and the travelling

Haven't been sleeping properly since friday night,have had about 4 and a half hours sleep altogether since then and am feeling utterly ****e and am starting to haluconate from the tiredness(thinking that im seeing rats and that the floor is moving like an escalatoir).It's probably my meds disagreeing wqith me again cos this happened before when I was on the lustral.Am seeing the psychologist on friday so will say it to him,the psych dr that I was seeing left at the start of january and dont know what the story is with seeing anothert one,hopefuly the psychologist will be able to set me up with a new one.Sorry about the spelling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 lowlife

lowlife i've edited you r post because it contains incorrect information about drugs

I just found this thread and i've a feeling i'll become a regular poster, just reading through some of the pages has made me realize how many people are in a similar place to me.

I don't enjoy reading about other peoples suffering and pain, but after having a good read here i feel less alone, more often than not when i'm going through a bad patch just talking to someone who understands, without being told "cop on", "Its none of my business" or "Stop being silly" can get me through it.

How's everyone feeling today?

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

phi3 wrote: »
    Anyone here do the whole moving in with their other half thing and find it an absolutely terrifying idea?

Yup, that was me about 18 months ago. I was terrified of being around him all the time, didn't want him to see me being anxious or panicky. At one point I was so paranoid about it I thought he was going to have me sectioned.

But it's turned out to be the best decision I ever made. I wasn't really dealing with my depression at all before we were living together. But when he had a chance to see it, 24/7, and see how low I could be, then he was in a position to help. He finally persuaded me to see my GP and a therapist, and managed to get me out of bed on the days when I didn't even want to be alive. Even now he's a great support when I have a bad day.

I don't know your OH, or what your relationship is like. It was some of the toughest times for us, but in the end it was worth it. Let us know what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I've been trying to come off my meds for about 6 months now but I just came from the doctor and I'm back up on a high dosage and she wants me to go back to counselling. She said I shouldn't be disappointed that I couldn't cope without them, and some people have a longer recovery rate or something and that I can still get better. I do feel a bit disappointed in myself though, kinda weak like!

But hopefully my meds will start working again soon and I won't feel so crap all the time.

I've been trying to come off my meds for about 6 months now but I just came from the doctor and I'm back up on a high dosage and she wants me to go back to counselling. She said I shouldn't be disappointed that I couldn't cope without them, and some people have a longer recovery rate or something and that I can still get better. I do feel a bit disappointed in myself though, kinda weak like!

But hopefully my meds will start working again soon and I won't feel so crap all the time.

I'm going back on meds this week after a year off them and I feel really disappointed in myself. I thought I could beat depression with CBT. I thought if I really worked hard at it and did everything right I could beat it and the truth is I can't.

On the other hand it takes courage to admit you need help.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 CapnMark

Took myself off my meds 10 days ago and there was an instant improvement.
    Was no longer feeling exhausted all the time and was starting to get back into a normal sleep pattern.

My Fiance left me on Tuesday. Perfect timing. I guess she could no longer cope with my mood. She says she still loves me but cannot be in a relationship right now.

Odd thing is I dont think the depression is coming back. I feel stronger and my Psychologist was a great help this morning.

If it didnt hurt so much I would be laughing, what else can possibly happen to me? If this didnt break me then nothing will.

I am handing in my notice at work next week. I just need time to heal and find myself again. I used to be a great person to be around. I need to find it again.

Has anyone on here tried valdoxan?

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

I really feel like I'm unravelling this week. Most of the time it's like I'm trying to chase the thread that I've lost so I can pick it up and get back to where I was but the more I do the more unravelled I feel.

I know that I need a day to sit down, pick up my journal and write everything and anything. And I'm pretty sure I can do that tomorrow, I just hope I can hold onto my sanity until then.

Saw the psychologist today and also got a new psychiatrist but I dont like him,he was looking at me like I was something stuck on the bottom of his shoe and was very condescending in the way he was talking to me.He put me back on lithium which I really didnt want cos it means that I'll be peeing every 20 mins and will have to get bloods done again and again and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Reactor

Seems like this thread has gone on a bit of a downer lately when things were picking up a bit before Xmas.

Does anyone have any advice for intrusive thoughts, especially ones involving anger and rage? Like I was in a stupid argument with a flatmate ages ago and he pushed me and now Ive got uncontrollable rage thoughts about beating the sh1t out of them, i never would but I cant stop thinking about it even though I know how petty it is, I cant concentrate on anything positive because my mind always goes back to this, its really wrecking my head.

• Advertisement

Reactor wrote: »
    Seems like this thread has gone on a bit of a downer lately when things were picking up a bit before Xmas.

Does anyone have any advice for intrusive thoughts, especially ones involving anger and rage? Like I was in a stupid argument with a flatmate ages ago and he pushed me and now Ive got uncontrollable rage thoughts about beating the sh1t out of them, i never would but I cant stop thinking about it even though I know how petty it is, I cant concentrate on anything positive because my mind always goes back to this, its really wrecking my head.

My last councelor told me to write a letter to whoever it is that is making you angry, everything you want to say to them. Then tear it up! Don't keep it whatever you do. And then beat up your pillow :D

I do a kickboxing class now, really helps with the rage, picture someone's face on the pads as you punch. Maybe a bit of exercise?

That's good advice!
    I've been ok the last couple of days, because new job = less thinking time. On Wednesday I honestly thought I was losing the plot, that I'd never be able to leave the house again. And the worst thing is my anxiety is not socially based - it's centred on my OH for some reason (when I am panicking, it's worrying about losing him). But I also get terrified at the thought that I might feel panicked when I'm out and about and interacting with people. Hence the terror at the thought of a new job, new people, and possible anxiety attacks while in that situation.It's a very vicious circle.
    I also find (and I think it's because of my stint of unemployment) that I can feel my stress levels rising when I go home everyday. I can't seem to sit in the house and relax - it's something I've never been good at, and since the unemployment, when I was getting cabin fever, it's got worse.So I worry about not being able to go home and enjoy my home, and then on top of that worry about my OH....it's all a big pile of worry!!!
    Anyway, my exercise regime is back on track, and the new job is good so far.I think my New Year's Resolutions need to be to learn to relax, both my body and my brain.
    I hope everyone else isn't feeling too bad today.As the saying goes - "courage doesn't roar.Sometimes it's the little voice at the end of the say that says "I'll try again tomorrow""

Reactor wrote: »

Exercise always worked for me. But I found out recently that I do some of my best work when im in a Rage. Try channelling it into doing something productive. Harness the anger and make it work for you instead of against you.

But that could be just me.

My last councelor told me to write a letter to whoever it is that is making you angry, everything you want to say to them. Then tear it up! Don't keep it whatever you do. And then beat up your pillow :D

I do a kickboxing class now, really helps with the rage, picture someone's face on the pads as you punch. Maybe a bit of exercise?

Lol, reminds me of the time I used to punch doors :) A bag would have been a much better idea! Well done Peach!

As above, things have just gone way over my shoulders right now... I am in the middle of college exams at the minute, working part-time, have an extremely stressful family life (even thought I moved away 4 years ago, it has always haunted me) and a history of depression which nobody except my GP and counsellor know about.

Over the last few years, I have had my ups and downs (mainly downs) but I have always managed to pull through. Until mid-august I was on medication, the doctor felt that it wasnt working and that I would be better off recovering on my own steam...

So this week got off to a very bad start...I live the other end of the country from home and I contribute to my family as they are earning little at the moment. Thats grand and all, like its my family, I wouldn't like to see my mother or sister stuck financially...as for my father he can rot in hell for all I care. The pressure has been to give more and more money. I work all the hours that I physically can with college.

I was 'home' over xmas and told both my parents that I would be giving up my part-time job at the end of Jan as I was starting my college placement which is like 40 hours work per week, mon-fri! They were furious, they were basically saying that they wouldn't cope financially...

My problem is with all of the above and my fathers antics over the past 17 or so years, it has all literally caught up with me; I have been so upset all week, to the point I have been self-harming again, searching my drawers for old meds (anti-d's) to help settle me down but couldn't find nothing (prob luckily).

So I decided I'd go to my GP, I was in a pretty emotional state and I basically asked him out straight for meds to help me through basically...he refused, though he was probably right (not the first time in the last 3 weeks I asked).

Tonight, I am on my own...still havn't settled down and won't see anyone for the weekend, only the people I work with. I don't know how I am going to manage until Monday....I am just so stressed, shaken and upset. Things are catching up with me!

intears wrote: »
    As above, things have just gone way over my shoulders right now... I am in the middle of college exams at the minute, working part-time, have an extremely stressful family life (even thought I moved away 4 years ago, it has always haunted me) and a history of depression which nobody except my GP and counsellor know about.

Over the last few years, I have had my ups and downs (mainly downs) but I have always managed to pull through. Until mid-august I was on medication, the doctor felt that it wasnt working and that I would be better off recovering on my own steam...

So this week got off to a very bad start...I live the other end of the country from home and I contribute to my family as they are earning little at the moment. Thats grand and all, like its my family, I wouldn't like to see my mother or sister stuck financially...as for my father he can rot in hell for all I care. The pressure has been to give more and more money. I work all the hours that I physically can with college.

I was 'home' over xmas and told both my parents that I would be giving up my part-time job at the end of Jan as I was starting my college placement which is like 40 hours work per week, mon-fri! They were furious, they were basically saying that they wouldn't cope financially...

My problem is with all of the above and my fathers antics over the past 17 or so years, it has all literally caught up with me; I have been so upset all week, to the point I have been self-harming again, searching my drawers for old meds (anti-d's) to help settle me down but couldn't find nothing (prob luckily).

So I decided I'd go to my GP, I was in a pretty emotional state and I basically asked him out straight for meds to help me through basically...he refused, though he was probably right (not the first time in the last 3 weeks I asked).

Tonight, I am on my own...still havn't settled down and won't see anyone for the weekend, only the people I work with. I don't know how I am going to manage until Monday....I am just so stressed, shaken and upset. Things are catching up with me!

Do you see a counselor? If your doctor thought your meds weren't working then your next step is to give counselling a try. I think it would be good for you since you know a lot of the reasons that get you down, so a counselor would help you find ways of coping with your family problems. Since your in college I'm sure theres a free counselling service. Give a ring on Monday and make an appointment. At least give it a try,

I'm afraid I have been going to counselling for the past three years, even seeing a psycotherapist (sp?) for the last year and have also been seeing the mental health team up until recent months. I have for the most-part given up...I came to a decision over xmas that I needed to take a break from counselling and the guys at the hospital as I simply couldn't take it...thats where I'm at a loose end

Was in a similar situation a few years back with my dad,was basically being guilt tripped into working as much OT as I possibly could to help keep my parents afloat financially because of my dads gambling debts,never experienced stress like it in my life.Doctor and counsellor and my boss flat out told me that I would never be able to please everybody so I might aswell just look after myself.So I stopped the crazy shifts and stopped the money(though I always make sure my ma is looked after).It wasnt easy at the start cause I felt awful about it,but I was heading for a nervous breakdown if I kept it up.

Hi DFB87,

I have previously tried cutting off ties with part of my family before xmas, but then when I was there for xmas I felt so gulity. I have been away from home for almost four years now and never in all those years has my father contacted me nor I him.

I dread what the consequences of my actions could be as my father is/was a violent man (esp when he's drinking)

For the most-part, my main priority is getting through this weekend...all I seem to be doing atm is trying to distract myself!

• Advertisement

Hi again,

I know,its not easy to cut the family ties at all,I just try to keep myself as busy as possible to try keep my mind off it.Sessions with the doctor and counsellor are also a great help to me even if I do find talking about my emotions/feelings very awkward and very tiring emotionally.

Maybe you should think about going back to your counsellor,it really is not good to be bottling all that stress and all those feelings up,and at least you would be able to vent and get his/her unbiased opinion on things.

Also,if you and your GP dont get on,maybe you could find a new one who is a bit more sympathetic?I had to do that aswell because my work doctor hadn't a clue about mental health stuff.

Just hang in there and try to do something that you enjoy to take your mind off your worries,things will get better eventualy(I know that sounds like bullshít but its true),believe me!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement